• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: "Dragon Quest 11 PS4/ PS4 Pro: JPRG Meets Unreal Engine 4"

Wereroku

But the problem isn't with the compositions, it's with the sound quality. I mean, if your problem is with the compositions then you aren't talking about the same issue that other people are. This is honestly an issue that has only seemed to crop up recently, I'm not sure why Sugiyama suddenly cares so much about ticket sales that he'd compromise the quality of a game soundtrack. Maybe he's running out of money.

I thought the lack of orchestral has usually been linked back to him vetoing it. I just figured a new composer would probably have less power to veto things like that.

TalonJH

OK, this is Pro with 1080p forced. It might actually be downsampling as it appears to still be using checkerboard rendering (the same blur in the grass is evident). It's much sharper than base PS4 at least.

yh1c.jpg

I have to admit that I had begun to tire of the Toriyama art style(having grown up with it) but it really pops here. I absolutely love it. The game looks amazing and the art style really shines when in higher fidelity. I think I'll have to pick up DWXI for sure.

But the problem isn't with the compositions, it's with the sound quality. I mean, if your problem is with the compositions then you aren't talking about the same issue that other people are. This is honestly an issue that has only seemed to crop up recently, I'm not sure why Sugiyama suddenly cares so much about ticket sales that he'd compromise the quality of a game soundtrack. Maybe he's running out of money.
Exactly. I don't see the point in having such high quality visuals then such low quality sound personally.

Aeana

Exactly. I don't see the point in having such high quality visuals then such low quality sound personally.
The point is just that Sugiyama sucks and he wants people to have a reason to see his live concerts.

With that said, the sound quality is something you definitely get used to and if anyone let it stop them from playing the game, that would be a massive shame. The game is absolutely incredible.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Pro bump to 1728p is fantastic. The foliage showing artifacting is a shame but I'll take the huge resolution boost and be real happy about it.

Playing DQ8 on an emulator at higher resolution brings the amazing artwork to a whole another level so higher resolutions are greatly appreciated.

I was worried that like Tekken, another Japanese UE4 title, the Pro might only see a meager bump to native 1080p.

Shin-Ra

Texture resolution looks really inconsistent, even on characters. The UI looks partially rendered in 4K too, with things like text, the minimap background and player arrow full sharpness but window borders and other icons upscaled.

I almost wish the game didn't support downsampling for 1080p so there was just a solid, native 1080p mode without the dodgy checkerboarding.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Jesus christ, the Pro's resolution bump is way bigger than expected relative to PS4 base. When i heard "900p" on base machine, i expected John to say they just made Pro 1080p and called it a day, but apparently it went to 3K!? That's extremely beyond 1080p, and even significantly beyond 1440p

*EDIT*

Well, 3K checkerboarded...that's still a significant upgrade on 1080p and a notable one on 1440p, even if its not the naive 3K res. CB really is something else to deliver these kinds of results

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Does Japanese version have English subtitles? I want to play this game NOW.
Nope. It's also text only. No voice over.

I'd recommend waiting. There's plenty of tasks that are specified in the text and not reading it would make the game more frustrating, I'd imagine.

nOoblet16

It's such a great thing that japanese devs are getting so much mileage out of UE4. Last gen was horrible for Japanese studios because of their archaic development methods leading to complicated engines which would result in numerous technical issues and prolonged development times. A far cry from their glory days during the PS2 era when they did better technologically than western developers on an average.

But I guess we can say that with them jumping onto third party engines like UE4 and building upon that they can focus on the game with a much superior workflow.

Wait, the game has no voice acting at all? Even japanese?

dark10x

Wait, the game has no voice acting at all? Even japanese?
Yep. Was discussed plenty of times before release, though, so no big surprise.

It works for me, though, as it lends it an old school vibe. With the facial expressions and reliance on text, I'm kind of reminded of stuff like Skies of Arcade in a way.

nOoblet16

Yep. Was discussed plenty of times before release, though, so no big surprise.

It works for me, though, as it lends it an old school vibe. With the facial expressions and reliance on text, I'm kind of reminded of stuff like Skies of Arcade in a way.

Oh I see, I haven't been following the game as I knew it wasn't getting launched out here until next year.

dark10x

Oh I see, I haven't been following the game as I knew it wasn't getting launched out here until next year.
I wouldn't bet on this but...the Japanese version of DQ8 also lacks voice acting AND uses sequenced audio. The Western release, however, added the orchestral soundtrack and voice acting.

I've only played the JP version, though, and I feel like I missed out.

I'm not sure DQ is popular enough in the West to warrant that effort again, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ōkami;245386380 said:
I've played over 50 hours on the original PS4, from the looks of it John played the opening hours.

The game is not locked at 30fps, there are drops, and they're noticeable, not a huge problem, but they're there.

Playing on the Pro and a 4K TV, I didn't notice any drops until I got into the first dungeon/temple about 5 hours in.

I wouldn't bet on this but...the Japanese version of DQ8 also lacks voice acting AND uses sequenced audio. The Western release, however, added the orchestral soundtrack and voice acting.

I'm not sure DQ is popular enough in the West to warrant that effort again, though.

The original PS2 version, at least. The 3DS re-release had Japanese voice acting and the orchestral soundtrack added.

3DS remakes went in the opposite direction and are much more recent examples.

dark10x

Ōkami;245386380 said:
I've played over 50 hours on the original PS4, from the looks of it John played the opening hours.

