• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: GTA 5's next-gen grass compared

this right here... Eurogamer not wanting to dry up that MS advertising well..

last gen http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-red-dead-redemption-face-off

This gen

You're in wildlife most of the time in Red Dead Redemption, though, so it's probably easier to see improved foliage in that game.

And I'm sure you saw these quotes as well?

In truth, PlayStation 3 owners won't really miss it. Many of the nips and tucks only really become noticeable in the Face-Off environment, and won't really impact the gameplay experience.

This is incidental detail - albeit one of the more prominent elements - so unless you have both games operating side by side you are not really going to notice it.

It's fairly downplayed as you can see.

Thanks Eurogamer for telling me what should affect my purchasing decision.

It's still funny how this was a pretty significant deal back when it was Red Dead on the 360/PS3, but now that the shoe is on the other foot, suddenly it's fine to just wear sandals.

yep. digital foundry continues to sound the 'everything you know is wrong' clarion call :) ...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Unless my sarcasm meter is broken, I see some people actually caring about how much grass there is. The amount of grass in this game will affect my game play experience 0.00%. Therefore I don't care.
Good thing you came into a technical thread discussing the amount of grass then!

I'm so fed up with people dropping in to tell us these threads are embarassing or that they don't care. How hard is it to just not post?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Did you even read that?

Frame rate and resolution being lower on PS3 in that instance is not really the same a grass or the odd leaf.

So much for your conspiracy...

that's specifically why I included

Play on PS3 without having seen the 360 version and it's difficult to imagine that the fun factor of the game has been massively impacted

so they even say that performance is nowhere near bad enough to impact the "fun factor", but you should still absolutely buy 360.

yet this gen, differences are nowhere near big enough to impact fun factor, so buy whichever one you want.

same summary, but different conclusion. and I never insisted anything as stupid as a conspiracy.. I'd think everything we know about advertising money in today's day and age with consoles it's pretty clear that unless there are serious problems, a site isn't going to come out and say "you should definitely get the sony version" like they did with MS last gen.

You're in wildlife most of the time in Red Dead Redemption, though, so it's probably easier to see improved foliage in that game.

And I'm sure you saw these quotes as well?

It's fairly downplayed as you can see.

I agree that the RDR comparison wasn't damning nor saying "lulz PS3 version". Just interesting that, in light of one version of RDR performing/looking better you should buy that one, yet in light of one version of GTAV performing/looking better, you should just buy the one you want.

Some unconfirmed reports of better lighting. It'll be interesting anyway.
The GTAV Photo thread is a sight to behold, like.

I'm curious to see the Eurogamer full face off because recently they don't like PS4 and its games. I just want to see which version they recommend to buy (Mostly i doubt they will say both are same and equal even there are some differences but they claim they are minor).

Quick one

grass4zzd0l.gif

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Rockstar just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about grass culture (I'm a vegetarian), but growth and bushiness are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with pubic hair where you are allowed to remove it. If you leave out grass in your video game, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the weed-loving gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase GTAV for either system, nor will they purchase any of Rockstar's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Rockstar has alienated an entire market with this move.

Rockstar, publicly grow some weed on the Xbone or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Mononoke

Banned
Well it may vary from to area to area but some areas do have a pretty significant difference according to these:
RWA2KMR.gif

m5QfIhd.png

Csa01f2.gif

Thanks for posting these, I actually just found out about this. I'm glad I got this on my PS4 instead. Wow. That is pretty substantial. I mean, I know it doesn't change the game. But if you are going to buy a game a second time for a "remaster" or whatever, you would want all of that added stuff.

Guevara

Just one person's opinion, lol grass or whatever but the PS4 version looks way better to me.

Like, the improvement here is more obvious than the usually resolution differences.

I agree that the RDR comparison wasn't damning nor saying "lulz PS3 version". Just interesting that, in light of one version of RDR performing/looking better you should buy that one, yet in light of one version of GTAV performing/looking better, you should just buy the one you want.

I get that you dislike Leadbetter, since he can come off as a bit of an apologist for MS, but from initial findings (not just DF's) it seems RDR has greater performance differences between versions than GTAV (next gen version). Performance issues would give him more reason to recommend a version of a game, and GTAV doesn't seem to have any major performance issues on XB1. Maybe a face-off will show this not to be the case, though. For now these articles are still preliminary findings.

Just one person's opinion, lol grass or whatever but the PS4 version looks way better to me.

Like, this is a more obvious visual improvement than the usually resolution differences.

If you're going by the incorrectly captured screenshots, yes. Digital Foundry's videos don't seem to show much difference besides the grass, though. Time of day makes one version look better than the other (alternating in favor of both consoles) in different points of the comparison video I find.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I don't know how much the rest of you know about grass culture (I'm a vegetarian), but growth and bushiness are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with pubic hair where you are allowed to remove it. If you leave out grass in your video game, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the weed-loving gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase GTAV for either system, nor will they purchase any of Rockstar's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Rockstar has alienated an entire market with this move.

Rockstar, publicly grow some weed on the Xbone or you can kiss your business goodbye.
LOL

First one of these I've laughed at in a long time.

GenericUser

For me, this matters. Glad I own the console that has more "horsepower". Some of these screens show an impressive difference.

So no comparison between the two yet? They are definitely getting there clicks.

I wish someone can round up the RDR foliage boasts on xbox 360 from last gen.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Unless my sarcasm meter is broken, I see some people actually caring about how much grass there is. The amount of grass in this game will affect my game play experience 0.00%. Therefore I don't care.

Its not an article about grass for me but a 3rd party developer taking advantage of the power difference.

Journey

Banned
Is this what gamers have become?

It's Digital Foundry, they're just doing their job and we find this information useful/entertaining. There is a small group of users who don't know how to interpret this data and can turn any minute difference into a reaction thread, but let's not generalize gamers as a group.

Not really a surprise. With a GPU that's 50% more powerful, things like higher resolution, framerate, better lighting or more objects/foliage on screen are to be expected.

Threads like these, filled with awesome gifs and reactions weren't. Grassgate = Gold.

iMax

★★★★★

Kayant

Is this what gamers have become?
Hmmm is called digital foundry for a reason. In-depth analysis this is what is discussed in DF threads I don't get why people are surprised. No one is becoming anything it is made DF threads are for.

Still though am sure DF were more than happy to branch this off into a separate article(them clicks) rather than wait for full face off.

Mastperf

Then perhaps Mr. Wonder...can I call you Stevie? Then perhaps Stevie Wonder you shouldn't have stumbled blindly into this thread.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is almost poetic:

'In Red Dead Redemption, this effect is gone or at least massively reduced, meaning that the gulf in picture quality between the two versions is more readily pronounced. There's no doubt about it: just in terms of the basic aspects of the image, there's little doubt that the 360 version presents more resolution and more detail, and this is rather more important than it would be in many other games.'

whoa are those pics 360 vs xboxone??? it cant be xboxone Vs PS4.

It is Xbox One vs. PS4, but that area is not typical of the entire game. As an X1 owner I was very worried when I saw that, but then I played it and found that most areas that I visited were not like that:

http://gameclipscontent-d2009.xboxl..._=1416336388_a071cbd35abd98f29efeb5bf93d94ec7

http://gameclipscontent-d3004.xboxl..._=1416337407_f101fe1e9d7d65ee79b1ade6be8360fe

Both of these are X1, and after playing for about 3 hours yesterday, are more typical of what I've seen.

Seik

Banned

Well played.

All those #Grassgate gifs are slaying me as well. :lol

I lost it at vegetarian. Holy shit i laughed so hard. Woke up my girlfriend and she's pissed

Top Bottom