• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: "Dragon Quest 11 PS4/ PS4 Pro: JPRG Meets Unreal Engine 4"

By the time I ever get a 4k TV, the PS5 will be out lol. Either way, I am really looking forward to playing this. It's breathtaking.

sotojuan

IIRC they made the game in a fairly reasonable amount of time as well.

Not that KH3 and FFVII won’t be interesting from a technical standpoint but I imagine they’ll be very big outliers in the amount of dev time they have and what they’re trying to achieve. I’m more interested to see what other developers that are making RPGs that roughly match DQ11’s specification (standard 2-3 years of development, not open world, very reliant on art and not trying to display technical wizardry) will pull off with UE4, I think DQ11 has been a good sign overall.

To be fair, making a new DQ means reusing a lot of ideas, sounds, character designs, etc. While the games are different and awesome in their own way, you start making a new DQ game with a lot of assets and ideas. Making a new game from scratch, even with DQ's specs, might take longer.

Trago

Obviously it's a different dev team, but this speaks to how well KH3 and FFVIIR could turn out considering that both games are also being developed on UE4. UE4 has just been great for Japanese devs all around this generation.

Tyaren

I held my breath until the very end of the video to hear any mention of downsampling, yet nothing. Come on, DF, you guys know that's what a lot of us want to know. XD

It really feels as if lacking downsampling has become the norm instead of the exception.

900p as expected on the base PS4.
I have no idea how 3072x1728 Checkboarding compares with other UE4 games on PS4 Pro, but considering how demanding UE4 is, I don't think it's a bad result at all.

It'll be interesting to see how well the Switch version will run (assuming it's the PS4 version), both docked and undocked, and at what costs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, this is Pro with 1080p forced. It might actually be downsampling as it appears to still be using checkerboard rendering (the same blur in the grass is evident). It's much sharper than base PS4 at least.

yh1c.jpg

black070

OK, this is Pro with 1080p forced. It might actually be downsampling as it appears to still be using checkerboard rendering (the same blur in the grass is evident). It's much sharper than base PS4 at least.

yh1c.jpg

I haven't actually seen much footage of the game, but this looks great !

Aeana

To be fair, making a new DQ means reusing a lot of ideas, sounds, character designs, etc. While the games are different and awesome in their own way, you start making a new DQ game with a lot of assets and ideas. Making a new game from scratch, even with DQ's specs, might take longer.

This is a bizarre argument to make as a counterpoint to someone talking about a remake and a third entry in a franchise. It's also basically nonsense.

yh1c.jpg

I was going to ask about this, because I've been playing the game 100% on my PS4 Pro at both 4K and 1080p and I've noticed that weird blurring that you mentioned only in 4K mode even at 1080p.

Shin

Banned
John could you post a screen shot of both PS4 and PS4 Pro so we can see the difference.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

... but the same thing is true of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, both of which re-use lots of designs from game to game, only making new models for those designs?

yh1c.jpg

I've been on a self imposed blackout

o_O

This is looking fantastic.

dark10x

I was going to ask about this, because I've been playing the game 100% on my PS4 Pro at both 4K and 1080p and I've noticed that weird blurring that you mentioned only in 4K mode even at 1080p.
Yep, it's a checkerboard thing. The base PS4 does not exhibit the same blurring.

John could you post a screen shot of both PS4 and PS4 Pro so we can see the difference.

Not the same area but this is base PS4.

zh1c.jpg

...and here's the Pro shot at 1080p again

yh1c.jpg

Vashetti

Banned
No I know that. I mean they have to actually force the game to render at 1080P. If they just render it at 4K only it will automatically downsample. I assume John would mention if it had a different resolution on an HD screen.

It doesn't work like this.

Tyaren

yh1c.jpg

But you can't say for sure? Maybe it's full 1080p on HDTVs?
That would be something if it still were just 900p on the Pro using an HDTV, lol.

Shin

Banned
I'm no expert but it looks sharper on a 1080p TV on PS4 Pro, even with the color and slight area difference kept in mind.

dark10x

But you can't say for sure? Maybe it's full 1080p on HDTVs?
That would be something if it still were just 900p on the Pro using an HDTV. :/
I can say for sure that it's not 900p. If you set the system to 1080p it does not matter which display you're using.

If you compare the two shots I just posted it's clear that the Pro looks *MUCH* better image quality wise.

Plus, there are checkerboard artefacts when outputting at 1080p so it must be downscaling from 1728p rather than dropping the resolution.

Bebpo

Banned
Does the video go into the soul destroying motion blur that gives the entire game a look as if it was consistently ghosting similar to dark areas on the old 3ds?

I think the game looks gorgeous, but just like FFXV & 2.8's frame-pacing, SE's always gotta have that one tiny graphical thing that tries really hard to destroy their image quality. I actually find the motion blur here worse than XV's frame pacing.

Can't tell if it's because the game struggles with performance and motion blur covers it or if it's just an extremely badly implemented motion blur effect. I really hope they patch it, but that's about as likely as patching FFXV's frame pacing.

This is on a Pro at 1080p fwiw.

Aeana

Does the video go into the soul destroying motion blur that gives the entire game a look as if it was consistently ghosting similar to dark areas on the old 3ds?

I think the game looks gorgeous, but just like FFXV & 2.8's frame-pacing, SE's always gotta have that one tiny graphical thing that tries really hard to destroy their image quality. I actually find the motion blur here worse than XV's frame pacing.

Can't tell if it's because the game struggles with performance and motion blur covers it or if it's just an extremely badly implemented motion blur effect. I really hope they patch it, but that's about as likely as patching FFXV's frame pacing.

Apparently, it doesn't do that blurring on a regular PS4. It appears to be an artifact of the checkerboard rendering that's used on PS4 Pro.

dark10x

Yes, the "motion blur" you're talking about is a side effect of checkerboard rendering - their implementation SUCKS since checkerboarding done well will not exhibit those issues. They just did a poor job on that aspect.

That blur you dislike isn't present on a base PS4 as a result.

So, yeah...that's the story there.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Interesting... is DQXI's world similar to the scale of DQVIII or is it approached differently?

DQVIII's world is like a 3D version of its predecessors, which is an incredible feat during the PS2 era.

Vashetti

Banned
Sorry would you mind explaining it then?

Pro games that render above 1080p do not automatically downsample for 1080p displays. The developer has to specifically code in that downsampling, otherwise the game remains at 1080p or lower when played on a 1080p display.

Check my thread I linked where every game listed in there renders higher than 1080p but doesn't downsample when played on a 1080p display.

Bebpo

Banned
Yes, the "motion blur" you're talking about is a side effect of checkerboard rendering - their implementation SUCKS since checkerboarding done well will not exhibit those issues. They just did a poor job on that aspect.

Thanks. SE keeps messing up little tech things. I mean on one hand the textures in the game blow my mind and feel like Uncharted textured quality in a jrpg and the art direction, character models and animations are incredible. But arghhh I wish SE had better tech people. They went from the top tech in PS1/PS2 days to Crystal Tools and frame pacing and this. They should hire some tech people who know what they're doing.

I kinda wish I still had my base PS4 to try it on that and see if I'd prefer playing it on the base PS4 at 900p instead. Considering cell-shading should upscale nicely to 1080p, I probably would enjoy that version more.

Shin

Banned
Overall great video Dark10x, happy to see a 4K video of the game along with some break downs as to what one can expect.
How was the trip to Amsterdam BTW!?

Aeana

Thanks. SE keeps messing up little tech things. I mean on one hand the textures in the game blow my mind and feel like Uncharted textured quality in a jrpg and the art direction, character models and animations are incredible. But arghhh I wish SE had better tech people. They went from the top tech in PS1/PS2 days to Crystal Tools and frame pacing and this. They should hire some tech people who know what they're doing.

I kinda wish I still had my base PS4 to try it on that and see if I'd prefer playing it on the base PS4 at 900p instead. Considering cell-shading should upscale nicely to 1080p, I probably would enjoy that version more.

The "they" you're talking about are entirely different people though. SE didn't make this game internally, a third party dev called Orca did. I understand your sentiment, though.

This has to be fixable, right? I think I can wait until the West release if they fix this.

Noob question: is it difficult to check if the game downsamples? That piece of information is often missing in the DF videos. I'm wondering why? Just curious.

I hope they will compare it to the 3DS and Switch port later on, when the western release is available.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Day One for me when the NA version gets released next year. Can't wait!!! Haven't played a DQ game since VIII on PS2.

Vashetti

Banned
Noob question: is it difficult to check if the game downsamples? That piece of information is often missing in the DF videos. I'm wondering why? Just curious.

I hope they will compare it to the 3DS and Switch port later on, when the western release is available.

Hopefully Sony implements systemwide downsampling in 5.0 so we don't even need to ask anymore.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
900p as expected on the base PS4.
I have no idea how 3072x1728 Checkboarding compares with other UE4 games on PS4 Pro, but considering how demanding UE4 is, I don't think it's a bad result at all.

It'll be interesting to see how well the Switch version will run (assuming it's the PS4 version), both docked and undocked, and at what costs.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the highest res of any UE4 game released on PS4 Pro so far.

Great video, and god the art on the landscapes and cliffs is really blowing me away for some reason.

Also this video taught me that I really can barely tell the difference between any resolution after you get above 900p. I guess that's a good thing for me, means I don't need a 4k TV anytime soon.

Was gonna wait on this game but I think I'll grab it now.
The midi sound or lack of voice acting don't concern you Kagari?

It's a real concern for me to be honest. I like the DragonQuest games and don't mind the iconic themes and music but to have a great looking PS4 launch of a new game I really expected remixed music and orchestral recordings.

I'm just not sure I can do it, especially with the pretty decent voice acting in both Heroes 1 & 2....

Wereroku

The midi sound or lack of voice acting don't concern you Kagari?

It's a real concern for me to be honest. I like the DragonQuest games and don't mind the iconic themes and music but to have a great looking PS4 launch of a new game I really expected remixed music and orchestral recordings.

I'm just not sure I can do it, especially with the pretty decent voice acting in both Heroes 1 & 2....

The music really doesn't sound that bad from the streams I have watched. I really don't think they are going to get a better soundtrack until they get a new composer.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I didn't really think Japanese games were gonna benefit all that much from PS4 Pro, so I've held off... but damn those screens are tempting as hell.

The music really doesn't sound that bad from the streams I have watched. I really don't think they are going to get a better soundtrack until they get a new composer.
I may have to watch some more footage then. I watched some of the main character exploring a town and it made my ears bleed XD

Wereroku

I may have to watch some more footage then. I watched some of the main character exploring a town and it made my ears bleed XD

Oh I understand some of the songs seem worse then others and you may notice it more then I do but they aren't as distracting to me.

It's so beautiful!

Edit: Really hope the Switch version holds its own! :)

I think it really depends on which version the they release on the Switch. I think I would prefer to get a better version of the 3DS DQ instead of a downscaled ps4 version. Especially with the street pass features being so good.

jayu26

Great video, and god the art on the landscapes and cliffs is really blowing me away for some reason.

Also this video taught me that I really can barely tell the difference between any resolution after you get above 900p. I guess that's a good thing for me, means I don't need a 4k TV anytime soon.
If you are looking at 1080p screen (or god forbid tiny cell phone or tablet screen) then of course you will have hard time seeing the difference. Hell quality of panel affect your availability to see the difference because not all 1080 panels are same. If you really want to check if you can see the difference go to Bestbuy or a physical store with properly calibrated TVs side by side.

I am not saying that you won't come to same conclusion because HDR probably makes more difference for average person than 4K, but I would also advise against judging 4K TVs by looking at picture on a 1080p set.

Aeana

But the problem isn't with the compositions, it's with the sound quality. I mean, if your problem is with the compositions then you aren't talking about the same issue that other people are. This is honestly an issue that has only seemed to crop up recently, I'm not sure why Sugiyama suddenly cares so much about ticket sales that he'd compromise the quality of a game soundtrack. Maybe he's running out of money.

Top Bottom