• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Bloodborne's 1.03 patch tested

Giever

I REALLY hoped they would be lower.

I can't see myself settling for those numbers.

Especially after the .5 second load times on PC Souls games.

I love to experiment with pushing boundaries, and trying out everything I can.

But even those reduced times are way too long to even consider playing this game in the same manner.

I doubt they are going to improve them much more, if at all, so hopefully you'll be able to adapt to them if you want to play the game.

virtualS

If you haven't played, you wouldn't get it. Those loading times are ridiculous for a Souls game or Souls style game where there are times you will die instantly over and over. And so 40-50 second loading every minute or every few minutes is inexcusable. No one would mind if it's just loading hubs or when you start a game. They promised better loading times and they delivered on that.

This. Why is common sense so hard for some?

I never found the original loading times to be a big deal. I beat the game already. I used the minute to reflect on my shortcomings and post on GAF.

I REALLY hoped they would be lower.

I can't see myself settling for those numbers.

Especially after the .5 second load times on PC Souls games.

I love to experiment with pushing boundaries, and trying out everything I can.

But even those reduced times are way too long to even consider playing this game in the same manner.

The only load times you really need to worry about are the respawn ones (since that's the load times you'll be dealing with 90% of the time), and the longest respawn load time now even on the stock PS4 hard drive is 17 seconds, with the rest being around 15 seconds.

That is a massive improvement over what they were. I barely have time to go pick up my controller after I've thrown it across the room now.

By all means though, go push your boundaries elsewhere if you can't handle the agonizing wait.

ship it

I didn't play Bloodborne, but let me get this straight...

...issues were occasional +40 seconds loadings?

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

And that was the problem?

OK

this really is the worst kind of post for this kind of topic

"I dont have any context for this BUT PEOPLE ARE WHINING?!??!?!"

and occasional...lol.

Grimløck;161272951 said:
there goes my sandwich-making time

Haha. I don't own the game but I have felt severely disinterested in the game after dying while playing it at a friends place twice. There was one time where he tried to show me a trick but accidently fell down a huge gap and died. He left the room, got himself and me a sandwich and we still waited for another 35 seconds or so.

I gotta say its great that they improved the load times. Some companies' usually don't patch flaws in their games, so its nice to see that they care to improve it. Also, SSD isn't a substantial improvement it seems so that's great. Id rather not drop another $700 in addition to the $450 ps4 just for a fractions worth of faster load times.

FranXico

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

Yes, it is a problem in a game where you die a lot.
But you would understand our frustration if you did play it.

The loading is great now. Anyone still holding off on buying/playing is kidding themselves.

I just farmed 5 million blood xp in an hour, by running the same section over and over and the loading was barely a few seconds each time.

I don't think the loading when you die is an issue. The real problem for me was when you want to level up or visit the Hunter's Dream to buy/repair something and have to sit through multiple loading screens in quick succession. This will alleviate that some.

Though I was more hoping for a fix to the frame-pacing. Hope that comes along soon.

The important thing is that the loading screens are no longer just a boring as shit logo. Having something to look at makes it more bearable.

TNH853

my loading time´s with the Seagate STBX2000401 2 TB

Central Yharnam: 32
Respawn: 15

Old Yharnam: 32
Respawn: 17

Really don't know how some people have 53 second loading times, longest I've had was maybe 25 seconds in Cathederal Ward.

The load times are what they are depending on hard drive. With a stock PS4 hard drive the load time was as much as that (for a respawn at old yharnam) until the patch. The patch cut that specific load time from 53 seconds down to 21 seconds. Again that's with the stock drive. If you put in your own your times are most likely better, particularly if you use an SSD.

FranXico

This patch was specifically addressing the load times and a few bugs/exploits.

They will probably work on improving overall performance next.

Hypron

The only load times you really need to worry about are the respawn ones (since that's the load times you'll be dealing with 90% of the time), and the longest respawn load time now even on the stock PS4 hard drive is 17 seconds, with the rest being around 15 seconds.

Not really no. If I want to go someplace other than where I'm at to quickly collect something I'm looking at more than 1 minute of loading. Double that if I want to come back after. Even just going back to the Hunter's dream to level up and come back to where you were will net about a minute of load time.

Even those respawn loading times are still terrible, especially if you've played the other souls games on PC where they were pretty much instantaneous.

Going back to DaS 2 SotFS after finishing Bloodborne was really refreshing on that aspect.

test_account

XP-39C²
Not really no. If I want to go someplace other than where I'm at to quickly collect something I'm looking at more than 1 minute of loading. Double that if I want to come back after. Even just going back to the Hunter's dream to level up and come back to where you were will net about a minute of load time.

Even those respawn loading times are still terrible, especially if you've played the other souls games on PC where they were pretty much instantaneous.

Going back to DaS 2 SotFS after finishing Bloodborne was really refreshing on that aspect.
I think that is the 10% that he was referring to. If you're playing through the game (especially on the first playthrough), you're not going to constantly be warping back and forth between areas.

I also dont see how ~15 second is terrible. Maybe it can be boring to wait, but terrible?

I never found the original loading times to be a big deal. I beat the game already. I used the minute to reflect on my shortcomings and post on GAF.
Lol. This. I love the improved load times, but my share play buddy used to joke that the old load screen was that hardcore THINK ABOUT IT screen. No love. No loading gfx or hints or any of that bullshit. Just cold dispassionate white title card on a black screen from the developers saying, "Stop. Think About it." "Still here."

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

1 minute loading screens are a thing from the psx era man, it's 2015
it's good that they fixed it, such long loading screens are dumb

Hypron

I think that is the 10% that he was referring to. If you're playing through the game (especially on the first playthrough), you're not going to constantly be warping back and forth between areas.

I also dont see how ~15 second is terrible. Maybe it can be boring to wait, but terrible?

Considering that's like a 300% increase compared to DaS 1/2 yeah it's pretty terrible. And it's definitely not 15 s across the board, the other day I was trying to kill the Shadow of Yharnam on my lvl 4 character (and died quite a few times in the process) and those loading times were closer to 30 seconds. They are long enough to make me feel like I'm wasting my time.

Sure it could be worse, the loadings could all be 1+ minute long but that would enter unplayable territory for me.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Playing games during the 32 bit era and so forth, loading times are nothing if less than a minute. Even certain games of today have similar loading times. It's no big deal overall but this is just icing.

LeleSocho

Banned
30+ seconds loading times sound like a thing from the psx era... hugely annoying having them in this day and age specially in a game where you can easily die 10 seconds after you spawned.

test_account

XP-39C²
Considering that's like a 300% increase compared to DaS 1/2 yeah it's pretty terrible. And it's definitely not 15 s across the board, the other day I was trying to kill the Shadow of Yharnam on my lvl 4 character (and died quite a few times in the process) and those loading times were closer to 30 seconds. They are long enough to make me feel like I'm wasting my time.

Sure it could be worse, the loadings could all be 1+ minute long but that would enter unplayable territory for me.
That probably depends on the platform. I played Dark Souls 1 and 2 for PS3 and it didnt have a 5 second loading every time i died, it was rather closer to 15 seconds or so i would guess, perhaps longer at certain places. It was probably faster compared to Bloodborne though, but not as much as ~300%, at least for me on PS3.

But fair enough. I can see that it can be boring to wait many times, i agree to that, but personally i just feel that words like 'terrible' and 'horrible' are quite strong words for situations that are mildly incovenience (at least in my opinion), that is why i mentioned it :)

And yeah, its true that the loading after dying isnt 15 seconds everywhere in Bloodborne. Forbidden Forrest respawning is close to 30 seconds on a stock PS4 harddrive for me as well.

I wonder if its possible for the developers to get the loading time down more. Bloodborne will remain a PS4 exclusive though, so people wouldnt have much other option if they want to play it.

Haha. I don't own the game but I have felt severely disinterested in the game after dying while playing it at a friends place twice. There was one time where he tried to show me a trick but accidently fell down a huge gap and died. He left the room, got himself and me a sandwich and we still waited for another 35 seconds or so.

I gotta say its great that they improved the load times. Some companies' usually don't patch flaws in their games, so its nice to see that they care to improve it. Also, SSD isn't a substantial improvement it seems so that's great. Id rather not drop another $700 in addition to the $450 ps4 just for a fractions worth of faster load times.

Lol this is such crap

Loading times never bothered me, would have rather had a frame pacing fix. Oh well. Good for people who were annoyed with the length of them

Giever

You can regularly get 1TB SSDs for ~$300 or less.

Top Bottom