• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

shandy706

Best looking 720p I've ever seen.

Battlefront looks incredible at 720p too on X1.

Looking forward to playing this on X1 and PC.

Chobel

Tell that to the cs go pro gamers that drop resolution to the lowest they can get it to!

Pros plays at 800x600 or 1024*768, so I guess that's the best resolutions for all games, right? /s

Serious answer: in CS:GO, the low resolutions have advantage of more framerate and lower FOV and that's why many pros use them.

Pros plays at 800x600 or 1024*768, so I guess that's the best resolutions for all games, right? /s

Serious answer: in CS:GO, the low resolutions have advantage of more framerate and lower FOV and that's why many pros use them.

FPS isn't an issue for any pro, no matter the res it's easy to get 300fps. Lots of pros play 4:3 stretched now for larger player models. Another benefit is the game looks "cleaner" on lower res, less visual clutter. Also I think stretched makes it easier to control your spray/see feedback from your gun.

I think the only people who still use 4:3 black bars are people just used to it from 1.6 or people who are primary awpers, as black bars is much nicer to snipe on.

The lack of FOV is largely the main negative to not use 4:3, it's pretty much the only downside.

GHG

Gold Member
Concerns? It's a videogame. It's hardly like there are serious issues with playing on one or the other that will have a lasting detrimental effect. They are both MS platforms.

As far as BananaFactory's point about rather playing on console when the difference isn't huge, I'm not having it. We know what the Xbone is capable of and there is always going to be a decent gap between a mid-range PC and the Xbox. We've seen it already with other games. You can even still get your achievements via the Xbox app.

So this isn't worth being concerned about if you game on the PC:

Limited to 1080p at 30fps

?

-griffy-

Banned
So this isn't worth being concerned about if you game on the PC:

?

Did you ignore all the context surrounding that bit?

Remedy were pretty open on the state of the build at that time. Limited to 1080p at 30fps, it still required plenty of work before launch. The developer is promising a maximum 4K experience at 60fps

You don't think resolution is a part of that?

Obviously it's a part of it.

Non native resolutions affects image quality....no amount of wishing will change that. Welcome to the world of fixed pixel displays.

Appreciate the sarcasm.

Resolution literally affects how the game looks.

Really? I had no idea!

Probably the same thing that happened to staying on topic in a technical thread.

I know right? Annoying how people do that.

720p or 1080p, the game looks good. Either buy it or don't.

nib95

Banned
I am sorry but I call absolute bullshit on this. I am playing division on pc. I can run it on ultra settings at 1080p no problem. If I raise it to 1440p I have to drop some settings but the game looks crisper (to stay above 60fps) the gameplay though is absolutely flipping identical.

Yes, because it's sharp and detailed enough at both 1080p and 1440p. Both are going to look crisp, 720p however is going to look soft and rather blurry. It's a completely different kettle of fish, and diminishing returns does play in to it. Personally I think 900p should be the bare minimum target for Xbox One games, though I'm not exactly going to not buy games if they fall below that.

GHG

Gold Member
Not if the alternative is 30fps and 720p on the Xbone, which is what we were talking about.

Just because it's better than the alternative it doesn't make it acceptable.

Did you ignore all the context surrounding that bit?

Yes I did because that is what currently exists. The rest of it is just a promise, there is no guarantee. It even says they have plenty of work to do and last time I checked, time is fast running out.

NBtoaster

The character quality is pretty amazing. A big step up from the terrible lip syncing in Alan Wake.

Its a low resolution, but not too big of a deal because of the quality aa.

Head.spawn

I mean, I'm still buying this and all, but 720p/30fps?

What the balls?

I did a quadruple-take when I saw this headline. I thought it was supposed to be 1080p.

Resolution affects how you see distant objects/enemies.

EDIT: Not saying 720p is bad, my point is that resolution affects gameplay.

It's always a matter of concessions with video games. 30 fps means you can increase visual fidelity at the expense of playability. Native resolution means sharper images at the expense of more advanced effects. Etc etc etc.

Game by game the 'best' thing to do on a piece of fixed hardware differs.

Like I've said more than once, Alan Wake wouldn't have been the same game without all the alpha effects and realtime volumetric lighting.

In that case, dropping resolution was the right move for the game, given that it was an Xbox 360 game, and things central to the atmosphere and gameplay couldn't have been done at 720p.

Is it the same here? I'm not so sure. But as I've said, I'm giving Remedy the benefit of the doubt after Alan Wake.

Shin-Ra

Dat 50% speed.
Here it is running at the intended speed, not under the microscope

ezgif_4283277638.gif

Is this worthy of criticism? Not a rhetorical question, I see some being okay with it, not noticing it and some being distracted negatively.
That 480x270 (1/16th scale) GIF is being extremely kind to the low shadow resolution.

QBshadows.gif

That's a native res crop with no extra scaling if you drag to desktop and preview 1:1.

The video doesn't demonstrate it very clearly because there's a time shift effect playing at the same time but shadow draw distance is also extremely low.

It's always a matter of concessions with video games. 30 fps means you can increase visual fidelity at the expense of playability. Native resolution means sharper images at the expense of more advanced effects. Etc etc etc.

Like I've said more than once, Alan Wake wouldn't have been the same game without all the alpha effects and realtime volumetric lighting.

In that case, dropping resolution was the right move for the game, given that it was an Xbox 360 game, and things central to the atmosphere and gameplay couldn't have been done at 720p.

