• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing you can't plug an ac adapter while undocked for it to run like it is. Would like to play that way in bed or on the couch.

It would depend if there's a sort of built-in check that lets a Switch know whether or not it's porting into a Switch Dock, otherwise you can probably run if off a beefy powerbank with USB-C to get the same results.

MBR

Banned
Those 500 man years or whatever at Nvidia must have been the time it took for them to find a way to make Nintendo fall for the sales pitch.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Again this article is not confirming anything beyond clock speeds. It says explicitly that SM count and CPU core count/type are still unknown.

See, the problem though is that we've seen this story play out multiple times before. We know how it's going to turn out. The more info we find out, the worst it tends to be. Nintendo spec news always goes from high to low as time goes on. There is literally not one instance since 2005 where I can recall getting news about something that exceeded expectations.

LordCanti

So the WiiU is Krillin and the switch is still Krillin but with a bit more power?

It's like the jump from bald Krillin to full head of hair Krillin. The hair doesn't actually make him any stronger but it's nice for people that really like hair.

The hair is mobile gaming. I don't do any of that so these specs are a disaster.

sfried

Isn't it obvious? Moneyhats. Once those run out, they'll bail without a second thought.
If Nintendo needed to moneyhat someone, it would most likely be Ubisoft. The fact they have a collab game shows that they've already spent their moneyhatting funds.

So where are all these other ports coming from out of the woodworks?

RowdyReverb

Wtf is wrong with y'all. 199 is where this needs to be! This is great news. I think it needs to even be lower, honestly. A portable Wii U isn't so bad and this is probably more modern than that.
Pretty much my thoughts. I thought Nintendo games looked great on the Wii U even in 2016. I guess the concern is for third party support when the hardware is so far behind the Xbox and PlayStation consoles

On the bright side you'll be getting the full output of nintendo's developers on one system instead of having to buy two. Other than that I wish nintendo could just take on sony and microsoft directly without having to resort to gimmicks which ultimately make their consoles pricier without being able to even touch the graphics performance of the other consoles.

This is why I'm not upset at all.

Probably the main positive that both their portable and console first party teams will all be on one system.

But I think to be safe keep those expectations partially in check quantity wise as many of those handheld devs/teams have pretty much never made an HD level game and will need to merge or expand as they are about to hit the HD wall, so at the very least some of those teams will probably take longer to finish projects.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
How many would be willing to pay a premium price for premium performance if Nintendo were to make one?

Me! This guy right here. I'm just a bit of a graphics whore and I don't like handhelds. I was hoping that NX would be code name for the NES III. Something on a level with PS4 Pro. I'd pay £349.00 for that, no worries.

I hate to be that guy but, uhm, why didn't Nintendo make the device thicker then for more battery life in handheld mode with better graphics? Nintendo isn't Apple.

I'd imagine a thick device would defeat the idea of it being portable, no matter how much better battery life or graphics you could get. Personally, I'd be happy with a Wii-U level performance on the go and something about half of XOne docked. Third party support will come if it sells, as usual.

Interfectum

Those 500 man years or whatever at Nvidia must have been the time it took for them to find a way to make Nintendo fall for the sales pitch.

Those Nvidia engineers got a lot of Hearthstone and League of Legends playing in on Ninty's dime for sure.

BigEmil

With Nvidia low level API and optimisation to get more out of the hardware, simple architecture and tools available for easy third party porting no need to worry too much.

I'm still laughing at it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It seems to me that expectations are the real problem here. A lot of people when not given the full slate of information, just immediately hope for things that aren't really reasonable. How many would be willing to pay a premium price for premium performance if Nintendo were to make one?

Also, this is Nintendo. You knew what this was. When was the last time Nintendo put out a piece of hardware that was on the cutting edge of graphical technology?
Even at the absolute worst-case scenario, it's still a gigantic hardware leap for a Nintendo handheld. Docked should be pretty great, too, if the performance increase is that big.

Impulsor

Nintendo is marketing this thing all wrong.

This is not the sucessor to the Wii U. It's the successor to the 3ds with a "super game boy" attached to it so you can play it on TV.

It's primarily a portable console with the ability to be played on your TV, which is really neat.

They should market it like that and not the other way around IMO.

I think if Nintendo wants this to be seen as a home console they really arent trying to compete with Sony and MS. I think they want to be seen as a secondary home console company. Like how some companies in smartphone land were always seen as making low, mid range phones. Some recently started trying to get into the high end side but still...

But handhelds, they remain king.

Nintendo, might be time to focus on your hardware strengths. Handhelds. No shame in leaving the home console market.

Nintendo PR aside, I think this is them attempting to do just that while not admitting defeat. I am personally excited about the idea of Nintendo focusing their development on a single platform instead of both a handheld and a console.

martino

It's gonna be interesting to see how much this news matter after the January event.

Will the Switch be another Wii U flop because of its specs? Or will it manage to capture gamers in ways other than raw power?

i'm pretty confident dbz power marketing is also a part of current ps4 success.

imo if it don't sell a lot mainly as a portable with those rumored specs, it won't sell more than wii U because i don't see the big casual gimmick to sell it like wii and it doesn't have saiyan level required for a home console.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Some people also wanted the TX1 devkit speculation thread closed since they believed it to paint too negative a picture.

I think some of the backlash was because we had supposed "insiders" on the board (Matt, NateDrake, et al.) saying otherwise. I think that isn't unreasonable.

Yes, that's why Wii U has sold only 12m. Those people make up really small portion out of all gamer population.

And how many people own the 3DS? This is as much a sequel to their handheld as the home console. If not more so. Pokemon is all it will take to shift this thing - it's as powerful as the Wii U when undocked, and multiple times more powerful than the Vita. Look at it from a handheld perspective (their main earner and biggest market) and this is huge for Nintendo.

Shahadan

If Nintendo needed to moneyhat someone, it would most likely be Ubisoft. The fact they have a collab game shows that they've already spent their moneyhatting funds.

So where are all these other ports coming from out of the woodworks?

"all"

Skyrim and NBA2K that still don't officially exist

I expect Skyrim to actually release though.

Fbh

I don't understand specs talk. But from some posts in this thread I understand that this means that on portable mode it's like a WiiU and on home console mode it's like a WiiU 1.5?

If that's the case I can't say I'm dissapointed. It's pretty much what I expected from Nintendo.
If this specs are real I doubt it will be seeing much Third Party support in the west. With the Pro out and Scorpio comming, soon the OG X1 and Ps4 will already be the low end machines of the gen. I doubt many devs will take the time to make sure their games run on an even weaker machine.

Unless it explodes in popularity and sales it sounds like this will be another Nintendo console to play Nintendo games on it. Though now that Nintendo can focus 100% of their software output on one machine it should still get a strong catalog

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The thing is, playing third party games like GTA 6 or Battlefield 1 on the go could be a HUGE selling point to many, many people. With specs like that however, that huge marketing opportunity is gone.

So yeah, this is indeed very worrying.

Skyrim, the thread about FROM Software...this...

Makes you wonder just what kinds of 3rd party games will be on the Switch? And how will they look.

So many questions are being raised now.

Meh, Its still pretty damned good IMO. Down the line, I bet we could actually see some battery/fan peripheral that tricks the Switch into running docked, or there will be an upclock enabled in firmware.

The games look pretty decent at least so far, so I'm happy.

Matbtz

I recall people saying that about HDTV's when Wii came out, and 1080p ones when Wii U came out. All the games ended up looking like shit on my TV. Great.
I think the situation is not quite the same, the graphical bump is less noticeable from HD to 4K. Maybe it will have an iteration in several years or better an SCD to beef up the machine.
This sum up pretty much.
i don't plan on moving to 4K for another couple years. if nintendo were to try make a true 4K console it would be expensive. microsoft aren't releasing their 4K console until next year. the only "4K" console we have is the PS4 Pro and that can't even manage 4K in all games.

nintendo i think are right to aim for 720p/1080p.

True Fire

I think the most encouraging news is the fact that the Switch has multiple graphics settings, paving the way for a Switch Pro.

Isn't 3DS still doing great though?

Great isn't the term I would use for the declining dedicated handheld market.

I think some of the backlash was because we had supposed "insiders" on the board (Matt, NateDrake, et al.) saying otherwise. I think that isn't unreasonable.

Why do people believe such insiders when we had the proof that they don't anything - referring to that infamous Nintendo NX controller thread.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think the most encouraging news is the fact that the Switch has multiple graphics settings, paving the way for a Switch Pro.

Which is probably where future SCDs come into play.

Durante

Docked should be pretty great, too, if the performance increase is that big.
It's not so much that the performance increase when docked is big, it's more that the performance decrease when portable is big.

That said, at least the ratio makes a lot of sense for straightforward 720p -> 1080p scaling (which is probably what Nintendo games at least will do).

18-Volt

Isn't 3DS still doing great though?

3DS had much more than just Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. There's no guarantee that "more" would make an appearance on Switch.

And how many people own the 3DS? This is as much a sequel to their handheld as the home console. If not more so. Pokemon is all it will take to shift this thing - it's as powerful as the Wii U when undocked, and multiple times more powerful than the Vita. Look at it from a handheld perspective (their main earner and biggest market) and this is huge for Nintendo.

You are well aware that 3DS is 80 dollars right now, right? This thing will be no less than 250$ when it launches, it's not fair to compare both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom