• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Is Uncharted 4 the generational leap we were hoping for?

Superflat

I also noticed the water in the cave. The reflections are too mirror-like to me even though it's being viewed at such a grazing angle. Water should have some roughness to it and doesn't reflect light in a mirror direction for every photon hitting it. This leads me to believe that water material isn't physically plausible or they saved some GPU cycles by doing a mirror reflection to avoid re-rendering the scene just to add a roughness blur to the reflection and projecting it back onto the surface.

kl_XW2.gif

I know I fell for bait again. I know. But I can't stop.

I see your paragraph of theorizing, and I'll raise you more photo evidence, taken from life:

I'm still having a hard time believing The Order is realtime on a PS4. That's how good it looks.

Uncharted 4, while impressive, is nowhere near the same, nor even as good as some of the better examples of current gen.

All which are finish , i mean if anything DC should be a perfect eg of how gfx can change with effects and that was added to a game after it came out .
Just few months ago people were saying the The order did not look so good or was downgraded when they switch uniforms .

MilkyJoe

Agree. That was my initial impressions. The game doesn't look as good as I thought it was going to be for a generational leap, it looks just OK to me, nothing special. Kind of disappointed to be honest.

It reminded me of a watered down Tomb Raider definitive edition. But to be fair, I have never played an Uncharted before, so I am not sure who came up with the ice axe/rock pick "only works on a certain texture rock" idea... But yeah. It is whatit is at this stage, I do like the reactive foliage.

Superflat

Someone take the left one and twiddle it a bit in photoshop to see if they can get the same effect. Or just snap it off your monitor with a cell phone.

ieCoNUXuOYtMY.png

We cracked the code. The trick to making games look good is to blur the shit out of it and show no subtlety!

Superflat

It reminded me of a watered down Tomb Raider definitive edition. But to be fair, I have never played an Uncharted before, so I am not sure who came up with the ice axe/rock pick "only works on a certain texture rock" idea... But yeah. It is whatit is at this stage, I do like the reactive foliage.

The "climbing on certain textures using sharp objects" mechanic I remember was in GOW3. That's the only example I can think of off-hand but I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of other games already did it. The Uncharted 4 rock pick did remind me heavily of the recent TR, given how they're both treasure hunting adventurers who climb things. One of the big differences between UC series (up till now) and the TR reboot was that Drake didn't have additional tools to help him traverse.

I don't know how Naughty Dog manages without us.

Yeah!

"Ignore Neogaf", my ass!

Please no one from ND actually read this thread oh god this is so embarrassing (myself included)

valkyre

According to VFX_Veteran, pretty much every game.

It baffles me that people are seriously comparing the graphics of a game in pre-alpha to games that have been released and have already been thoroughly patched. Are they really that desperate to force their opinions on others? Wtf?

What baffles me even more is just how almost every single time his "expertise" is on the line, he is proven wrong... but still goes strong.

The bias is strong with this one...

JordanN

Banned
Remember the Naughty Dog fan who got to see the game before the Playstation Event? Does it turn it out what he was saying was truth?

I got to see some pretty raw stuff from the new game, including drawings from planned action sequences and how all the characters looks now with upgraded graphics, tells Sofiedal and thinks they look like "real men."

- It was almost scary to see Sully as an almost living person. I also got to see a few seconds of the opening scene, which is still under construction, but it looks already gorgeous out.

He further explains that the scene he saw was a cave where "light and shadows was completely raw," and choose to compare jumped from the previous generation who leap from PlayStation 2 graphics to a Pixar movie.

They showed some tests where Drake going through some tall grass and how every straw reacts to his movements while they also react to wind. It was crazy.

Sofiedal confirms that there is anything else he has seen, which also takes place in daylight.
http://n4g.com/news/1615793/martin-...ing-like-it-almost-scary-real-photo-realistic

gamerMan

ieCoNUXuOYtMY.png

We cracked the code. The trick to making games look good is to blur the shit out of it and show no subtlety!

Lol! I am pretty much convinced this is the exact same model as jungle Drake. IMO, the only difference is his hair and the lighting. This game is going to look amazing. Here's my feeble attempt at tweaking the RGB values.

Crayon

Lol! I am pretty much convinced this is the exact same model as jungle Drake. IMO, the only difference is his hair and the lighting. This game is going to look amazing. Here's my feeble attempt at tweaking the RGB values.

gzEwj8L.png

Thats good. Now soften the detail a bit. Blie up the e3 image to see what im talking about.

Kaversmed

Drake looks so creepy here...

His expression is ridiculously creepy...

