• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

inherendo

I would be happy with something like the Wii U with a faster and more modern OS and to have all of that on a beautiful screen on the go sounds pretty good to me. Of course this is coming from someone who owns a Wii U only for the Nintendo exclusives.

They're probably gonna cheap out with a lcd screen.

The Hermit

Why wouldnt it be X2? Makes the most sense

Thats why they delayed that thing..right

That would put us at xbone performance

There's one thing I learned with Nintendo:

usually the alternative that makes most sense is not the one they choose. Especially hardware wise.

true Gek

Correct me if i'm wrong but cartridges will mean significantly shorter loading times,right? As for turbo powered last gen console...heh. Not at all what i was hoping for, but i already know i'll buy it eventually. Never want to miss out on a new Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid and so on.

Let Nintendo at least go for that X2 then.

Hahahahaha! Nice joke X°D

:'(

usually the alternative that makes most sense is not the one they choose. Especially hardware wise.

Normally I would agree.

But considering they have been always very concerned about power consumption, the X2 is a much better alternative in that regard.

It's cheap and the average consumer doesn't care about horsepower.

That's why the Xbox One is selling so well...

And to add more, consumers do care about hardware specs if it affects their bottom line. People will always go for the PS4 over the Xbox One if they know that they are going to get better looking games on the PS4. Unless a console has some really compelling exclusive software that you won't find anywhere else, consumers will always default to the higher end system if it fits into their allocated budget.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Good luck trying to sell a handheld to people who rather just download Pokemon Go and Candy Crush for free and play the heck out of them. I'm calling it. This isn't going to work.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Normally I would agree.

But considering they have been always very concerned about power consumption, the X2 is a much better alternative in that regard.

I would buy a TV only version for 149.99 if it had the X2. I really hope there is a console only SKU that supports a updated Wii Pro controller. I have no use for a handheld my Vita is currently collecting dust.

ChaosXVI

A nice analysis, with a nice dessert scoop of speculation, which I can't help but crave whenever it's in a video format.

I'd like to think that perhaps the reason for the delay (since Trev/SuperMetalDave 99% confirmed it was supposed to be out this year) was because they are waiting for the Tegra X2 to be usable, as that would definitely line up with "industry leading chips".

But there's the concern about cost. Going state-of-the-art is very un-Nintendo these days, and it would raise the cost which is definitely un-Nintendo. BUT, Emily Rogers did mention that part of the reason they went with Nvidia was because of some hyper-crazy bargain price that they negotiated with Nvidia to get them back into the console market.

So it's definitely not impossible. But for now I'll be happy with the information we have. I'm just pumped we finally have some fucking details about the thing.

The Hermit

Normally I would agree.

the thing is we have no idea what X2 is to be honest.

My opinion: its a custom chip, a X1.5 if you will. I have yet to see a Nintendo system with off the shelf parts.

Hasney

Eh, I think they would be made aware that the final console would have different hardware, so that they can target their games appropriately.

I remember reading about how no-one knew what the duck what happening with the GPU in the Dolphin devkits. Think there was at least 2 revisions and that was just the ones sent to 3rd parties. I'm sure Nintendo in house and Rare saw more than that.

Doesn't come across as something I want from that info, as I listened I got more disappointed and underwhelmed but we haven't seen all the official details from Nintendo yet.

Personally I wanted a PS4/X1 range console with superior online features/UI to Wii U, a good controller, better third party support especially with Western Developere and for the handhelds something dedicated for that type of gamer with some shared features with the console. I guess I'm not the target audience and perhaps just better off sticking to the Playstations & Xbox's in future

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Pretty much confirms that there will be no backwards compatibility. No surprise there.

Also,

"you can think of the NX as a turbo charged last gen console"

... So barely a leap over the Wii-U then? What's with Nintendo's obsession with releasing turbo chared last gen hardware?

Uh..wii u could barely handle last gen ports in certain cases. The CPU was weaker and the bandwidth was lacking. The GPU was very weird.

A customized version of the X1, which is the most likely GPU to be in this thing, is far more powerful than the Wii U GPU to begin with, and the rest of the unit is going to be significantly more powerful than Wii U.

WHen they say in between a Wii U and an XB1, they mean it

Trago

I'm less concerned with the potential power jump from Tegra X1 to X2 and more interested in the power efficiency. The battery life needs to be great. And X2 could definitely help make that happen.

the thing is we have no idea what X2 is to be honest.

My opinion: its a custom chip, a X1.5 if you will. I have yet to see a Nintendo system with off the shelf parts.

We know is a 16nm chip compared to the 20nm X1 chip.

