• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: "Dragon Quest 11 PS4/ PS4 Pro: JPRG Meets Unreal Engine 4"

I had no idea DQ8 didn't have VO in Japan. That makes me very hopeful we'll get some for DQ11 here in the West. Now to decide if I want this on PS4 Pro or Switch...

I had no idea DQ8 didn't have VO in Japan. That makes me very hopeful we'll get some for DQ11 here in the West. Now to decide if I want this on PS4 Pro or Switch...

I would go for the one it actually exists on at the moment. I am hoping by the time it is localized that I will be able to find a decent deal on a PS4 Pro.

If you are looking at 1080p screen (or god forbid tiny cell phone or tablet screen) then of course you will have hard time seeing the difference. Hell quality of panel affect your availability to see the difference because not all 1080 panels are same. If you really want to check if you can see the difference go to Bestbuy or a physical store with properly calibrated TVs side by side.

I am not saying that you won't come to same conclusion because HDR probably makes more difference for average person than 4K, but I would also advise against judging 4K TVs by looking at picture on a 1080p set.

I dunno, I watched it on my 3200x1800 laptop screen and really didn't notice a difference between the PS4 and Pro footage (beyond the blurring foliage in the PS4Pro footage). I just don't have a great eye for resolution I guess. Not that that's a common opinion in DF threads but I thought it was worth sharing that the game looks equally gorgeous on both platforms.

Now, 3DS resolution I can quite easily recognize and while the 2D mode looks really nice I'm not thrilled by the 3D mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I dunno, I watched it on my 3200x1800 laptop screen and really didn't notice a difference between the PS4 and Pro footage (beyond the blurring foliage in the PS4Pro footage). I just don't have a great eye for resolution I guess. Not that that's a common opinion in DF threads but I thought it was worth sharing that the game looks equally gorgeous on both platforms.

Now, 3DS resolution I can quite easily recognize and while the 2D mode looks really nice I'm not thrilled by the 3D mode.
How large is the screen?

That's kind of the thing when you start dealing with super high resolutions - at smaller sizes, lower resolutions can still hold up really well. The 900p in this game is better than average.

On my 4K TV, however, the difference was extremely evident.

MTC100

Banned
looks nice, too bad PS4 isn't pushing it to 1080p though.

I truly wonder how the Switch version will run, should be UE4 as well, seeing Yoshi is also an UE4 title, I guess we can only expect 720p then :/

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Man, this game is looking gorgeous!!! I never played DQ game, is this series similar to Persona or Final Fantasy that I don't need to play the pervious game?

Also, My PS2 is no longer plugged in, if i want to play DQ8, is the 3DS version is best way possible? I heard the game looks really bad on 3DS. Is DQ8 available on PS3's PSN store as classic PS2 like Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga?

wmlk

Dammit man, just give this game a symphony. I realize the chances are super low with localizations removing the orchestral soundtrack but it would be super disappointing if this game fails to catch on out west because of the audio department.

I'm in love....

But Square isn't doing the right thing. This game should be available this holiday season. Not next year.

It's just text. Give me a Google translator version.

I want this so badly!!!!

So what's the actual -native- resolution on the PS4 Pro?

Half of what they said.

3072x1728 checkerboarded may be 1536x1728 or 3072x864 native pixels.

But that's not what you are going to see. The effect, despite the blur, is very close to a native 1728p image.

I'm convinced with the future of the Pro content using this technology to achieve higher pixel quality image combined with good anti aliasing.

Not to mention, higher frame rate reduces the amount of blur or ghost artifacts created by checkerboard rendering (last pixel recreated stays less time on screen creating less artifacts).

For 60 fps games like Call of Duty this technique does an amazing job.

Am I the only one who hears some kind of flutter/stutter in John's voice over? I swear I hear it in all of his videos and I don't think it's anything on my end.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Vashetti said:
The developer has to specifically code in that downsampling, otherwise the game remains at 1080p or lower when played on a 1080p display.
No that's upside down.
For a game to render 1080p native (not downsampled) someone has to support a 1080p native codepath(obviously - that's usually there by default, because a game is a PS4 game, after all).
Down/upsampling is done automatically by the system on resulting buffers that don't match Display-output resolution.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Am I the only one who hears some kind of flutter/stutter in John's voice over? I swear I hear it in all of his videos and I don't think it's anything on my end.
No, I'm trying to figure it out. Using high quality settings but it gets amplified when uploading to YouTube. Not sure what's up with it.

They could go that way, but they could also match 900p or even go 1080p, but with lower graphical fidelity and lower framerate (hope not, since game is already 30fps). This is what devs did for Lego city undercover.

Will be very interesting ti see how a switch port turns out. I bet they'll do some kind of adaptive resolution where it will drop 90% in certain taxing situations. Seems like that's the thing now.

It's gonna be 720p AND lower grahical fidelity.

alt27

I actually hope it's a hi-res port of the 3DS version instead of a toned-down PS4 version

Interesting , I have not seen the 3ds version yet but as the wife hogs the houses switch , it may be a double purchase with ps4. suppose it all depends on release dates

killatopak

I'm pretty sure it's just gonna be a downgraded ps4 version. It's UE4 and no company wants to spend EVEN MORE money on a 3rd version.

what's the difference when you're only increasing res from 3DS or decreasing res from PS4? It's not like you're making entirely new assets. 3DS to Switch also guarantees native res and stable 30fps. You're likely gonna see a Snakepass situation if it's the PS4 version you're porting.

Personally I'd love a 3DS to Switch port as I prefer the DQ8 style of it.

Edit: Maybe the engine will be the difference of cost? I dunno.
Does this apply for the demo too?
wait there's a demo?!

Mifec

what's the difference when you're only increasing res from 3DS or decreasing res from PS4? It's not like you're making entirely new assets. 3DS to Switch also guarantees native res and stable 30fps. You're likely gonna see a Snakepass situation if it's the PS4 version you're porting.

Personally I'd love a 3DS to Switch port as I prefer the DQ8 style of it.

Edit: Maybe the engine will be the difference of cost? I dunno.

wait there's a demo?!

The ease of use for UE4 is what I was thinking of. Since I have no idea what the 3DS version uses.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Truly. :/

Also, I guess with this the Switch version will be 720p.

I honestly don't care. If it means runs rock solid frame rate then I take that over resolution any day. Would u rather it would run 1080p but with terrible frame rate.

Shifty

Damn, that looks gorgeous. Really like what they did with the outline shader.

Lack of voice acting gives me pause though, it was so good in DQ8.

Kanann

dark10x, do you have guts to test DQX in PS4 and PS4 pro? LOL

DQX I think is native 4k (60fps) in PC, I wanna know PS4 pro can pull that or not.

Justinh

Damn, game looks pretty... uh, pretty. I was planning on just getting it for 3DS, but maybe I'll pick it up on PS4, too.

Top Bottom