• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC 4K

ethomaz

Banned
I think it looked good but the tech in others Pro patchs looked better.

I'm hyped for 1080p Pro mode.

And a comparison with OR PS4, 4k PRO and 1080p PRO.

x-Lundz-x

Wow at the hyperbole in this thread. It looks great for a $400 piece of hardware.

PC Master Race must be coddled at all times justifying their purchases. We can't have a console that comes close to their precious high end PC's.

How about we do a digital foundry with a PS4Pro versus a 400 dollar PC...that would be fun wouldn't it?

Exile20

It's just childish really. I'll be playing the game at 1080p 30 fps with all the bells and whistles. The game looks really impressive running on hardware probably less than a quarter of the cost of its PC counterpart.

Most people have a pc anyway and I bought my GTX 1070 for $350 and can get 4k @ 40 fps.

An i5 2500k with a GTX 1070 can probably get 4k locked at 30 fps.

Elandyll

Banned
For the sake of transparency, Dark10x, would you mind posting the specs of the PC used in the comparison? Or maybe a link to the page it's listed at on Eurogamer?

Thanks!

marrec

Banned
PC Master Race must be coddled at all times justifying their purchases. We can't have a console that comes close to their precious high end PC's.

How about we do a digital foundry with a PS4Pro versus a 400 dollar PC...that would be fun wouldn't it?

Damn tell us how you really feel.

PS4P is only $400; give it a rest guys.

That being said, investing in a 4K TV doesn't make sense now if one wants to do that for playing 4K games using PS4P.

Jeffrey

whats the reason why sony and ms are still cheaping out on the CPU?

with how popular open world games are, cpu is a must.

I bet whats limiting ass creed HD port to 30 fps is the cpu.

Are you going to connect the 1080 directly to the power socket and the screen? :)

lol true. Although if you already spent your money on all the other required parts then it's not that much to upgrade your graphics card. There's just something about the QoL features on PS4 that make it more appealing than my gaming PC. The ease of jumping back and forth between gaming and media apps, simplicity of hitting a button on the controller to take screenshots and record, the ease of setting up parties and messaging just have me buying more stuff on consoles even though the games cost more and don't look as good as what my 970 can do.

tuxfool

Banned
The same res and settings?

Probably better. On the pro you're rendering at 1440p but then your textures get all muddied up. That card has more bandwidth and vram than the pro.

It would be wonderful if all details in games came purely from geometry, but texture quality still matters. So the pro has the budget to render at a higher resolution, but not one for increasing the corresponding details.

Most people have a pc anyway and I bought my GTX 1070 for $350 and can get 4k @ 40 fps.

An i5 2500k with a GTX 1070 can probably get 4k locked at 30 fps.

Seriously? No way. Phones, laptops, tablets, sure. Desktop PCs? Absolutely not.

For the sake of transparency, Dark10x, would you mind posting the specs of the PC used in the comparison? Or maybe a link to the page it's listed at on Eurogamer?

Thanks!

Would likewise like to know!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This shot is much more egregious in my opinion:
This is a bit better, I think

30ac.png

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

It's a comparison thread on a DF video. If people comparing the 2 offends your sensibilities why are you in here?

Kyoufu

Looks fine for a console but not being able to see HDR in these comparisons is a bummer because HDR does improve image quality drastically.

The 1080p comparison should be good viewing as well when the game comes out but again, won't be able to see HDR in that comparison either. :(

Elginer

I think it looked good but the tech in others Pro patchs looked better.

I'm hyped for 1080p Pro mode.

And a comparison with OR PS4, 4k PRO and 1080p PRO.

1080p Pro mode is gonna be sexy. I wanna see more devs do this with the power of the pro. Gimme 1080p with all of the damn effects and as steady framerate.

Tagyhag

It's a comparison thread on a DF video. If people comparing the 2 offends your sensibilities why are you in here?

This ALWAYS happens when the PS4 looks weaker in a DF thread. You don't hear anything coming from them when it's an Xbox One vs PS4 thread.

But as soon as the PC comes it's "why even compare them that's dumb!"

And then they say PC players are the insecure ones.

JP

Looks really impressive. I still can't believe that the price is only £349.00, it could well have had an extra £100 on top of that due to the upgrade in hardware. I'm so happy with the price and what they've of the performance so far.

I'm really looking forward to Digital Foundry doing full on comparisons down the line where they actually have the hardware and games in their studio so they can do in-depth comparisons between the available modes and options. As much as I love super sampling, I may well be choosing the 1080p options with improved graphics. I'd need to try them all first though, before making a choice.

It's so good to be seeing these options being introduced , there have been a few games that give you control over graphical and performance options this generation but I redo really want it to become something that's standard in games.

