• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Is Uncharted 4 the generational leap we were hoping for?

Can you explain to me what light propagating through water is exactly and what I'm supposed to see that's more impressive? Because it kinda looks like your just taking the piss by comparing a shot in broad daylight (AC:BF) to overcast (UC4) and saying that it's missing specular highlights and lights passing through shit when there's no direct light source.

You are right. They are in different lighting conditions. Having said that though, UC4 foam just doesn't look natural to me. I expect more non-uniform foam like this.

greece___water_by_ludo38-d5hdkvb.jpg

Light propagation through water, leaves or anything where light can travel and illuminate wtih out being totally absorbed is a real physical property. You don't want to model light stopping right at the surface of water and then reflecting away immediately. Since water has an index of refraction of 1.33 (air is 1.0 meaning light rays pass right through air without bending). It will pass through and scatter it's light around until finally exiting back out to your eyes. What you see as a result is water that has more light inside of it.

Now in that dark condition, you may see some random pockets of shallow water vs. deep water. But that's nit-picking. My main complaint is seeing that foam. Perhaps it's the noise texture they are using. Or it's hand placed and not really following any kind of real simulation.

As for UC4 vs Ryse: Waterfall Edition, I can't imagine one looking THAT much better than the other. UC4 has the best I've seen to date. Feel free to throw me a native res video of Ryse waterfalls.

They don't look THAT much better. Agreed. I get Ryse in a day or so. I'm sure I'll take pics of it's waterfall. In that GIF I made of Ryse, I like the way it's spraying more water particles away.. it seems more natural to me.

I also noticed the water in the cave. The reflections are too mirror-like to me even though it's being viewed at such a grazing angle. Water should have some roughness to it and doesn't reflect light in a mirror direction for every photon hitting it. This leads me to believe that water material isn't physically plausible or they saved some GPU cycles by doing a mirror reflection to avoid re-rendering the scene just to add a roughness blur to the reflection and projecting it back onto the surface.

kl_XW2.gif

Rand6

Man, it's crazy the arguments when the games already looks like this:

Uncharted4InGamedemo2_zpsde2a3d58.png

Unchartedingame_zps2aa8e208.png

This was a playable demo from a game a bit ways out, I was surprise it ran as smooth as it does already.

Feel almost like it's just me with how the last few pages went, but this looks incredible to me, I mean damn. o_O

Yep, really pretty.
And it's a Naughty Dog game. We all know it'll be one of the most impressive (if not the most impressive) game next year.

Superflat

I found the panel about Drake really interesting. There are so many cool details in the gameplay demo that I didn't notice. How crazy is it that you can see Drake's pants get wet as he walks into the water. His hair blows in the wind. Heck they even made his chest hair move. I loved when they said "Take that NeoGaf". That is next-gen right there. After I watched the video, I thought that maybe Digital Foundry got it wrong. I want to believe. Naughty Dog is my favorite developer of all time and I completely believe this will be the best looking game ever.

3o2F45o.png

But when I look at the two faces side by side, my brain tells me that the E3 one looks real and the one in the game doesn't. I even tried covering one up and looking at the other to ignore the time of the day. Same thing. I don't know what it is. It's frustrating when I see how much work Naughty Dog put into this. I know other people say its the time of the day but for me it is more than that. Something about the way the light catches his hair and illuminates his face. There's just the right amount of translucency in the e3 Drake to make it look so convincing.

I asked a couple of friends that don't play games if the person in the photo was the same person. They looked at me like I was crazy. They said one looks real and the other looks like it is made out of plastic. Some of them said the game one looks fake, sick, or not alive.

In the end, it doesn't matter. The game is still early and looks freaking unbelievable. Not just the graphics, but the next-gen game play. I can't wait to play it.

In your photo example, just know that the "E3" drake looks like it's photo taken off a monitor, making everything look softer and blooming the light, making it look "more real", not to mention the brightness and color has been messed with as well.

This is my half-assed attempt at recreating that with the UC4 demo shot:

ibhwys0xDnefVu.png

ib0bJsW3U9j7mD.png

It's weird 'cause to me, because the more I look at the two models the more I see how similar they are and how little the gap is, if there even is one. E3 Drake (or "jungle Drake" as penned by ND artists) by definition has more detail because he's beat to shit, suffering from massive sunburn, has sand all over his face, and dripping with sweat and water, lit by the moon for contrast.

i2U1VQ6USMbhF.png

Zabka

I also noticed the water in the cave. The reflections are too mirror-like to me even though it's being viewed at such a grazing angle. Water should have some roughness to it and doesn't reflect light in a mirror direction for every photon hitting it. This leads me to believe that water material isn't physically plausible or they saved some GPU cycles by doing a mirror reflection to avoid re-rendering the scene just to add a roughness blur to the reflection and projecting it back onto the surface.

kl_XW2.gif
You're killing me with these tiny, terrible quality gifs man.

Well, you'll be happy to know then that most PBR games right now do use a lambertian diffuse, mainly because the cost/benift ratio for something like Oren-Nayar is a bit ridiculous.

Can you name some games that still use Lambertian but claim to have a PBR engine? I'm curious.

For very specific materials you could potentialy make a case for better diffuse, but it's a tiny payoff.
Crytek disagrees. They are literally using Oren-Nayar and GGX + Cooke Torrance -- all physically plausible models.

And yes, GGX does give nicer specular in general, but it's as much of a hack as Blinn-Phong and all the others.

A hack? All of those models are hacks. Hell, rendering is a hack by definition. What's that point though? It still is the closest representation to real chrome tail as you going to get.

In the end, this is physically "based", not physically accurate.

Well, then I wouldn't define the gaming term PBR to the film term PBR since we do use energy conservation and proper models to keep light energy behaving in an accurate manner.

We're a long way from that yet. And again, several PBR based games shipped with Blinn Phong.

Please point me to some links. I'm genuinely curious.

None of this maters though, because you have no clue what uncharted is using so you can't say it's more or less advanced than anything else.

And I said that too. I can only go by what I see.

kl_XW2.gif

Again you are just speculating without any exact details about what has been used in Uncharted 4. A while ago you claimed the game doesn't use any type of PBR then when proven worng, you just try to find a pretext just to downplay the game while no being based on anything related to U4 engine. Did you know that water and mud both have same reflectivity and that many materials and variables intervene to display teh final result?

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
"Further, an investigation of real world materials will show that reflectivity values do not vary widely (see the earlier section on conductivity). A good example would be water and mud: both have very similar reflectivity, but since mud is quite rough and the surface of a puddle is very smooth, they appear very different in terms of their reflections. An artist creating such a scene in a PBR system would author the difference primarily through gloss or roughness maps rather than adjusting reflectivity, as shown below:"
pbr_theory_watermud.png

Again many elements of the environment and their respective values will give the final results according to the materials used in that scene and their respective properties. You can't just come up with unfounded speculations just to satisfy your ego.

the problem is, the creators of jak and daxter are the creators of Unc and TLOUS.

I know that and I read few days ago that TLOU started as a Jak And Daxter project and lasted only 2 months in the drawing boards but they couldn't find the suitable formula for the story and gameplay so they ditched it and opted for another ip and ideas.

Crayon

In your photo example, just know that the "E3" drake looks like it's photo taken off a monitor, making everything look softer and blooming the light, making it look "more real", not to mention the brightness and color has been messed with as well.

It's weird 'cause to me, because the more I look at the two models the more I see how similar they are and how little the gap is, if there even is one. E3 Drake (or "jungle Drake" as penned by ND artists) by definition has more detail because he's beat to shit, suffering from massive sunburn, has sand all over his face, and dripping with sweat and water, lit by the moon for contrast.

That's what I was sayin... it looks like an off screen shot. Makes it more contrasty and aliasing gets squeezed out. The mind fills in the missing info and they somehow look more real, even tho the quality is a little shitty.

Otherwise I'm detecting a difference in maybe the hair. Maaaaaybe. But because the difference in the shots setting and the low quality of the off screen one, I can't tell for sure.

Rajang

Can't believe some people are actually dissapointed with the way UC4 looks in a pre-alpa build. The game is still one whole year away from going gold.

I want a new Jak And Daxter with open world gameplay like before. Why everyone is forgetting this awesome series? :'(

You mean like Jak 2 and Jak 3? I really disliked those games. I thought the open world in those games were bad, especially the city with the horrible driving mechanics. It just felt so unnecessary, looked like they were just trying to imitate GTA3 because of their succes.

Loved the first game though. What made Jak and Daxter so great for me was the charming world, characters and the platforming gameplay. They totally lost me with Jak 2. Jak 2 is one of ND's worst games together with Jak X. Jak 3 was better but still not as good as the first one imo. The shooting and driving are all unncessary imo.

And I don't think ND will return to Jak and Daxter. They should just outsource it to a team like Sanzaru who are great at those type of games. I loved how they handled Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time for example.

i2U1VQ6USMbhF.png

There is clearly a difference. There doesn't appear to be any SSS on the skin in the gameplay reveal.

