• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

EGM1966

The article seems mostly positive. It's kinda funny they bring up Uncharted 4 from the get go since they haven't reviewed that one yet. I mean, InFamous Second Son was doing 1080p 2 years ago and the Digital Foundry article on that talks about Alan Wake. Weird.
DF always has odd comments that invite unnecessary platform comparisons. I kind of get the idea but in the end I don't think dragging a 1080p exclusive from another console into the evaluation is at all helpful.

SOR5

DF always has odd comments that invite unnecessary platform comparisons. I kind of get the idea but in the end I don't think dragging a 1080p exclusive from another console into the evaluation is at all helpful.

I remember thoroughly enjoying Skyrim on PS3 and being bombarded with reasons why I shouldn't. these cited reasons were 99% DF articles. But the console war keeps the clicks coming I guess.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I remember thoroughly enjoying Skyrim on PS3 and being bombarded with reasons why I shouldn't. these cited reasons were 99% DF articles. But the console war keeps the clicks coming I guess.

Wasn't Skyrim on PS3 plagued with a shitload of issues once your savefile got to a certain size though? Like constant lock ups?

etta

my hard graphic balls
The screenshots do look really good, and the image quality looks cleaner than Battlefront's, but I dunno.
Whatever, I just hope they'll patch in 1080p on the new Xbox hardware. Maybe I should wait to play on that, hmmmmmm.
4Zgz5Gc.jpg

Ju3PcmV.jpg

SW6ANfH.jpg

0fTJfVB.jpg

0LmCNJB.jpg

99lMB9z.jpg

wslBsKv.jpg

GHG

I agree with you on this, however in reference to QB specifically, do you see alot of jaggies and v sync issues? Do you see a visually and aesthetically pleasing game? Not a trick question either.

My stance is as long as the final image thats perceivable is a satisfactory one, this is what matters most.

Vsync issues are mentioned in DF's article and as for IQ it's something that I'd only be able to judge if I got the game playing on my TV (or some uncompressed direct footage videos).

To be honest if the game is running at 720p I wouldn't even bother with it. But that's just me, I'm quite sensitive when it comes to IQ, hence I play pretty much all of my PC games downsampled on my PC. Games running below 1080p on my consoles is a big no-no for me.

At this point, I have my fingers crossed for UC4. I don't think anyone outside of ND has a chance at dethroning that beast.

I think ND will have a tough job outdoing The Order because they tend to create bigger, open environments, and they give the player more freedom. If ND were to make a game as linear as The Order I reckon they could top it.

You would think a 720p game in 2016 would be at least 60fps, but this game is actually getting dips at 30fps. That says less about the hardware and more about Remedy.

SOR5

Wasn't Skyrim on PS3 plagued with a shitload of issues once your savefile got to a certain size though? Like constant lock ups?

Never encountered 'em, pretty crap if that happens but I still don't like how people use DF to invalidate games, or the fact that DF themself seems to dip in to that console war mentality.

However I thoroughly appreciate the extensive research that DF does when searching their games, they absolutely do know what theyre talking about a lot of the time.

Not surprised after Alan Wake was one of the lowest res games on 360.

And like this, still one of the best looking games on the system despite that.

It's still certainly a negative on both games that they render so much at a lower frame buffer (because again, Alan Wake's final output was 720p and Remedy said something very similar about that as they have about Quantum Break's final output resolution and again it was right but very misunderstood)... but that doesn't mean there are never cases where that tradeoff is worth making.

In Alan Wake it was a trade off to do crazy draw distances with alpha textures and arguably the best real time lighting at the time. In Quantum Break... well I'm not sure. I'm purposefully avoiding footage of the game to try and go in relatively cold.

Think about it, if lighting had to give to get 720p on Alan Wake... yeah. No thanks. I'll take the version we got (well I'll take the PC version where you don't have to make any trade off at all, but still).

Introvese

Banned
I got clowned when i said the game looked off. But people called me a Pony. I got attacked and didn't even say anything bad about the game

SOR5

Vsync issues are mentioned in DF's article and as for IQ it's something that I'd only be able to judge if I got the game playing on my TV (or some uncompressed direct footage videos).

To be honest if the game is running at 720p I wouldn't even bother with it. But that's just me, I'm quite sensitive when it comes to IQ, hence I play pretty much all of my PC games downsampled on my PC. Games running below 1080p on my consoles is a big no-no for me.

I respect that, I understand when image clarity becomes a priority for some.

The drops and tearing are more worrying than the resolution for me. Still getting the game but I'm a bit concerned about immersion being broken.

720p?

Is that why the game looks a bit blurry?
Still a very pretty game for Remedy though, giving XB1 a good workout.

Edit: Actually what was ryse resolution?

The only way to know for sure is, testing it yourself, or wait for reviews at the beginning of April.
I hope the V sync issues have been fixed in the final game, or at least with a day one patch. (Xbox One version)

The Order isn't 900p...

I don't think that argument ever really got settled.

Because technically it is 900p, in the same way that when you only do horizontal scaling but have 1080 lines, it's still 1080p even though it isn't 1 pixel to 1 pixel.

900p means 900 horizontal lines. The Order is 1920 x 900. That's simultaneously 1 pixel to 1 pixel on your display and 900p.

But to just call it 900p I've always felt was misleading, while correct on a technicality.

edit: I guess 800 lines perhaps.

Vamphuntr

My 970 and i74790k better be able to do 1080p 60FPS.

This isn't surprising like people said before in this thread since Remedy likes effect more than resolution. Alan Wake PC ran good so I have hopes for this.

Helznicht

Screens remind me of the Division and that's a full open world. Them time effects really must take their toll. Will play this on PC anyways, hope its a good port.

I know, crazy that there is more discussions around the technical aspects in a Digital Foundry thread.

Take a clearly positive technical write up of the game. Pick the one bad aspect of the game and talk about nothing else. Win?

Screens remind me of the Division and that's a full open world. Them time effects really must take their toll. Will play this on PC anyways, hope its a good port.

Hopefully they implement a free cam on PC again, so we can see just how big the world is outside the fenced off area the player finds themselves in. Alan Wake was *always* using the full single landscape for it's mountains and hills and forests. It just selectively loads in the roads, rivers and buildings required in each chapter, but on PC you can detach the camera and fly across the whole area and it's pretty massive. This is using the same engine... so I wonder...

Dunkley

Alan Wake was SubHD at the time too, and it was VERY visible. I think Remedy prioritizes effects. It's just their choice.

It's actually really interesting, I didn't suspect Alan Wake to be SubHD but then again I was blown away by how stable it was performing despite all that it was rendering.

Feel free to call me blind or dumb, but for some reason it never occurred to me it was sub-HD while playing it.

Guymelef

I don't think that argument ever really got settled.

Because technically it is 900p, in the same way that when you only do horizontal scaling but have 1080 lines, it's still 1080p even though it isn't 1 pixel to 1 pixel.

900p means 900 horizontal lines. The Order is 1920 x 900. That's simultaneously 1 pixel to 1 pixel on your display and 900p.

But to just call it 900p I've always felt was misleading, while correct on a technicality.

edit: I guess 800 lines perhaps.

Emm no.
900p is an standard resolution.
The Order 1886 is 1080p with 2.40:1 aspect ratio.
Your Blu-Ray movies with this ratio are 1080p, not 900p.

Also 1920*800 > 1600*900

maxiell

I thought gameplay was king? I still think this will be bloody good. I'd rather play this at 720p than The Order at 1080p any day.

Fortunately one game has nothing to do with the other.

Tons of effects and animations means this isn't likely to improve pre- or post-release. Comparing it to other games that demand so much less really isn't fair. This was probably another reason Microsoft agreed to put the title on personal computer.

Alienous

So why isn't there a big deal over resolution when obviously frame rate is king?

"Ubisoft"

Yet people still bought the game

Next? Don't try that disingenuous shit with me mate

You're arguing against a point nobody is arguing for. People bought Watch Dogs & Star Wars Battlefront? Ok? Nobody is saying people won't buy Quantum Break.

Buy the game. Nobody gives a shit. People are discussing the technical aspects of Quantum Break. It's 720p/30fps, which isn't a prestigious 'kingly' frame rate, btw.

Also I wasn't being disingenuous. I was overtly pointing out that you're talking rubbish.

Top Bottom