• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

If people keep denying Switch is a new generation, I demand Breath of the Wild become eligible for 2010 Game of the Year.

Ehh, I think it's mostly telling us that it's been under an hour since this broke.

Dude it's been an hour and probably Laura is the only one whose time zone is at a good hour.

Speaking of:

Thanks.
Now, it would be good to see other insiders that pushed the "current gen ports" concept explain why Nintendo decided to tone down the specs.
Disappointed because the hybrid concept would work well ONLY with a "ONE-like" kind of hw, when docked, imho.

And Nintendo positioning of Switch so far (very "home console" oriented") is way more baffling than the actual specs, imho.

I really hope for a January reveal able to relaunch the concept of "3DS successor", at 199€ otherwise this will flop way harder than the Wii U.

LordKano

This is good news in that it will accelerate Nintendo as as software only company. I'll be happy with Mario on a Sony system.

That's ridiculous. The overreactions here are awful. I'll stand out of this mess and come when people may regain their common senses, and maybe by then our insiders will speak.

Cleve

I think this is great for people that wanted a 3ds replacement, but I don't hold out much hope for people expecting strong 3rd party console ports.

Docked mode a lot better than Wii U - Yep.
Handheld mode a lot better than 3DS - Yep.
Price same/cheaper than Wii U and new 3DS - Highly likely.
Plays Nintendo Games Past/Present/Future - Yep.

Sounds good to me.

So basically all those Wii U versions of games that got canceled weren't because of power and more just the fact the user base was gone?

It's so Nintendo to put all your eggs in one basket and then make sure that basket is full of holes. Maybe they'll collaborate with Sony again when the Switch fails.

Dunkley

Definitely hoping for a sub-200 price tag, otherwise I'll wait until it drops below that.

I think however the specs are fine, and given the great first-party software output we saw on the WiiU and N3DS, having a unified platform that will have games from both ends going forward will definitely make it a worthwhile addition to my console library.

Peltz

Welp... Let's face it... This is a handheld first and foremost. This is the most graceful way for Nintendo to bow out of console gaming so I really hope they're shooting for $199.

The under clocking is just so aggressive and disappointing. Less powerful than a Shield despite running on the same tech... I'm honestly shocked this is even possible.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
At this point I wonder if someone will make the Switch OS run on a stock Nvidia Shield TV which shockingly is much more powerful.

Whelp.

Hype dead.

Damn you Nintendo, damn you.

You were hyped for something they've never had or said they'd have lol.

I seriously feel like a lot of "fans" here really grew up not knowing shit about specs and now that they do, they want to act like somehow Nintendo has fallen from glory and is failing them. After the gamecube, wii, and wii u, I'm really genuinely not sure what it is you expected. Did you think this thing was going to compete with a PS4 pro and also be a handheld?

Kssio_Aug

I'll say that people who unrealistaclly expected PS4/XB1 hardware, portable and good price, brought the disappointment to themselves.

KingBroly

Banned
Those tegra X1~ specs have been out forever, we never got clocktimes though. Now we do. What makes you think they backtracked on anything?

The Nintendo faithful just had unreasonable expectations. The machine is a handheld first and foremost, a standalone console pushed way, way into second place.

It's not that. From everything that's been said about it, what they're seemingly doing doesn't make sense unless they were promoting battery life for handheld mode while fucking over the docked mode. It's asinine.

Trago

From my perspective, this console was going to be a side platform for me anyway. And since I plan on using the handheld portion of the Switch primarily, I'm a little bummed that going with 720 means that the battery life may very well be ass. And at those clock speeds, I have to wonder why they felt that 720p for the screen was a good idea. Maybe I'm missing something.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm assuming with those specs this thing will be dirt cheap.
lmao, just like Apple with iPhones/iPads, don't except Nintendo to sell this cheap JUST because of the lower specs than what you can found out there.

