• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Admits To Botching Battlefield 4 PS4/XB1 Video Capture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a BlackMagic capture device of some kind. Which allows 1080p at 30fps or 720p at 60fps, but uncompressed footage.

The Elgato offers the above, but compressed captured footage to MP4 container.

Also I believe Elgato is limited to 1080p 30fps so they wouldn't have been able to do framerate measurements with it.

They mentioned in their analysis that they suspected there was something wrong with their capturing of the Xbone. It's not like they were trying to hide it. They ran it because it was all the footage they had and they had no chance to get more footage because of it being a tightly controlled review event.

DJ12

Yes, interesting indeed how the first DF face-off for next-gen made the XB version look better and downplayed some differences.
Especially when these differences where the sole reason for df choosing 360 over ps3 in most head to heads last time round.

Leadbetter is running the risk of his fanboyism ruining the sites reputation.

mocoworm

Are we seriously having the same discussion again as when the comment was originally posted in the BF4 thread?

The source of the OP is GAF!

th4tguy

That's great.

I'm just wondering how the fuck did people come to the conclusion that Digital Foundry purposely botched up the video capture to make it look like the Xbox One version is better, when the article about the comparison clearly says that the best console version is undeniably the Playstation 4's.

Then I realise we live in a world where some are convinced that there are the Illuminati controlling governments like puppet on strings.

You guys are fucking nuts.

Both Xbone and PS4 videos were off. Neither were captured right and that is a problem. The outcome conclusion doesn't matter because it wont change, but the people who want to see the video comparisons are not given an accurate representation of either system because of their error. They are being open about the problem and this is great. Now if they would recapture it and fix the issue, it would be even better.

Hyunashi

I dont think they did it on purpose, because they still proclaimed the PS4 version as better looking and running more stable. They also admitted to the problem

Hopefully they dont fuck up the Call of Duty one, because then i am not sure most of us will give them the benefit of doubt.

Of course they cant, it would just reiterate the hate that has been thrown around today. If the 1080p v 720p stuff is true, the cod one will be very interesting.

Dahaka

How many people in that thread alone did not read the article fully and just shouted based on the pictures?
Are pictures easier to share and make viral rather than portions of the article?

Not to claim that they purposefully did this, but let's say that MS thoroughly enjoyed its side-effects...

Exactly.

Guys, look how many people actually believed in the Xbox One to be superior just from those pictures. The significance of that text is a microbe compared to sharing pictures/gifs/videos over the web because people want to watch and not read and in this case it worked very well in MS favors.

IMBored

The only think that, for me, is bad about this is not that there's a mistake on the capture. On a review event, with specific capture hardware it's bound to happen.
It's that the review event was last week, they had the time to edit it, run fps analysis, compare the differences between versions and either didn't notice that the capture was bad, or decided that it wasn't worthy of a mention on the article until they where called for it.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Also I believe Elgato is limited to 1080p 30fps so they wouldn't have been able to do framerate measurements with it.

Yeah. Unless i read wrong, they state they didn't use the Elgatos that were handed out. Jacksfrags and others did.

The Elgato software has a colour balance feature that can be tweaked, and directly affects the resultant output on the screen the console is connected to.

Samyy

The only think that, for me, is bad about this is not that there's a mistake on the capture. On a review event, with specific capture hardware it's bound to happen.
It's that the review event was last week, they had the time to edit it, run fps analysis, compare the differences between versions and either didn't notice that the capture was bad, or decided that it wasn't worthy of a mention on the article until they where called for it.

The thing is that they did a proper analysis text wise, but I guess they knew no one would read it anyway, hence all the confusion.

Corto

Really unfortunate. This was the one that they could not absolutely mess up. It's impossible this was premeditated, the fallout of this will be most damaging for DF as the nature of their work is technical analysis so their technical reputation is ultimately their support. They should be upfront though in the article about these constraints or even take down the article.

Vlodril

If its a honest mistake did they take down the article until they can put up one which corrected the mistake?