That should reduce power and heat consumption on a much newer Pascal architecture.

Narroo

The X2 would likely be more expensive, and the production lines may not line up right. They'd need 'N' of chips by some date so they can build everything by launch, and who knows what X2's production has looked like over the past few months.

Might as well just copy and paste all of the Pixel C reviews from 6 months ago, and bill them as a NX tech analysis.

Looking how people looked at the RE5 port to conclude NX is less powerful than WiiU, I think DF article does a much better job at explaining the relative performance of the X1 chip.

Taker666

I would buy a TV only version for 149.99 if it had the X2. I really hope there is a console only SKU that supports a updated Wii Pro controller. I have no use for a handheld my Vita is currently collecting dust.

I'm certainly hoping there will be a cheaper home console only SKU without the handheld (or a more powerful home console SKU).

The only way I'd be interested in the handheld side is if it's 1080p+ and can be put in a VR headset. As a handheld it'll be little more than an ornament for me so a complete waste of money.

Donnie

500 GFLOPS is like 2 Xbox 360s duct taped together.

Much more considering Tegra X1 is a few generations ahead of Xenos in feature set and efficiency,

Tegra X1 running at full clocks will not be in a mobile device. (20W)

Considering the fact that ShockingAlberto said the NX is around Xbox one in power, it has to be 16nm FF Pascal based Tegra.

Yeah, that's probably why this NX handheld requires active cooling. Its way over the 4 or 5 watts required for a handheld, until they change to a more efficient architecture on a smaller process.

So does this line up with the rumors that the CPU is more powerful than PS4? Just curious as that rumor was widely believed to be true on Gaf.

Just as an FYI, because hyperbole seems to be everyone's middle name on GAF, the Xbox One is selling well. Despite being shadowed by the PS4, it still is a tremendously fast selling console, outpacing the 360.

Is this even true anymore? I would not call selling around 20 million after 30 months tremendous. It will be lucky to sell half of what the 360 did. Don't see Scorpio providing a Kinect like boost either.

Schnozberry

Why do people keep talking like Nvidia it's the X1 or X2? It's more than likely a custom chip based on one or the other. Nintendo usually has a heavy hand in their own chip design.

Inuhanyou

Doesn't come across as something I want from that info, as I listened I got more disappointed and underwhelmed but we haven't seen all the official details from Nintendo yet.

Personally I wanted a PS4/X1 range console with superior online features/UI to Wii U, a good controller, better third party support especially with Western Developere and for the handhelds something dedicated for that type of gamer with some shared features with the console. I guess I'm not the target audience and perhaps just better off sticking to the Playstations & Xbox's in future

You weren't getting a Nintendo "return to glory" competitor with PS4 and XB1 that would magically bring back all third parties in the first place. Everyone knows that Nintendo never wanted to do that, most definitely not Iwata.

Kyzer

Banned

I think there are a lot of people who still don't understand this is the handheld

Handheld at about Wii U level is about what we expected just from historical precedence.

Some Nobody

It won't matter because this thing won't have the games the average consumer cares about either.

From what everyone's saying, this thing won't have the games the core consumer cares about either.

Which is not to say this will do poorly. If its more powerful than the Wii U, we'll get a prettier version of Zelda and inevitably a mainline Pokemon will release on this thing too. That alone will likely keep Nintendo looking relevant enough for its hardcore fans to seem really impressed when they go to the old "B-but I thought" meme well to point out how the company isn't dead.

But ultimately if all this information is true, Nintendo hasn't addressed their biggest problem. They seem all too comfortable with the idea of being a "second console".

You weren't getting a Nintendo "return to glory" competitor with PS4 and XB1 that would magically bring back all third parties in the first place. Everyone knows that Nintendo never wanted to do that, most definitely not Iwata.

What is the point, then? Another "magic" successor like the Wii? Fuck outta here, that was literally lightning in a bottle. I don't want Nintendo to fail. I really, really don't. BUT. If they become a software-only or mobile company because they kept looking for Wii Part Deux, they deserve it entirely.

Why not when it is clear that is what most people want?

It will be pretty cool if NX comes with a more powerful GPU than in the dev kits and is close to Xbox One performance. Disappointed if its true that there's no more powerful console equivalent though. That would be perfect world for me. Same game with save that is cross compatible, take it on the go or put it on the big screen and have it look awesome in both cases.

Slaythe

Pretty much confirms that there will be no backwards compatibility. No surprise there.

Also,

"you can think of the NX as a turbo charged last gen console"

... So barely a leap over the Wii-U then? What's with Nintendo's obsession with releasing turbo chared last gen hardware?

