• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

*watches 1080p gameplay videos
"I can't believe this is console footage, it looks so good !"
*reads numbers on DF hands-on
"This is unacceptable, it looks like shit !"

That's not true at all. Look at any of the latest preview threads. A lot of us have noticed the visuals not looking as impressive as they used too

-griffy-

Banned
at least watch this video
it isn't even that bad

What the hell at that animation/shooting right at the beginning. It looks like there literally isn't any animation for aiming, he just snaps up into shooting position instantly. Dude is crouched facing left, then immediately snaps his body 180 degrees so he's facing right and aiming. Then he's up against that pillar aim around the left side of it, but the character is still aiming with his body facing right, and he shoots straight through the pillar. That stuff doesn't look great.

yEg0TGz.gif

What's the order got to do with anything?

They are not even similar games.

Point is resolution is secondary to whether a game is actually any good or not. The Order is an example of a game that looks fantastic, but is awful. Even if QB is 720p, it's irrelevant to the quality of the game so isn't worth getting upset about.

Salz01

A 360 game would never look as good as Quantum Break. People have already brought up Alan Wake being 540p.

More to the way a game looks than its resolution.

I recently played gears 3 again, and was still impressed on what that did on the system. Compare that to what those milky videos show of QB from a few weeks ago, and you would be hard pressed to think it wasn't running on 360. I'm not tying to stir shit, but I'm getting it on pc. I can't stand the milky filter that's on display in the xbone videos. Hopefully it goes away with the higher resolution on pc.

Gurish

Holy shit! It looked amazing but didn't expect it kill the X1 that hard.

PC version is going to be unbelievable, probably the most demanding and amazing looking game ever on a beastly PC.

This just proves that resolution isn't as vital as everyone thinks. Quantum Break is the most impressive looking game I've seen on the Xbox One so far. It's combination of effects, gameplay and overall level of detail really put it way up there for me.

evilalien

What the hell at that animation/shooting right at the beginning. It looks like there literally isn't any animation for aiming, he just snaps up into shooting position instantly. Dude is crouched facing left, then immediately snaps his body 180 degrees so he's facing right and aiming. Then he's up against that pillar aim around the left side of it, but the character is still aiming with his body facing right, and he shoots straight through the pillar. That stuff doesn't look great.

yEg0TGz.gif

This bothers me so much more than the resolution.

yEg0TGz.gif
The game play looks kind of dull in general. Flashy but lacking the kind of on the fly planning and strategy of max Payne.

Should have added a shoot dodge. Cover is not as fun as shoot dodge.

Theorry

When? Where? I don't think they ever talked something official about the resolution of QB.

Look a couple of pages back. 6 months ago there was also 720p debate.

"While speaking with Eurogamer Italy, representatives from Remedy Entertainment fully debunked the inflammatory graphics rumors. Rather than a 720p output, "Quantum Break" will reportedly run at 1080p with a 30 fps limit."

The game looks solid despite lower resolution. This shouldn't be a problem if Microsoft/ Remedy revealed it before. Clarity has been biggest issue with Xbox this gem. Nonetheless quantum break will be a good game. I hope it sells well.

Chobel

Look a couple of pages back. 6 months ago there was also 720p debate.

"While speaking with Eurogamer Italy, representatives from Remedy Entertainment fully debunked the inflammatory graphics rumors. Rather than a 720p output, "Quantum Break" will reportedly run at 1080p with a 30 fps limit."

its was in their presentation at a dev thing in 2015.

http://segmentnext.com/2015/08/25/qu...p-on-xbox-one/

remedy-quantum-break.jpg

IIRC that was from their PC build.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Haven't been following closely.... not what I was expecting.

Still in, though

Exlains the requirements.

Minimum:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460, 2.70GHz or AMD FX-6300
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon R7 260x
RAM: 8 GB
VRAM: 2 GB
HDD: 55 GB available space
DX: DirectX 12

Recommended:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690, 3.9GHz or AMD equivalent
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 390
RAM: 16 GB
VRAM: 4 GB

Ultra:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790, 4GHz or AMD equivalent
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 980 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
RAM: 16 GB
VRAM: 6 GB

Just want to know if recommended is 30 or 60fps, assuming it's for 1080p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This just proves that resolution isn't as vital as everyone thinks. Quantum Break is the most impressive looking game I've seen on the Xbox One so far. It's combination of effects, gameplay and overall level of detail really put it way up there for me.
I agree. It looks absolutely amazing in motion. It has flaws, but I think it's the best looking game on Xbox One.

timmyp53

yEg0TGz.gif

Giving me those max payne vibes. kind of reminds me of uncharted 1 corner exploiting.

nynt9

Well the gameplay videos looked good and no one noticed them not being 1080p. That being said its a shame they basically lied when they told us it's going to be 1080p

Presumably they've been showing the PC version.

Whenever there's a multi platform game, it's safe to assume it's the PC version being shown.

M.D

Not really related to performance but I feel like this game is going to be either extremely overrated or completely shat upon

Hesemonni

Banned

yEg0TGz.gif
Ouch. Looks really clunky.

The game play looks kind of dull in general. Flashy but lacking the kind of on the fly planning and strategy of max Payne.

You have clearly, clearly not watched enough footage of this game in action. It smokes Max Payne in every regard pertaining to planning and strategy. It takes Max Payne's formula and makes it so much better many times over. There's way more depth and strategy involved based on early footage I've watched, and I've watched a ton of it.

jayu26

yEg0TGz.gif
That animation was suppose to switch to show shooting from left side, but it glitched out, right? Right?

pastrami

yEg0TGz.gif

It bothers me that he shoots through the wall. I like it when bullets actually originate from the barrel and not the camera.

Game still looks great. It always looked soft to me (even from the first reveal), but I always chalked it up to YouTube compression and post processing out the wazoo. It wouldn't surprise me if the game really is running at 1280x720. I'm curious how it would look on my TV though, and just how soft it would look in person.

Presumably they've been showing the PC version.

Whenever there's a multi platform game, it's safe to assume it's the PC version being shown.

Nope, they've confirmed that some of the best footage available for the game was the xbox one version. Also, people that have play tested have confirmed they played on xbox one. And what's annoying about people focusing on that silly gif up there is that there are so, so many more gameplay vids and gifs that showcase things looking way better than that. We're ignoring the whole .

T.O.P

Banned
I'm playing it on both X1 and PC so i don't really care tbh

Alan Wake looked fantastic at the time so i'm positive Remedy ain't gonna fuck this one up, and footage so far looked great

Theorry

yEg0TGz.gif

Looks like it was by design.

This is actually by design; we transition to aim camera in a few frames so it feels responsive.

Gonna be great to read the comments on those that won't play thequipment game due to the rest. Alan wake was 540p and got shat on. Years later people still love it. Won't be missing out on a good game due to its resolution

GHG

Point is resolution is secondary to whether a game is actually any good or not. The Order is an example of a game that looks fantastic, but is awful. Even if QB is 720p, it's irrelevant to the quality of the game so isn't worth getting upset about.

This is not true though. Videogames are an input driven audiovisual form of entertainment. The visuals are always a big part of the equation, especially in a game that aspires to be a cinematic story driven one. Being 720p means the overall experience is somewhat compromised in comparison to if the game were to run at a higher resolution.

Standards and expectations have changed over time. If we are going to sit here and say that graphics aren't an important part of what makes up the overall experience then new consoles wouldn't come out, new graphics cards wouldn't come out and the whole industry would be stagnant from a graphics technology standpoint.

A flagship title being 720p/30fps in 2016 is far below expectations.

The footage isn't really playing the game correctly, like at all. Playing it as a cover shooter is the worst way in the game and doesn't do the mechanics justice.

Top Bottom