It's because his eyes aren't moving with his smile. This was just to show off the Drake model and the individual expressions he can make. I am pretty confident he won't look creepy in the game :D

pottuvoi

Banned
I dunno. I was on holiday and did a cave tour where one of the tour points is this chamber that looks like it has a huge hole in it. The trick is there is no hole just a pool of water that is totally still and reflecting the ceiling making it appear like a giant hole. If you want to see the picture google
cueva de los verdes secret
Yup, still water is near perfect mirror in terms shape of specular lobe.

For moving or water, especially in heavy weather conditions reflection becomes quite blurry due to rough surface.
Motion blur has huge impact as well. (surface and microsurface can change completely from frame to an other.)

I see your paragraph of theorizing, and I'll raise you more photo evidence, taken from life:

I wasn't very descriptive in my wording. The pool in the cave definitely doesn't reflect it's surrounding geometry in a mirror like fashion like those real life photos (in fact, it's distorted).

water-cave-isabelle-kuehn.jpg

That's not what I'm talking about . If you view the real 1080p footage,

PfHF0C.png

VQSpXK.png

you'll see what I'm talking about. It's the simulation of the warping of the reflection that looks fake. It's almost like looking at liquid metal from Terminator.

There is no texture warping effect like that on real water in a cave.

okinawa_cave.jpg

These comments that you are somehow "proving me wrong" is ridiculous. It's more of people trying to mince my words and ignore what they are seeing in order to try to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about. Since the discussion leads to trolling.. I'll digress from discussing what I see.

dex3108

I will share my opinion about all this details that are really impressive.

First i need to say that ND is really amazing studio that can do great things on hardware they are publishing game. We saw that many times and we will see it in the future too.

But there is one thing that i have really don't understand. That is why they are concentrating on those tiny details that most of gamers won't notice and ignoring other things that are really noticeable? Having chest hair that moves on wind is awesome detail but you won't see that 90% because you will see Drakes back 90% of time in game. Same goes for eyes. And there are issues that i saw and that probably will be fixed until launch that caught my attention. For example AF is really bad in current build and it is noticeable because Drake is climbing on many surfaces and you see them under certain angles, AO could be better and it can make game visually better for sure, they could make those cliffs organic not flat and visually better without hard edges etc.

Technology needs to go forward but there are things that can be sacrificed for greater good :D

camac002

For example AF is really bad in current build and it is noticeable because Drake is climbing on many surfaces and you see them under certain angles, AO could be better and it can make game visually better for sure, they could make those cliffs organic not flat and visually better without hard edges etc.

I get what you are saying, but those problems are worked on by other members of the programming/animating teams. Everyone is not concentrating on chest hair simulation. It is possible to do both, they aren't linked.

DMiz

I do remember feeling a bit under-whelmed when they first showed the trailer, but having gone through the footage over a few more times, it does seem like they've done quite a bit to upgrade the gameplay and the visuals in some subtle ways.

The video that Amir0x posted, though... I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that some of the things he was saying were wrong. Like, tesselation of Nate's nose...? I don't - I don't think we do that, do we? Maybe we do. Doesn't sound like a very good use of resources, though...

dex3108

I get what you are saying, but those problems are worked on by other members of the programming/animating teams. Everyone is not concentrating on chest hair simulation. It is possible to do both, they aren't linked.

I know but this whole thread is now concentrated on those tiny details. Don't get me wrong i really love details like that and i when i am doing some 3D models i really tend to make details that maybe 1 person will notice. But i just don't want to see finished product where we have amazing chest hair movements and other little details that are taking few seconds/minutes on screen time and 5% of screen space or less and not to see good AO, AF or something completely different that we are looking at for 90% of time :D

I am sure that ND will make amazing looking game but i would like to see bigger picture and their goals on that field before tiny and amazing details :D

There's no question that the gameplay reveal doesn't look as good as the original teaser footage. At that time Naughty Dog made a huge deal about how it was real in engine PS4 footage. So its not unreasonable for people to be unimpressed.

Whether they deserve it of not, naughty dog has garnered a reputation of having graphics one step above the rest. And comparing that gameplay reveal to the other games currently considered to have the best graphics, it isn't the "generational leap" a lot of people were expecting.

derFeef

I don't really know how to express this without sounding underwhelmed (I am not), but I can't get too excitied about good character models anymore. We had them for quite some time now. I guess the usage in-game is where it will make a difference. If they are utilizing everything they are showing (good facial tech is also not new...) then good on them. But other than those soft-body physics, I don't see anything that makes me go OH MY GOD right now.

