• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

gamz

Disappointing that folks are fine with 720p30. If resolution and framerate arent important why not just have the game render at 640x480 with an immense number of effects.

Thankfully the game is also available on pc so we can actually run it at native resolution without any scaling artifacts.

Dude, it's remedy. Enough said. I'll play it whatever rez they put it at. LOL!

So to summarize

720p@30 fps with dips on console (bodes really great for performance on pc doesn't it?)
UWA windows store exclusive locked to windows 10 and locked at 30 fps too with promises to do better later?

If that's how Microsoft wants to force me to upgrade from windows 8.1 they need reality check

I don't get why all the people here saying they are now getting this on PC wouldn't have done so in the first place? If your PC is capable, it's obviously going to be the better place to play.

Genio88

Didn't expect that, i thought 900p at least, anyway i don't care cause the game looks awesome and i'll play it on PC anyway

Theorry

So to summarize

720p@30 fps with dips on console (bodes really great for performance on pc doesn't it?)
UWA windows store exclusive locked to windows 10 and locked at 30 fps too with promises to do better later?

If that's how Microsoft wants to force me to upgrade from windows 8.1 they need reality check

What? PC is up to 4k/60fps

Gitaroo

I never found Qb to be impressive in any way. Even the facial expressions looked somewhat stiff and odd. But I wont deny that this game has a different visual presentation to most games.

But this is remedy game and I am so hyped for it.

Same here, only those stylized time shiftinh effects looks great but overall quite bad. They game always look look blurry and muddy, I was surprised when they said it was suppose to run 1080p. Preview from a couple of weeks ago showed some super low quality volumatric light and terrible shadow draw distance. Game looks interesting enough that i want to play.

EraErr0r1

720p is incredibly disappointing for a current gen title in 2016. I will still be buying the game though as I love Remedy's games.

If anything, this just 'illustrates' how necessary an Xbox One.5 is for Microsoft to improve their 'image' (ok I'll stop) and regain some market share. The initial concept/specs of the pre-launch, always online/cloud, Kinnected Xbox is crippling them and they desperately need a machine that reflects their new game plan to stay competitive.

reKon

Banned
As probably said many times in this thread, I guess the PC requirements weren't so crazy afterall? Lol. I hope this game delivers. The impressions I saw last month made me much more interested. I generally strongly prefer TPS campaigns to FPS campaigns.

Angel_DvA

I never found Qb to be impressive in any way. Even the facial expressions looked somewhat stiff and odd. But I wont deny that this game has a different visual presentation to most games.

But this is remedy game and I am so hyped for it.

It looks good but I've never been blown away either like I said many times on different topics but that's not really because of the resolution but most likely the art style choose for the game itself, it's a Remedy game so it should be great but I'm not really sure about the TV stuff, we'll see...

I totally agree. If people feel better pointing and laughing at this game for being 720p they can max it out on PC. I am just happy we get another remedy game.

I will play at 720p and whatever my pc will run it at (damn you MS for not supporting my Gsync)

I think it is sad that a game is 720p on xbox one, but there will obviously be reasons for it. The effects look nuts so I know deep down that it must be a taxing game on the hardware.

Roll on launch day Can not wait!

UWAs support gsync. It's total nonsense that they don't. They do. Rise of the Tomb Raider sure does. I haven't played Gears, but the developers said it does, albeit it the first release had some issue with cutscenes and gsync (but not gameplay).

I'm getting tired of shooting down that misconception.

This will support gsync. Absolutely. 100%.

Wagram

Alan Wake was amazing so I don't think it will mean a lot at the end of the day in terms of the game itself. However, 720p at 23fps is unacceptable for a AAA title. This isn't a low budget title where those problems are more acceptable.

gamz

Alan Wake was amazing so I don't think will mean a lot at the end of the day in terms of the game itself. However, 720p at 23fps is unacceptable for a AAA title. This isn't a low budget title where those problems are more acceptable.

Alan Wake was below the 360 standards and you managed to like it.

Same with Jackfrags who is used to play on high end pc's and always knows his stuff. And he said in his latest vid it was 1080p when he played the xbox version and he was told it was 1080p. I mean he could be wrong. But if it was 720p instead of 1080p he for sure would have noticed it. Or maybe it is 720p but the best looking ever. Even NX Gamer said in his technical preview it was 1080p. I dont know. All of this sounds weird.
Yep, that's is why this whole debacle feels weird.

Yudoken

720p/30 fps (and lower) in 2016...

I'm pretty sure (as it was the case in every other game) my friends cheap 750ti/amd cpu pc even beats that.

Chobel

The screenshots do look really good, and the image quality looks cleaner than Battlefront's, but I dunno.
Whatever, I just hope they'll patch in 1080p on the new Xbox hardware. Maybe I should wait to play on that, hmmmmmm.

This either is the best use of film grain effect I've ever seen, or this game is way above 720p.

Alan Wake was below the 360 standards and you managed to like it.

Many people think Alan Wake is one of the best looking games on 360 inspite of it's resolution. You may not feel that way, but it isn't really a fact that it was somehow below 360 standards. I appreciate you're excited about the game either way, though.

DirtyLarry

I did something I hardly ever do and I just canceled my retail preorder of the game (I prefer physical) and went with the digital version. Sole reason being is to get that Windows 10 copy.
While my current rig would not handle the game all that well, the rig I am building to support Oculus will. This way I do get to also get to experience the game with higher technical specifications. Win Win.

Fat4all

Banned
It's Remedy, so I'm buying QB no matter what, but yeah I can see why people are worried. Even with the PC release there might be issues with forced frame rate locks and the like.

How can it be 720p since it looks so damn good? No one was concerned about resolution before this, even when we have seen so much gameplay on Xbox One already.

I was not the only one to post that the game looked quite blurry in the preiew thread. Some effects are greatly implemented, but the picture quality -and the animations- is (are) pretty mediocre...

Bgamer90

Banned
Disappointing that folks are fine with 720p30. If resolution and framerate arent important why not just have the game render at 640x480 with an immense number of effects.

Heaven forbid that some simply want the best balance of looks alongside a game that will play well on a console that was outdated at launch.

Love how people actually need to be told what resolution the game runs at, because they can't figure it for themselves. A week back people were saying it's one of the best looking console games this year, now people are all of a sudden "disappointed", as if knowing what resolution the game is running at completely changes everything.

Not everyone is in the same group but yeah, there are definitely some that wouldn't know a game's resolution unless they are told it.

cakely

Noone here knows if this is final code. Gaf be Gaf

This thread is a discussion about the Digital Foundry hands-on of Quantum Break. The copy of Quantum Break that they're testing appears to be running at a resolution of 720p. Quantum Break "went gold" on February 19th, one month ago.

It stands to reason that Digital Foundry has been testing the release version.

Drive-by, low-information posts be drive-by, low-information posts.

Dude, it's remedy. Enough said. I'll play it whatever rez they put it at. LOL!

That's what I was thinking. Set it to 640 x 480 I'll still be in day one. The lighting and wind effects in Alan wake were amazing. I understood why it was the result it was. I'm sure there is a reason this is 720p. And not just the weak Xbox one
we sure this isnt another "but the xbox outputs ALL games in 1080p" regardless if the game is rendered in 720?
This is what I think. It's just the scaler again

The game looks good to me on Xbox One so that's all that matters to me. I don't think it will run natively at 720p. There is always the PC version which is being offered free with Xbox One anyways, since I pre-ordered it digitally.

Fuck me, one year later and we're still seeing half of a thread arguing semantics about The Order's resolution... and this isn't even an Order thread!

The posts implying Quantum Break's engine might be "bloated"... come the fucking on. Have you seen what the game's actually doing?

I'm more concerned about the game itself than its XB1 resolution (which to be fair doesn't affect me in the slightest) or imaginary engine bloat. Animations look off, AI still looks dumb, and the powers look like superfluous tools outside the puzzle/traversal sections because the game just looks so damn easy, like you're using them because they're there and they're supposed to be the point of the game, but you don't seem to need them. We've seen videos of people playing it on hard like they've never touched a gamepad before and Jack just seems to soak up tons of bullets before we reach strawberry vision.

Level design also looks bland. We've mostly seen one-level, rectangular arenas with standard TPS cover and the odd pillar here and there. I realize that the amount of fighting done indoors, in buldings with realistic architecture, is likely the main culprit, but still... It just looks okay to play, but not great.

Alan Wake was amazing so I don't think it will mean a lot at the end of the day in terms of the game itself. However, 720p at 23fps is unacceptable for a AAA title. This isn't a low budget title where those problems are more acceptable.

Alan wake had awful tearing and sub 720p still one of my favourite games ever made. You will be fine with Qb if the game warrants it
Fuck me, one year later and we're still seeing half of a thread arguing semantics about The Order's resolution... and this isn't even an Order thread!

The posts implying Quantum Break's engine might be "bloated"... come the fucking on. Have you seen what the game's actually doing?

I'm more concerned about the game itself than its XB1 resolution (which to be fair doesn't affect me in the slightest) or imaginary engine bloat. Animations look off, AI still looks dumb, and the powers look like superfluous tools outside the puzzle/traversal sections because the game just looks so damn easy, like you're using them because they're there and they're supposed to be the point of the game, but you don't seem to need them. We've seen videos of people playing it on hard like they've never touched a gamepad before and Jack just seems to soak up tons of bullets before we reach strawberry vision.

Level design also looks bland. We've mostly seen one-level, rectangular arenas with standard TPS cover and the odd pillar here and there. I realize that the amount of fighting done indoors, in buldings with realistic architecture, is likely the main culprit, but still... It just looks okay to play, but not great.

Wait for the ot:)

foxbeldin

I remember a french site (gamekult) who attended the same event and said QB looked blurry. (And they got ton of shit in their forums because of it).
People can definitely tell if a game is crisp or not. It might not translate into resolution numbers for them, but they can actually see the difference.

UWAs support gsync. It's total nonsense that they don't. They do. Rise of the Tomb Raider sure does. I haven't played Gears, but the developers said it does, albeit it the first release had some issue with cutscenes and gsync (but not gameplay).

I'm getting tired of shooting down that misconception.

This will support gsync. Absolutely. 100%.
Gsync is fucked up without Exclusive Fullscreen. I don't know how long you've been shooting down that "misconception," but unless UWP has been updated to support Exclusive Fullscreen, and the devs have already updated their games to take advantage of it, adaptive vsync is still very much borked on UWA.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Same with Jackfrags who is used to play on high end pc's and always knows his stuff. And he said in his latest vid it was 1080p when he played the xbox version and he was told it was 1080p. I mean he could be wrong. But if it was 720p instead of 1080p he for sure would have noticed it. Or maybe it is 720p but the best looking ever. Even NX Gamer said in his technical preview it was 1080p. I dont know. All of this sounds weird.
Maybe the rendering resolution is 1080p but the most of the assets are rendered at anywhere from 720p to 1080p.

Ushay

Remedy is one of those rare studios that always, always deliver for. Much like CDP and Naughty Dog.

Super hyped for this, regardless of resolution etc.

That being said, news like this secretly makes me happy newer iterations of the hardware is on it's way.

abracadaver

080zyuod.jpg

I don't care at what resolution it runs.

The real problem is why are there no bullet casings falling to the ground? After the max payne games how can Remedy omit such an important detail

Top Bottom