• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Neo GPU are point-for-point a match for RX 480

Calm Mind

Where is this 5.5t coming from all of a sudden? I thought it was 4.5 , did I miss something ? lol

Someone found a way to overclock the RX480 so naturally SonyGAF would assume that it would be possible and affordable on the Neo. Others think Neo will be $599. We can laugh at those people.

RX 480 is rated at 150W TDP. I wonder how hot it would run at 1.2GHz. AMD chips usually run hotter than the competition. Waiting for the reviews to find out (currently rumored to run at around 71.9C max (single card) which is only slightly higher than the GTX 1070 at 71.1C so still hot for its class)

Does anyone know the TDP and thermal ratings for the PS4 APU? Of course being an APU introduces more complexity as you have to cool both the CPU and GPU so running both on high speeds might not be advisable.

Shambala

O_O

I'm expecting more than one SKU.

I think it will be something like this:

1 - Standard PS4 - $299 (soon)
2 - Neo PS4 - $399 (enhanced version, better GPU and slightly better CPU)
3 - Neo PS4 Plus - $499 (better GPU and CPU, 4K gaming compatibility)
That's too much I think personally. They just need to keep it simple. Look at how many different ones Microsoft has right now 😪

brawly

O_O

I'm expecting more than one SKU.

I think it will be something like this:

1 - Standard PS4 - $299 (soon)
2 - Neo PS4 - $399 (enhanced version, better GPU and slightly better CPU)
3 - Neo PS4 Plus - $499 (better GPU and CPU, 4K gaming compatibility)

Why double the work for devs when you can triple it.

You have become my favorite insider at the moment. Giving me hope that Sony won't fuck up this "premium" PS4 by going cheap. $499 is fine by me. $599 too.

Dont expect Sony to bump everything up to reach Scorpio... sry thats not going to happen. And no im no insider, but Neo Devkits are in the wild, that thing is used every day now by Devs... Why is it so important for a lot of you now that sony comes near or surpasses Scorpio?

Why not just wait and see until we finally have some confirmation and more official details. And more important having really some games running on Neo Hardware before calling doom and gloom because some Flops are missing...

saskuatch

people seem to forget that the neo is coming out a full year before scorpio, even if it is 1-2 tflops less power, by the time the scorpio comes out the playstation platform will have something like a 25 million head start....developers will develop for ps4, I very much doubt scorpios greater power will become much apparent till 2019, 2020. I think sony will keep the 4-5 tflop range and murder xbox on pricing.

Where is this 5.5t coming from all of a sudden? I thought it was 4.5 , did I miss something ? lol

The hype train, and the RX 480.

For the Neo's GPU to be capable of 5.5 teraflops using a chip that has the same core count as the RX 480 it would have to be clocked at something like 1200MHz, I think it's unlikely but I don't know for certain.

Since the RX 480 is yet to release we're not sure about the TDP or the power consumption of the chip. These things can drastically affect the feasibility of seeing these clocks-speeds in a console.

The Jaguar CPU is also another problem, this incredibly weak CPU holds back the PS4 and it will do the same for the Neo too.
It can also get in the way of potential 1080p 60 fps gaming experiences depending on how CPU heavy the games are.

It's best to sit back, analyse and wait. The people hyping things are will probably be disappointed if the Neo's hardware under-delivers so it's best to keep expectations in check.

samar11

Someone found a way to overclock the RX480 so naturally SonyGAF would assume that it would be possible and affordable on the Neo. Others think Neo will be $599. We can laugh at those people.

The hype train, and the RX 480.

For the Neo's GPU to be capable of 5.5 teraflops using a chip that has the same core count as the RX 480 it would have to be clocked at something like 1200MHz, I think it's unlikely but I don't know for certain.

Since the RX 480 is yet to release we're not sure about the TDP or the power consumption of the chip. These things can drastically affect the feasibility of seeing these clocks-speeds in a console.

The Jaguar CPU is also another problem, this incredibly weak CPU holds back the PS4 and it will do the same for the Neo too.
It can also get in the way of potential 1080p 60 fps gaming experiences depending on how CPU heavy the games are.

Their number one priority should be heating issues not flop numbers. They don't want a situation similar to what xbox 360 went through.

I don't expect Scorpio numbers and don't care. PlayStation will still be superior because of the games. That doesn't mean it can't be significantly improved from the specs leaked a while back though.

Now we go into Fanboy territory...

What games everyone likes or not is a matter of taste. I dont care about almost all Sony IPs. They are boring to me and offer no MP stuff etc.
I loved the Ratchet remake and im interested in the Crash Bandicoot stuff. Besides that im more interested in having better Tech for the 3rd Party games like Battlefield 1. :p

If Sony can get a 5+TF Neo out this fall at $499 or less, then even my cynical self about mid-gen upgrade horse doo-doo that Sony is pulling have my attention.

You already have a $300 and potentially less console for the masses with the OG PS4 so don't be coming at me all limp noodled with this upgrade, you either go at me hard or go home!

Now we go into Fanboy territory...

What games everyone likes or not is a matter of taste. I dont care about almost all Sony IPs. They are boring to me and offer no MP stuff etc.
I loved the Ratchet remake and im interested in the Crash Bandicoot stuff. Besides that im more interested in having better Tech for the 3rd Party games like Battlefield 1. :p

If you say so. I don't subscribe to this fallacy that all platforms are equal and my opinion is all that matters when it comes to comparing them. If you don't care about Neo then why are you here?

Enjoy having better tech for Battlefield 1 a year late. ;) I'm looking forward to applying better tech to Horizon Zero Dawn, Gravity 2, Nier Automata, Detroit Become Human, God Of War etc.

If you say so. I don't subscribe to this fallacy that all platforms are equal and my opinion is all that matters when it comes to comparing them. If you don't care about Neo then why are you here?

Enjoy having better tech for Battlefield 1 a year late. ;) I'm looking forward to applying better tech to Horizon Zero Dawn, Gravity 2, Nier Automata, Detroit Become Human, God Of War etc.

Uhm Neo is rumored to release this year... Battlefield 1 comes out this year... so yeah. And until someone from DICE/EA says that Battlefield 1 will be Scorpio ready, i will play it on Neo. Because im pretty sure, that the game will be Neo ready.

Where did i say that i dont care about Neo? Seems like i hit a nerve huh? Dont be mad that someone doesnt care about the same games as you.

Averon

It'd be a bit strange for Sony to announce something so soon after E3. Maybe they will send out word that Neo's official unveiling will be at Gamescoms. Pretty much an announcement of an announcement.

reKon

Banned
I just want to play UC4 at 60fps. Is that too much to ask for?
Don't really care THAT much, but it would be awesome to see

I just hope Sony gets it right.

on edit - by getting it right, I mean having enough cpu power and bandwidth for a guaranteed 60fps at 'Ultra settings'

True. Leaked specs becoming official would be very disappointing, especially the CPU.

It'd be a bit strange for Sony to announce something so soon after E3. Maybe they will send out word that Neo's official unveiling will be at Gamescoms. Pretty much an announcement of an announcement.

This makes sense.

Hawk269

Since the development kits have been out there is not more they can change. Sony might just be thinking they need to say something instead of people speculating. I hope we get information soon. I am getting a neo day one. A more powerfull PS4 regardless off how many tera flops it can do is a good thing in my opinion.

BruceCLea

Banned
Since the development kits have been out there is not more they can change. Sony might just be thinking they need to say something instead of people speculating. I hope we get information soon. I am getting a neo day one. A more powerfull PS4 regardless off how many tera flops it can do is a good thing in my opinion.

Exactly my thoughts. The talented teams allied with Sony can do wonders with the current hardware. Giving them more breathing room is just icing on the cake. MS doesn't have the caliber of studios that Sony has, but there are some great ones. And I just play all 3rd parties on my PC(which is pretty much a Scorpio) plus with XBOX play anywhere...

Why are people so desperate for Neo to match Scorpio?

Why is this even a question?

Same reason misterxmedia and some xbox fans kept the hope alive that there was a discrete gpu inside the xbox one's power brick. Or that a slight bump in CPU clocks would somehow make the Xbox one's inferior hardware better than PS4's hardware. The same reason some xbox fans kept downplaying a 50% power difference between PS4 and Xbox One, or 720p vs 1080p or 30 fps vs 60fps.

Competition and fandom.

Hawk269

Wanting something better than the leaked specs does not equal asking for a maching that matches Scorpio. I don't see any one asking for that. Some of you lack proper reading comprehension skills or you have some other agenda.
Come on. You say reading comprehension yet there are many posts people hoping that they match Scorpio specs. Nothing wrong with that. I have a Xbox One aND a PS4 and I wish the One was a bit closer to the PS4. Nothing wrong with fans of one system wanting whatever is next to be as good as the competition.

So, the Neo won't match a console a year from now. So?

If you are into what Sony and MS are proposing, it doesn't matter. If this succeeds, then get the model after Neo or the next or next and next after that.

You aren't going to win for long with mid-gen upgrades going forward. Just make it powerful enough to make it worth a damn.

Top Bottom