• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Is Uncharted 4 the generational leap we were hoping for?

Yep. that's what I'd change first if I were modeling them.

Maybe his face looks like this if you could turn it around post-LOD transition.
Hhh.JPG

Replicant

Enemies flanking hard from all sides is nothing new on Uncharted. It's been that way on the Crushing difficulty of the game. Notably on the ship's hull area of UC3. It's one of the most frustrating part of the game in Crushing as one small margin of error is not tolerated.

Fdkn

Enemies flanking hard from all sides is nothing new on Uncharted. It's been that way on the Crushing difficulty of the game. Notably on the ship's hull area of UC3. It's one of the most frustrating part of the game in Crushing as one small margin of error is not tolerated.

its called crushing for a reason.

What I've seen of UC4, while gorgeous, doesn't look better than ACU.

acu_2014_11_18_20_00_k9ett.png

acu_2014_11_16_21_35_hxd1t.png

Those are downsampled shots from the PC. ACU looks like rear end on the PS4.

These two screenshots of ACU are mine and there are not downsampled.

There are from my playthrough on the PC (4790K, 970 G1, 16GB RAM) as I was playing the game (1080p@30fps, Ultra).

Yes, ACU is a very beautiful game (especially the lighting is excellent) but these screenshots are not representative of the whole game. The graphics in ACU are a bit inconsistent, from very, very good to mediocre.

Ryse (PC) has even better graphics than ACU but in my opinion UC4 has the best graphics that I have ever seen. But we have see only a stage from UC4. We will see.

I am playing mainly on the PC and buying always a PlayStation for the exclusives but I have to say that in this generation the first party games for PS4 are just stunning.

PS: Can't wait for God of War and Gran Turismo on PS4...

Happy.gif

I always see comparisons to AC:U.

Maybe it's my TV but the game looks horrible most of the time on xb1 for me. It also runs like crap. This looked like it was running pretty damn good. I have faith ND will keep improving

SaberEdge

Three words: Pre Alpha Build.

Some people keep repeating these words like a mantra, but it's not as significant as those people assume.

First of all, pre-alpha is a fairly nebulous term. I've seen it used to describe widely differing states of development by various studios.

Second of all, the overall game might be "pre-alpha" in Naughty Dog's estimation, but this particular demo is surely a much more polished slice of the game. I guarantee a lot of work went into making this demo as beautiful and as smooth as possible. This particular demo is not what we would normally consider pre-alpha, not even close.

Furthermore, previous Naughty Dog games did not dramatically improve between their first gameplay showings and the final games. The following debut gameplay of Uncharted 3 was released nearly a year before the game came out and I can't say the final game looked very different. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UnlwTX_63o
Same thing goes for The Last of Us, which had its debut gameplay trailer come out a year before the game released and still doesn't show any dramatic improvements over that time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbLOokeC3VU

On top of all that, we are assuming that Naughty Dog is going to try to get UC4 up to 60fps. That alone is going to require a lot of effort and optimization. In a normal scenario we could expect that reaching such a framerate target might even necessitate certain visual elements being pared back.

There's simply no evidence to support the idea that UC4 will dramatically improve graphically between now and whenever it releases in 2015.

Some people keep repeating these words like a mantra, but it's not as significant as those people assume.

First of all, pre-alpha is a fairly nebulous term. I've seen it used to describe widely differing states of development by various studios.

Second of all, the overall game might be "pre-alpha" in Naughty Dog's estimation, but this particular demo is surely a much more polished slice of the game. I guarantee a lot of work went into making this demo as beautiful and as smooth as possible. This particular demo is not what we would normally consider pre-alpha, not even close.

Furthermore, previous Naughty Dog games did not dramatically improve between their first gameplay showings and the final games. The following debut gameplay of Uncharted 3 was released nearly a year before the game came out and I can't say the final game looked very different. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UnlwTX_63o
Same thing goes for The Last of Us, which had its debut gameplay trailer come out a year before the game released and still doesn't show any dramatic improvements over that time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbLOokeC3VU

On top of all that, we are assuming that Naughty Dog is going to try to get UC4 up to 60fps. That alone is going to require a lot of effort and optimization. In a normal scenario we could expect that reaching such a framerate target might even necessitate certain visual elements being pared back.

There's simply no evidence to support the idea that UC4 will dramatically improve graphically between now and whenever it releases in 2015.

Also : http://www.examiner.com/article/uncharted-2-receives-graphics-upgrade

And this: http://n4g.com/news/861504/uncharted-3-drakes-deception-video-comparison#c-5921040

And only few months elapsed between the two versions of both games.

Once again, referencing "upgrades" to prerendered cutscenes on an entirely different machine (one where extracting power from it was a chore) is just... confusing.

UC4 will get better looking, but not akin to the radical that occured over the PS3's life time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
An important reminder to watch the gamma corrected gameplay. My opinion of the lighting and shadowing is much higher after seeing it with proper gamma.

