• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Board Games Thread: Async Multiplatform Meeples

emag

Playdek's just going to let Lords of Waterdeep die with iOS 11, aren't they? The game launched after the first 64-bit iPhone in 2013, yet has still not been updated with 64-bit support. :(

Would this Ascension expansion be better served diluted with other decks like the past few sets?

Why would you dilute Dreamscape?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Playdek's just going to let Lords of Waterdeep die with iOS 11, aren't they? The game launched after the first 64-bit iPhone in 2013, yet has still not been updated with 64-bit support. :(

Why would you dilute Dreamscape?

It still works though right? I'd actually be up for any Playdek game -- still have pretty much all of them installed.

emag

It still works though right? I'd actually be up for any Playdek game -- still have pretty much all of them installed.

Lords of Waterdeep works for now, but since 10.3.1, pops up with a warning urging you to contact the developer (to update it to 64-bit mode). It's clear that Apple is going to delist and/or disable 32-bit only apps soon (no 32-bit only apps have been accepted for listing for two years now).

ultron87

Would this Ascension expansion be better served diluted with other decks like the past few sets?
I think the day/night theme in the new one works much better standalone. If you put in a bunch of other cards I could see it resulting in it either not changing that often or staying in the neutral state.

Is it single player also? I actually own the board game but my wife and I have yet to play it. Maybe I can learn it this way and teach her ...

Yep. There is a single player mode. You can only play solo with two players last time I played. Was part of the beta testing. Not sure if they changed this in the final version.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Epic has gone into alpha on PC/Mac for Kickstarters, and should get released to Google Play and iOS this week. Haven't gotten into a game yet, but the UI seems fairly fleshed out. Seems like you can challenge other people directly, too. Anyone else Kickstart it?

CzarTim

Epic has gone into alpha on PC/Mac for Kickstarters, and should get released to Google Play and iOS this week. Haven't gotten into a game yet, but the UI seems fairly fleshed out. Seems like you can challenge other people directly, too. Anyone else Kickstart it?

Yeah, been playing it. Biggest gripe is "real time" playing doesn't work like most digital CCGs, it works like Star Realms. So it feels like it's async. The turn timer is too waaaay too long.

HotHamBoy

Card Thief is out on iOS $1.99

I'm surprised it hasn't been posted, been up since Monday.

This is the spiritual follow-up to Card Crawl. It's a pretty different game, deeper and more complex.

I've really been enjoying it!

screen696x696.jpeg

screen696x696.jpeg

screen696x696.jpeg

butzopower

proud of his butz
Yeah, been playing it. Biggest gripe is "real time" playing doesn't work like most digital CCGs, it works like Star Realms. So it feels like it's async. The turn timer is too waaaay too long.

Challenged what I assume is you to a async draft match. If anyone else has the alpha, I'm butzopower.

emag

Terra Mystica coming soon.
I've never played Terra Mystica. Will it translate well to async?
Digidiced do a decent job of making their games work online.

TM is extremely popular as an asynchronous multiplayer game in its unofficial/fan-made form. I hope the official port keeps the streamlined play of the current implementations while adding a beautiful UI.

Steam: Rail to Riches is out on steam

I've always wanted to try a heavier train game (18xx intrigues me) so this seems like a good step up from Ticket to Ride.

I bought Steam on iOS when it was released a while back but have only played it periodically. The AI has never impressed me, but that's true of auction-driven games in general. Also I really dislike Steam vis a vis its direct predecessor, Age of Steam.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Not sure if it's a bug, but Searing Askara in the new Ascension expansion lets you acquire a card that costs 3 runes or below, regardless of if it costs power as well.

HotHamBoy

pic3504006_md.jpg

The digital version of Race For The Galaxy will release on iOS and Android on May 3 for $6.99

Also, I'm gonna cross-post this:

Can I suggest some great Hearthstone Alternatives?

3051808-trailer_elderscrollslegends_gameplay_20160421.jpg

krosmaga_0e2cb039.jpg

aurora_logo_1200x630.jpg

ogp.jpg

These are the CCG games I've been playing recently.

Elder Scrolls Legends and Shadowverse are variations on the Hearthstone formula. Krosmaga and Faeria are much more unique and do their own thing. They are all fairly generous compared to HS.

I'm especially fond of Krosmaga and its fun world and lane battling. If you create an account on the website you can enter these codes to get some free card packs: GOKROSMAGA and KROSMAKNA

Krosmaga-review-f2p-6.jpg

Faeria is a goddamn gorgeous looking game and the boardgame aspects are really cool.

faeria-sample.jpg

Elder Scrolls Legends also places an emphasis on the strategy of placement, though not quite as much as those two.

lanes-and-lane-effects.jpg

Shadowverse has been around for awhile but I thought I'd still mention it. It is a little too anime for me and I personally find the app gawdy, busy and often ugly. But it has some deep and interesting mechanics and it's the most generous of all. A new player gets 40 packs of 10 cards across 4 sets right away and then some.

ANYQHUKhAe_VsElrVhqYehCcgiXSQ2XTZAoM3SsncaJk186FHK16HFBHSj4fbGNnlg=h900

HotHamBoy

Thanks for this - I'll be checking out the ones I haven't played. Faeria and Legends are two of my favorites. If you haven't seen it yet, give Eternal a look too.

I will!

Here's some stuff for anyone interested in Faeria:

FOUR FREE BATTLE CHESTS IN FAERIA: Enter Coupon Code: FaeriaKripp

The iOS version accidentally removed the coupon field in the store with the latest update so you will have to do it on the Steam version.

Add my username HotHamBoy as your recruiter (in your friends list) and you will get two more free chests and we will both receive goodies when the other gets stuff.

For another code for 4 chests + 2 Pandora coins go here:
http://concours.jeuxonline.info/concours/452

The website is in French. Scroll to the bottom and click to go to step 2. On page two tick the bubble saying "Oui!" to receiving the code. Enter your email in the field below and tick the Terms box. Proceed to the next step, which is just a summary, then proceed to the final page to send the email.

The email will probably go to your spam folder because it's in French.

There are only 80~ keys left but the giveaway runs til June.

That's 50 free cards to start your collection! You are all but guaranteed to pull at least one legendary.

Slacker

Thanks HotHamBoy! I'll do that tonight.

Ended up ignoring the new Overwatch update and playing Krosmaga all night last night. Great game!

HotHamBoy

Thanks HotHamBoy! I'll do that tonight.

Ended up ignoring the new Overwatch update and playing Krosmaga all night last night. Great game!

Yeah, it's really cool. I don't know if you ever played Monster Monpiece on Vita but it's like a much better version of that without the shitty pandering art.

My only quibble is that matches can sometimes go a little long with neither player making any field progress for awhile. But it's a fun game, regardless. Did you use those Krosmaga codes and get any good Legendaries?

I'm HotHam on Krosmaga & Clash Royale and HotHamBoy on Elder Scrolls if you ever want to play.

HotHamBoy on Star Realms & Ascension too, if anyone wants to play that, although I'm not very consistent about checking in.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ok yeah i've really enjoyed what i've played so far. quite enjoy the emphasis on single player which i'm sure is pretty rare for the genre. helps that i love the theme too. i feel like the resolution is kinda low or maybe it's just me though

I mainly think about the graphics in terms of "why did they do this to themselves? Every card has so many art, animation, and audio assets attached to them. What a pain in the ass this must be, it's a card game it could have been so much simpler and cheaper to iterate on"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I mainly think about the graphics in terms of "why did they do this to themselves? Every card has so many art, animation, and audio assets attached to them. What a pain in the ass this must be, it's a card game it could have been so much simpler and cheaper to iterate on"

Yeah I do kind of prefer the cleaner look of Hearthstone and would appreciate higher res on the assets but always loved the PvZ aesthetic generally.

Anyone got the RFTG beta and want to try a multiplayer game? (Or is that possible)
Tutorials and interface are very good so far.
I expect to be destroyed by the single player AI.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Talked some work buddies into buying the Splendor app since we always enjoy that locally and turns out it's not async. :(

Ha yeah -- I basically assume games don't have async anymore. Some do but then you have to like create an account and stuff and it's impossible to find a game. Even Galaxy Trucker which is AMAZING I can never find a live game. :/ Too bad Game Center never really got implemented or took off properly. Async is DYING for a good central GC friend/invite system.

It's really a bummer that Playdek and TheCodingMonkeys mostly got out of the game. Those apps REALLY did things right. Continues to be sososad that an app that came out 5+ years ago (Carc) is still way above other apps in terms of features (use of proprietary and GC accounts, async, async chat, Elo!!!).

Grifter

Ha yeah -- I basically assume games don't have async anymore. Some do but then you have to like create an account and stuff and it's impossible to find a game. Even Galaxy Trucker which is AMAZING I can never find a live game. :/ Too bad Game Center never really got implemented or took off properly. Async is DYING for a good central GC friend/invite system.

It's really a bummer that Playdek and TheCodingMonkeys mostly got out of the game. Those apps REALLY did things right. Continues to be sososad that an app that came out 5+ years ago (Carc) is still way above other apps in terms of features (use of proprietary and GC accounts, async, async chat, Elo!!!).

Yeah, I just recently discovered that GC is mostly gone when I went to create a Carc game with some regulars I've been playing, saw they weren't on my friends list, and found that it's difficult to add them (might've needed to ask for their email). Didn't see them on my recent players list either, so I'm not sure if that still even works. Ended up just not making the game due to the lost features.

Yeah, I just recently discovered that GC is mostly gone when I went to create a Carc game with some regulars I've been playing, saw they weren't on my friends list, and found that it's difficult to add them (might've needed to ask for their email). Didn't see them on my recent players list either, so I'm not sure if that still even works. Ended up just not making the game due to the lost features.
Yep. My wife deleted her profile by accident and can't recreate it because GC is gone, which means all her games and friends are gone. She's had to add people (family) over email or iMessage which works. It's obviously much harder with the semi-casual acquaintances you'd collect over time on somewhere like here.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep. My wife deleted her profile by accident and can't recreate it because GC is gone, which means all her games and friends are gone. She's had to add people (family) over email or iMessage which works. It's obviously much harder with the semi-casual acquaintances you'd collect over time on somewhere like here.

Ugh that's pretty awful. Would be a great time for that Playdek planned cross-game chat+invite system to launch. :) But unfortunately I'm not sure if that's even still in development. That is one good thing about their games though is you do at least retain Friends across games (even though I pretty much just play Ascension from them nowadays I'd be happy to play anything if anyone's sending out invites).

EDIT: Forgot to mention -- Onirim is really good! Tough solo card game, and tutorial is very solid. Learned the game in like two minutes.

Top Bottom