NBtoaster

Maybe because they saw the footage and should be able to tell something wasn't right? C'mon man...

They mentioned that some strange differences could be a capture issue in the article. The rest of it is still valid, and their conclusion (that PS4 version was clearly superior) wouldn't have been different with correct footage.

Mikey Jr.

i1W78hF2mvoJn.gif

gif destroys the image quality, but there you go. Anyone know if there's an ANPG plugin for photoshop?

This is MUCH better. That washed out video was horseshit.

Mitark

in my opinion they should delete everything and start over, anything based on these video is wrong.

i don't know why they did this on the first comparison between the next generation console, i don't buy the time issue they should have waited and made a proper one.

this is awful comparison, i just feel sorry for dark10x, he is one of my favorites GAF member.

$h@d0w

DF joins Geis and Keith Dent in the pit of "garmez journalizm" losers.

EA should come down hard on these clowns for misrepresenting their game.

Good.

Every single person on this forum needs to know what crushed blacks are and that they are objectively bad because it results in a loss of image detail.

I'd be fine with writing this off as an honest mistake IF they updated their article and admitted their screw up. Leaving it online unchanged, even though they know their captures are fucked, kills their credibility.

Did they not use their own capturing device for both consoles? So whats wrong with the comparison? They need to tune it for the PS4 and not the X1, or are both under "tuned?" If both were tested with the same settings, I'm not sure why the outrage? I'm confused by the title of "botching."

I know, but they still went ahead and posted this stuff... they should (and probably did) know better.

They weren't able to record new footage because of it being a review event, and decided not to focus on the color saturation in their analysis because it was suspect. Their analysis and their review match up, and justifies posting their comparison video.

Vitor711

in my opinion they should delete everything and start over, anything based on these video is wrong.

i don't know why they did this on the first comparison between the next generation console, i don't buy the time issue they should have waited and made a proper one.

this is awful comparison, i just feel sorry for dark10x, he is one of my favorites GAF member.

They specifically stated that it was a 'Preview' comparison and not final. It's in the title.

They will be revisiting the games later once they have their own in-house consoles. And, even with the mistake, the comparison is still pretty accurate. Things like the resolution, lack of HBAO etc. were all points they mentioned. And yes, the Xbone version does look surprisingly good for upscaled 720. The upscaler is clearly better than what we had last generation which is a good thing. The PS4 version still came out significantly on top and people agree that the blur does the game a disservice. I don't see the issue with any of their conclusions.

Do people just decide to hate on anything that doesn't 100% back up their preconceptions? The DF f*cked up. ONCE. And it was a totally honest mistake. Their equipment let them do Framerate analysis at the least which other guys could not.

There's no agenda here, no money changing hands, just a simple mistake. I imagine they'll be updating the article with this information at the top before long.

How many people in that thread alone did not read the article fully and just shouted based on the pictures?
Are pictures easier to share and make viral rather than portions of the article?

Not to claim that they purposefully did this, but let's say that MS thoroughly enjoyed its side-effects...

You're talking nonsense. If people are to lazy to read and yet want to join the discussion who's fault is that again?

As for MS benefiting, they benefit anyways. The foreshadowing of complete and utter disaster for Xbone on this forum was so strong that the idea of parity, let alone thoughts of the Xbone version looking better, is a huge win for MS.

MS has one more hurdle to cross with COD: Ghosts. If they can pass that hurdle they can fully refocus on the difference between X1 and PS4 as far as 1st party games go and that's an area where they are more then competitive.

mocoworm

I think that this should be added to the OP.

dark10x specifically said he wasn't a spokesman for DF and therefore there is no admission, basically making the entire thread moot.

God damn it, why do sites do this? That's not an official statement. :\

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87943487&postcount=23

Well, to be fair, that's just my statement on the situation not an official DF statement (as in, it wasn't cleared by Rich or anything). I do work for them but I wasn't involved in this comparison. That's just my understanding of how things went down (as in, it was a special event and DF brought its own capture hardware while everyone else used elgato boxes handed out by reps).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87937371&postcount=3371

IMBored

The thing is that they did a proper analysis text wise, but I guess they knew no one would read it anyway, hence all the confusion.

