• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Performance Analysis: Destiny on Xbox One

To people calling the gap "not huge". What is huge for you? PS4 is~40-45% more powerful and that is not huge?

In my opinion a huge difference would be 2x if the absolute numbers were higher. If the One was a 2TF machine and the PS4 was 4 TFs then yeah, that would be huge. Now we're talking about something like 40% in percentage and 0.5 TFs in absolute numbers. I don't think that's a huge difference at all.

Synth

San Andreas, the Timesplitters games, the Burnout games, Fight Night, Need for Speed and probably a ton of others were noticeably superior on Xbox.

True, but there were also tons of games that were basically the same across both (moreso than between Xbox One and PS4), and yet people weren't freaking out about them. There's a difference between something being "gimped" and simply not being "enhanced". Destiny's running at a smooth 30fps at 1080p on both consoles. Neither is falling short of the expected experience (made obvious by the fact that the PS4 version was good enough for everyone prior to the X1 version matching it).

I don't think comparing the OG Xbox is fair since the circumstances are way different. The OG Xbox was pretty much DOA in the market while PS4 enjoys a comfortable 2:1 lead worldwide.

So the argument changes from "I paid X for this hardware, and expect it to be fully utilized" to "I'm part of the larger crowd, so I expect to be favoured"?

rager

Banned
Glad I didn't waste my money on Destiny. I will wait for the inevitable sequel and hope that the PS4 is fully utilized by then. Enjoy beta testers.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
The hardware gap is still there, though. Microsoft can't wave some software magic and suddenly increase a console's power by 40%.
No, but to be fair (and as stated previously in this thread) MS can send engineers to Bungie and get the game to go from 900p to 1080p. If Sony had any issues with how Destiny was turning out there was (is?) nothing stopping them from doing the same thing.

Its a cross gen game and while the art is beautiful its not that technically demanding.

Games like infamous, kill zone, ryse, and sunset overdrive all look a fair bit better.

Don't worry, I will. I'm not a hypocrite.

And who the hell are "you guys"? I hope you're not trying to lump me into some group that I don't want to be a part of.

Not at all, I meant the people who do care about hardware being utilised to its full potential. As a PC gamer I am firmly in that group as well.

skyfinch

Wow, been gaming since the 80's and I've never seen so much bitching during a generation. As if time exclusive content isnt enough, you have to bitch that xbox one version has to struggle to get any where near the ps 4 version. Lol, what a fucking joke. You people need to spend sometime outside. It's a god damn videogame.

QaaQer

In my opinion a huge difference would be 2x if the absolute numbers were higher. If the One was a 2TF machine and the PS4 was 4 TFs then yeah, that would be huge. Now we're talking about something like 40% in percentage and 0.5 TFs in absolute numbers. I don't think that's a huge difference at all.

40% is significant in today's world. The next gen gfx cards from Nvidia are what, 10% more powerful than the 7-series?

eso76

It has already started, my friend.

Seriously though, why should Bungie be obliged to utilize everything the PS4 is capable of? I'm curious

Well the game is already held back by being cross Gen anyway, im rather confident it's underutilizing both the xbob and the ps4. beta looked good but nothing too impressive.

MilkyJoe

I am amazed at some of the responses in this thread. Everyone was blowing their load over this game last week, now they are both the same resolution team Sony has meltdown! Even though nothing has changes and they were perfectly happy with it last week!?!!?!??

eefac2c0a5e863d076c19e3f07cc55ae00b32c565839cc081fc4119528aecec6.jpg

It's pretty big though. That's more than an Xbox 360's worth of processing power.

At the very least they could have improved the AA on the PS4. They clearly decided good enough and called it a day. This game hasn't impressed me visually on the PS4 at all. Great art, but not a technical marvel in any way.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I am amazed at some of the responses in this thread. Everyone was blowing their load over this game last week, now they are both the same resolution team Sony has meltdown! Even though nothing has changes and they were perfectly happy with it last week!?!!?!??

What are you even talking about? Everyone knew about the resolutions well before last week.

Raide

Wow, been gaming since the 80's and I've never seen so much bitching during a generation. As if time exclusive content isnt enough, you have to bitch that xbox one version has to struggle to get any where near the ps 4 version. Lol, what a fucking joke. You people need to spend sometime outside. It's a god damn videogame.

So much this. Damn good game on both systems.

LMAO! Typical Gaf Sony fanboy comment.

Its a fair comment. PS4 is 40% more powerful than the Xbox one and both versions are at parity. The conclusion must be that the PS4 has not been utilised to its potential.

However, the article only talks about framerate and resolution, so we should wait to see if the ps4 has other areas which have been utilised completely.

QaaQer

Generalize much. I'd love to see even one poster who has done that.

KKRT00

40% is significant in today's world. The next gen gfx cards from Nvidia are what, 10% more powerful than the 7-series?

No, its not. 40% is not a big difference, in their power ratio.
And there are no next gen gfx cards from Nvidia. They are releasing cards in the same technology, in the same fabrication process, in the same power consumption as 7xx series.

Dragon

Banned
Personally I find the loading to be the biggest issue. The times are awful and seemingly haven't been improved upon since the alpha.

As far as PS4 vs XB1. PS4 is clearly more powerful, the 360 version looks a lot better than PS3. Seems to be a double standard to me.

People love their strawman arguments.

Lemondish

And there are no next gen gfx cards from Nvidia. They are releasing cards in the same technology, in the same fabrication process, in the same power consumption as 7xx series.

This guy thinks 40% ain't a big deal. Excuse me while I die laughing.

Keep fighting that battle.

On topic: if the 360 version performs better than the ps3 version then I find it to be a mighty big issue if the current gen versions are at parity.

flkraven

Wow, unreal. Glad Microsoft has enough money to chuck at their engineers to help 3rd parties reach 1080p. That's why there won't be a hardware refresh: Microsoft's money is much better spent on this.

pixlexic

Banned
The hardware gap is still there, though. Microsoft can't wave some software magic and suddenly increase a console's power by 40%.

That 40% is correct only of you took both the ps4 and xbone gpu and put them in the same pc set up.

The rest of the ps4 and xbone are set up completely different from each other and we don't know what the relates to in the form of usage.

Does that mean the xbone is just as powerful as a ps4? not at all. It's just pointing out the flaw with that 40% comparison.

If it was really completely 40% the ps4 should be pulling off 60 fps easily in similar games but it's not.

Personally I find the loading to be the biggest issue. The times are awful and seemingly haven't been improved upon since the alpha.

That was my biggest gripe so far

The start when you first move into your character and need to run to the wall - I was expecting a seamless transition from narrative to running to the wall.

Nope - peter dinklage stops talking - loading screen - then run

Stuck out like a sore thumb to me

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The rest of the ps4 and xbone are set up completely different from each other and we don't know what the relates to in the form of usage.

That's an exaggeration. All relevant parts are virtually the same. The only parts with bigger differences (like memory) show disadvantages for the XBO, not the other way around. That has been discussed and supported by developers to death over the last year.

If it was really completely 40% the ps4 should be pulling off 60 fps easily in similar games but it's not.

Huh? How should a 40% advantage in programmable GPU resources be enough to double the amount of computation? That's what you'd have to do to double the frame rate, leaving aside the fact that framerate is not necessarily bound by GPU time.

MilkyJoe

Well we have the ones that have said they are not buying it based on not utilizing the full potential of the PS4... They lazy dev gifs err... the re-ignition of the power difference argument, that you there yourself, Sir, participated in afew posts above my post you quoted.

iMax

I don't think it's that significant. I know it's a different example but there was a slide in Apple's keynote this week that said the iPhone 6 had 40% more pixels than the iPhone 5, for example. Yeah, it sounds like a lot, sure... and I know the math doesn't lie and all that, but in reality it's a lot less of a deal than it sounds.

Lemondish

That 40% is correct only of you took both the ps4 and xbone gpu and put them in the same pc set up.

Does that mean the xbone is just as powerful as a ps4? not at all. It's just pointing out the flaw with that 40% comparison.

And many believe it could if it wasn't for that pesky platform parity. Keep up.

QaaQer

A car that gets 40% better gas mileage: big difference.

A dude who gains 40% of his body weight: big difference.

A gpu with 40% more power: big difference.

But of course, big is a relative term and depends on perspective, so we are both right. It's in the eye of the beholder.

Hanmik

I don't think it's that significant. I know it's a different example but there was a slide in Apple's keynote this week that said the iPhone 6 had 40% more pixels than the iPhone 5, for example. Yeah, it sounds like a lot, sure... and I know the math doesn't lie and all that, but in reality it's a lot less of a deal than it sounds.

this comment..? what are you comparing apples and oranges..? (yes pun intended)

if so then allow me to present you with a gif that shows what 40% means..

a.pomf.se/ixxuff.gif

QaaQer

Matt said ps4 is better wrt cpu and gpu and memory.

It's clear to me that they decided on a goal, reached that goal easily on the PS4, then focused on getting the Xbone version up to snuff (which they seem to have managed, though we'll see to what extent with the actual comparison). It's still possible that the PS4 is doing some things a little better. Destiny isn't a graphical beast so I can't imagine it's really pushing the hardware. Furthermore, didn't Bungie state that they wanted PS4 and Xbone owners to have an identical experience? Granted, it'd be nice if they improved the AA on the PS4 version if they have enough room to.

I hope you guys will remember this sentiment the next time someone accuses PC gamers of elitism.

PC-gamer elitism is "Consoles suck period" not "I expect my more powerful machine to look better". No one would have a problem with the PC crowd if they limited themselves to the latter.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm guessing that Bungie simply had a target visual experience and that PS4 probably hit it fairly comfortably while they had to work at it for the XB1.

Wouldn't make the PS4 version 'gimped', its just that they didn't go above and beyond what they set out to do, which is fine. I play tons of games on my PC that obviously aren't taking full advantage of everything my rig can do and I have no problem with that.

iMax

this comment..? what are you comparing apples and oranges..? (yes pun intended)

if so then allow me to present you with a gif that shows what 40% means..

a.pomf.se/ixxuff.gif

Not entirely sure what that GIF's supposed to show...

I think the point still stands though.

decent pun

This is a ridiculous statement. Sony's ICE team is lazy huh. I've heard it all....

Did I say that?

Top Bottom