Look at this:

No SSS (very similar to Drake ingame footage)

fdyhmf.png

SSS enabled (light propagation)

QDQ1LY.png

Just a guess...

Superflat

There is clearly a difference. There doesn't appear to be any SSS on the skin in the gameplay reveal.

Look at this:

fdyhmf.png

QDQ1LY.png

Just a guess...

Wat

Both clips of Drake have subsurface scattering.

Kaswa101

I want to see what game makes this look unimpressive. I've been out of the loop for awhile.

According to VFX_Veteran, pretty much every game.

It baffles me that people are seriously comparing the graphics of a game in pre-alpha to games that have been released and have already been thoroughly patched. Are they really that desperate to force their opinions on others? Wtf?

Loofy

That's what I was sayin... it looks like an off screen shot. Makes it more contrasty and aliasing gets squeezed out. The mind fills in the missing info and they somehow look more real, even tho the quality is a little shitty.

Otherwise I'm detecting a difference in maybe the hair. Maaaaaybe. But because the difference in the shots setting and the low quality of the off screen one, I can't tell for sure.
It shouldnt be much of a difference since the E3 demo literally ran on a PS4, and not a PC with like PS4 specs. Downgrades to the gameplay model I get, but why would they make downgrades to cutscene models that were running at 60fps in E3? if anything they should look alot better since they halved the framerate.

Look at this:

fdyhmf.png

QDQ1LY.png

Just a guess...

Lol lol lol, I was waiting for you to say that. You won't give up don't you? ND implemented SSS since Uncharted 2. And I don't think any new respectable AAA doesn't include it. How come if there is no SSS in U4, then his ears, nose forhead have noticeable propagated lights and it looks more subtle here thanks to added backscattering (which Ryse and The Order lack):

ibhwys0xDnefVu.png

You are trying too hard. Next time you will say, Uncharetd 4 has no textures. You are just proving that your sole existence is just to downplay this game and brag about other games by even creating non sense based on your pure unfounded claims that are always proven to be wrong. Seriously!

Where we are, why no start downplaying Ryse? Every character inRyse has being modelled as one piece with his clothes tied to his body then normal maps extarced from it as whole while The Uncharted series always have anatomical modelling and and clothes and extra props are being done as an outer element just like here while everything in Ryse models looks so flat and even the necklace on the scenator you showed is just some falt texture tied to his chest and that doesn't jiggle (you can check that) while In all Uncharted something like ropes or necklace jiggle and cast shadows.

Again you are just speculating without any exact details about what has been used in Uncharted 4.

DIdn't I say I was speculating? I never said I KNEW! I can speculate you know.

A while ago you claimed the game doesn't use any type of PBR then when proven worng,

If you want to say a screenshot with a slide that said "What is Physically Based Rendering?" is proving me wrong, then go ahead.

Did you know that water and mud both have same reflectivity and that many materials and variables intervene to display teh final result?

--snip--

Again many elements of the environment and their respective values will give the final results according to the materials used in that scene and their respective properties. You can't just come up with unfounded speculations just to satisfy your ego.

LOL! What are you talking about? I was talking about the roughess of the water. If you are going to try proving me wrong in every statement I make, at least read very thoroughly before making yourself look too obvious trying to attack me.

Lol lol lol, I was waiting for you to say that. You won't give up don't you? ND implemented SSS since Uncharted 2. And I don't think any new respectable AAA doesn't include it. How come if there is no SSS in U4, then his ears, nose forhead have noticeable propagated lights and it looks more subtle here thanks to added backscattering (which Ryse and The Order lack):

ibhwys0xDnefVu.png

That's a touched up image bro. The original comparison is here:

3o2F45o.png

And for the record, I didn't say it doesn't have SSS. I said it doesn't appear to have SSS comparing the two images. But the light direction is different in the two images.

What I can deduce is that they don't look the exact same. I'm with the original poster. The right image looks better quality than the left image.

EDIT: I just asked my wife (who knows nothing about imagery) and she said the right one looks more photoreal and the left looks cartoony. Just as the other guy mentioned him asking his friends.

Superflat

It shouldnt be much of a difference since the E3 demo literally ran on a PS4, and not a PC with like PS4 specs. Downgrades to the gameplay model I get, but why would they make downgrades to cutscene models that were running at 60fps in E3? if anything they should look alot better since they halved the framerate.

Cutscene model and in game model are the same.

3o2F45o.png

In which the E3 pic is BS also.

