• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Bloodborne's 1.03 patch tested

Although i've never had a problem with the load times the addition of item descriptions are what i'm most excited about. So great patch.

yea the decision to go with a static load screen was bizarre when they had them in as far back as Demon's Souls in 2009. it made the waiting that much worse.

Holy shit I can't believe some people defended the original load times. 45 seconds? 48? 53? Even with the patch it seems pretty awful.

I saw alot of ppl (myself included) saying it didnt really bother them.

I dont think i've seen anyone outright defend long load time tho.

There,s really no defense. Nothng good about long load times

Tagyhag

Great improvement, still seems too long (how long does Dark Souls 2 on the PS4 take?) But I'm sure people weren't expecting so many seconds being shaved off.

taybul

I didn't play Bloodborne, but let me get this straight...

...issues were occasional +40 seconds loadings?

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

And that was the problem?

OK
Assuming you played perfectly you could theoretically play about 3/4 of the game without seeing a loading screen. I always guessed that's why it took so long.

Great improvement, still seems too long (how long does Dark Souls 2 on the PS4 take?) But I'm sure people weren't expecting so many seconds being shaved off.
Wait, what? When?

Dysun

Holy shit I can't believe some people defended the original load times. 45 seconds? 48? 53? Even with the patch it seems pretty awful.

They were indeed awful, but after dying 150 times you get used to pulling our your phone for a minute

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK
Occasional is not a word I would use to describe how often you see the loading screen in this game.

Jomjom

Banned
Ah I didn't know SSHD mattered that much. I was wondering why most people were complaining of near 1 minute long waits when I never got loading times that long. Excited to see what my load times will be now.

todahawk

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

Yep, and wasn't even remotely an issue for me.
I'll take the shorter load times obviously and I do like the info being added to the load screens though, that's nice.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Assuming you played perfectly you could theoretically play about 3/4 of the game without seeing a loading screen. I always guessed that's why it took so long.

Wait, what? When?

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (remaster) that launched 3 weeks ago.

kinda surprised they didn't add some functionality to the lamps. needing to go back to the Hunters Dream for everything is unnecessary.

I would love that too. But i don't know if this would be simple (level and weapon fortification). Maybe just add the enemy reset function or the world warping.

kinda surprised they didn't add some functionality to the lamps. needing to go back to the Hunters Dream for everything is unnecessary.

Rozart

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

The fact that all you used to see is that white on black title card probably doesn't help much.

Everytime you die, it's there reminding you that you've just failed at 'BLOODBORNE'. When you warp back to level up, it's telling you that you're playing 'BLOODBORNE'. Failed to collect your blood echoes. 'BLOODBORNE'. Warping back to the cathedral ward to try and co-op with your buddy who's playing 'BLOODBORNE'.

'BLOODBORNE'.
'BLOODBORNE'.
'BLOODBORNE'.

It gets to you after a while. :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ah I didn't know SSHD mattered that much. I was wondering why most people were complaining of near 1 minute long waits when I never got loading times that long. Excited to see what my load times will be now.
I have an SSHD too so I'm looking forward to giving this patch a go later.

cakely

I'm not defending them, but it wasn't that big of a deal. My first playthrough was 70 hours and I had a little over 60 total deaths (mostly in the early phases of the game when I was still learning the mechanics).

By the end of my first playthrough I just wasn't dying that often, and I when I did die, I just took a moment to contemplate or get a a drink.

The patch is great news, though. Lower loading times and item descriptions? Yes, please.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
The fact that all you used to see is that white on black title card probably doesn't help much.

Everytime you die, it's there reminding you that you've just failed at 'BLOODBORNE'. When you warp back to level up, it's telling you that you're playing 'BLOODBORNE'. Failed to collect your blood echoes. 'BLOODBORNE'. Warping back to the cathedral ward to try and co-op with your buddy who's playing 'BLOODBORNE'.

'BLOODBORNE'.
'BLOODBORNE'.
'BLOODBORNE'.

At least those with short memory spans knew what game they were playing.

"Wait what is this - oh yes!"

shandy706

I did play it and it wasn't that big of a deal to me. That load screen gave me time to plot my next move

ifXFzsClfRbt6.jpg

Rione

Well hey at least it`s something. I managed to beat a couple games in the total amount of time I spent waiting around for loading screens.

Guess having my vita sitting around was a godsend. Wonder if it`ll improve any more in the future or if this is what they`ll max out at. I believe they're loading fairly large parts of the maps at a time. I recall being able to explore a huge chunk of the game without seeing a single loading screen (assuming I didn't get caught by surprise and killed).

Cess007

there are also areas where From Software over-delivers

I found this quote quite funny as in the other thread someone said the same, and another poster criticized the use of that word :p

Eusis

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK
It's a little annoying if you need to warp to another area to level, upgrade equipment, or shop, then have to wait about a minute and a half in loading. Especially if you go "crap, I forgot to..."

JoduanER2

Every time you died you had to wait 30 second plus?

Sounds like a massive problem to me.

Does this patch fix the frame pacing issues?

yeah wtf, i dont get what this guy is saying, 45 sec every time you die when dying is like jumping in this game is a HUGE problem.

It didn't bother me. What am I supposed to do? Make myself get angry at the load times so you won't get upset?

Not saying they weren't long cause they were very long but I didn't get all the complaining cause it didn't bother me. Most here are saying that. Nobody is defending them

Holy shit.

No joke, the load times had me on the verge of selling this game. I haven't fired it up in weeks but looks like I'll be going back to it this weekend.

OneUh8

I think having something other than the title during load is more welcomed. I honestly used that time to think about what just happened and what I need to do or browse gaf for 30 seconds lol.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I guess the people saying From was going to leave it how it was feel completely silly now. Such great improvement.

Now as long as they fix the frame-pacing issue and give the option to remove CA, the game should be in the most optimal state it can be in.

If you were a fan you should get it, I hear it's a great port. I am curious as to how the PS4 versions loading speed stacks up to Bloodborne because on the PC it was 2-3 seconds on my rig.

Most areas are 5 to 6 seconds at absolute highest on the PS4 version. But then again, Dark Souls 2 is a much less intensive game on the PS4 than Bloodborne is. BB is a true next gen title, DK2 is a last gen game so it makes sense the load times would be much faster. Yakuza 0 and other cross gen/remastered games also benefited from much faster loading times

joecanada

'BLOODBORNE'.
'BLOODBORNE'.
'BLOODBORNE'.

haha I literally never even noticed that. its funny what bugs people. also the load times, I would just grab my phone or chat, didn't bother me. I'll probably be annoyed now as i won't have time to look stuff up with faster load times LOL

Top Bottom