• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC/PS4/XB1)

Jomjom

Banned
I dont think that we will such drastic improvements with this consoles... Problems will probably start in 2017 with them.

PS4 games wont be 1080p anymore for the most part etc...

Don't see this happening at all. Will Xbox One games be at 720p then? No way.

Helznicht

That's also a terrible worst case type scenario, and an image with poor compression. There are literally dozens of screenshots of the console versions in the screenshots thread that you could use for a non jaded account.

Also, kinda wish I got the PC version now (though I may need a new GPU, GTX 570 SSC here). I saw comparisons between Ultra and PS4 and there was very little in it, but often others on these forums, have tweaked the ini files to get better results than the game offers in options. I know not everyone will tinker with these, but I'm the type of gamer who would. Also, the muted colour palette mod is amazing.

Not really. The pc version at 1080p has the same problem in any scene where you have some view distance, blurry ass foliage, even with qualify set to ultra. Since the foliage detail is done with textures and not geometry, it suffers under low resolution situations. I could run this on my pc at 60fps at 1080p, but instead chose 30fps at 1440, foliage is a mess otherwise.

sinnergy

Fired up the PS4 version, and having read this thread and the other thread the last couple of weeks, prepared for the worst, man this game looks good,, one of the best open world games I have seen.

Hyperbole, much, people.

Fired up the PS4 version, and having read this thread and the other thread the last couple of weeks, prepared for the worst, man this game looks good,, one of the best open world games I have seen.

Hyperbole, much, people.

Play a little longer and you'll see what people are talking about.

Ishida

Banned
Play a little longer and you'll see what people are talking about.

I'm at the point where I have to find
the Baron's wife and daughter
. PS4 version. Have yet to find any issues besides the long loading times when I'm killed. What exactly should I be looking for?

Yeah, because that has never happened in any console generation before.

I swear some people have terrible memory...

Past generations are different from now. The tricks that developers are talking about would only take you but so far. For example, increasing shadow draw distance as in that comparison screenshot. Do you honestly think there will be leaps with regard to this on consoles (i.e will they suddenly be able to render shadows from every foliage displayed on screen with the same hardware)? Better yet, ask yourself if you think somehow by the end of this generation that W4 on consoles will have all the features the PC has on W3 (including Hairworks) and still maintain a target 30 FPS?

Why do people still think this? Because it's "easy" (whatever that means, coding is a challenge either way) or "off the shelf" doesn't mean there won't be new ways to get more out of a closed system.

I agree with this. But I think a lot of folks think that they'll see "leaps" over what is already shown. In other words, high end PC level graphics by the end of this generation. I can see some tricks to get more out of the hardware, but only in a limited scope. I don't see suddenly very large textures being used (i.e. 2k or 4k) along with higher filtering, with dynamic GI and fully furred characters running at 30fps on consoles.

Also, you really have to take a devs words with a grain of salt these days. They have shown to do anything or say anything to keep their marketing hype up for sales. I love CDPR, but I can't trust what any dev says anymore because of what's been released compared to initial footage.

Ishida

Banned
Past generations are different from now. The tricks that developers are talking about would only take you but so far. For example, increasing shadow draw distance as in that comparison screenshot. Do you honestly think there will be leaps with regard to this on consoles (i.e will they suddenly be able to render shadows from every foliage displayed on screen with the same hardware)? Better yet, ask yourself if you think somehow by the end of this generation that W4 on consoles will have all the features the PC has on W3 (including Hairworks) and still maintain a target 30 FPS?

I expect the same visual leap we've always had on previous generations. Developers, as always, will optimize their engines and techniques, and will learn more ways to use the hardware efficiently.

ViciousDS

Banned
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing until I got out of the starter area. Framerate took a nose dive in spots

For some odd reason though the drops aren't pissing me of like unity was. Not sure if it's just the scope of the game, frame rate is massively better than unity or just because it's the most engaging RPG I've played in years. It's been very noticeable but not distracting from the overall experience

So yeah, only played the starting area as well on PS4 which indeed felt pretty good.

Later on get's bad huh?

It was mostly when the rain/environment effects kicked in. Not sure why, but the starter area wasn't too bad when those things happened, but it was a lot worse in the next area I went to. Still an awesome game, so maybe they can fix those issues

For some odd reason though the drops aren't pissing me of like unity was. Not sure if it's just the scope of the game, frame rate is massively better than unity or just because it's the most engaging RPG I've played in years. It's been very noticeable but not distracting from the overall experience

It's a shame because the game is so fun. I wish I could see it running at 60 frames *drools*

ViciousDS

Banned
It's a shame because the game is so fun. I wish I could see it running at 60 frames *drools*

I have a GTX970 and can run the fame 60fps no probs. But I'm always chatting with my buddies and having a good time. Plus I can't lug my 60 pound computer everywhere as easily as my PS4

I expect the same visual leap we've always had on previous generations. Developers, as always, will optimize their engines and techniques, and will learn more ways to use the hardware efficiently.

Yea, but you didn't really answer my question specifically...

eot

Banned
213868-almanac-michael-bay-found-footage-time-travel-back-to-the-future-2-old-biff-tannen.jpg

Seriously thou
River bank shot
XlvIPBg.jpg

I took that a different way. It reminds me of that godforsaken swamp in TW1.

JoduanER2

Well i for one im not dissapointed with the graphics (they are awesome) on PS4 but with the performance, it really sucks and it should be resolve as soon as possible because it butchers and otherwise impressive looking game.

UnrealEck

Lots of psuedo game developers telling us about optimisation in the most vague ways possible. That magic word gets dragged around so much.

Ishida

Banned
Lots of psuedo game developers telling us about optimisation in the most vague ways possible. That magic word gets dragged around so much.

I agree.

Also lots of pseudo game developers telling us that there's no way that coding/developing visual technologies on consoles can get better.

Yeah optimization it's over. Don't expect anything people, graphic can't improve without a Titan. Jeez again this stupid hyperbole. Yeah probably the gap with the pc will be larger than before but doesn't means graphic will not improve furthermore on console. Past generation games like this were almost impossible for the console. Today memory and bandwith at least are enough.

Optimization in most cases with this consoles means turning off graphical effects...

Sry but its hyperbole to me to expect a jump in graphical quality like that we got last generation.
Its not the same anymore.

Sakura

If what CDPR said about the original reveal bring what they were developing is true makes you wonder why they didn't just tone back the assets for console release and let the PC version shine as truly superior (if you have the hardware). I mean why the hell not?

Well, I mean for some things that isn't really realistic. Textures sure, you can have a higher resolution base that is usable on the PC version, but just scaled down on the console version. But you aren't going to have for example 2 sets of geometry for everything, more complex on PC and less complex on console. Just would be too much extra work and time.

I think this new obsession over technical performance is a good thing. It empowers gamers to make good decisions. But I feel like we're not very introspective here. We never had full HD games that ran at full framerate at all the time across all titles always. This one runs pretty damn good.
We must be playing two different games then. Raining in the city? Game chugs. In the bogs? Same story, and that's without it even raining, where it starts to get worse. Like I said earlier in the thread, I fought a boss the other day and the game was literally in the single digits for a portion of the fight, no joke. 1 on 1 fight. It shouldn't run like shit.
Is it an ugly game? No. Is it cool when the wind is blowing and the trees are swaying? Yes.
But it's not visually impressive. When I got Halo on the original Xbox, I would stand there and look at the grass because it just looked so damn good.
This game? It looks OK. And it doesn't run that well.
I don't think I'm being unreasonable saying I expected a bit better, or at least a solid framerate.

I dont think that we will such drastic improvements with this consoles... Problems will probably start in 2017 with them.

PS4 games wont be 1080p anymore for the most part etc...
I don't know about that.
If most PS4 games weren't 1080p, then most XBO games would probably be 720p, and I just don't really see that happening.

Zil33184

Optimization in most cases with this consoles means turning off graphical effects...

Sry but its hyperbole to me to expect a jump in graphical quality like that we got last generation.

What's the basis for this? Graphical performance on consoles has always improved over time based on a clear historical trend. This occurs by targeting a single spec and learning its ins and outs.

I could see huge gains this gen purely from better multithreading without having to get into async compute and huma.

I agree.

Also lots of pseudo game developers telling us that there's no way that coding/developing visual technologies on consoles can get better.

Where do you see that? I specifically said it's very unlikely to see a game engine have coding tricks for consoles to get visuals that rival highend PCs.. and specifically the next Witcher game. Case in point, CDPR had to choose between two engines. They chose the less-demanding route for the console's sake. Will they suddenly choose the more demanding route with the W4? What would have changed coding wise to warrant such a gigantic leap? It just doesn't make sense to assume that kind of fidelity change with the hardware we have.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

Don't agree with this one bit. We'll see the best of PS4 with first party titles that optimise specific to this platform and in particular compute optimisations.

I could see huge gains this gen purely from better multithreading without having to get into async compute and huma.

Multithreading has it's limits. I also don't think every developer has yet to master the advancements of multithreading. We are talking companies that's been around for several generations here. Not startup companies where there are programmers just out of college.

Javin98

Banned
This I'm not seeing for the future at all. If there is any good evidence that supports my claim, it's definitely W3. There just isn't enough power in the consoles to make the visual fidelity "substantially better" in the future and still maintain a good 30fps target. Things like draw distance, shadow resolution, HBAO, higher res textures, displacements, etc.. just won't show their heads in future games. Maybe 1 of those could be implemented but I'm not seeing all of them -- which would be required to make the image fidelity "substantial".
What makes you think it's not possible? As Sony and Microsoft reduce the RAM overhead for OS, there will be more RAM available for higher res textures, for instance. I also expect AF to get better as the gen progresses. As for AO, HBAO may not be the standard AO solution for these consoles, but developers may develop new AO solutions that are cheap but look great. Take SSBC in FC4 for example. It looks much better than SSAO but costs about the same (according to the Nvidia tweak guide). Draw distance will definitely be improved as the gen progresses. Dying Light on PS4 did this via a patch with no performance hit.

Did you miss the Borderlands Handsome Collection DF updated thread? The game got a performance boost of 15-20 FPS from a patch without a visual downgrade.

StevieP

Banned
What makes you think it's not possible? As Sony and Microsoft reduce the RAM overhead for OS, there will be more RAM available for higher res textures, for instance. I also expect AF to get better as the gen progresses. As for AO, HBAO may not be the standard AO solution for these consoles, but developers may develop new AO solutions that are cheap but look great. Take SSBC in FC4 for example. It looks much better than SSAO but costs about the same (according to the Nvidia tweak guide). Draw distance will definitely be improved as the gen progresses. Dying Light on PS4 did this via a patch with no performance hit.

Did you miss the Borderlands Handsome Collection DF updated thread? The game got a performance boost of 15-20 FPS from a patch without a visual downgrade.

The game was pushed out the door unfinished to meet the fiscal year end. It was finally fixed to the condition it should have been on release, given the hardware. Man this is going to be a rough generation for a lot of folks

On Demand

Banned
I agree with this. But I think a lot of folks think that they'll see "leaps" over what is already shown. In other words, high end PC level graphics by the end of this generation. I can see some tricks to get more out of the hardware, but only in a limited scope. I don't see suddenly very large textures being used (i.e. 2k or 4k) along with higher filtering, with dynamic GI and fully furred characters running at 30fps on consoles.

Also, you really have to take a devs words with a grain of salt these days. They have shown to do anything or say anything to keep their marketing hype up for sales. I love CDPR, but I can't trust what any dev says anymore because of what's been released compared to initial footage.

Who said anything about high end PC graphics or 4K textures? You're exaggerating my point. There will be performance improvements like last generation. That's it. Games out now for PS3 and 360 look significantly better than games from 2005/6.

Yes developers will say anything for marketing and hype, but in this case we have past history to look at as proof to see this is what naturally happens. What everybody else is doing who doubts this is just making assumptions based of the hardware being "easier to code on" than before.

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree with you for once. I have the game on PC but it looks great on PS4. Not sure what people expect out of these consoles, but they're not going to produce graphics that high end PCs can put out. Just be happy you have the game and it looks good.

lets be honest ps4 exclusives like the order, drive club, kill zone, and SS look impressive even by PC standards because they are tailored to make the best use of the ps4. witcher 3 if different though, it's a huge open world mutiplatform game thats very demanding, with more detail then of those games, as well a dynamic day/night and weather cycle, with dynamic lighting and shadows, now of course the game looks nice in pics, but while playing it looks downright amazing to me, the scale the lighting the detail, and beautiful world, along with great looking charcter models really shine. its still very early this gen adn the witcher 3 is clearly nextgen when compared to lastgen consoles open world games

jwM8ukl.jpg

3Cp1O1B.jpg

gi0Y0x6.jpg

the game looks really nice in pics, but the pics don't even do it justice cause in motion it looks much better.

credit goes to TGO for the nice pics from the ps4 version.

DOWN

Banned
I think people are conflating art and graphics. People keep posting pictures to try and show the game in a better light on PS4, where the assets look no better graphically.

Javin98

Banned
The game was pushed out the door unfinished to meet the fiscal year end. It was finally fixed to the condition it should have been on release, given the hardware. Man this is going to be a rough generation for a lot of folks
My point is performance can be improved through more efficient codes and techniques, not just through visual downgrades. And thanks for the last statement, but I'm loving this gen so far and can't wait to get on board. It's much more enjoyable if you don't live in platform wars.

But, this doesn't look good at all. The buildings, the ground, it looks terrible.
Sure it's cool that there are a bunch of trees or whatever, but in terms of graphics I don't see what is so good about these pics.

What looks better, but isn't a corridor with baked lighting?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
But, this doesn't look good at all. The buildings, the ground, it looks terrible.
Sure it's cool that there are a bunch of trees or whatever, but in terms of graphics I don't see what is so good about these pics.
Have you played the game?
I mean I see your point from a "still capture" prospective but when in motion it's a different story and makes a big difference, shadows moving as the trees sway, light beams cutting through the smallest cracks of the forest as the fog slowly shifts across the landscape, it's a generational leap difference that is not represented in captures.
And those captures don't really do it justice though tbh, they both softer and kinda compressed to how it actually looks.

Barakov

I think I'll wait till I get a new PC before I play it. The difference between the consoles and PC is night and day.

Would you mind taking a PC screenshot of the same spot? Just to compare.

If you tell people where that spot is. Or just go into the PC screenshot thread. There's plenty of screens of the PC version there.
I don't have the game, though interested in it. I mean, if someone is saying a certain screenshot is horrible, they should at least have something available to prove it.

Sakura

What looks better, but isn't a corridor with baked lighting?
?
Do I need to find another open world game with dynamic lighting on the PS4 in order to say I don't think Witcher 3 looks that good visually?
I don't care if it's the biggest open world game known to man. I'm not going to look at the ground and go, actually this ground looks amazing, because the game is open world. No, it doesn't look that great. I might excuse poor visuals of course, depending on the nature of the game, but I am not going to think something looks great when it doesn't just because it's open world.
The interior areas look poor. Insides of some houses look like they could be in Skyrim. The ground all around looks poor. Some building structures look pretty simple in geometry. I like that there is a lot of foliage, and that the character models look alright, but that's it.
Poor performance on top of that, just doesn't seem very impressive.
Have you played the game?
I mean I see your point from a "still capture" prospective but when in motion it's a different story and makes a big difference, shadows moving as the trees sway, light beams cutting through the smallest cracks of the forest as the fog slowly shifts across the landscape, it's a generational leap difference that is not represented in captures.
And those captures don't really do it justice though tbh, they both softer and kinda compressed to how it actually looks.

Yes I'm 40 hours into the game.
Yes the lighting looks nice some times. Yes it is cool when trees sway. But there are also lots of times when it looks really really plain.

Would you mind taking a PC screenshot of the same spot? Just to compare.

I'm playing on PS4.

Top Bottom