• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC 4K

BruceCLea

Banned
Were just discussing how much better PC still looks...lol half of the comments here are from people getting pro on day one most likely...

It's just childish really. I'll be playing the game at 1080p 30 fps with all the bells and whistles. The game looks really impressive running on hardware probably less than a quarter of the cost of its PC counterpart.

mattp

did anyone even watch the video, or are you all just kneejerk replying to that cropped screencap in the op?

also, the fucking ps4 is FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS
of course it doesn't look like a very high settings 4k pc game

so much hyperbole in here

not to mention you literally can't see the benefits of the HDR, which will make things look much more detailed

Can't help but feel like the missing lighting in that escape sequence is a bug of it not being implemented properly yet, especially if it was present on XB1.

Shame about the textures not being Very High though... Although I can't even use them on my 970 outside of screenshots anyway :p

That 8gb RAM holding it back?

Probably.

It's 5GB of usable RAM. At 1600p or so I'd guess, that's going to use quite a bit of RAM.

*googles*

We monitored VRAM usage at 1080p while adjusting texture resolution and have determined that the low setting requires 1.5GB of VRAM, the medium setting demands 2GB, the high setting 3GB, and finally, the very high setting requires a 4GB card to avoid performance hitches.

Yeah, it's probably RAM limited.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I do hope people are able to watch the video and realize that I'm being objective here. It's just about pointing out differences, not slamming the PS4 Pro.

Did anyone actually watch the video or just look at this one isolated texture on the ground and came to a conclusion the entire game looks like this? Game looks good in the video. Still not Uncharted 4 good and the animations suck ass though.

It's just childish really. I'll be playing the game at 1080p 30 fps with all the bells and whistles. The game looks really impressive running on hardware probably less than a quarter of the cost of its PC counterpart.

A PS4 Pro is £200 cheaper than a 1080 GPU haha.

Salz01

I feel lots of these comparison videos are theory craft. Comparing PC feed to a trailer. Wake me up when it's comparing an actual game running on PS4 pro against a PC.

Exile20

G3n4Ffg.jpg

Holy shit that looks bad. Look at the stones on the floor, look at the puddle.

In the pc version you can see the ripples but the PS4Pro one is like someone used a blur tool.

I think going for 4K is a waste of resources.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The comparison of the 1080p mode vs. PC should be pretty fun after all the "but 1080p" reflections in this thread.

A PS4 Pro is £200 cheaper than a 1080 GPU haha.

Are you going to connect the 1080 directly to the power socket and the screen? :)

In the pc version you can see the ripples but the PS4Pro one is like someone used a blur tool.

Keep in mind youtube compression. Obviously native 4k is not as good as 1800p or whatever, but it's still a lot sharper in real life than an Ultra 1440p video watched on youtube.

I'd love to see how a ~$400 PC stacks up to a PS4 Pro. The comparisons are interesting actually, but the hyperbole in here is rather childish. Also, aside from a few very specific scenes, as he said in the video, a lot of things are pretty damn close.

It's people seeing an easily graspable straw that conforms to their predispositions. This kind of stuff is pretty much part and parcel when it comes to console vs pc comparisons.

thuway

I do hope people are able to watch the video and realize that I'm being objective here. It's just about pointing out differences, not slamming the PS4 Pro.
Unfortunately, the majority of people in here are doing exactly that and it began with the OP. While I find your academic aspirations of detailing differences to be great work, it falls on deaf ears, to posts that lack nuance on the power and cost difference between PS4 Pro and the 4k PC running this game

Elandyll

Banned
PS4 Pro is better suited to higher setting 1080p anyhow.
It's also suited at gaming on a 4K TV as long as you don't expect to hit PC Ultra 4K settings on a $399 console that you can't even hit on a $1500 PC.

The salt of some entitled PC gamers towards the "Console Peasant pretending to do 4K" is unbelievable...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Such as?

(Genuinely asking)

From the video it sounds like many of the other (first party) games are doing a better job with their resolution.

I don't know if we should be too critical of Tomb Raider though. It sounds like it's a big jump over what you could previously get on console in the game.

It might be nice if one of the better upscaling techniques could be applied to Tomb Raider successfully though. I'm guessing first parties are slightly earlier adopters of whatever techniques Sony might be pushing to devs.

thuway

It's also suited at gaming on a 4K TV as long as you don't expect to hit PC Ultra 4K settings on a $399 console that you can't even hit on a $1500 PC.

The salt of some entitled PC gamers towards the "Console Peasant pretending to do 4K" is unbelievable...
It's not just PC gamers, I think a lot of console gamers expect 4K PC levels of performance and details without any sort of understanding of just what it entails to get Rise of the Tomb Raider running with the settings on that PC port.

Since everyone just wants to shit on this, I'll leave this quote from the DF article here:
Bearing in mind what we're seeing here is coming from a £349/$399 box, it's definitely an impressive showing bearing in mind the high calibre hardware required to get an equivalent native 4K experience on PC.

If anyone thought these should be equivalent, they are being intentionally obtuse.

tuxfool

Banned
G3n4Ffg.jpg

I wouldn't call that "bad". Yes, it is a lower fidelity, but it is fine.

The texture quality and the fewer lights are the more egregious examples.

Frostman

The comparison of the 1080p mode vs. PC should be pretty fun after all the "but 1080p" reflections in this thread.

I am one of the ones bringing up the 1080p mode purely because that should be a closer comparison.

But that is purely based off the interview with CD.

G3n4Ffg.jpg

Other than the worse looking reflection (and maybe LOD) on PS4 Pro version, I honestly can't see the difference, especially of what you mentioned.

I'm not doubting you, I'm doubting Zenimax for that bold claim.

Nah man i think the video was good. You seemed pretty impressed with the console version overall. How much did the pc used in the video cost?

Are you going to connect the 1080 directly to the power socket and the screen? :)

Is it? Cheapest I could find atm was £648, and that's just a GPU. The price of the pro is great, especially for what you get.

I thought it was £550! Jesus...

My post was pointing out the INSANE value of a PS4 Pro for most people. If I wanted to do 4K gaming in my PC (I have a 290x so not really possible right now) I'd have to pay double the price to get a 1080.

And yeah it would be much better quality but the vast majority of people who don't do PC gaming won't know/care about that.

Zedox

I guess I must not be a graphic caring type of person because to me the PS4 Pro looks awesome compared to a PC for 4K. It's what I would expect, the PC having more high quality but the difference (to me) is negligible.

G3n4Ffg.jpg

From what I have been seeing and reading they have said that the checkerboard upscaling is done via hardware in the PS4 Pro adn does not take up resources.

tuxfool

Banned
I thought it was £550! Jesus...

My post was pointing out the INSANE value of a PS4 Pro for most people. If I wanted to do 4K gaming in my PC (I have a 290x so not really possible right now) I'd have to pay double the price to get a 1080.

And yeah it would be much better quality but the vast majority of people who don't do PC gaming won't know/care about that.

No. If you wanted to run games at the same settings as a PS4 pro, all you'd need is a rx480.

Texture quality definitely stands out to me. The fact that it's apparently just the difference between "High" and "Very High" seems kinda staggering.

I think people are kind of missing the point of "compete with PC" stand that Sony seems to be taking with this machine.

Absolutely do not think Sony is stupid enough to think that their console actually matches the technical capabilities of a gaming PC, but I think they targeted a spec where the pricepoint and the actual technical capabilities of the machine could potentially deter a consumer from entering the PC space. A lot of the argument in this thread alone seems pretty cool with just shrugging off the fact that 4K native rendering+Very High preset capable PC for Rise of the Tomb Raider ain't gonna be cheap. Sure, the console version has obvious settings turned down, as console versions have historically very often had, but I think for $400, a machine that can work its way up to a mostly clean 4K image output, and maybe medium PC presets is fine compared to the cost a 4K native+Very High preset PC is going to cost you. Is the latter superior? Absolutely! Is the former a good trade off at just $400? ... I really think that's an "absolutely," too.

No. If you wanted to run games at the same settings as a PS4, all you'd need is a rx480.

I'm not talking about the same settings, I'm talking about a proper 4K experience with all the bells and whistles.

I could squeeze 4K out of my 290x now but it wouldn't be a great experience!

MaLDo

did anyone even watch the video, or are you all just kneejerk replying to that cropped screencap in the op?

also, the fucking ps4 is FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS
of course it doesn't look like a very high settings 4k pc game

so much hyperbole in here

not to mention you literally can't see the benefits of the HDR, which will make things look much more detailed

People that plays on PC don't need to buy the same games as remasters neither a full PC to upgrade. I mean, if you have a 5 years old cpu as the 2500K and you save the money of the first PS4 you can upgrade your gpu three years ago and now upgrade again instead of buying the PS4 Pro. A new $399 gpu will be a fucking great upgrade in your system.

Exile20

Other than the worse looking reflection (and maybe LOD) on PS4 Pro version, I honestly can't see the difference, especially of what you mentioned.

I'm not doubting you, I'm doubting Zenimax for that bold claim.

I am sure anyone that buys a PS4Pro will be delighted but when you put things side by side. The issues hits you in the face hard. To me it look pretty terrible in context of the PC version but I am sure no one will be running these two side by side in their home.

When Sony was going after the console market it was fine. Nintendo, Sony and MS but now they are trying to nip at the heels of PC then you are going to see a lot of these kinds of comparisons.

It's not just PC gamers, I think a lot of console gamers expect 4K PC levels of performance and details without any sort of understanding of just what it entails to get Rise of the Tomb Raider running with the settings on that PC port.

Mix that in with a healthy group of people here who don't have 4k displays, and therefore feel they should call 4k a waste, and the environment around the PS4 Pro reaches these wonderfully toxic levels.

MUnited83

For you.
A PC with equivalent specs isnt 4x the price, no.

Tagyhag

Top Bottom