But in the text they never mention that the capture wasn't calibrated correctly, and if they analyzed that footage, the analysis wasn't 100% accurate.

FDC1

Shouldn't they "unlink" this article until it's corrected? That would be the professional thing to do but I suppose they can't say no to all this clicks...

Tsundere

Banned
Did they not use their own capturing device for both consoles? So whats wrong with the comparison? They need to tune it for the PS4 and not the X1, or are both under "tuned?" If both were tested with the same settings, I'm not sure why the outrage? I'm confused by the title of "botching."
They tuned both differently.

Exactly.

Guys, look how many people actually believed in the Xbox One to be superior just from those pictures. The significance of that text is a microbe compared to sharing pictures/gifs/videos over the web because people want to watch and not read and in this case it worked very well in MS favors.

My point was on people completely disregarding the article and going straight to pick up their torches and pitchforks and starting a(nother) Leadbetter witch hunt.

Yes, it worked well in MS favors.

Do I find it unfortunate? Did that pissed me off? No.

Because in any other case it would have been a stupid mistake which is at best, a face palming moment. But no. Some are convinced that Microsoft is paying DF, got caught for doing this, and it was thanks to NeoGAF that such travesty was stopped.

Those guys aren't making a mountain out of a molehill. They are making a mountain out of a grain of sand. Shit like that pisses me off.

Good.

Every single person on this forum needs to know what crushed blacks are and that they are objectively bad because it results in a loss of image detail.

That's... your opinion. A high contrast post-production effect could be applied to mimic the contrasty and cinematic look of film. Not saying that it's appropriate for your average FPS. But it seems like a lot of people learned the term "crushed blacks" last night and are just repeating what someone else told them.

plainr_

Shouldn't they have noticed something was wrong with the captures before editing? Some of gaf members spotted the issues off the bat.

Into

I think that this should be added to the OP.

dark10x specifically said he wasn't a spokesman for DF and therefore there is no admission, basically making the entire thread moot.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87943487&postcount=23

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87937371&postcount=3371

That does not negate the thread at all, he gave us vital piece of information that completely changes the nature of the article.

That's just my understanding of how things went down (as in, it was a special event and DF brought its own capture hardware while everyone else used elgato boxes handed out by reps)

They specifically stated that it was a 'Preview' comparison and not final. It's in the title.

They will be revisiting the games later once they have their own in-house consoles.

Do people just decide to hate on anything that doesn't 100% back up their preconceptions? The DF f*cked up. ONCE. And it was a totally honest mistake. Their equipment let them do Framerate analysis at the least which other guys could not.

There's no agenda here, no money changing hands, just a simple mistake. I imagine they'll be updating the article with this information at the top before long.

I'm shocked at how angry people are getting about either an article they didn't read or a regular eurogamer feature that they've never read.

Digital Foundry is the gold standard for graphics analysis, and have more than justified themselves with their years of articles. In this "horribly biased, botched" article, they even mentioned multiple times in the article that they thought something was up with their capture kits and told the reader not to focus on what they thought was an error on their part, and didn't let that factor into their analysis.

I'm not seeing what the huge sin is.

Corto

Rainy Dog

Good.

The next thing they need to learn is that artificial, high-frequency post-sharpening/edge-enhancement also results of loss of real detail. Even more so in motion.

Gaz_RB

That's... your opinion. A high contrast post-production effect could be applied to mimic the contrasty and cinematic look of film. Not saying that it's appropriate for your average FPS. But it seems like a lot of people learned the term "crushed blacks" last night and are just repeating what someone else told them.

I agree that it's possible for some people to think it looks good and prefer it over something like what the video showed of the PS4. Despite the loss of detail.

Caayn

Come on guys. It was Just an honest mistake. If DF is biased they wouldn't have clearly stated multiple times that the PS4 version is superior.
Some people here are almost like Don Quixote here, fighting monsters that aren't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom