• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Bloodborne's 1.03 patch tested

bombshell

What is "frame pacing" and why have I never heard this term before in my life ?

Correct frame pacing is making sure each frame stays on the screen the same amount of time. For a 30 fps game that time is 33.33 ms per frame.

So when you have a problem with frame pacing, like Bloodborne does, then some frames stay on the screen longer than they should and some stay on the screen less than they should. The result is judder.

Bloodborne still provides 30 unique frames per second most of the time, it just doesn't look like it does because of the frame pacing issues.

vpance

That's a substantial improvement. The long load times definitely discouraged me from playing the last few weeks.

I would love that too. But i don't know if this would be simple (level and weapon fortification). Maybe just add the enemy reset function or the world warping.

no leveling or weapon stuff but just going to other areas and buying consumable items. shit, the messengers are even sitting there at the lamp.

BLOODBORNE-LAMP-615x346.jpg

Lingitiz

I didn't play Bloodborne, but let me get this straight...

...issues were occasional +40 seconds loadings?

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

And that was the problem?

OK

It's a game that encourages multiple loads through teleportation and death, both of which require long loads. It adds up.

Curufinwe

Holy shit respawn times basically getting slashed by half.

Yeah, maybe you should play Bloodborne first before posting something in a condescending tone.

I played it for 70 hours and agree with him. Fix is nice, but it was never a huge deal.

Correct frame pacing is making sure each frame stays on the screen the same amount of time. For a 30 fps game that time is 33.33 ms per frame.

So when you have a problem with frame pacing, like Bloodborne does, then some frames stay on the screen longer than they should and some stay on the screen less than they should. The result is judder.

Bloodborne still provides 30 unique frames per second most of the time, it just doesn't look like it does because of the frame pacing issues.

I see. Thank you.

Shredderi

Some people. I never had an issue with it except when going back to level up or waiting to reattempt the final boss. Still awesome to hear

Yeah. You didn't have an issue with it. Some other people did. That is like a really easy concept to grasp. Some people don't like long loading times. I don't think that is in a realm of so unreasonable that it warrants a "some people" remark. I stopped playing when I heard the timetable for this patch and played Dark Souls 1 during that time. Now that the patch is here I can happily continue my playthrough of Bloodborne. Those load times, especially the respawn ones are a lot better now.

Zomba13

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

Average of about 40 second respawn time in a game series where "Prepare to die" is the tag line is a huuuuuuuge problem (hint: you will die a lot). Also when you have to load into an area to level up and then load back to continue your adventure is also a huge problem, especially in a game where that happens frequently.

EGM1966

I played it for 70 hours and agree with him. Fix is nice, but it was never a huge deal.

Nobody knows whether the majority of BB players thought the load times were a huge deal - putting you and those who weren't bothered in the minority - or whether majority where fine with it - putting those who find the load times a huge deal in the minority.

All that can be said is that certainly some people found them a huge deal and the patch brings a welcome fix for those people without altering the game notably for those who didn't care.

Nobody can claim it's a big deal or not in general based on their own singular view which was the issue with the comment (tone aside) as it was making a blanket statement as fact.

I think a few people don't understand how long a minute is... If you're one of those people, get a stop watch out and start it. Watch how long it takes to get to 60 seconds. Now imagine that 10 times in an hour play session.

I'd argue that 30+ seconds is a really long time in most games even.

WOW

What the hell was causing the long load times in the first place?

Just bugs?

Or did they rework how much of the game loads upon respawn? Like, did they make it so that just the immediate area loads first then as you enter the game the rest streams in?

I'm really curious what they did.

Wagram

I haven't opened my copy of BB yet as i've been working through my backlog but exactly how bad are the frame pace/frame rate issues? Dark Souls 2 on PS3 was an absolute travesty compared to the PC version. I'm not expecting a fluid 30fps ALL the time but here's hoping it's not 18 or so like DS2.

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

Yeah ? Fourty second load times would have been bad on the PlayStation 1. Let alone 3 consoles and over 20 years later in 2015.

Thats a Lego City Undercover load time every single time you die in a game....where you die often.

bombshell

I haven't opened my copy of BB yet as i've been working through my backlog but exactly how bad are the frame pace/frame rate issues? Dark Souls 2 on PS3 was an absolute travesty compared to the PC version. I'm not expecting a fluid 30fps ALL the time but here's hoping it's not 18 or so like DS2.

The game is providing 30 unique frames per second most of time. In that regard it's miles ahead of all 3 souls games on PS3.

However, the perception of the frame rate is impacted by the frame pacing issue. I'm not bothered by it at all, but I can see why some people are.

Nice.

I just started on Bloodborne and the loading times bogs it down for me the worse, and this is coming from a guy who died literally hundreds of time in Dark Souls on PC, and that wasn't much of a issue compared to few times I started dying in Bloodborne because it was snappy.

Shredderi

If you die 60 times on a normal playthrough then maybe you should update your gameplay instead ;)

Let's just get the actual load times slower via patch instead ;) Pretty ecstatic to start the game again today after a few weeks of not playing thanks to this patch.

Teknoman

The game is providing 30 unique frames per second most of time. In that regard it's miles ahead of all 3 souls games on PS3.

However, the perception of the frame rate is impacted by the frame pacing issue. It's not bothering me at all, but I can see why some people are.

What is frame pacing anyway? I've seen people mention framerate issues when playing in co-op outside of boss battles, but nothing odd outside of that.

Ape

Banned
cant believe people in here are arguing that those who wanted an optimized experience are some sort of whiners.

I know, right? There's nothing wrong with waiting for this update. Great improvement all around, but going from stock to hybrid is pretty dramatic.

Shredderi

cant believe people in here are arguing that those who wanted an optimized experience are some sort of whiners.

It is strange. I mean the improved loading times apply for them too! So it's only a plus all around. I played the game for 33h and then started a playthrough in DS1 on pc and the load times were practically nonexistant so after that I preferred to wait for this patch before starting to play BB again, and it seems to have paid off.

WOW

What the hell was causing the long load times in the first place?

Just bugs?

Or did they rework how much of the game loads upon respawn? Like, did they make it so that just the immediate area loads first then as you enter the game the rest streams in?

I'm really curious what they did.

Some From dev went out and explained the issue a few days ago, basically pre-patch they just completely reset every resource inside the loaded area you could say, this is the safest way to do it but also what caused longer loading times. So let's say you kill one enemy and break 2 boxes or some shit, then reload the area. Either by dying or a consumable that lets you respawn at the lantern you came from. Instead of (just how i understand, i might be wrong) simply resetting the enemy at it's original placement and resetting the state of the breakable boxes, it completely resets every enemy on the map and interactable object, or something similar of this. I guess they did this to save development time and hopefully patch it in the future, which they've done.

Might be wrong, but i think this is somewhat how it worked.

People will take any opportunity to brag about how gud they are at the game I guess. Nevermind that the game has many ways to make it easier or more difficult for yourself making number of deaths meaningless. You might not die much on your first playthrough but good luck with that on the hardest chalice dungeons.

hao chi

I never knew that respawning actually took longer than loading into an area. I'm glad the respawn times are so much faster now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why couldn't they have optimised loading times for the initial release. Should of been a priority from day one!
Because optimizing stuff isn't trivial work, and they have a game to release on a specific deadline? Their priority was to release a functional product, not a super-optimized one.

I mean the game could probably be even more optimized, hypothetically. But at some point you start sacrificing work time or perhaps graphical or even gameplay features in the name of optimization. It's always a trade-off.

zma1013

well if you die 60 times, that's an hour spent on a revival loading screen.

Think about poor Jeff Green. He died in DS2 about 1,000 times. That would be the Bloodborne loading pre-patch equivalent of around 11 hours of just looking at a load screen going by 40 second average if my math is correct.

Rival

Gold Member

Less than one minute?

ONE MINUTE?

OK

Do you still do most of your primary gaming on the Neo Geo CD or something?

Thank God. I just got this game, and I've been dying a shitload. I can't even kill the big dude with the cleaver yet that's in his own little area (maybe I'm supposed to attempt him later in the game?) and dying and seeing the bloodborne™ for a minute at a time is a real mood killer. I wish they had lore on the loading screens like in Dark Souls.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I wish they would fix the pop-ins. Objects near and far from my character randomly pop in and that shit is so distracting. I had poison shot at me in the forbidden woods area without seeing where it was coming from, only to find out that an enemy was only a few feet away and decided to appear after I got hit.

Mother fuck.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Thank God. I just got this game, and I've been dying a shitload. I can't even kill the big dude with the cleaver yet that's in his own little area (maybe I'm supposed to attempt him later in the game?) and dying and seeing the bloodborne™ for a minute at a time is a real mood killer. I wish they had lore on the loading screens like in Dark Souls.
He's just there to kill you early on. Drops nothing and there's nothing of note in the area.

Top Bottom