Loudninja

Looks really impressive. I still can't believe that the price is only £349.00, it could well have had an extra £100 on top of that due to the upgrade in hardware. I'm so happy with the price and what they've of the performance so far.

I'm really looking forward to Digital Foundry doing full on comparisons down the line where they actually have the hardware and games in their studio so they can do in-depth comparisons between the available modes and options. As much as I love super sampling, I may well be choosing the 1080p options with improved graphics. I'd need to try them all first though, before making a choice.

It's so good to be seeing these options being introduced , there have been a few games that give you control over graphical and performance options this generation but I redo really want it to become something that's standard in games.
Yeah that should be really interesting

A 1080 is also twice as powerful...

I've said as much in this thread, keep up.

I'm just saying that for most people this is a great value proposition if they don't want the very best.

I say this as someone who is wishing GPU prices haven't gone so high in recent years as I'd love to upgrade my 290x and do some 4K gaming.

Boke1879

Interested to see how the 1080p mode looks.

That said it doesn't look bad at all. Of course it doesn't measure up to PC.

mattp

People that plays on PC don't need to buy the same games as remasters neither a full PC to upgrade. I mean, if you have a 5 years old cpu as the 2500K and you save the money of the first PS4 you can upgrade your gpu three years ago and now upgrade again instead of buying the PS4 Pro. A new $399 gpu will be a fucking great upgrade in your system.

show me a 400 dollar pc that can play games at ps4 settings
it has to include EVERYTHING required to play. including a controller
no mobo/ram/gpu/cpu combo without a psu or case etc like people tend to do

This ALWAYS happens when the PS4 looks weaker in a DF thread. You don't hear anything coming from them when it's an Xbox One vs PS4 thread.

But as soon as the PC comes it's "why even compare them that's dumb!"

And then they say PC players are the insecure ones.

Power doesn't matter now that the PS is the weak one, that's just how it works on the internet apparently.

//DEVIL//

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu-ST4ntGjc

Seems like it's using Xbox One quality textures, among other settings below Very High on PC.

tqGr0VY.png

well, while its bad compared to a pc . its really impressive for a 400$ console.

with that being said. this looks like PS3 vs PS4 -_-

just to show much PC game is way more advanced than a pc its not even really funny or fair to compare. one costs an arm, the other is 400$

Hugs his 1080 gtx and still buying the pro for the exclusives. not for tomb raider

ViolentP

If you want everything required to play, a TV needs to be included in your PS4 purchase.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Looking quite good when considered it is running on a resolution somehwere between 1080p and 4k.
I'm eager to see the "1080p/30 Graphics+" setting.

If you want everything required to play, a TV needs to be included in your PS4 purchase.
And so does a screen for a pc, or hook up the pc to the tv, so that can be left out.
He was talking about base hardware incl. controller and software. Just all you need to actually play a game.

How will you directly compare two platforms with such feature disparity? The price point you selected doesn't even allow you to play multiplayer on the PS4.

-griffy-

Banned
Now lets see what that scene on the left looks like on a standard PS4. Probably gonna look roughly the same, only the Pro version can run it at 4ishK. Then there's the 1080p modes of the Pro version too.

ViolentP

this is a fucking stupid comparison, and you know it
not even going to bother explaining to you why

No it isn't. You said EVERYTHING. So everything is not everything? The comparison isn't stupid, the way you worded your argument is.

GreekWolf

I'm thinking the 1080p/30 mode will have the textures and effects of the PC very high settings.

Frankly, I'm not investing in a 4k TV for another several years and will be perfectly content playing games at 1080p with all the bells and whistles.

mattp

How will you directly compare two platforms with such feature disparity? The price point you selected doesn't even allow you to play multiplayer on the PS4.

because that is a pointles comparison to make?
i was replying to someone that said :"you could buy a 400 dolalr gpu and it would be better than a ps4 pro"

if i wanna play games on my tv, how is a 400 dollar gpu going to get me anywhere? i dont have a pc to put it in
i just wanna play games that look pretty good on my new 4k tv

onQ123

Why would people expect the PS4 Pro to match Very High settings in 4K? you need about 8TF to run the game in 4K with very high settings. PS4 don't match very high settings in 1080P why would pro match it in 4K?

Exile20

Well a PC can do much much more than what a PS4 can do so there is value there and free online and better game sales.

Upfront cost of a pc will be more but it will be cheaper owning a pc than a PS4 Pro over a few years. Then you factor in when the PS5 comes around, PC can just upgrade the GPU a lot of the time. People are still rocking a i5 2500k.

PC is a bigger investment ofcourse.

Top Bottom