Well if you consider this is also an handled, it's technically the most powerful handled ever.

It will be pretty cool if NX comes with a more powerful GPU than in the dev kits and is close to Xbox One performance. Disappointed if its true that there's no more powerful console equivalent though. That would be perfect world for me. Same game with save that is cross compatible, take it on the go or put it on the big screen and have it look awesome in both cases.

This has virtually no chance of ever coming close to Xbox one. Ever.

It's not the point of the console. Think Wii U games with better IQ and portable too. Good enough really, especially for nintendo games. It will raise the bar for all the "3ds" games .

Sendou

If someone here actually knew what people wanted they'd be making money with that knowledge rather than posting on GAF I think.

It's cute, people still think power is what sells dedicated console hardware.
In your mind, Scorpio's going to blow past the PS4 in mere months I bet.

I added more to my previous post to clarify things. But personally, I also believe that it is a bit naive to think that better hardware doesn't become a factor if you have two similarly powered systems selling at almost identical price points. Word of mouth phrases like "don't get an Xbox One because PS4 is better" and "The games look better on PS4" can have a strong influence on what a person decides to purchase.

The Scorpio could very well blow past PS4 sales if it was marked and priced right. But I am also not saying that it will.

Just as an FYI, because hyperbole seems to be everyone's middle name on GAF, the Xbox One is selling well. Despite being shadowed by the PS4, it still is a tremendously fast selling console, outpacing the 360.

It is great that Microsoft could somewhat turn that sinking ship around. They did make it look more appealing with some better price points and a decent line up of exclusive software. But the console will never hit PS4 level sales or ever sell more units than the PS4 on a monthly basis.

Trago

I think the fact that the dev kits have X1's that are actively cooled suggest that the final product could feature the more power efficient X2.

Guymelef

Where is all this "Tegra X2" talk comes from?

There is a yet unreleased new Shield Tablet X1 that should come at the end of this year.
Why would Nvidia launch a tablet with X1 when they hava a X2?

Donnie

Why do people keep talking like Nvidia it's the X1 or X2? It's more than likely a custom chip based on one or the other. Nintendo usually has a heavy hand in their own chip design.

Suppose X2 is just the easiest way to describe a chip above X1 in performance yet with the same architecture.

Doesn't work magically, you work with developers for feedback on the platform or at least reach out to them in some sense. Maybe they did, I don't know what goes on at Nintendo.

What if the handhelds/controllers are X1, but the base station X2?

A Tegra X1 is a huge jump from the 3DS.

I feel like it would make more sense to be a down clocked X2 in handheld form that runs games at a lower fidelity for a lower res screen, and then when it docks, it goes to normal clock speeds, which allows it to play at higher resolutions.

Inuhanyou

Why not when it is clear that is what most people want?

Who is 'most people'? Most people don't care about Nintendo, or don't care about them enough to trade Nintendo over what they already have in PS4, XB1 or PC, which are a majority of the market. So why should Nintendo care about running after what everyone else does?

I think there are a lot of people who still don't understand this is the handheld

Handheld at about Wii U level is about what we expected just from historical precedence.

This is supposedly the only NX unit. There is no 'console version' according to Eurogamer's first leak

Core gamers clearly prefer traditional boxes(whether PC or console) with 3rd party support. That isn't limited to Neogaf. This thing doesn't even seem appealing to casuals so it must be made for the people who bought the 3DS.

Nintendo hasn't appealed to 'core gamers' for years and years. And everything we've heard out of publishers and developers shows they aren't about to now when there's a wider casual market outside of that.

It's clear on GAF. GAF isn't anywhere near the general consumer base.

Core gamers clearly prefer traditional boxes(whether PC or console) with 3rd party support. That isn't limited to Neogaf. This thing doesn't even seem appealing to casuals so it must be made for the people who bought the 3DS.

The X2 would likely be more expensive, and the production lines may not line up right. They'd need 'N' of chips by some date so they can build everything by launch, and who knows what X2's production has looked like over the past few months.

Really, it depends on what TSMC's 16nm capabilities are by the end of the year. Nintendo's relationship w/ Nvidia is a licensing deal according to reports. They'll license the Tegra IP and build an SoC to their own needs, as they've done w/ AMD in the past. Apparently, that was a factor in Nintendo's decision to switch to Nvidia. The other big factor is the person who previously won all of the console contracts from AMD now works for Nvidia. This is according to Charlie from SemiAccurate.

Was it Summer 2017 when AMD talked about trying to get into the handheld gaming market? So this deal was obviously finalized after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom