• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Neo GPU are point-for-point a match for RX 480

Come on. You say reading comprehension yet there are many posts people hoping that they match Scorpio specs. Nothing wrong with that. I have a Xbox One aND a PS4 and I wish the One was a bit closer to the PS4. Nothing wrong with fans of one system wanting whatever is next to be as good as the competition.

Who is really asking for that? I'm not seeing it. I want the CPU upgrade and a moderate upclock on GPU. That is not something out of the realm of possibility.

So, the Neo won't match a console a year from now. So?

If you are into what Sony and MS are proposing, it doesn't matter. If this succeeds, then get the model after Neo or the next or next and next after that.

You aren't going to win for long with mid-gen upgrades going forward. Just make it powerful enough to make it worth a damn.

Pretty much. No one will stay on top on long with these iterative models.

If dev kits were already sent out it would be too late to make changes right?
Actually, Sony told devs that what they sent out was just a baseline specification, and was the minimum performance they would be able to expect. The original PS4 dev kit actually had a stand-in CPU itself (rather than Jaguar), and as far as last minute changes go, even some of Sony's first parties were surprised when they announced 8GB. So like Jim Ryan just said, maybe wait until Sony actually announce before you start debating Neo's merits and making comparisons to Microsoft's roadmap. :)

You are all crazy. It'll have 4.2 teraflops, it'll cost US$ 399 and it'll be amazing.
$399 would make PS4 seem less desirable by comparison, which Sony have said multiple times they want to avoid. Neo is not meant to displace PS4. House says he wants them side by side, with the price point of Neo reflecting that it's a premium experience. Shu refers to Neo as, "High-End PS4." I'd exoect some fairly significant product differentiation here.

Actually, Sony told devs that what they sent out was just a baseline specification, and was the minimum performance they would be able to expect. The original PS4 dev kit actually had a stand-in CPU itself (rather than Jaguar), and as far as last minute changes go, even some of Sony's first parties were surprised when they announced 8GB. So like Jim Ryan just said, maybe wait until Sony actually announce before you start debating Neo's merits and making comparisons to Microsoft's roadmap. :)

$399 would make PS4 seem less desirable by comparison, which Sony have said multiple times they want to avoid. Neo is not meant to displace PS4. House says he wants them side by side, with the price point of Neo reflecting that it's a premium experience. Shu refers to Neo as, "High-End PS4." Expect some fairly significant product differentiation here.

If Sony drops the price of the current PS4 down to $249-$299 then I think $150-$100 is well and truly enough of a price differentiation, especially considering that if the Neo is actually using an RX 480 equivalent then the GPU won't be costing Sony much at all.

If Sony drops the price of the current PS4 down to $249-$299 then I think $150-$100 is well and truly enough of a price differentiation, especially considering that if the Neo is actually using an RX 480 equivalent then the GPU won't be costing Sony much at all.

$100 isn't enough differentiation and the base PS4 is not going down to $250.

Averon

The current management of SIE are too smart to even get near $599. The Neo will be at most $499, with the vanilla PS4 dropping to $299.

Hawk269

Definitely... if you'd be okay with your PS4K basically frying itself lol
The Xbox One GPU had a 53mhz over clock from its original 800mhz clock. Nothing earth shattering. While Sony can oc as well, thermal then becomes the issue. They only have so.much headroom for thermals.

The latest leaks put the RX 480 at 32 ROPs so slightly different from PS4 Neo (36 ROPs)

AMD-Radeon-RX-480-GPUZ.jpg

(Source)

flops = ROPs x TMUs x Clock Speed
= 32 x 144 x 1.266
= 5.83tf

Yeah, if you run it at 910-1MHz, that would be 4.2tf. However, seeing how the PS4 Neo have 36 ROPS, it would take 128 TMUs to have it run at 4.2tf (36x128x0.911).

So in the end, it seems closer to the older designs but perhaps a mix of both old and new.

The latest leaks put the RX 480 at 32 ROPs so slightly different from PS4 Neo (36 ROPs)

(Source)

= 32 x 144 x 1.266
= 5.83tf

Yeah, if you run it at 910-1MHz, that would be 4.2tf. However, seeing how the PS4 Neo have 36 ROPS, it would take 128 TMUs to have it run at 4.2tf (36x128x0.911).

So in the end, it seems closer to the older designs but perhaps a mix of both old and new.

No, you're mixing everything. PS4 Neo is rumoured to have 36CU. Not 36 ROPs. I think AMD GPUs have an even numbers of ROP, based on the following: 4, 8, 16, 32, 64.

No, you're mixing everything. PS4 Neo is rumoured to have 36CU. Not 36 ROPs. I think AMD GPUs have an even numbers of ROP, based on the following: 4, 8, 16, 32, 64.

I see. My bad. Thanks for the correction!

I have been reading stuff all wrong today. I should get some break and a good meal. Cheers!

The Xbox One GPU had a 53mhz over clock from its original 800mhz clock. Nothing earth shattering. While Sony can oc as well, thermal then becomes the issue. They only have so.much headroom for thermals.
OG PS3 had a 380W supply… ;)

Yes, of course it was internal.

$100 isn't enough differentiation and the base PS4 is not going down to $250.

Why not? The current PS4 is almost 3 year old hardware and every year since launch it would be costing Sony less and less to manufacture. Take AMD's new Polaris line up for example, the RX 460 will most likely cost $99 and be as fast as a R7 370 which can output 1.89 TFLOPS, that's almost exactly the power of the current PS4, now keep in mind that the RX 460 will most likely cost $99 retail, Sony will be buying those GPU's (which will be included in the SOC APU's) for a fraction of that cost.

I am pretty confident that Sony will be able to manufacture the current PS4 spec wise (wether that means a more cost affective slim model or not remains to be seen) for under $249 either around the time of the Neo launch or early next year.

Why not? The current PS4 is almost 3 year old hardware and every year since launch it would be costing Sony less and less to manufacture. Take AMD's new Polaris line up for example, the RX 460 will most likely cost $99 and be as fast as a R7 370 which can output 1.89 TFLOPS, that's almost exactly the power of the current PS4, now keep in mind that the RX 460 will most likely cost $99 retail, Sony will be buying those GPU's (which will be included in the SOC APU's) for a fraction of that cost.

I am pretty confident that Sony will be able to manufacture the current PS4 spec wise (wether that means a more cost affective slim model or not remains to be seen) for under $249 either around the time of the Neo launch or early next year.

Just because they can manufacture from below that doesn't mean they will sell for $50 less. I could see $249 as a possible holiday deal, but not a permanent price drop.

Just because they can manufacture from below that doesn't mean they will sell for $50 less. I could see $249 as a possible holiday deal, but not a permanent price drop.

True, I can imagine Sony would drop the price during the holidays and then maybe raise it little after to about, say $279 until they release a slim model or the manufacturing cost drops below the threshold for that $249 price.

True, I can imagine Sony would drop the price during the holidays and then maybe raise it little after to about, say $279 until they release a slim model or the manufacturing cost drops below the threshold for that $249 price.

What are the chances PS4 Neo and PS4 Slim launch together?

SRTtoZ

The rational part of my brain is telling me it will be mid 4 TF, but I'm really hoping for > 5. The CPU also needs to not be a bottleneck of any kind. Oh and the marketing needs to be right. Tell people they can expect the best performance and fidelity at 1080p with high framerates and max settings etc. Don't try to pull the 4k buzzword out because it will turn off the majority of people who own 1080p monitors and TV's. I'm also hoping for a slightly different look, maybe even a slight increase in size for a cooler, silenter PS4+. Wishful thinking maybe ?

The rational part of my brain is telling me it will be mid 4 TF, but I'm really hoping for > 5. And the marketing needs to be right. Tell people they can expect the best performance and fidelity at 1080p with high framerates and max settings etc. Don't try to pull the 4k buzzword out because it will turn off the majority of people who have 1080p monitors and TV's. I'm also hoping for a slightly different look, maybe even a slight increase in size for a cooler, silenter PS4+. Wishful thinking maybe ?

No it is very much so possible. I'm cautiously expecting something approaching 5TF with a "Zen lite" CPU.

BruceCLea

Banned
Why is there such argument over the price? I feel like they're going for the top. If it doesn't work then they just drop it. This is completely uncharted territory. They can do what they want and change and still be be a hero. I feel like they're up in the air bc of MS

That would be 3 product launches at once. Too much...

Probably and I'm pretty sure we would have at least heard or seen some leaked information about a slim model releasing so soon.

I still think Sony will release a cheaper (it may not be "slim" but just cheaper and the same size) PS4 soon, but most likely early next year as they'll want to get rid of their current PS4 inventory in the mean time.

No it is very much so possible. I'm cautiously expecting something approaching 5TF with a "Zen lite" CPU.

If the architecture is indeed the same as the RX 480 then they need to run the GPU at 1.1GHz to achieve that; a 20% increase over the current rumored specs. While it is doable, they might have to use more sophisticated cooling which will increase their costs. Thermals might also prove to be an issue. Too early to tell.

That would be 3 product launches at once. Too much...

Yeah, it might also make the customers confused.

The God

Why is there such argument over the price? I feel like they're going for the top. If it doesn't work then they just drop it. This is completely uncharted territory. They can do what they want and change and still be be a hero. I feel like they're up in the air bc of MS

Sony's not invincible. They're the leader now but
they can't just do whatever and "still be the hero"

onQ123

(Source)

= 32 x 144 x 1.266
= 5.83tf

Whatcha talkin' bout Willis?

DesertFox

$549 would be bold, but with base PS4 still selling like hotcakes it won't be a big of deal. I expect $499 and it will run most games at 1080p/60fps including open world games.
I'm very interested in what price point Neo and Scorpio target. Will set the precedent for this whole shift to an iterative console cycle.

My guess is $499 as well.

HooYaH

I can see them doing 2 new PS4 SKU. Weren't they estimating 20m units for this fiscal year which is crazy? I don't think base PS4 + Neo reaching that number, but base PS4 (fire sale) + PS4 Slim + Neo will.

Tratorn

499 and especially 599$ (do people really believe this?) doesn't make sense for them. How do they want to differentiate their PS"5" in 3 years, that has to launch for 399$?
The same goes for Scorpio. MS surely won't sell that for 599$...

gatti-man

Premium sku. It would be fine.

But there were options with the initial PS3 release, but the meme that stuck around was $599. It seems like part of this gen has been the distancing themselves from the PS3 screwups. And that price was a major one. Here's the 8GB GDDR5 reveal thread where people were convinced that it was going to mean a $599 pricepoint

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514465

Seriously? $100 isn't much of a difference. Now it would be $250 vs $599. Huge difference.

Top Bottom