• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Disappointing, but if this gives me Wii U graphics in 720p with better framerates in portable mode and a jump to 1080p in docked mode, then I still want it.

It doesn't. The CPU is better, the RAM is better, but the GPU is weaker than Wii U on paper and no more than 10% faster in practice. It's just a Wii U with better hardware that can play Wii U-level games with newer effects (not necessarily better) at 720p on the go and 1080p at home.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So how does it run skyrim? Or is it just that skyrim isn't very demanding? I guess that's how it is4k on PS4. Or I guess it ran on last gen machines...

This is my biggest question.

Not just Skyrim but some folks saying it wont have a problem running multi platform games, ports.

Lol Nintendo.

(That would be 153 GPU GFlops in portable mode)

The Wii U doesn't have 352. It has 176. (Yes, I know lots of places on the internet say 352, they are wrong)

But the money question: if it really is 153 GPU GFlops in portable mode, is it actually weaker than the Wii U? I understand GFlops don't always translate 1-to-1?

(Alternative post: I dunno about your analysis Durante. According to this rumor, sounds like it's just one great big Flop! Oh shit, you see what I did there?)

I was nothing short of crucified last time I brought it up that I called it that this machine would be about on par with a Wii U. So many people still expecting a portable PS4. Boy are you guys going to be disappointed...

No reasonable person thought this. None. And this is still more powerful than a Wii U.

That being said, it is a bit weaker than I was expecting.

Jose92

[Membe
Wait the WiiU GPU is 352gflops so if this is accurate then that would mean it is only a 60% gpu boost over WiiU when docked?!? Hell the iPhone 7 is 730 gflops ffs. That would mean the thing is equivalent to 80% of an IPhone 7 gpu while docked. Wow. Nintendo is seriously cheaping out on the HW. What a shame.

Usually in the mobile space they measure the performance of the gpu in the number of operation it can do half precision or FP16. So when converted into full precision the number is halved.

Being a Nintendo fan is basically the equivalent of being an Arsenal one. Every time a new system is announced I hear how it won't be too far behind and they won't make the same mistakes again, but in the end, it's disappointingly weak and we're forced to accept it. Just like Arsenal, I hear how it's always gonna be our season and then the same mistakes happen again and we're forced to accept it.

Wtf is wrong with y'all. 199 is where this needs to be! This is great news. I think it needs to even be lower, honestly. A portable Wii U isn't so bad and this is probably more modern than that.

I'm in the same boat, to me this is the Vita 2 we'll never get with sweet sweet Nintendo games!

WiiU owners and people who don't care about handhelds can be disappointed though.

Crossing my fingers for it to be really unexpensive.

So why slower than standard X1, but needing more active cooling?
Trago said:
If handheld clock speeds are so low, then why the heck is the screen 720p?
It actually works out pretty well if the intent is to make games 720p on the portable but 1080p on TV. 2.25x as many pixels, 2.5x the GPU speed.

Any explanation for non-engineers? When you mean "low" you mean "not even a Ps4" low or "not even scorpio* low?

You were expecting anything remotely close to the Scorpio? Forget the PS4, this makes the Xbone look like a beast.

That said, I'm happy with this news. I already have a PS4 and a PC, all I want from this is a cheap device that plays Nintendo (and some niche Japanese) games on a TV and on the go.

Why would it be actively cooled? these clocks on maxwell 20nm X1 are easily passively cooled in the Switch's area. The Pixel C with much higher clocks is passively cooled and has half the thickness. Seems really weird, maybe we don't know the core count?

Yes the article explicitly says they don't know the core count, they're only taking the "leaked" specs as indicative of the core count.

Either way this is all very odd. What do they even gain by clocking it so low if it's a normal 2SM chip? Battery life I guess? Then what is the point of having a fan in the portable at all?

Seik

Banned
We expected an upgrade over Wii U at least.

I love how nothing is considered fucking acceptable. If it were half as powerful a Wii U and we expected a Wii U sidegrade based on the exact info we've had up to this point, would you make this same post?

No I wouldn't.

Thing is, it seems to be equal as a Wii U when portable, which sounds acceptable to me.

I won't lie, these specs are lower than I expected though. But at least it's way stronger than a Wii U when docked, so at least if I'm getting 1080p MK8/Zelda when docked, I'll be a happy panda.

I hope it'll be 199$ US though (which will probably translate to 249$ CAD), because anything higher will be disappointing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We should need Matt here to see if his claims of the Switch having no problems in running "the vast majority" of 3rd party ports still stands.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well it seems good for a portable. So it's essentially just an extension and repackaging of what they've been doing.

It doesn't. The CPU is better, the RAM is better, but the GPU is weaker than Wii U on paper and no more than 10% faster in practice. It's just a Wii U with better hardware that can play Wii U-level games with newer effects (not necessarily better) at 720p on the go and 1080p at home.

More different effects too, no? Or did the Wii U GPU ditch fixed functions?

giphy.gif

wrowa

I heard that Nintendo allegedly told developers that Switch's power is comparable to 1.6 times Wii U. Would that description fit these clocks?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I had low expectations, but I'm still disappointed that those expectations are seemingly going to go unchallenged.

18-Volt

Merging platforms will lead to more software titles.

Yeah, like 3DS getting good third party support. Rumor has it Monster Hunter is leaving Nintendo for PS4 and when it's gone there will be nothing else left but Etrian Odyssey and Inazuma Eleven.

Seriously, this sounds like a freaking crisis for Nintendo. I hope they're paying western third party some very good money to keep them there. Otherwise NoA and NoE shutting down will be reality.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Seems likely that they'll be selling this thing cheap. Which is probably their best bet.

Out of interest, how does this compare with something like an iPad Pro?

iPad Pro has a 12.9" screen (2048x2732 resolution/264ppi). the CPU is an A9X which is dual core and runs at 2.26GHz. It's GPU can do between 100 GFLOPS to 1.5 TFLOPS.

Switch has a 6.2" screen (1280x720 resolution/236ppi). cpu runs at 1.02GHz. and it seems in portable mode the GPU should do 150GFLOPS. not sure about docked mode.

orochi91

If these hardware specs are real, then it would be borderline criminal for Nintendo to sell it at a price north of $199.

tzare

I'll wait for Nintendo to actually give us specs,but if true this better be cheap

This.
If is really underpowered price is key to deliver some success. Anyway if 3rd party ports are compromised because of power, Nintendo ips may be enough to keep it alive, but it won't stand a chance against PS4/XBO

LeleSocho

Banned
Can't wait to revisit all the posts now!

It's a race to the bottom really, I remember in 2011 when i said that the Project Café to be up to task should at least have reached the 1TF/s mark aaaah what fool i was... not even its successor manages to reach that level of performance (not that was i expecting it since the picture of the hybrid console was made clear).

Never bet on Nintendo... or always bet on their consoles to underperform even the most tragic hypothesis.

If they manage to sell this for like 175€/$ then i could be on board with lowered expectations but again knowing nintendo and the recent pricing failures of WiiU and 3ds i could see them being arrogant as fuck a release this for +250€/$

Kikorin

Anyway play on smartphone is a terribile experience, it becomes hot in like 10 min and battery life is less than 2 hours, I understand why they choose to have good battery life and comfortable user experience.

And this why I hate Nintendo, such low powered shite! 3rd party devs will not develop games with this crap in mind, yet again Nintendo are not 'getting' it.

Kssio_Aug

And some people thought this would be the beginning of a new gen.

Really disappointed.

It still can be. Not a new gen "graphically wise", but Nintendo Switch main selling point seems to be the convenience and portability, the play anywhere feature. if they price it right and people adhere the idea, it could mean a "new gen" in terms of idea, just like Wii meant.

Yeah, like 3DS getting good third party support. Rumor has it Monster Hunter is leaving Nintendo for PS4 and when it's gone there will be nothing else left but Etrian Odyssey and Inazuma Eleven.

Seriously, this sounds like a freaking crisis for Nintendo. I hope they're paying western third party some very good money to keep them there. Otherwise NoA and NoE shutting down will be reality.

I personally don't care as I have no interest in third party Switch games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom