• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: GTA 5's next-gen grass compared

Well it may vary from to area to area but some areas do have a pretty significant difference according to these:
RWA2KMR.gif

m5QfIhd.png
]

Wow I didn't think it was this much of a difference, that is insane. I see it's almost like a old gen to next gen difference. I am very glad R* took advantage of the extra power on the PS4. Ubisoft, please take note.

-Amon-

Rockstar just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about grass culture (I'm a vegetarian), but growth and bushiness are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with pubic hair where you are allowed to remove it. If you leave out grass in your video game, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the weed-loving gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase GTAV for either system, nor will they purchase any of Rockstar's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Rockstar has alienated an entire market with this move.

Rockstar, publicly grow some weed on the Xbone or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Sorry to ask but, this is coming from the Final Fantasy XIII multiplatform announcement right ?

As someone who owns both consoles, sometimes I wish the Xbox was equal to the PS4 in hardware just so I can play third party games on it.

Looking at my Xbox library it's titanfall, forza and sunset

G_Berry

Banned
Tag worthy.
More like Ban worthy. This isn't the gametrailers forum.

They should sticky it then ban him. Like when they used to cut off peoples heads and stick them on pikes so you could see them as you went into town. You'd know not to fuck with the law when you saw that shit!

Mr E.

We've had Xbox one first impressions,PS4 frame rate impressions and Grass impressions from DF.
Far cry 4 was released at the same time yet there's no impressions out at all, anyone know when we might expect news on this? Sorry for OT.

Back on topic. Both good, shame about grass but resolution and frame rate are priority.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
this right here... Eurogamer not wanting to dry up that MS advertising well..

last gen http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-red-dead-redemption-face-off

This gen
I think it's off base to suggest that these situations are the same.

The biggest issue with Red Dead on PS3 is not the lack of foliage, rather, the frame-rate. It's a pretty steady 30 fps on Xbox 360 but, on PS3, it dips a lot and feels much worse as a result. On top of that it's a sub-720p resolution on PS3.

With GTAV the XO version runs at the same resolution as the PS4 version and basically just as well. It's still a good version.

I don't see how anyone could argue that this is the same thing.

Why do people act as the only difference on RDR was foliage and call DF biased?

720p MSAAx2 and better framerate vs 1152x640 Qx, with reduced LOD and missing effects and shadows.

Foliage differences didn't got any relevance in that article:

In truth, PlayStation 3 owners won't really miss it. Many of the nips and tucks only really become noticeable in the Face-Off environment, and won't really impact the gameplay experience.

Also, was a new thread really needed?

StuBurns

Banned
I hope they test the impact of the FoV slider on performance, across both platforms too, but just within a single platform would be interesting. I can't tell any difference at all on PS4.
I'm in the UK at the moment, does anybody know if UK PS4 games work on Australian PS4's?
They do. However, DLC is often region-locked, and the chances of a single player DLC is worth considering.

Naminator

Banned
Please. Just stop. Putting -gate after every "controversy" is more useless than the conversations themselves. Stop trying to make this a suffix. It's not.

PLEASE.

I don't understand why anyone gives a crap about grass. It's grass.

EDIT: I just woke up and subsequently am extremely salty. But please. I don't want the English language to be bastardized any further.

Awwww are the big bad people talking in a way that you don't personally approve?

How horrible, horrible.

btw those gifs that you quoted are hilarious!

GRaider81

As someone who owns both consoles, sometimes I wish the Xbox was equal to the PS4 in hardware just so I can play third party games on it.

Looking at my Xbox library it's titanfall, forza and sunset

My x1 is basically an exclusive machine while my PS4 buckles under the giga weight of 3rd party games.

Im fine with that though. Best of both worlds.

I can't wait to see the comparisons to PC come January, that'll be a much bigger difference.

Until then I've got the Xbox version.

What if the only difference is a higher frame rate and resolution? Do you really think they'll add more detail in the actual world? I mean... it'd be nice. But... I'm not holing my breath.

My x1 is basically an exclusive machine while my PS4 buckles under the giga weight of 3rd party games.

Im fine with that though. Best of both worlds.

When i purchases both last year, this is how I thought it was going to play out.

But after using both systems for the last 12 months, i still end up buying my multiplats on XB1. Its where my friends are and I just like Xbox OS more than the PS4 OS.

Call me crazy, but i actually like the snap feature, and "xbox record that" is more handy to me. Also, I like the simplicity of UPLOAD Studio much more than Share Factory.

Overall, I do wish the XB1 was more powerful because this is probably going to be more of an issue as time goes on. However, for now, my XB1 still gets the majority of my purchases, knowing full-well that they're the technically inferior versions.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
When i purchases both last year, this is how I thought it was going to play out.

But after using both systems for the last 12 months, i still end up buying my multiplats on XB1. Its where my friends are and I just like Xbox OS more than the PS4 OS.

Call me crazy, but i actually like the snap feature, and "xbox record that" is more handy to me. Also, I like the simplicity of UPLOAD Studio much more than Share Factory.

Overall, I do wish the XB1 was more powerful because this is probably going to be more of an issue as time goes on. However, for now, my XB1 still gets the majority of my purchases, knowing full-well that they're the technically inferior versions.

Yeah, but perhaps there's a reason you have less friends on the PS4.

Vespene

Buy wherever most of your friends are. That's my only rule.

I can play games with my friends, I can't play games with blades of grass.

Bastables

Why do people act as the only difference on RDR was foliage and call DF biased?

720p MSAAx2 and better framerate vs 1152x640 Qx, with reduced LOD and missing effects and shadows.

Foliage differences didn't got any relevance in that article:

Also, was a new thread really needed?
Why do you imply that the only GTA5 difference is grass? What about DF pointing out the ps4 hold 30fps better and the Xbox one is missing lighting effects? (Lens flare)

McLovin

I don't think its a big deal. If taking some grass off, that isn't noticeable, helps keep the xbox version at 1080p and a steady framerate then rockstar did the right thing. The alternative would be taking foliage out of the ps4 for parity and that would have been terrible. Or would people prefer 1080i or 900p 30fps with all the grass?

What if the only difference is a higher frame rate and resolution? Do you really think they'll add more detail in the actual world? I mean... it'd be nice. But... I'm not holing my breath.

At the very least we'll have a detail distance slider like GTA 4, meaning that grass and street clutter will be visible from a much higher distance. I've noticed that on both new versions the grass is absent from any hill other than the one you're on.

Why do you imply that the only GTA5 difference is grass? What about DF pointing out the ps4 hold 30fps better and the Xbox one is missing lighting effects? (Lens flare)

The lens flare is only missing from the start of the game. Playing well past that you see it everywhere.

vesvci

Banned
Haha this thread.

Overall, this is the kind of effect where the PS4's larger GPU and higher fill-rate come to the fore, and while it shouldn't impact any purchasing decision (Xbox One is hardly barren and featureless in the affected locations), it's nice to see that Rockstar has utilised the additional graphics power on tap in the Sony console.

But, but the PS4's CPU is weak sauce according to Ubisoft. At the end of the day this is a last-gen game, so the difference should't be immense between XBO and PS4.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think it's off base to suggest that these situations are the same.

The biggest issue with Red Dead on PS3 is not the lack of foliage, rather, the frame-rate. It's a pretty steady 30 fps on Xbox 360 but, on PS3, it dips a lot and feels much worse as a result. On top of that it's a sub-720p resolution on PS3.

With GTAV the XO version runs at the same resolution as the PS4 version and basically just as well. It's still a good version.

I don't see how anyone could argue that this is the same thing.

fine, I'll bite.

because the summary in the RDR was literally

Play on PS3 without having seen the 360 version and it's difficult to imagine that the fun factor of the game has been massively impacted

the game, by their own words was a great purchase on the PS3 (given the greatness of the game)

but

Xbox 360 is the version of Red Dead you should buy

yes it's been said a number of times in here "but PS3 had lower frame rate, and lower resolution". Ok, that's true. But at the same time, we see the XBONE version of GTAV having less detail. Smaller difference than RDR? Absolutely. But then again, why is it "this version is objectively better, buy it" but then GTAV "this version is objectively better. make your own choice."

the standard of the RDR article would seem to be "even though both versions are good in their own right, buy the better", yet the standard for GTAV is "even though both versions are good in their own right, buy the one you want", even though the conclusion of the lesser version of both is "your enjoyment of the game won't be impacted"

the level of "how much better/worse" is a moving target, absolutely. But in the case of one being objectively better than the other, shouldn't they be recommending the objectively better one each time?

tbm24

fine, I'll bite.

because the summary in the RDR was literally

the game, by their own words was a great purchase on the PS3 (given the greatness of the game)

but

yes it's been said a number of times in here "but PS3 had lower frame rate, and lower resolution". Ok, that's true. But at the same time, we see the XBONE version of GTAV having less detail. Smaller difference than RDR? Absolutely. But then again, why is it "this version is objectively better, buy it" but then GTAV "this version is objectively better. make your own choice."

the standard of the RDR article would seem to be "even though both versions are good in their own right, buy the better", yet the standard for GTAV is "even though both versions are good in their own right, buy the one you want", even though the conclusion of the lesser version of both is "your enjoyment of the game won't be impacted"

the level of "how much better/worse" is a moving target, absolutely. But in the case of one being objectively better than the other, shouldn't they be recommending the objectively better one each time?
Why is it hard to consider that they can change on their stance and now the differences are so inconsequential that it doesn't matter? Do they need to stay consistent with an analysis/recommendation made years ago?

Moobabe

I, seemingly like a few of you, take issue with this:

The PS4 advantage here is much more subtle - a few bonus plants and small grassy areas. Overall, this is the kind of effect where the PS4's larger GPU and higher fill-rate come to the fore, and while it shouldn't impact any purchasing decision (Xbox One is hardly barren and featureless in the affected locations),

When was a Digital Foundry analysis an editorial? I thought they were supposed to be talking about performance, differences in effects/graphics etc and pointing people towards the best version of the game?

Why is it hard to consider that they can change on their stance and now the differences are so inconsequential that it doesn't matter? Do they need to stay consistent with an analysis/recommendation made years ago?
If one performs better than the other, it doesn't "deserve" the same score.
(For example: 9.0 and 8.5, or 90% and 86%. Something like that.)

RedStep

No? Some things are not a big enough difference to make (or recommend) a purchasing decision on.

If something is $3.99 at Target but $3.98 at Wal-Mart, does that mean everybody should, no matter what, purchase at Wal-Mart? Of course not. It's a penny, plus Wal-Mart is shitty and the people suck. I'll spend the extra penny and shop at Target.

The difference in some grass in some places of a huge game is that penny; if you're really in the position to choose one version over another, there are a ton of non-technical considerations that would come first in that decision for any reasonable person (ie not a person just looking to declare the "objective best").

keit4

Banned
I think this wasn't a problem when it happened to the PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption. People still bought the game, right?

I was this way with the PS3 and 360 but I cannot get myself to buy something that is inferior this time around. I will find new friends to play online with regardless :)

Top Bottom