• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC 4K

agreed. 1080 @ 60 is way more important.
I don't think console gamers really care about 60fps as much as people on GAF do.

Literally not a single person I've ever heard outside of a forum has ever mentioned "60 frames." I don't think casual (i.e. Majority of gamers) gamers care as much about frames as they do "resolution" or just frankly "how good it looks."

spwolf

Nobody should be surprised by this. A £400 console cannot do 4K gaming at all, definitely not 4K gaming at the quality of a good PC. An upscaled image just can't compare.

A PS4 Pro will look better than the standard PS4 in most instances, that is the only thing to expect.

or we should take a look at other games coming up on Pro, that look better?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
that looks awful relative to the PC shot

I know the pro isn't chasing the PC market necessarily, but this is a year old game

relative to a high-end PC that costs way more than any console

I mean the game looks great on the Xbox One. It's gonna look amazing on the Playstation no matter what mode you play it in.

The Boat

Awww, do it for me. :(

I'm sorry, I'm on the same boat, I really dislike that everything is in video form nowadays, it takes much longer and requires sound which isn't always an option.
However, I realize that this kind of comparison gains a lot from the video format and I'm sure that a lot of work goes into it!

And according to Andy House this is with the 'smudginess of the OG PS4' removed :(

Seriously though, I didn't think those shots the other day looked too bad for the console it's running on, but this looks naff.

Crazy that they say the Pro is to stop people moving to PC, when the two best things PC gaming provides is better graphics at better framerates.

Pushing high resolutions on this console is the wrong choice.

Tagyhag

I wanna see 1080p comparisons, but stuff like this just solidifies my choice to not get a 4K TV until a few more years.

T.O.P

Banned
j75vIc8.png

McHuj

:(

I don't think RotR uses 8GB in PC even at 4k.

Yeah, but the 8GB on PS4 is split between the game, vram, and OS. The 8GB of PS4 RAM, probably translates to an equivalent 2-3 GB PC GPU.

Not increasing RAM size for PS4Pro, is a real big hindrance, imo, to it's 4K aspirations. (But secondary to the limited power).

gdt

This is fine. Why was anyone expecting very different. Seems like a week of Pro talk turned people nuts thinking a console was about to fuck with PC.

kjacobson

Neo Member
Man, that's just sad - not even just the PS4 version but the PS4 Pro version - makes you wonder if developers will just get lazy with the extra horsepower. The texture comparison is what gets me the most.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Love the Youtube comments are all over 1080/60fps better than 4k BS.

Is the same thing with Uncharted. If Sony had focused in 60fps, for games, in the PS4 Pro, leaving the 4K for videos, your new hardware would have a much better logic and marketing.

Marketing 4K is probably going to sell more boxes than marketing 60 fps if we're being honest here.

Yeah I expected it to look worse than PS3 too

skip1.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I imagine the 1080p Pro mode will look like the PC version but the 4k Pro sacrifices everything for the resolution.

Z3M0G

I expect PS4 Pro to downscale other features to hit 4K resolution.

I imagine the 1080p Pro mode will look like the PC version but the 4k Pro sacrifices everything for the resolution.

Exactly!

1080p mode, upscaled to 4K by TV, all the way!

This video is very well done, the production quality is excellent!

This also reminded me to buy ROTT on Steam since I recently got a new video card.

Wait, it's still $60? Hmm, I'll wait a bit.

marrec

Banned

No it won't. It'll likely look worse than the 4k Pro because of a lack of HDR.

It will be interesting to see what kind of "improvements" the PS4 Pro brings to a 1080p screen, if any at all.

Guymelef

This is the "4K" mode, it's the PS4 game with just higher resolution.
Games has 1080p with higher settings.

And that doesn't mean other companies can't go for higher resolution and settings at the same time.

No it won't. It'll likely look worse than the 4k Pro because of a lack of HDR.

It will be interesting to see what kind of "improvements" the PS4 Pro brings to a 1080p screen, if any at all.

1080 and HDR aren't incompatible things...

ghibli99

I'd love to see how a ~$400 PC stacks up to a PS4 Pro. The comparisons are interesting actually, but the hyperbole in here is rather childish. Also, aside from a few very specific scenes, as he said in the video, a lot of things are pretty damn close.

thuway

This looks really Damn good for a 399 console. Any one expecting this to look like the PC version running with high end hardware that costs double or triple the PS4 Pro - is being ridiculous.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This race for 4K on consoles is too soon.

At least get most things to 60fps 1080p with AA before moving on.

I agree, resolution upgrades should be done at the right time, with the right hardware power and tvs supporting it are widespread.

Sakujou

Banned
i would say the ps4 pro is the new xb1.

i would go over performance than res.

back in the ps2-days games were running with no stutter or jaggies.

they slowly retrieve this again,...

now devs, go and make games work on day1 and make less use of patches, and i might become happy again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm sorry, I'm on the same boat, I really dislike that everything is in video form nowadays, it takes much longer and requires sound which isn't always an option.
However, I realize that this kind of comparison gains a lot from the video format and I'm sure that a lot of work goes into it!
I know what you mean. Stuff like FAQs in video form are the worst when I just want to look something up.

Video is very useful for stuff like this, though, but also video is kinda the only way to actually survive on the internet. :\

Frostman

Because Sony is hoping to keep people from moving to PC or converting current PC players.

Yeah but this is 1 mode that is using the resources to reach the checkerboard 4K, let's see the 'bells and whistles mode' compared to PC very high settings. The pro isn't going to achieve 4K and increase graphic fidelity, that just isn't going to happen, it's one or the other.

That's the benefit to having three modes, as they are trying to Achieve 3 individual areas.

Want higher frame rate? Check
Want higher graphical fidelity? Check
Want to see the game in 4K(ish)? Check

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
People should watch the video before bitching so much. That blown-up screenshot is the just worst example. The other comparisons are more favourable.

Z3M0G

agreed. 1080 @ 60 is way more important.

1080p / 60fps / HDR

Would be incredible.

Those with 4K TVs can allow the TV to upscale to 4K which would look quite nice from 1080.

You know the Pro isn't actually outputting 4k resolution on any demanding game right?

That's what I would expect. I don't expect many native 4K games.

Likely why Sony didn't call it the PS4K, and why they pushed HDR so much more in the conference.

Bluenoser

OP takes extreme / worst example, and uses it to fit a narrative. Guys, just watch the video. Then come back with your gifs if you feel they are necessary.

Edit beaten

People should watch the video before bitching so much. That blown-up screenshot is the just worst example. The other comparisons are more favourable.

Jacob4815

So probably the "1080p high settings" mode of Rise of Tomb Raider will be the best solution.
But what if the developers will create only a "4k setting" and not a "1080p high settings" mode?

The games could run better on a standard PS4 1080p, and worse on a Pro 1080p?

BigEmil

That's why I said 4k is too early for console this gen to be in a $400 box. And don't rush for 4k TV aswell yet.

OP takes extreme / worst example, and uses it to fit a narrative. Guys, just watch the video. Then come back with your gifs if you feel they are necessary.

Edit beaten
Yeah noticed out of all the comparison parts he chose the most worst part where other parts of the comparison looks less worse lol

the ps4 version is much more temporally stable despite having half the number of pixels. i think i actually prefer it over the pc version. the shimmering in the pc version is egregious. makes a much bigger difference to the end visual result in motion IMO

I got the opposite impression, on the shield at 4:08 you can see more shimmeing in the PS4 pro version.

Top Bottom