There's no question that the gameplay reveal doesn't look as good as the original teaser footage. At that time Naughty Dog made a huge deal about how it was real in engine PS4 footage. So its not unreasonable for people to be unimpressed.

Whether they deserve it of not, naughty dog has garnered a reputation of having graphics one step above the rest. And comparing that gameplay reveal to the other games currently considered to have the best graphics, it isn't the "generational leap" a lot of people were expecting.

That's well said. All I did was go into the details as to WHY it looks underwhelming. But I'm getting refuted at every turn.

KidJr

Cant believe I'm saying this but VFX raises some interesting points.

I mean I dont agree with everything he said... I do think the character models are exactly the same... however the lightning certainly isnt, nor is the water what I'd expect, nor are the rocks, infact entire scene just as high quality as the character models ... I mean the game is unbelievably good looking, too early to say whether its the best but it

valkyre

honestly my only personal "complaint" about the presentation I saw are some rock formations on the ground that look quite rough and stick out kinda ugly comapred to the rest of the game.

Other than that I thought it was of immense quality. The washed out look definetely doesnt do the footage justice. The gamersyde RGB corrected video makes things much much better.

Anarion07

That's a touched up image bro. The original comparison is here:

calls someone out for using a touched image, compares ingame with retouched E3 picture.

I cant..

Those 2 pictures are just not comparable, since it's a completely different time of day, light intensity and his face is clean/dry on one of them.
Oh my.

plus... pre alpha. just saying.

To be fair, that is some really still water in the real life photos, the water in UC4 is moving, not exactly a 1:1 comparison.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I will share my opinion about all this details that are really impressive.

First i need to say that ND is really amazing studio that can do great things on hardware they are publishing game. We saw that many times and we will see it in the future too.

But there is one thing that i have really don't understand. That is why they are concentrating on those tiny details that most of gamers won't notice and ignoring other things that are really noticeable? Having chest hair that moves on wind is awesome detail but you won't see that 90% because you will see Drakes back 90% of time in game. Same goes for eyes. And there are issues that i saw and that probably will be fixed until launch that caught my attention. For example AF is really bad in current build and it is noticeable because Drake is climbing on many surfaces and you see them under certain angles, AO could be better and it can make game visually better for sure, they could make those cliffs organic not flat and visually better without hard edges etc.

Technology needs to go forward but there are things that can be sacrificed for greater good :D
Have you watched the gamma corrected Gamersyde footage? AF looked decent to me there.

Raist

Banned
you'll see what I'm talking about. It's the simulation of the warping of the reflection that looks fake. It's almost like looking at liquid metal from Terminator.

There is no texture warping effect like that on real water in a cave.

okinawa_cave.jpg

These comments that you are somehow "proving me wrong" is ridiculous. It's more of people trying to mince my words and ignore what they are seeing in order to try to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about. Since the discussion leads to trolling.. I'll digress from discussing what I see.

There is warping if the surface of the water is disturbed, just like in the UC4 pic.
Case in point, the reflection of the guy's face is that real pic you quoted is completely warped near where his face comes out of the water.

edit: mkay you're actually not even following your own arguments. Nevermind this is not gonna go anywhere.

the eyes are not dead anymore. why nobody talks about that?

Because must insist on massive downgrade by using a insanely touched up screen (contrast and lighting) of the first teaser vs a direct capture of the gameplay demo, of course.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Has anyone compared the gameplay sequences to the Drake presentation? Presentation looks a bit better to me. Wouldn't surprised me if some things were turned down for purpose of a steady framerate on stage.

the eyes are not dead anymore. why nobody talks about that?

Everyone should be using the zoomed in face of nathans head face down on the beach. That looks much better than the ingame model present in the most recent video.
Has anyone compared the gameplay sequences to the Drake presentation? Presentation looks a bit better to me. Wouldn't surprised me if some things were turned down for purpose of a steady framerate on stage.

It does look like that.

According to VFX_Veteran, pretty much every game.

It baffles me that people are seriously comparing the graphics of a game in pre-alpha to games that have been released and have already been thoroughly patched. Are they really that desperate to force their opinions on others? Wtf?

The people need to know that games don't look better while they're in development!

UrbanRats

Drake looks so creepy here...

His expression is ridiculously creepy...

"Don't you understand Grace? I'm doing it for us... now give me back that knife, before you hurt yourself..."
*takes one step forward*.

After all, we know Drake is a mass murderer!

(i actually don't see the uncanny valley there, i think they did a great job staying out of it).

Top Bottom