Once again, referencing "upgrades" to prerendered cutscenes on an entirely different machine (one where extracting power from it was a chore) is just... confusing.

UC4 will get better looking, but not akin to the radical that occured over the PS3's life time.

upgrades are upgrades, and you didn't even read my comparison about Uncharted 3 where I was talking about gameplay elements too. And I also showed you how ND are mimicking PS3 architecture when coding on PS4 (it is abvious since their engine was PS3 centric)

upgrades are upgrades, and you ddin't even read my comparison about Uncharted 3 where I was talking about gameplay elements too.

What happened in the PS3 and in PS3 titles is not wholly relatable to this game and this hardware.

And yes, games get (usually!) better looking over development (regarding that UC3 stuff, which btw reads in some places not as improving graphical techniques, but rather tagging stuff over multiple iteration passes to make the games quality more consistent). But expecting something similar to what happened to GOWIII or... UC1 to UC2 kinda stuff is unrealistic given how much more straightforward the PS4 is.

What happened in the PS3 and in PS3 titles is not wholly relatable to this game and this hardware.

And yes, games get (usually!) better looking over development (regarding that UC3 stuff, which btw reads in some places not as improving graphical techniques, but rather tagging stuff over multiple iteration passes to make the games quality more consistent). But expecting something similar to what happened to GOWIII or... UC1 to UC2 kinda stuff is unrealistic given how much more straightforward the PS4 is.

TBH. No one can predict the future, this gen is only in its beginning. Many skilled devs like Gaben and Carmack expected no future for PS3 because of its architecture and look what happened at the end. On paper, PS4 has not the same possible hardware future as PS3 since it is more straight forward like you said, but we can evaluate and verify such claims only at the end of this gen.

b0bbyJ03

I always see comparisons to AC:U.

Maybe it's my TV but the game looks horrible most of the time on xb1 for me. It also runs like crap. This looked like it was running pretty damn good. I have faith ND will keep improving

I play it in PC at ultra and can tell u that its the prettiest game I've ever seen. The problem is that it doesn't impress me cause I'm too focused on how it plays like shit the whole time. Uncharted will be beautiful, but most importantly, it will play great.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I also want to note that I love the physics implementation in this. The vegetation and that gun strap move very naturally.

There still could be significant improvements, especially if SDK updates open more hardware to devs (which is likely to happen sometime in the next year. Won't be night and day but still meaningful.

Truth is there was not a radical upgrade to ps3 games depending on which devs you use.
Still ND has yet to ship a game so going to be interesting to see there engine and there first game on PS4.
EDIT and yes i not counting TLOU.

TBH. No one can predict the future, this gen is only in its beginning. Many skilled devs like Gaben and Carmack expected no future for PS3 because of its architecture and look what happened at the end. On paper, PS4 has not the same possible hardware future as PS3 since it is more straight forward like you said, but we can evaluate and verify such claims only at the end of this gen.
No one can predict the future indeed. But it is best to be realistic about things and create analogies based upon stuff that is similar... not wholly different (as the PS3 is hardwarewise).
There still could be significant improvements, especially if SDK updates open more hardware to devs (which is likely to happen sometime in the next year. Won't be night and day but still meaningful.
I will remain somewhat skeptical of anything looking signifcantly better than what we have already seen. A large part of last gen games looking better overtime was the time lag for devs to make use of more complex shading as offered by shader model 3.0 stuff (hence why a number of PS3/xbox360 release games look kinda like upscaled PS2 stuff). So instead of games looking better by getting away from the abstraction level or unlocking power from the hardware, I think new techniques to render similar looking stuff will progress.

A good exaxmple of you already seeing this happening this gen is the massive push towards PBR. Not that much more computationally expensive, just more intelligent tbh. The difference in AC4 and ACU show this quite well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I will remain somewhat skeptical of anything looking signifcantly better than what we have already seen. A large part of last gen games looking better overtime was the time lag for devs to make use of more complex shading as offered by shader model 3.0 stuff (hence why a number of PS3/xbox360 release games look kinda like upscaled PS2 stuff). So instead of games looking better by getting away from the abstraction level or unlocking power from the hardware, I think new techniques to render similar looking stuff will progress.
Significant was probably the wrong term there. Meaningful and noticeable would probably be more appropriate.

Also for me, and I know for you as well, the addition of high quality object based motion blur would be a significant improvement and would allow the already exceptional animation to really shine. Even if ND isn't miles ahead of the pack in terms of visuals and tech, they still have many of the best animators in the industry and it'll show.

I'd also LOVE to see PBR if it's doable.

So instead of games looking better by getting away from the abstraction level or unlocking power from the hardware, I think new techniques to render similar looking stuff will progress.