The game is not locked at 30fps, there are drops, and they're noticeable, not a huge problem, but they're there.
Yeah, I've played about 8 hours but only captured from the earlier sections. I played mostly on Pro as well. That's always the issue with RPGs, unfortunately.

dark10x

He didn't say that. He thinks it might be but it could also only be the difference between rendering at 900p or 1080p.
Changed my mind. I think it's downsampling since it exhibits checkerboard artefacts in 1080p mode while base does not.

Bebpo

Banned
Nope. It was a victim of both Horii and company wanting the game out quickly and the game's script going through a lot of fine tuning throughout development.

If no voice acting was a factor in the very reasonable development & release time then I'd say it was totally worth it and give me more games with no VA and a 2 year dev cycle instead of 4 years like some other jrpgs.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Man this game looks great, great job Orca.

Edit:

btw. For Switch they are probably targeting 720/30 and using a even more stylized graphic setup so they get away with less detailed textures. Hell i could even see them go full cell shading for the characters. Well we will see it soon...expecting something between 3DS 3D Mode and PS4 base mode.

I think it really depends on which version the they release on the Switch. I think I would prefer to get a better version of the 3DS DQ instead of a downscaled ps4 version. Especially with the street pass features being so good.

But the Switch doesn't have Streetpass...

Neoweee

The game looks awesome, and I'll definitely be grabbing a 4K TV by the time this comes out here (probably holiday 2018?).

I'm more bothered by the combat sound effects than I am the soundtrack quality or the lack of voice acting. It seems an even more narrow aim at a level of nostalgia for the older games that essentially doesn't exist in the West.

IMO, priority of things to fix for the Western release is Sound Effects > Soundtrack > Voice acting. Even a more modern sound font would be an improvement for the music.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes, the "motion blur" you're talking about is a side effect of checkerboard rendering - their implementation SUCKS since checkerboarding done well will not exhibit those issues. They just did a poor job on that aspect.

That blur you dislike isn't present on a base PS4 as a result.

So, yeah...that's the story there.

i wonder if they can patch their CB implementation before western launch

Aeana

The game looks awesome, and I'll definitely be grabbing a 4K TV by the time this comes out here (probably holiday 2018?).

I'm more bothered by the combat sound effects than I am the soundtrack quality or the lack of voice acting. It seems an even more narrow aim at a level of nostalgia for the older games that essentially doesn't exist in the West.

IMO, priority of things to fix for the Western release is Sound Effects > Soundtrack > Voice acting. Even a more modern sound font would be an improvement for the music.
I just don't get the complaints with the sound effects. They removed them in the NA version of DQ8, but they have left them in every single other DQ release since, so I doubt they'll make a change now. But I don't get why they would have to. What upsets you so much about them?

Asd202

I still hope SE will make an orchestral soundtrack for Western version. I will be really disappointed if it doesn't happen as I loved the DQVIII one.

Wereroku

But the Switch doesn't have Streetpass...

Sorry I don't mean the 3DS feature I mean the concept of Streetpass. Switches can already communicate with each other locally so they could use the feature through the game itself. Basically the 3DS version sounds so cool I would rather get a better version of that then a downgraded PS4 version.

Neoweee

I just don't get the complaints with the sound effects. They removed them in the NA version of DQ8, but they have left them in every single other DQ release since, so I doubt they'll make a change now. But I don't get why they would have to. What upsets you so much about them?

They seem so out of place of place to me. They work some of the time, but I have no idea what the weird buzzing when something attacks is supposed to be. It is interspersed between "normal" sounding effects and creates a very jarring contrast. I don't get what they are supposed to add, other than an appeal to nostalgia that exists only in minuscule numbers outside of Japan.

I'd recommend waiting. There's plenty of tasks that are specified in the text and not reading it would make the game more frustrating, I'd imagine.

Oh I didn't know this was text only. Frankly I don't care if there are no voice overs. Zelda BOTW had very little voice overs and it's the best game I have ever played. I will wait for Western release.

The art style is really clean ... i really like it .
Then i hear that the loading times are quick and that the areas are huge ...and i'm quite happy with the current results.

How long is the game anyway ? 80+ hours ?The work done seems quite impressive indeed

Aeana

They seem so out of place of place to me. They work some of the time, but I have no idea what the weird buzzing when something attacks is supposed to be. It is interspersed between "normal" sounding effects and creates a very jarring contrast. I don't get what they are supposed to add, other than an appeal to nostalgia that exists only in minuscule numbers outside of Japan.
It's part of the series's identity. Not everything is specifically an appeal to nostalgia -- some things are because they're part of what makes it feel like Dragon Quest. You know, like goombas in Mario? You could claim they include them for nostalgia, or you could just say that's part of what makes Mario.

silva1991

OK, this is Pro with 1080p forced. It might actually be downsampling as it appears to still be using checkerboard rendering (the same blur in the grass is evident). It's much sharper than base PS4 at least.

yh1c.jpg

PS4 version is magical. Can't wait for it.

Pls don't come out so close to NNK2 or KH3.

720p docked - 540p portable is my guess.
They could go that way, but they could also match 900p or even go 1080p, but with lower graphical fidelity and lower framerate (hope not, since game is already 30fps). This is what devs did for Lego city undercover.

Will be very interesting ti see how a switch port turns out. I bet they'll do some kind of adaptive resolution where it will drop 90% in certain taxing situations. Seems like that's the thing now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So 900p on base PS4.

I wonder what it'll be on Switch then.

They can probably manage same resolution by reducing graphical complexity. Either way I don't think the draw distance and effects will be the same level as PS4.

Top Bottom