THE NEVERENDING DANCE CONTINUES

3o2F45o.png

And for the record, I didn't say it doesn't have SSS. I said it doesn't appear to have SSS comparing the two images. But the light direction is different in the two images.

What I can deduce is that they don't look the exact same. I'm with the original poster. The right image looks better quality than the left image.

EDIT: I just asked my wife (who knows nothing about imagery) and she said the right one looks more photoreal and the left looks cartoony. Just as the other guy mentioned him asking his friends.

You won't see exteremely noticebale instance of SSS unless you submit your ears or nose to a very close local light source like a lamp and not any lamp too. SSS is tied to lighting it doesn't show up so explicitely in every condition. Overusing it and exaggerating it will be so dumb !

Here is a nice closeup of drake where SSS is notieceable:

DrakeEyes.gif

You will say no gameplay pic? No, it isn't but you will see that this is the same model with no extra detail(even the hair is the same aka the clmaied downgraded hair). Also your Ryse SSS example is from gameplay too.

FATALITY

Banned

3o2F45o.png

the image on the right was touched by a gaffer, ND never released that

Loofy

Cutscene model and in game model are the same.
Are you sure, I thought there was talk about how we could see the the models being switched when the camera moves behind drake in the beginning(its very subtle). Impressive if thats not the case. Either way the level of the detail will still be alot higher during cutscenes.

Superflat

Are you sure, I thought there was talk about how we could see the the models being switched when the camera moves behind drake in the beginning(its very subtle). Impressive if thats not the case. Either way the level of the detail will still be alot higher during cutscenes.

There appears to be a lower LOD model when the camera is placed further away, but if that's the case I assumed it was dynamic. If you turn the camera to be closer to Drake, his high detail model would return.

You won't see exteremely noticebale instance of SSS unless you submit your ears or nose to a very close local light source like a lamp and not any lamp too. SSS is tied to lighting it doesn't show up so explicitely in every condition. Overusing it and exaggerating it will be so dumb !

I know how SSS works my man. Did you also know that you can fake SSS by reversing the normals on a surface and computing diffuse lighting on those reversed normals, and then adding that on top of diffuse term? It's a beautiful trick that mimics it quite well especially for translucent materials. Not good for 3 layer Outter, Mid, Deep scattering of light though.

I'm quite enjoying VFX_Veteran get proven wrong time and time again, lol.

Not getting proven wrong at all.. just a difference in opinions. To be proven wrong, I have to state something that I believe to be fact. and disproved that fact.

I've only speculated with all of this. I think you like that I'm getting ganged up on..

There appears to be a lower LOD model when the camera is placed further away, but if that's the case I assumed it was dynamic. If you turn the camera to be closer to Drake, his high detail model would return.

Do you work for ND? You sound like you've either played or worked on the game.

Superflat

Do you work for ND? You sound like you've either played or worked on the game.

If I worked for ND, I wouldn't be assuming :p

And I'd be working my ass off on this game instead of posting here lol

LOD changes based on camera is something that's pretty common. If the low LOD model clearly pops in seamlessly, why wouldn't the high LOD model be able to pop back?

gamerMan

I get what you are saying. This image was captured from the video and not captured off screen, but I did match the rgb levels of the E3 teaser with the rgb levels of the game play pic. This puts both images in the same color range so that we can compare them. Perhaps this method obscures the comparison.

But even if we compare the jungle Drake model that they showed in the panel with no backdrop, my brain says the one of the right looks real and the one on the left doesn't. It's nothing that I can put my finger on.

oU5oaLa.png

AuRoN89

Banned

Look at this:

fdyhmf.png

QDQ1LY.png

Just a guess...

lol, i don't like all your random BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Reg

Banned
Not getting proven wrong at all.. just a difference in opinions. To be proven wrong, I have to state something that I believe to be fact. and disproved that fact.

I've only speculated with all of this. I think you like that I'm getting ganged up on..

Ganged up on? From what I'm seeing people are just being helpful for trying to educate you.

I know how SSS works my man. Did you also know that you can fake SSS by reversing the normals on a surface and computing diffuse lighting on those reversed normals, and then adding that on top of diffuse term? It's a beautiful trick that mimics it quite well especially for translucent materials. Not good for 3 layer Outter, Mid, Deep scattering of light though.

And you insist on assuming that Uncharted 4 is faking SSS and PBR and everything else based on what? Based on your urgent desire to downplay the game and ND for no reason without knowing their procedures? Do you know that SSS is no longer a luxury these days? So why faking it if you have the ressources to do it? Ryse did it on the weaker hardware, why ND couldn't do it on PS4? Why do you insist why? You must have a hidden agenda for that. TBH. I'd better do sth more useful rather than losing time with that !

Loofy

I get what you are saying. This image was captured from the video and not captured off screen, but I did match the rgb levels of the E3 teaser with the rgb levels of the game play pic. This puts both images in the same color range so that we can compare them. Perhaps this method obscures the comparison.

But even if we compare the jungle Drake model that they showed in the panel with no backdrop, my brain says the one of the right looks real and the one on the left doesn't. It's nothing that I can put my finger on.

oU5oaLa.png
The blacks look grey in the left image. Maybe thats it.

Superflat

What are you trying to say? I'm working my ass off.. but I can still post.

And you never really answered the question directly.

I'm trying to say that if I was a ND employee, I'd be working on the game instead of spending time throughout the day debating in Neogaf? I said what I meant pretty clearly on my last post.

And what question? If I work for ND? If I've played the game? How are those not rhetorical questions? Who here can claim that?

Ishan

And I like how he ignores all the posts that he has no argument against.

dude i engaged him in a debate in another thread. everytime i countered his arguments with he would make another vague random argument to on a different tangent. So I just figured its pointless. He went from i think it was physics to rendering to ai in the boucning of topics.

And you isnist on assuming that Uncharted 4 is faking SSS and PBR and everything else based on what?

Based on papers and images. I've compared images in detail. Think what you will.

Based on your urgent desire to downplay the game and ND for reason withiout knowing their procedures?

Not downplaying at all.. I'm nitpicking their gameplay footage like I do all other games. YOU are just taking offense to it.

Do you know that SSS i no longer a luxury these days? So why faking it if you have the ressources to do it?

You have no idea what you are saying bro. All the games are faking it. They aren't using brute force path tracing to implement SSS. They aren't even using baked point clouds of the mesh to get radiance information on the skin. They are absolutely using tricks (i.e. faking it). Actually you are using the UE4 engine these days right? Tell me how to implement SSS. Start from the beginning.. I'm willing to learn.

Marlenus

kl_XW2.gif

I dunno. I was on holiday and did a cave tour where one of the tour points is this chamber that looks like it has a huge hole in it. The trick is there is no hole just a pool of water that is totally still and reflecting the ceiling making it appear like a giant hole. If you want to see the picture google
cueva de los verdes secret

Zabka

3o2F45o.png

That's a touched up image bro. Here's a similar cap from the gamersyde's e3 trailer:

M2Ggcvi.png

Crayon

Someone take the left one and twiddle it a bit in photoshop to see if they can get the same effect. Or just snap it off your monitor with a cell phone.

And you insist on assuming that Uncharted 4 is faking SSS and PBR and everything else based on what? Based on your urgent desire to downplay the game and ND for no reason without knowing their procedures? Do you know that SSS is no longer a luxury these days? So why faking it if you have the ressources to do it? Ryse did it on the weaker hardware, why ND couldn't do it on PS4? Why do you insist why? You must have a hidden agenda for that. TBH. I'd better do sth more useful rather than losing time with that !

It really seems like a waste of time , ND one of the most competent tech devs can't do what other devs doing it seems.
When we do get info they not doing right or they faking it or someone does it better etc etc etc crazy i tell you .
What is even more crazy is SCE world wide studios share tech so every thing that DC , Killzone etc etc doing with there engine ND have access to .

Neff

I'm still having a hard time believing The Order is realtime on a PS4. That's how good it looks.

Uncharted 4, while impressive, is nowhere near the same, nor even as good as some of the better examples of current gen.

Based on papers and images. I've compared images in detail. Think what you will.

Not downplaying at all.. I'm nitpicking their gameplay footage like I do all other games. YOU are just taking offense to it.

You have no idea what you are saying bro. All the games are faking it. They aren't using brute force path tracing to implement SSS. They aren't even using baked point clouds of the mesh to get radiance information on the skin. They are absolutely using tricks (i.e. faking it). Actually you are using the UE4 engine these days right? Tell me how to implement SSS. Start from the beginning.. I'm willing to learn.

You really have much time to waste don't you? :p UE4 since 4.5 update: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-engine-45-released brought Screen-Space Sub-surface Scattering aka SSSSS (and this crap runs well on my crappy PC) developed by Jorge Jimenez and shown is his COD videos. You can ask him in his blog and lose some time with and maybe he will tell you all his secrets: http://www.iryoku.com/screen-space-subsurface-scattering

It is enough! I'd better go back to my work !

Top Bottom