I agree about that too. Even if the hardware advances gradually, when the same techniques stay the same being too voarcious in ressources, the hardware upgrade will be even worthless and not enough. Techniques should progress too and new more effective ones must be invented too.

Significant was probably the wrong term there. Meaningful and noticeable would probably be more appropriate.

Also for me, and I know for you as well, the addition of high quality object based motion blur would be a significant improvement and would allow the already exceptional animation to really shine. Even if ND isn't miles ahead of the pack in terms of visuals and tech, they still have many of the best animators in the industry and it'll show.

I'd also LOVE to see PBR if it's doable.
Everything. Repeat. Everything needs obmb. Especially a game with quality animations like this @ 30fps! (priming the weapon would look even cooler)

Also, I would be really surprised if this wasnt already using a lot of stuff that makes up PBR. It would be dd for a studio so entrenched in tech to missappraise using one of the biggest advances in real time graphics for the last 5 years.

I agree about that too. Even if the hardware advances gradually, when the same techniques stay the same being too voarcious in ressources, the hardware upgrade will be even worthless and not enough. Techniques should progress too and new more effective ones must be invented too.
word up!

vpance

Also, I would be really surprised if this wasnt already using a lot of stuff that makes up PBR. It would be dd for a studio so entrenched in tech to missappraise using one of the biggest advances in real time graphics for the last 5 years.

Maybe in TLoU2 or for the new IP. But then will they finally drop the artist drawn textures? I think they should. Looking like concept art is nice, but reality is better.

Maybe in TLoU2 or for the new IP. But then will they finally drop the artist drawn textures? I think they should. Looking like concept art is nice, but reality is better.

I am sure at least the belt on Drake and the weapons use PBR materials. Also hadn drawn textures doesn't mean they can't make them PBR compatible. ND are using substance designer to create their textures (confirmed just like ACU) and this software can create PBR materials and textures.

vpance

I am sure at leats the belt on Drake and the weapons use PBR materials. Also hadn drawn textures doesn't mean they can't make them PBR compatible. ND are using substance designer to create their textures (confirmed just like ACU) and this software can create PBR materials and textures.

Maybe some materials are, but overall the way everything is lit still seems close to previous Uncharteds. It's not like the obvious jump from AC4 to Unity or MGSV "reality" focused lighting. I think the whole pipeline is still very artist driven and tweaked.

Where's this talk of naughty dog not using a physically based rendered coming from?

Not sure. I would be pretty surprised if they werent already following that work flow. I mean.. you can see fresnel and stuff pretty often in the demo (only one part of PBR.. but still).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Where's this talk of naughty dog not using a physically based rendered coming from?
It doesn't appear to be using it in this footage, at least not on everything. I'm guessing the hooks are in if they want to implement it later. It could also be due to the location and lack of certain materials that make it obvious but usually you can instantly tell if it's implemented. For me it's more of a subconscious difference than a readily apparently visual improvement.

Really?

Wow... sometimes it feels as just the "PC stamp" is enough to lead to such embarrassing posts.

Next up we will see how COD3 foliage looks absolutely stunning compared to that UC4 footage...

wow.

Edit: Disregard if you are talking about AC:U . With my apologies. If not, then the above stands. I swear ACU is derailing a lot of threads nowdays...

I think it's just a very vocal, small group of people who keep championing AC:U in these threads.

Iirc, there isn't a single native PS4 first party title released that doesn't use PBR, and it's not really something that you can eyeball from a bit of footage unless obvious shading errors were present.

Edit: actually Knack 99% sure isn't, and probably MLB (always forget sports games exist :p)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Iirc, there isn't a single native PS4 first party title released that doesn't use PBR, and it's not really something that you can eyeball from a bit of footage unless obvious shading errors were present.
I may very well be wrong on this. I'd love to be wrong, to be honest.

To me the UC4 demo is way more impressive graphically than ACU on PC. There's a lot more going on. The density and lushness of the environment, the way the plants sway with the wind and react to drake moving through them, the details on the character models, the way drake's clothes are altered by the wind, mud, water etc. AC's lighting is nice but I'm not that impressed by anything else.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think VFX_Veteran was positing this multiple times in threads but watching the Naughty Dog panel confirms that they are indeed using PBR.
It's been me lately. Very sorry. Did not realize it. Glad it's in.

Just get on that motion blur, ND!

vpance

I think VFX_Veteran was positing this multiple times in threads but watching the Naughty Dog panel, a shading artist confirms that they are indeed using PBR.

noETMx0.png

Interesting. When I look at the gameplay demo I don't get the same feeling of lighting as in Unity or MGS5. Gonna check out that panel video.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Interesting. When I look at the gameplay demo I don't get the same feeling of lighting as in Unity or MGS5. Gonna check out that panel video.
I think it's just the difference between very naturalistic environments and urban environments that was tricking my eye.

Top Bottom