Is it the same here? I'm not so sure. But as I've said, I'm giving Remedy the benefit of the doubt after Alan Wake.

I would say it's probably the same here. The effects in this game are beyond anything I have seen from every single other game and it's really not even close.

I think Remedy feel that the time abilities that you use constantly needed to have ridiculous fidelity to sell the experience.

Chobel

Agree with all your points, and I for one happy they targeted better visual effects instead of higher resolution. However what I was arguing with Ninja Sharingan is that resolution doesn't just mean sharper images, it can affect the gameplay of the game.

It sure isn't 1080p.

Personally, I think there is some sort of reconstruction technique happening here similar to Rainbow Six Siege (based on what little I've seen of the game). I'm eager to spend time with it in the future to get a better idea.

It looks clean when the camera is motionless but chunks up when moving. R6S did the same. Reminds me of a field rendered PS2 game in some ways.

Does that mean IQ similar to Siege as well when in motion?

Because Siege might be 1080p on PS4 but I'm absolutely not a fan of its IQ. Just.. all kinds of yuck.

Agree with all your points, and I for one happy they targeted better visual effects instead of higher resolution. However what I was arguing with Ninja Sharingan is that resolution doesn't just mean sharper images, it can affect the gameplay of the game.
Yes, absolutely. And sometimes you can't make the type of game you want without dropping resolution. That's all I'm saying.

tuxfool

Banned
Does that mean IQ similar to Siege as well when in motion?

Because Siege might be 1080p on PS4 but I'm absolutely not a fan of its IQ. Just.. all kinds of yuck.

If you look at the footage of QB, it looks kinda rough in motion in some places, particularly there is an aliased patina around the characters in some instances. It doesn't seem to be geometry aliasing, but instead some kind of shader based or lighting aliasing.

I particularly noticed it in the Giantbomb footage (after the elevator scene). It can be seen as a weird halo effect around the head.

Angel_DvA

That 480x270 (1/16th scale) GIF is being extremely kind to the low shadow resolution.

QBshadows.gif

That's a native res crop with no extra scaling if you drag to desktop and preview 1:1.

The video doesn't demonstrate it very clearly because there's a time shift effect playing at the same time but shadow draw distance is also extremely low.

Damn, it looks rough...

Just because it's better than the alternative it doesn't make it acceptable.

Yes I did because that is what currently exists. The rest of it is just a promise, there is no guarantee. It even says they have plenty of work to do and last time I checked, time is fast running out.

Well it is what it is. Don't play it then.

The original post in that exchange was that it's odd so many people are saying that because the Xbone version is 720p, they are now going to play on PC. I wondered why someone with a capable PC wouldn't automatically play it there given its guaranteed to be the better version. You're just bitching about both versions so you're probably better off just not bothering with Quantum Break at all.

Isn't higher FOV better?

Typically in fps games it helps for spatial awareness but CSGO players already know where other team is so they focus on simple larger visuals. Don't know why CSGO is even brought up vs an SP 3rd person game lol, it's simply not comparable at all. It was the same with Quake, disable all textures, brighten skins to one color, focus on enemy through sound pickups, you don't need GFX for that.

The Argus

Sounds disappointing but I'm still buying it. Resolution doesn't always determine the experience.

Would I like it to be 1080P, of course. But that doesn't make a game a great one.

These compromises and cuts are worse than The Order being on rails and linear. PC gamers don't have to worry though I suppose.

Hahaha, this is bait right? I too prefer mediocre and unreplayable games to any 720P title.

These compromises and cuts are worse than The Order being on rails and linear. PC gamers don't have to worry though I suppose.

So you'd rather have really superficial, linear, yet pretty games, than games that are ambitious but slightly compromised in terms of the number of pixels they push?

With all my time with the game, I never really seen the resolution as a bad thing with the type of stuff going on screen. Will be interesting to see what others think come release.

I sense that a lot of the people making a huff about the resolution were never going to play this game anyway

Probably. Hopefully the reviews will be great and everyone will buy it and we can all sit around a camp fire and discuss the story and neat gameplay.

Not a chance in hell i guess.

Fat4all

Banned
Well it is what it is. Don't play it then.

The original post in that exchange was that it's odd so many people are saying that because the Xbone version is 720p, they are now going to play on PC. I wondered why someone with a capable PC wouldn't automatically play it there given its guaranteed to be the better version. You're just bitching about both versions so you're probably better off just not bothering with Quantum Break at all.

"IF YOU GONNA COMPLAIN DON'T PLAY IT" is a stupid thing to tell people.

I complained about technical issues with the Halo Collection but I still enjoyed the game. Does that mean I have to accept the shit that went down with the Halo Collection? I complained about the frame issues in Bloodborne but I still enjoyed the game. Does that mean I can't have issues with it?

People can have issues even with games they like or are looking forward to. One's opinion should have to jump immediately to "settle or GTFO".

Don't care. It's remedy. The game looks great.

Don't care. The game looks good enough to me.

Same. I really couldn't care less, the game looks ace. Can't wait to play it.

If you dont care about the technical aspects of a game then why post in a thread discussing an article about the games technical aspects ?
Digital Foundry threads exist to discuss the technical aspects of games.
They dont exist for cheerleading.

Many pros play at that resolution because that's what they been playing on for 10 years or more.

Top Bottom