• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Bloodborne's 1.03 patch tested

Randam

That's all nice but what about the real problems the game has?

Coop not working, frame drops when traversing fog gates, massive texture pop ins, you not respawning after death so you have to close down the game.

massive texture pop ins
I adore this game and it wasn't until my second play through that i started to notice all the pop ins....my good god it's almost everywhere, and some of it is hidden very cleverly like bits that pop in and then disappear depending on if the camera is facing them, the flags in hemwick even if your standing underneath them disappear and then if you slowly pan the camera they quickly pop in, same with things behind you that you would't normally see when progressing through an area and fog/mist.
you just never see it on a first play through as your not normally running around from area to area, instead taking your time which gives the game time to load all the assets.
either that or i just didn't notice because i was having too much fun and was so captured by the stunning art direction.

didn't experience any of your other problems though, and as i said the pop in wasn't a problem for me on my first play through and to be honest most of it is so cleverly hidden that i'd actually praise them for finding so many tricks to conceal it.

hesido

Link to full article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-bloodborne-loading-times-improved

csDbJLw.png

Would the hybrid ssd (sshd?) performance differ between different PS4s, because of different installed applications? Or does the hybrid drive automagically arrange itself with respect to data usage so these performance gains are somewhat similar across different PS4's for the same hybrid drive model? Because I would assume PS4's OS wouldn't even know if it's dealing with a hybrid drive.

Randam

I adore this game and it wasn't until my second play through that i started to notice all the pop ins....my good god it's almost everywhere, and some of it is hidden very cleverly like bits that pop in and then disappear depending on if the camera is facing them, the flags in hemwick even if your standing underneath them disappear and then if you slowly pan the camera they quickly pop in, same with things behind you that you would't normally see when progressing through an area and fog/mist.
you just never see it on a first play through as your not normally running around from area to area, instead taking your time which gives the game time to load all the assets.
either that or i just didn't notice because i was having too much fun and was so captured by the stunning art direction.

didn't experience any of your other problems though, and as i said the pop in wasn't a problem for me on my first play through and to be honest most of it is so cleverly hidden that i'd actually praise them for finding so many tricks to conceal it.
Yeah.
Seems like, when you traverse the levels to fast, it gets more noticeable.

But I saw quite some pop ins on my first playthrough too. This was the biggest one:

Bloodborne texture bug: https://youtu.be/ATh8YoEHZyU

Coop not working, frame drops when traversing fog gates, massive texture pop ins, you not respawning after death so you have to close down the game.

The fog gate lag can be avoided by enabling camera collision.

Never heard of the not respawning after death thing. Texture pop in is a sad reality of video games in current times. Corners have to be cut in order for games to run on console hardware, and it's an easy way to cut them. I've never experienced anything like in that video though. Seems more like the PS4 choked to me. Finally, co-op works fine for me. PvP not so much though, but that might not be a bug. It could be a result of the poor design choice of having only a few areas with bell ringers.

Toxi

Banned

Co-op's definitely had some improvements.

I didn't play Bloodborne, but let me get this straight...

...issues were occasional +40 seconds loadings?

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

And that was the problem?

OK

1 minute load times are crazy long in this day and age. Hasn't stopped me from loving the game, but definitely unacceptably long.

Fortunately, this patch has improved things considerable.

Madness

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

If you haven't played, you wouldn't get it. Those loading times are ridiculous for a Souls game or Souls style game where there are times you will die instantly over and over. And so 40-50 second loading every minute or every few minutes is inexcusable. No one would mind if it's just loading hubs or when you start a game. They promised better loading times and they delivered on that.

The amount of times I was staring at a black screen with the words 'Bloodborne' written on it and just had to close my eyes and calmly say "SERENITY NOW!" was getting tiring, so I welcome these slashed load times and more importantly item descriptions on the loading screens.

impact

Banned
In this thread there are people defending long load times. Again.

This already feels like stockholm syndrome.

People will defend anything from their favorite developer

I mean I love FROM and the Souls games, but these dudes should hire some competent coders like yesterday. Everything they do is a technical piece of shit.

hawk2025

I mean I love FROM and the Souls games, but these dudes should hire some competent coders like yesterday. Everything they do is a technical piece of shit.

The only person defending the long load times was someone that hasn't played the game, though.

Pachinko

I can't help but think this game got rushed out to be the big march release just in time for the end of sonys fiscal year. It's not so much that it's not a finished playable product (many people in the other thread about giving up on the game have finished it 3 times so it's definitely a finished product) but it seems to lack that final coat of polish that most bigger games get , perhaps a symptom of it not be a AAA budgeted title but being expected to fill the gaps caused by a lack of AAAA releases in March ?

Things like frame pacing issues and excessive load times and the occasional collision or pathfinding glitch on bosses and enemies feel like the type of thing that could have been cleaned up given more time. And look - it's been about 1 month and some of those issues have been sorted out. Not eliminated but at least sorted out and in a much more finished state.

I just can't help but think , had this game been granted a 4-6 month delay it would have launched in better shape. But, such is the way of gaming releases these days - BloodBorne was intended as a february release but I think The Order 1866 coming out on the 24th of that month gave From software a free 30 day delay. But , just imagine if this had come out in June ? No glitches instead of some glitches , frame pacing problems perhaps 99% cleaned up and load times of 10-15 seconds everywhere instead of 38-52 seconds. Even the loading screen being that high contrast image retention causing logo - it felt like a place holder. Something tossed in there to make sure the game got through certification rather than preforming it's intended purpose.

Alas, since it actually did come out last month , all we can really do now is hope they keep tuning it up post release. I feel like I'll have to feign surprise when "BloodBorne :The forgotten beast"* expansion DLC ships in october with tons of game fixes for the current version and there's also a physical "game of the year " re-release out in time for christmas :p

*note, I'm merely assuming both a name for DLC and that it exists based on the first and second dark souls recieving expansion dlcs with fancy names , there's always a chance from will simply move on to bloodborne 2.

HardRojo

Load times have improved a lot! I don't know if it's the descriptions but for some reason I don't even feel the loading time. Now fix the framepracing issues and Bloodborne will be better than ever!

DOWN

Banned

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

I've probably spent over an hour of my life on loading screens for this game in one play through so yeah, its a lot of loading.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The Dark Souls II DLC evidently sold well enough to make a repackaged version *and* port the game to PS4 and X1. So regardless of Miyazaki's personal opinion on DLC, I'd be shocked if Bloodborne doesn't get expansion-level DLC.

And to be fair, From is pretty good when it comes to DLC that is worthwhile. All 3 additional zones in DSII were large and interesting, with a lot of new rewards and enemies.

Hypron

If you haven't played, you wouldn't get it. Those loading times are ridiculous for a Souls game or Souls style game where there are times you will die instantly over and over. And so 40-50 second loading every minute or every few minutes is inexcusable. No one would mind if it's just loading hubs or when you start a game. They promised better loading times and they delivered on that.

Yeah. Loadings in DaS 2 take <10 s. Bloodborne is ridiculous in comparison.

Those 20-30 second load times are a decent improvement, but they're still not great. With good code optimization, load times should be 10 to 15 seconds tops, regardless of area. That said, I'd prefer From now focus their attention to addressing other bugs and performance issues with the game.

LOL it has some issues it is hardly a technical pile of shit jesus people.

GorillaJu

Yeah, tbh, I never really had a problem with it either.

Honestly I also never felt the issue with load times while playing. If I die I usually need a minute to decompress anyway.

But I'm really pleased that From was able to decrease load times so much and also delivered on making the loading screen better with item descriptions.

The next patch will have balance changes.

Coop is a big issue

The frame drops... eh, its never during important parts

Texture pop in doesnt effect gameplay at all

I'd say rank in order of importance

1 Co-op
2 Load Times
3 Frame Drops when traversing gates
4 Pop in

I'm surprised the frame pacing issue doesn't bother me more. I don't notice it much during normal play. If I'm trying to sprint through a level I see the slight jitter and occasional micro-hitch but it seems fine when you stop and fight.

Would the hybrid ssd (sshd?) performance differ between different PS4s, because of different installed applications? Or does the hybrid drive automagically arrange itself with respect to data usage so these performance gains are somewhat similar across different PS4's for the same hybrid drive model? Because I would assume PS4's OS wouldn't even know if it's dealing with a hybrid drive.

The firmware in the drive is designed to learn what files are most requested and store them in the SSD portion. So the more you play a particular game, and the more you play a particular area, the more it tries to optimize that data.

I've had no issues with the drive in question from the article, and i've very noticeable how much faster my ps4 is over all.

Laconic

Banned
I REALLY hoped they would be lower.

I can't see myself settling for those numbers.

Especially after the .5 second load times on PC Souls games.

I love to experiment with pushing boundaries, and trying out everything I can.

But even those reduced times are way too long to even consider playing this game in the same manner.

I REALLY hoped they would be lower.

I can't see myself settling for those numbers.

Especially after the .5 second load times on PC Souls games.

I love to experiment with pushing boundaries, and trying out everything I can.

But even those reduced times are way too long to even consider playing this game in the same manner.
Boo hoo

The wining really gets tiresome.

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

yes it was absolutely infuriating actually. 40 plus seconds is longer than most games and in a game where you frequently see the loading screen it sucked. Especially coming off of DS2: sotfs where load times on PC were like...5 seconds.

I think the greatest part of the fix is there is now item descriptions to look at while you wait.

I can't help but think this game got rushed out to be the big march release just in time for the end of sonys fiscal year. It's not so much that it's not a finished playable product (many people in the other thread about giving up on the game have finished it 3 times so it's definitely a finished product) but it seems to lack that final coat of polish that most bigger games get , perhaps a symptom of it not be a AAA budgeted title but being expected to fill the gaps caused by a lack of AAAA releases in March ?

Things like frame pacing issues and excessive load times and the occasional collision or pathfinding glitch on bosses and enemies feel like the type of thing that could have been cleaned up given more time. And look - it's been about 1 month and some of those issues have been sorted out. Not eliminated but at least sorted out and in a much more finished state.

I just can't help but think , had this game been granted a 4-6 month delay it would have launched in better shape. But, such is the way of gaming releases these days - BloodBorne was intended as a february release but I think The Order 1866 coming out on the 24th of that month gave From software a free 30 day delay. But , just imagine if this had come out in June ? No glitches instead of some glitches , frame pacing problems perhaps 99% cleaned up and load times of 10-15 seconds everywhere instead of 38-52 seconds. Even the loading screen being that high contrast image retention causing logo - it felt like a place holder. Something tossed in there to make sure the game got through certification rather than preforming it's intended purpose.

Alas, since it actually did come out last month , all we can really do now is hope they keep tuning it up post release. I feel like I'll have to feign surprise when "BloodBorne :The forgotten beast"* expansion DLC ships in october with tons of game fixes for the current version and there's also a physical "game of the year " re-release out in time for christmas :p

*note, I'm merely assuming both a name for DLC and that it exists based on the first and second dark souls recieving expansion dlcs with fancy names , there's always a chance from will simply move on to bloodborne 2.

I think a few more months wouldn't have made much difference. Bloodborne already had a longer development cycle than previous Souls games, and every title in the series launched with some issues. From just aren't particularly adept developers technically so you're never going to get AAA polish from these guys.

It's silly we still have to deal with massively long load screens this gen. I thought they had solved these sorts of issues so that you didn't actually have to wait around. It feels like Bloodborne went back in time in some respects. Can't even respawn the enemies at the lamp...

Played nearly 100 hours and not ran into any of these. Frame drops with fog gates? You don't have control anyway. Never not respawned after death. Had no issues with online since launch personally. Probably been involved with over 200 online sessions by now.

Sometimes I think the online stuff is just simply no one ringing a bell at that particular moment

Top Bottom