• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Snake Pass PS4/Switch Comparison.

Let's compare the PPI of 844x475 on a 6.2 screen to the PPI of your average 1920x1080 24" PC monitor.

XXT2kL.png

844x475 at 6.2" is 156 PPI

q1fk6f.png

24" 1080p PC monitor is 91 PPI

Wow! how could this be? I was under the impression that such a resolution could never look good!
But wait! There are upscaling artifacts because the screen is 720p!
Yep, of course there are. The AA masks them. It doesn't completely remove them, of course, but it masks them quite nicely. So it doesn't look perfect but it does look fine.

And just for laughs let's see the PPI of the Switch's screen at its native 720p resolution:
HbPydM.png

Switch's screen at 720p is 236 PPI

And, just for fun again, let's add a 50" 4k screen into the equation:
BHmvAw.png

50" 4k screen is 88 PPI

W-what? But I thought a 720p screen was unacceptable in 2017! What's this? How can the size of a screen possibly affect the resolution needed for it to look good? Impossible! Unacceptable! The screen should be 1080p! My phone is 1440p!
I am aware you sit much farther back when using a 50" 4k screen, but it doesn't remove the fact that the PPI on the Switch screen is perfectly good for its particular viewing distance

Not sure what you are getting at with this. Are you saying that a 6.2 inch screen is better than a 50 inch plus 4k screen? What about HDR? And what brand? Vizio, Sony, LG Oled, Samsung? Oled or LED? FALD or Edge lit?

A handheld NEEDS to have a higher PPI because you are looking at it closely.

OT All that being say this game doesn't run at "native" 720p on the switch, let alone the OG Ps4.

Berordn

I've been gaming since the very early nineties and have yet to be convinced of how moving the experinece to a smaller, lower resolution screen, whilst limiting playtime to battery life and sitting hunched over your lap in a less private and more distraction-laden environment is a benefit.

That's just me though...

If you only ever play in one place I can see why it's not appealing but for anyone with a commute via public transit or just travels often, the Switch is great. Being able to take the exact same game with me (and then pop it up on another screen once I reach my destination) is the kind of thing I used to dream about as a kid in the very early nineties.

If you only ever play in one place I can see why it's not appealing but for anyone with a commute via public transit or just travels often, the Switch is great. Being able to take the exact same game with me (and then pop it up on another screen once I reach my destination) is the kind of thing I used to dream about as a kid in the very early nineties.

I agree but the battery life on my Switch is a bit disappointing for a handheld. I would feel a lot better if it could stretch to 4 or 5 hours. I know that is unrealistic though.

Zedark

But why would they be using FP16 if almost no hardware ran it faster? We know almost the entire development of this game took place without Switch in mind. How plausible is it that the dev was targeting the unreleased PS4 Pro alone, and treating the 40m installed base of the standard machine as an afterthought?

fp16 computation is not a big time sink by all accounts. It is simply replacing the fp32 variables with fp16 for processes that don't require the higher accuracy that fp32 offers. It is possible they decided to pay attention to using fp16 where possible because of the Pro, and happened to be able to use that on the Switch as well. It is important to note that fp16 is absolutely not something you have to design your programming around: it is almost as simple as just changing the type of the variables (and knowing which processes do and don't function well under this transition, which I imagine would be well-documented in the UE4 documentation. You wouldn't be leaving the PS4 or XB1 userbase as an afterthought byusing fp16.

shiyrley

Banned
Not sure what you are getting at with this. Are you saying that a 6.2 inch screen is better than a 50 inch plus 4k screen? What about HDR? And what brand? Vizio, Sony, LG Oled, Samsung? Oled or LED? FALD or Edge lit?

OT All that being say this game doesn't run at "native" 720p on the switch, let alone the OG Ps4.
I'm talking exclusively about image quality, in terms of resolution, jaggies, that sort of thing. A 50" 4k screen looks amazing because of the viewing distance, and colors pop because of it being OLED or whatever, that sort of thing. But PPI is a number, a fact, it can't be debated. And, yes, a 50" 4k screen has a lower PPI than the Switch at native resolution.

The closer you are to the screen, the more PPI you need for the screen to look good. The PPI of a 50" 4k screen is great for its viewing distance, and so is the PPI of the Switch screen, at its native res. That's not debatable. What is debatable, of course, and is what we are debating right now, is whether of not the upscaling / AA Snake Pass does look convincing on the Switch's screen.

I feel the same way in theory, but a lot of times it's just not practical.

80s kid here and there is no way in hell I could ever imagine taking any kind of portable on the subway in Manhattan every day during rush hour. You barely have room to stand.

A lot of it is lifestyle. I'm almost never going to take my switch with me. Mine hasn't left my apartment once and it's been docked about 95% of the time.

If I was a kid in school or even in college, I could see the portability being great. For me, it's pretty much useless.

I've been gaming since the very early nineties and have yet to be convinced of how moving the experinece to a smaller, lower resolution screen, whilst limiting playtime to battery life and sitting hunched over your lap in a less private and more distraction-laden environment is a benefit.

That's just me though...

Then good news, there's hundreds of other ways you can play a game on the Switch. I personally often play it while reclining on the couch while my wife watches TV, with it plugged into an outlet. Or in bed.

I agree but the battery life on my Switch is a bit disappointing for a handheld. I would feel a lot better if it could stretch to 4 or 5 hours. I know that is unrealistic though.

Get a USB-C power bank, they work really well to extend the battery life.

Why no details about Snake Pass on XBox One?, its out on all systems now isn't it?

I believe John says in the video that it's coming later. They wanted to do a Switch PS4 comparison since that would likely be the most interesting comparison.

antibolo

Banned

That's just me though...

What a stupid, close-minded way to see handheld gaming.

FX-GMC

That's just me though...

I've been gaming since the late 90s and I have yet to be convinced at how keeping the gaming experience in the dark and cold basement, while limiting your exposure to the real world and sitting curled up on the couch in a completely un-social, boring ass environment is a benefit.

Of course, common sense tells us that not everyone has the same exact use case.

watershed

Banned
I read it the first time. You tried. Not convincing enough. AA will never compensate for the upscale from 475p to 720p.
And this is pretty much the only reason I haven't bought Snake Pass yet. No way I'm paying for a sub HD current gen game to play on a 720p screen. Too bad to as the game does interest me.

I'm talking exclusively about image quality, in terms of resolution, jaggies, that sort of thing. A 50" 4k screen looks amazing because of the viewing distance, and colors pop because of it being OLED or whatever, that sort of thing. But PPI is a number, a fact, it can't be debated. And, yes, a 50" 4k screen has a lower PPI than the Switch at native resolution.

The closer you are to the screen, the more PPI you need for the screen to look good. The PPI of a 50" 4k screen is great for its viewing distance, and so is the PPI of the Switch screen, at its native res. That's not debatable. What is debatable, of course, and is what we are debating right now, is whether of not the upscaling / AA Snake Pass does looks convincing on the Switch's screen.[/I QUOTE]

I get what you are saying but the you can't just look at PPI and not take other factors into account. The distance at which you sit from the screen is a big factor in how the image looks. That is the reason why a handheld NEEDS a higher PPI.

That being said the Switch's PPI is still lower than other handheld devices. I think the screen on my Switch is good but Zelda could definitely look better.

And under no circumstances does the switch screen looks better than my tv, no matter the distance.

And it's really not debatable that a native resolution will be better than upscaled with AA, on any platform.

Then good news, there's hundreds of other ways you can play a game on the Switch. I personally often play it while reclining on the couch while my wife watches TV, with it plugged into an outlet. Or in bed.

Get a USB-C power bank, they work really well to extend the battery life.

I believe John says in the video that it's coming later. They wanted to do a Switch PS4 comparison since that would likely be the most interesting comparison.

I have a regular power brick I bought from Sony for my Vita years ago. I just order a USB-C to USB 3 cable. Do you think it will work to charge my Switch or do I specifically need a USB-C power bank?

Recall

And this is pretty much the only reason I haven't bought Snake Pass yet. No way I'm paying for a sub HD current gen game to play on a 720p screen. Too bad to as the game does interest me.

So buy the game to play the game if it interests you. The unique mechanics and systems, the challenge and enjoyment are there for you.

But you can't because it doesn't look right to you? Why play games?

I feel the same way in theory, but a lot of times it's just not practical.

80s kid here and there is no way in hell I could ever imagine taking any kind of portable on the subway in Manhattan every day during rush hour. You barely have room to stand.

A lot of it is lifestyle. I'm almost never going to take my switch with me. Mine hasn't left my apartment once and it's been docked about 95% of the time.

If I was a kid in school or even in college, I could see the portability being great. For me, it's pretty much useless.

Try Snipperclips. I played it with in portable mode with my wife using one of the joycons and me using the other. It was pretty cool and we had a great time. I never plan on bringing my Switch out of the house but within your house the portability is still useful. The only thing that sucks is the battery life.

Try Snipperclips. I played it with in portable mode with my wife using one of the joycons and me using the other. It was pretty cool and we had a great time. I never plan on bringing my Switch out of the house but within your house the portability is still useful. The only thing that sucks is the battery life.

If you're both at home, each using a joycon and looking a screen that's not in your hands, how is that different than just having a console with 2 controllers on a TV? Genuinely curious here not hating.

As a father for a lively son I very much find the Switch useful.

If I was a college kid with nothing but time and the TV for myself I could see the ability to only play from TV great. For me, it's pretty much useless.

Funny how that works?

I get so much more playing time with Switch, there's no one else hogging the screen, I can play it while guarding my son all over the house, even outside (tho I will probs play with the son there).

I can play it when I am visiting wife's family and I want some lone time. Heck, if I just want to be alone I take my Switch and go somewhere where I can be totally alone.

Seriosly, this thing is a revelation for all of us dads who need to actually spend time (or be near at least) with their kids. It's different if you're the kind of parent who doesn't participate in their kids lives if it unconveniences you (too much these around still, it's 2017).

Not saying that my quotee is like that, of course. More in the general sense, passive in English sucks.

EDarkness

And thus begins the internal war of docked fans vs primarily undocked fans...smh..

It just pisses me off that folks think that being portable is the ONLY way people use the system. It's complete BS. Don't get me wrong, I want all versions of the game to be good, because everyone deserves to have a great version of the game in the way they want to play it. However, I don't want this to be at the expense of docked mode. Docked folks already have to give up overall system power just so the handheld form factor can be realized, but then to have to give up fidelity and such so the handheld folks can get everything while docked guys get the leftovers? No way. You guys get to be portable. That's great. Console only guys get a "great looking" game. Everyone wins, I think.

I have a regular power brick I bought from Sony for my Vita years ago. I just order a USB-C to USB 3 cable. Do you think it will work to charge my Switch or do I specifically need a USB-C power bank?

That's a good question, I remember seeing reports of USB-C banks used with the Switch here but I would imagine a normal USB to USB-C power bank should work fine too. I have one that I haven't actually needed to use yet, might try that out later.

If you're both at home, each using a joycon and looking a screen that's not in your hands, how is that different than just having a console with 2 controllers on a TV? Genuinely curious here not hating.

It's not really different as i stated in an earlier comment but the fact that the design of the switch lets you use it remotely, with just the joycons that comes with it for two people to play a game i thought was neat. We could have just been anywhere else not in the home and done the same thing. The fact that we were at home doesn't negate that. The game is fun too. I just though it was cool is all.

Cuningas de Häme;233045640 said:
Seriosly, this thing is a revelation for all of us dads who need to actually spend time (or be near at least) with their kids. It's different if you're the kind of parent who doesn't participate in their kids lives if it unconveniences you (too much these around still, it's 2017).

Um, this part is pretty damn weird to say I'm not gonna lie. I'm a father of a young daughter, and when I am "actually spending time" with her, I don't think ignoring her to stare at a screen in my hands counts. As it is, my wife and I try our hardest not to be on our phones during family time. If you are playing a video game instead of interacting with the kid, you aren't "participating" imo. And that's fine, just weird you would sound so judgmental about other parents while giving this example...

If you are talking about playing games WITH your kid, you can literally do that with any console or PC out there, the Switch is no different.

That's a good question, I remember seeing reports of USB-C banks used with the Switch here but I would imagine a normal USB to USB-C power bank should work fine too. I have one that I haven't actually needed to use yet, might try that out later.

I'm going to try it out later on. Hope it works so I don't have to buy a new power bank.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional

I communte 40 minutes each way on the London Underground every morning and honestly, I can't think of anywhere less ideal to try to get lost in a game (people do though, I'll grant you that).

I mean, we can debate what is and isn't close minded, but are any of things I've listed not completely true?

I've been gaming since the late 90s and I have yet to be convinced at how keeping the gaming experience in the dark and cold basement, while limiting your exposure to the real world and sitting curled up on the couch in a completely un-social, boring ass environment is a benefit.

Except everything that you've listed is a variable: home consoles need not be any of the things you've mentioned, but as I said above, everything I've listed, really is emphatically true of all handhelds except, in the case of swtich, sitting hunched (from which you can detatch the controllers and have a preferable experinece - I'll detract that one).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
got an update just now on switch what what ?
Nevermind they fixed the rumble

"After experimenting some problems with the HD Rumble, Snake Pass has been updated on Switch to version 1.1. This patch should fix the loud rumble issue that we reported before. We’re also hearing that the visuals may have been improved, but we can’t verify that just yet."

If I was a college kid with nothing but time and the TV for myself I could see the ability to only play from TV great. For me, it's pretty much useless.

Funny how that works?

I get so much more playing time with Switch, there's no one else hogging the screen, I can play it while guarding my son all over the house, even outside (tho I will probs play with the son there).

I can play it when I am visiting wife's family and I want some lone time. Heck, if I just want to be alone I take my Switch and go somewhere where I can be totally alone.

Not saying that my quotee is like that, of course. More in the general sense, passive in English sucks.

I'm in the same situation it's great for family man with limited TV and gaming time. The only thing is my family (non of them gamers except our nephews) look at me funny. LOL

watershed

Banned
So buy the game to play the game if it interests you. The unique mechanics and systems, the challenge and enjoyment are there for you.

But you can't because it doesn't look right to you? Why play games?

You can't enjoy a game because of that? It's $20.
For now its 20 bucks I'd rather not spend on Snake Pass. For me the center piece of the Switch is it's sweet 720p hd screen right in the middle which makes it a visually awesome portable console. I don't intend to buy any non-virtual console type release that is sub native 720p on the Switch's screen or at least not one that is noticeably soft/blurry. The game does interest me but not enough to look at blurry, visibly sub HD visuals for hours. If there is a patch at some point then I will probably dip for it.

FX-GMC

Except everything that you've listed is a variable: home consoles need not be any of the things you've mentioned, but as I said above, everything I've listed, really is emphatically true of all handhelds except, in the case of swtich, sitting hunched (from which you can detatch the controllers and have a preferable experinece - I'll detract that one).

You missed two other variables:

less private environment
more distraction-laden environment

If you had left those three things out then maybe i wouldn't have made a sarcastic post about it. The way you wrote it originally had an agenda behind it.

That's just me though...

Interfectum

Funny how that works?

Yup, this. After having a kid recently my PS4/PC time has plummeted 90-95%. After getting the Switch I'm gaming almost as much as I want to again. Work breaks, in bed, etc. It feels great to not have to be tethered to a large TV or PC monitor to get some relatively high quality console gaming in. (I also now do remote play Vita but it's not near as satisfying as native gameplay imo, too many weird issues/compromises over the course of playtime)

Originally Posted by Berordn

I communte 40 minutes each way on the London Underground every morning and honestly, I can't think of anywhere less ideal to try to get lost in a game (people do though, I'll grant you that).

Originally Posted by antibolo

I mean, we can debate what is and isn't close minded, but are any of things I've listed not completely true?

Originally Posted by FX-GMC

The only appropriate picture for this.

VPAOeo4.jpg

Would people still be complaining about portable mode if all games were able to hold 720p consistently at 30 /60 fps? I believe they would still complain and say it isnt 1080p in 2017...

Mario Kart 8 is 1080 / 60 fps docked and 720p / 60 fps portable and people still managed to complain about its lack of AA and visual improvements.. You cant win with everyone.

TLZ

Banned
I can play it while guarding my son all over the house, even outside (tho I will probs play with the son there).

So much for sociability.

Seriosly, this thing is a revelation for all of us dads who need to actually spend time (or be near at least) with their kids. It's different if you're the kind of parent who doesn't participate in their kids lives if it unconveniences you (too much these around still, it's 2017)

From one dad to another: Here's a suggestion if you want to spend time with your kids; stop gaming and spend time with your kids!

Yup, this. After having a kid recently my PS4/PC time has plummeted 90-95%. After getting the Switch I'm gaming almost as much as I want to again. Work breaks, in bed, etc. It feels great to not have to be tethered to a large TV or PC monitor to get some relatively high quality console gaming in. (I also now do remote play Vita but it's not near as satisfying as native gameplay imo)

I agree 100% with this point. I have a newborn as well and was predominately a PC gamer who bought Nintendo consoles as a change of pace. I pretty much have lost most of my PC time and replaced it with the Switch. Me and my wife love the flexibility of it.. snap it off on the go and or drop it on a dock in our bedroom or living room to play on the tv.

shiyrley

Banned
So much for sociability.

From one dad to another: Here's a suggestion if you want to spend time with your kids; stop gaming and spend time with your kids!
You are actually and unironically judging someone because the Switch fits their lifestyle. Wow.

Remind me to never debate with you.

pulsemyne

For now its 20 bucks I'd rather not spend on Snake Pass. For me the center piece of the Switch is it's sweet 720p hd screen right in the middle which makes it a visually awesome portable console. I don't intend to buy any non-virtual console type release that is sub native 720p on the Switch's screen or at least not one that is noticeably soft/blurry. The game does interest me but not enough to look at blurry, visibly sub HD visuals for hours. If there is a patch at some point then I will probably dip for it.
Except it looks perfectly fine when playing it on the screen. Also it's the gameplay that counts and it's a good game.

This is getting off topic (in a thread you started nonetheless), but yeah the things you listed are not completely true at all.

A) Battery life. You can play docked or play plugged into an outlet or power bank, no more battery issues.

B) Hunched. I play 95% of the time while reclining, never hunched. I'd ascribed "hunched" far more to PC gaming than anything else actually.

C) Less private. I play again, about 95% of the time in my home.

D) More distraction laden. Same as above.

Also the screen is lower resolution than most new TVs, but I still have 2 720p TVs in my house. It's the same resolution as those.

Anyway like I said this is very off topic but those are the things you are wrong about being always true. You can't call those home console/PC gaming things variables while not doing the same for the Switch. EDIT: And the other great point of convenience for the Switch is that you CAN play it exactly like home consoles if YOU WANT TO. It gives you all of these options out of the box to suit your needs, which is how it achieves it's major purpose: increased convenience.

Anyway on topic, does anyone know when we can expect the XB1 comparison? And is there any more reason to believe Sumo will be addressing the resolution in a patch?

In positive story. I didn't knew the Switch could do TXAA with the Tegra.

Wouldn't MFAA be a better option as it has a lower performance cost than both MSAA and TXAA while being less blurry at the same time?

TLZ

Banned
You are actually and unironically judging someone because the Switch fits their lifestyle. Wow.

Remind me to never debate with you.

He's literally said he's spending time with his kids because the switch allows him to game away from TV, yet he's fixated on the small screen enjoying time alone. How exactly is that considered spending time with the kids? I'm a dad and I do this daily; when I want to spend some quality time with my kids it means I give them my full attention and stay the fuck away from any distractions. No phones or tablets, just me and them constantly interacting. If me and the kids are having fun together on a tablet or phone that is different. Sitting with them but busy on a phone or a tablet alone is hardly spending any time with them.

His words not mine.

psn

The closer you are to the screen, the more PPI you need for the screen to look good. The PPI of a 50" 4k screen is great for its viewing distance, and so is the PPI of the Switch screen, at its native res. That's not debatable. What is debatable, of course, and is what we are debating right now, is whether of not the upscaling / AA Snake Pass does look convincing on the Switch's screen.

Still, you can only compare the ppi of the native resolution, as that makes them comparable in iq.

If a game is running at a semi native resolution, you lose clarity and iq, which is not comparable to a game running @native resolution with less ppi. Also, the viewing distance is also not calculated in in your example.

Why is it so demanding? Even on PS4 PRO they couldn't reach decent FPS and resolution? This is not ARK with big world and many entities.

shiyrley

Banned
Still, you can only compare the ppi of the native resolution, as that makes them comparable in iq.

If a game is running at a semi native resolution, you lose clarity and iq, which is not comparable to a game running @native resolution with less ppi. Also, the viewing difference is also not calculated in in your example.
I said multiple times that I know snake pass does not look as if it was native res, but the antialiasing masks it. That's why it looks fine, not amazing, but fine.

It's just that people think that it looks like ass when it's not even near to being that bad, and people think that super high resolution are a must regardless of screen size. I love high resolutions, I have a 1440p 25" monitor, but the hyperbole regarding how this game looks on the 6.2" switch screen is sad. Also remember that the game is super low res on PS4 too, it's not as if we were talking about 1080p vs 844xwhatever. So a game that is 1080p on PS4 should be able to have a higher res than this on Switch. I'm optimistic. We'll see.

jjonez18

Huh was not expecting this game to be 30fps with sub 1080 visuals. Looks like they made it work though. On all consoles aside from the frame pacing on Switch.

psn

I said multiple times that I know snake pass does not look as if it was native res, but the antialiasing masks it. That's why it looks fine, not amazing, but fine.

It's just that people think that it looks like ass when it's not even near to being that bad, and people think that super high resolution are a must regardless of screen size. I love high resolutions, I have a 1440p 25" monitor, but the hyperbole regarding how this game looks on the 6.2" switch screen is sad. Also remember that the game is super low res on PS4 too, it's not as if we were talking about 1080p vs 844xwhatever. So a game that is 1080p on PS4 should be able to have a higher res than this on Switch. I'm optimistic. We'll see.

I can't judge how it looks, as I have no Switch. I just wanted to add that in general.

I just don't think that this is a good port in any way tbh (for both, ps4 and switch). But everyone is entitled to his opinion. It might not be that bad, but I don't know why I should support an (imo) bad optimized game.

Top Bottom