• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: PS4 COD frame judder caused by frame rate HIGHER than 60fps

I don't know what's crazier, CoD having too high of a frame rate and dropping to 60, or this Michael Jordan discussion

csf0LJu.jpg
Welcome to the space jam

NHale

Funny how Sony fans now trust Digital Foundry again. But if this is true, it clearly shows the agenda of Polygon and the Vox Media group. Quelle surprise....

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
But if this is true, it clearly shows the agenda of Polygon and the Vox Media group. Quelle surprise....

Not really though. The untrained eye see's the frame rate acting up and thinks "much be dropping frames."

Regardless of the reason though, frame judder is never the goal and it looks worse so the framerate on XBO was still smoother, even though the PS4 was rendering a higher FPS.

whitehawk

Banned
The other day I heard an Xbox One rep tell a guy "The Xbox One has access to the cloud, so it will keep getting more powerful over the coming years. The PS4 however has a hard set physical limit."

It was weird. One, cloud can't make up for the lack of processing power afaik, especially when games have to be designed to work offline. Two, Sony didn't invest $500 million in Gaikai for nothing. They will have cloud computing if they see that it's worthwhile in the future.

Sinthor

Gold Member
OK, this is getting ridiculous. I mean, wow... why would somebody in some other countries care if the US won a gold medal on basketball in the 90s, or whenever that was? You guys are overrating his popularity nowdays... Jesus.

And what is Space Jam? Never heard of it. I know that there is a video game called NBA Jam, though.

Shaq Fu? I remember him from AVGN and I though the name somekind of a joke. Wait, he was a real basketball player? Cool I guess.

Amurica...Fuck YEAH!!!

Isn't that all that matters??? :)

Seriously though, perfect example of how we all relate to our own experiences. Being here in the US it's hard to understand (unless you think about it for a bit) how someone in another country WOULDN'T know this. But I bet most of us can't name the most popular soccer/football player in South America or in Europe! Oh wait...David Beckham? Nope...not anymore... :)

ferom

Neo Member
So nobody read the article? It clearly states that after the patch PS4 version has drops to 40-50fps while maintaining 60fps most of the time at 1080p. Before the patch it was running above 60 at 720p.

Funny how Sony fans now trust Digital Foundry again. But if this is true, it clearly shows the agenda of Polygon and the Vox Media group. Quelle surprise....

It's hard to fault people for that when DF (Leadbetter in general, really) has been much more accommodating of Microsoft's offering up until this point.

This is not really a subjective interpretation; the quantity of articles, interviews, etc. clearly in defense of the X1's inferior hardware has almost been cringeworthy.

Being a site that is about objective comparison, why get hamstrung on stuff like that? So what, PS4 is noticeably better performing than X1. That does not mean that X1 cannot stand its ground on separate merits (e.g., Exclusive Games, UI, Peripherals/Kinect, Online, etc.). Just don't try to downplay PS4's strengths in order to level the playing field. Just illustrate the objective differences between the consoles so that you can help the consumer with their purchasing decision.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So nobody read the article? It clearly states that after the patch PS4 version has drops to 40-50fps while maintaining 60fps most of the time at 1080p. Before the patch it was running above 60 at 720p.
Oh, they were talking about it running over 60fps @ 720p before patch? I'd sure hope it did.

PS4 too powerful for CoD, confirmed.

Makes the review comments about PS4's framerate so much worse than the XB1 version quite amusing.
Frame rate judder is a valid complain, even if it's juddering because of a faster fps, you'd still have a non smooth experience...

However, with that being the case, patching should be quite easy.

iceatcs

Yeah that's what I thought, PS4 look like too powerful for 720p for this game. So it is actually judder not drop. Glad they have fixed it and upped the resolution rather than only VSync patch.

Phades

I've seen this gif thousands of times but I still don't know who it is, could someone end my suffering please. It cracks me up every time.

I guess folks outside of NA haven't seen space JAM, do not follow basketball and get nike commercials or if they do are younger than 30 years old (there is a freaking line of shoes named after the guy of all the silly things...), in addition to not having hanes commercials.

The clip is from a talk show that I'm sure not too many people have heard of either. If i recall correctly it starts with an O or something. This isn't a big deal though, so I am surprised that any reaction was made at all to this really.

This has so many layers of awesome in it. Well done.

Respawn

Banned

Yes, but less frame jutters at 1080p. The game will continue to be patched it seems.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There couldn't have been a more perfect conclusion to this saga for Sony fanboys and next gen trolls in general. Almost poetic.

Mindman

This happens on the PC version of Skyrim, with v-sync enabled. You have to use a framerate limiter, then it's smooth.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
but i want more than 60fps, how dare people subscribe to the notion that a certain frame rate should be locked at 60! more frames per second = better!

Raonak

Banned
Resolutiongate. the gift that keeps on giving :)

Was Michael Jordan the one in the Looney Tunes film. If so that is where I know him from. :-D

Also: Lol at the entire situation.

Same. I live in NZ, and Space Jam is the first and last time I've seen michael jordan. He looks way different in that gif.

viveks86

It's hard to fault people for that when DF (Leadbetter in general, really) has been much more accommodating of Microsoft's offering up until this point.

This is not really a subjective interpretation; the quantity of articles, interviews, etc. clearly in defense of the X1's inferior hardware has almost been cringeworthy.

Being a site that is about objective comparison, why get hamstrung on stuff like that? So what, PS4 is noticeably better performing than X1. That does not mean that X1 cannot stand its ground on separate merits (e.g., Exclusive Games, UI, Peripherals/Kinect, Online, etc.). Just don't try to downplay PS4's strengths in order to level the playing field. Just illustrate the objective differences between the consoles so that you can help the consumer with their purchasing decision.

Well said

Lace

This can be requoted enough. This is the logic that journalists should be using when reviewing the two next gen systems.

at one point of time in his career a worldwide survey was carried out and Michael Jordan was found to be more known world wide than Bugs Bunny.

I cannot stop laughing omg

Yeah his name maybe. Hasn't exactly got an iconic...face has he? Or appearance.

Unlike the pale dwarf wizard Lionel Messi. Plus basketball is not a world sport. Funny derail lol.

onQ123

Never Forget!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81321425&postcount=422

This is anecdotal from E3, but...

I've heard the architecture with the ESRAM is actually a major hurdle in development because you need to manually fill and flush it.

So unless MS's APIs have improved to the point that this is essentially automatic, the bandwidth and hardware speed are probably irrelevant.

For reference, the story going around E3 went something like this:

"ATVI was doing the CoD: Ghosts port to nextgen. It took three weeks for PS4 and came out at 90 FPS unoptimized, and four months on Xbone and came out at 15 FPS."

aly

Space Jam was my movie of the year. It had an excellent plot and characterization.I wish you guys could've seen my tears when I thought Lola Bunny was dead. I dare say that movie was the highlight of Michael Jordan"s career.

Did someone email the editor who wrote the polygon review and tell them to unfuck their score?

You're not understanding this correctly.

The framerate and motion on Ghosts is still not smooth on PS4. The only thing that has changed is our understanding of why.

K.Sabot

If North Korea knows who Dennis Rodman is, then it's unacceptable for anyone to not know who Michael Jordan is.

Just my observation though, gonna need Anandtech to go into more detail.

So isn't boxing but you still know who Muhammed Ali is, right?

I would say boxing is more of a world sport than basketball, I mean it's got to be right?

And I would also say Ali is more famous than Jordan.

Like I said everyone knows his name but I had no idea that was him in the gif or that he looks like that now.

Guess Who

Banned
the quote is referring to the pre-patch, 7200 version of Ghosts, not the 1080p post-patch version, read the fucking article

Top Bottom