Manoko

This fucking hyperbole is disgusting as fuck.
When we saw the first video of the Switch everybody was happy and at least everybody thought we would get a portable Wii U and that would be a pretty big leap over the 3DS.
The fans were happy with what they saw im the reveal trailer but suddenly everything is shit because of some specs, outside of NeoGAF nobody cares for. Thats the problem with some of you. You guys think the peoplr in the real world would care for such stuff...but they only care for games. If they lool good, then they will accept the device. And Nintendo is in the position to sell a weak home console as a fucking strong handheld. Well one side would always be dissapointed but that some of you are not capable of thinking like an adult is very strange to say the least.
Nintendo has showed the concept and that actually sold many people on the console...
And if they create some hype at january 13th this thing will sell well and Mario have never been running around on a Playstation, where the audience for such kind of games isnt there anyway.

Not everybody no.
Some people saw it coming from a mile away that we would be disappointed in the hardware and that this stupid idea of a hybrid console would backfire.

Peltz

What did you guys really expext. This is nintendo

We expected it to be at least as powerful as a Shield considering its using the same GPU technology. This is less powerful than that. Again, I'm not even sure how they managed to do that.

Hakai

I'm happy I kept my expectations on a portable Wii U realm.

People expecting powerful Nintendo systems are setting themselves for disappointment, I've been there done that.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The clockspeed is so low for concerns about heat issues because of the size of the dock, right? It's too small?

Dakhil

I feel like Nintendo of America already screwed up with the marketing of the Nintendo Switch, if the specs are true, considering they marketed the Nintendo Switch as a "home console".

18-Volt

You're overreacting.

I'm pretty sure that are MANY people really happy with Nintendo 1st party support. 3DS is a pretty damn good system and Wii U biggest issue is the lack of 3rd party support.... I don't see people complaining about Wii U exclusives, much the contrary.

Yeah, Switch may still suffers lack of 3rd part support, but if the price is good they may put together their portable (3DS) and home console (Wii U) consumers together, as well as calling new players if people adhere their play anywhere ideas. Their mobile games (Mario Run and Pokemon Go) may help a bit as well.

Coming from SNES and N64, my expectations are high and will always be like that. Wii U first party was extremely weak for me and cashing in too much on nostalgia. Mario, Mario, Mario. There were no genre diversity and Wii U become dust gatherer very fast.

If Nintendo fails to attract third party, they need to buy out their way in. Best Wii U game was a second party game (Bayonetta 2) showed what exactly Nintendo needs: More non-first party games.

I may be overreacting but I'm done with playing soulless 2D platformers, more Mario sports and Parties, quick cashgrab jobs like Paper Mario Wii U. I want to go handheld only and I want to play console quality stuff on them.

tzare

The only good thing i see right now about switch is having dual analog controls like vita or home console controllers. That alone could make it worth for a number of games

Can't say I'm surprised. The appeal of the device, for me, was always the consolation of Nintendo's team for one platform. So, ideally, it has a steady flow of games that a lack of third party support isn't an issue.

If handheld clock speeds are so low, then why the heck is the screen 720p? It should's been 540p like a bunch of people originally suggested.

I think 720p screens might be cheaper and worst case, running at 540p on a handheld 720p screen isn't that bad.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That's ridiculous. The overreactions here are awful. I'll stand out of this mess and come when people may regain their common senses, and maybe by then our insiders will speak.

Sorry, but if they nerfed down the console near to release and are aiming to position it as a home console (what we have seen so far) with these specs, I'd say that only a VERY cheap SRP would make me see this project as a coherent one, alongside the new iterations of the classic Nintendo handheld IPs (not only first party, but also MH, IE, Ace attorney and so on), not the few, poor and late "Skyrim" ports and a 250€ price tag.

I'm pretty sure the lot of us expected low end specs. Nintendo has done this three times already.

"Here's this third party game running on our console!"
"Look at all of our partners who are looking to publish their titles on the platform!"

It all sounds great and entices the larger, uninformed market to buy the console with the expectation that they can finally play their big, AAA titles on the platform but surely we all know that, like always, the specs will under-deliver and the tech-obsessed AAA market will ditch the console as soon as possible. It's a loop at this point. I'd say I'm disappointed but considering I already expected this, I'd be lying.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well it seems good for a portable. So it's essentially just an extension and repackaging of what they've been doing.

I agree.

Agreed, but the problem is, as posters have pointed out, Nintendo is marketing it as a home console.

I agree with this too. Thats why some of has said the biggest problem for Nintendo from a marketing perspective is getting ppl to see it as a home console. Some of us still feel its gonna be seen more as a handheld.

I personally don't care as I have no interest in third party Switch games.

This is part of the problem. That might be fine for you but for longevity it doesnt help Nintendo. Palm and BB had what some called the best mobile OS and best email software respectively. Low sales eventually lead to both leaving the hardware business. Anything that might impact sales for a Nintendo console shouldnt be taken lightly. Especially if they want this to be seen as a home console.

And 3rd party doesnt have to be multi platform. The Wii had many, many Wii exclusives. Some were my fav games on the Wii. Some of us also said this is probably what we should expect. Switch exclusives.

sounds par for the course, weak specs, tries to sell the thing as a unique concept.

I don't really care that much, it'll be a mostly Nintendo exclusive sidekick console for me. But it'd be cool if the thing was at least able to run some neat multiparty titles like Rocket League etc properly on the go.

This sounds better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely disappointing if true, but I'll reserve judgment until the reveal and specs are 100% confirmed. DF is more reliable than most, but we also thought that about Eurogamer (who were certain Pascal was the chip architecture) and Venture Beat (with their GFLOP calculations that aren't consistent with DF's).

We will see. Nintendo is able to squeeze a lot out of weaker hardware and I have no doubt their lineup will look and run great, but western third parties will seriously struggle with current gen ports if these DF specs are accurate.
EG was mostly right on the money and Rich would never post an article like this without incredibly solid sources. It is, unfortunately, accurate.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
DS was N64ish
3DS was GCNish
Switch is WiiUish with built in Super GameBoy functionality

I honestly don't know why people were expecting something as powerful as the XBone at about 1/20 of the size.

Tankard

Lol.

Well, one year from the launch i will evaluate how is the third party support going so i will decide to buy one or not, but i have my conviction this is gonna be yet another fail Nintendo console initiative.

Cynar

Never change GAF, keep having unrealistic expectations and knee jerk reactions without enough info.
That's how this started with people imagining it would be as powerful as Xbox one or ps4. It's a portable Wii u if we're lucky. Nothing more.

thefro

Clockspeeds alone doesn't mean a ton without knowing the core count and exact CPU configuration.

Better be cheap and have a good battery if they're down-clocking it this much and it's not as powerful as the Nvidia Shield when docked.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Those tegra X1~ specs have been out forever, we never got clocktimes though. Now we do. What makes you think they backtracked on anything?

The Nintendo faithful just had unreasonable expectations. The machine is a handheld first and foremost, a standalone console pushed way, way into second place.

Nintendo are the ones advertising it as a console first, so stop with that. They've never even called it a handheld.

Durante

Adding the Vita, with a 5" screen (960 × 544 resolution / 220 ppi), GPU around 50 GFlops @ 400 MHz.

So the Switch has 1.77 more pixels to feed, with just 3 times more GPU power than the FIVE YEAR OLD Vita. (And 2.5-3-ish times the CPU power?).
Vita is actually 28 GFLOPs.

Nheco

Well, it will probably be the only option to replace my beloved Vita near the end of it's life cycle.

I only hope that people stops expecting big things spec wise from Nintendo, ffs.

Lmao

This thing better be dirt cheap. I'm tired of buying underpowered shit at launch so that's it for me. I'll hop on either when there are a lot of games available or is on fire sale.

Zuzzissm0

While I really like beefy systems with top tier specs and benchmarks - I have to say power really isn't everything, especially when it comes to Nintendo. They were able to make the Wii U (which was grossly less powerful then other current gen consoles) and produce really great looking games at 1080P. with stable frame rates.

Still really excited for the Switch even if it is under-powered.
What was 1080 besides smash and Zelda Remakes?

Sorry, but if they nerfed down the console near to release and are aiming to position it as a home console (what we have seen so far) with these specs, I'd say that only a VERY cheap SRP would make me see this project as a coherent one, alongside the new iterations of the classic Nintendo handheld IPs (not only first party, but also MH, IE, Ace attorney and so on), not the few, poor and late "Skyrim" ports and a 250€ price tag.

There is no evidence of any last-minute downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom