• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Unreal Engine 4 PS4 vs. PC

The real question is why remove a software feature that will eventually be possible with future hardware? The only reason is to simplify the toolchain to make it easier for code on one platform to work on all supported platforms.

You should ask Mark Rein, it's easy to get a hold of him on twitter.

Hey, someone finally gets it!

But graphics cards already have faster memory than what's in the PS4, and much larger amounts of general purpose ram. 8GB will never be used to it's "full" potential because a large portion of that data is going to be things that don't need that bandwidth, but has to be shared because of the architecture.

omonimo

Banned
Wait a minute... no GI with 8 GDDR5? The hell it's happened? :\ I'm a bit confused.
8GB will never be used to it's "full" potential because a large portion of that data is going to be things that don't need that bandwidth, but has to be shared because of the architecture.
Can you be more specific, because I have missed the point.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But graphics cards already have faster memory than what's in the PS4, and much larger amounts of general purpose ram. 8GB will never be used to it's "full" potential because a large portion of that data is going to be things that don't need that bandwidth, but has to be shared because of the architecture.
You say that as if split memory design is preferable even though that was the big win of the 360 and what the top priority for the PS4 was based on developer input.

sTeLioSco

Banned
It's absurd that PC gamers are held up as the bastion of rationality. Those that self-identify as this are equally susceptible to human cognitive biases as any other random group.

pc gamers after losing the dominance of gaming to consoles and now tablet/smartphones are becoming irrational....

when new consoles will come to the market and reaffirm that pc gaming is niche,they rally up the wagons to defend their niche hobby.

along with few companies invested in pc gaming like nvidia they behave like any other minority threw down swiftly from their pedestal would....

its simple really...

Wait a minute... no GI with 8 GDDR5? The hell it's happened? :\ I'm a bit confused.

Durante... can you please bump your thread or something.

Also.. to reiterate what I said on the other page:

SVOGI was not taking up 50% of the resources of a GTX 680. Rather compute functions (GPGPU for all you 8 GB GDDR5er's out there) were taking up 50% of resources. That includes those crazy particle effects showcased among other things. General compute functions are actually used for a lot of graphical "stuff" showcased in the demo.

Wait a minute... no GI with 8 GDDR5? The hell it's happened? : I'm a bit confused.

You got played.

pc gamers after losing the dominance of gaming to consoles and now tablet/smartphones are becoming irrational....

when new consoles will come to the market and reaffirm that pc gaming is niche,they rally up the wagons to defend their niche hobby.

along with few companies invested in pc gaming like nvidia they behave like any other minority threw down swiftly from their pedestal would....

its simple really...

This guy gets it...........................

its simple really...

You really are out of your mind.

sTeLioSco

Banned
I hope no one buys this as it's a bad troll if I ever seen one. I'm an axepert.

when desktop pc sales are declining swiftly,you tell me when pcs with 8gb gddrm will become mainstream so a publisher can make a pc exclusive to use such specs....

never. games for pc are build around 500$ laptops(your mass pc market.f2p,mmos) and are ports from consoles that define AAA gaming.if it can sell on consoles,it will be made and then maybe ported on pc.

hope gtaV make it.
like red dead redemption did.games like this shouldn't miss master race gaming.....

Did that infiltrator demo use SVOGI? That's the real questions, because it looked like Final Fantasy The Spirits Within...who cares about SVOGI, if UE4 games look that good on PC?!

its simple really...

8/10 needs RAM references

If you're on a budget, no PC in the next 5 years will beat the PS4's price/performance ratio. I have a 680 but will be glad to buy a PS4 for amazing exclusive games.

BlackJace

its simple really...

Did this man really just call PC gaming niche?

Kariodude

Banned
They acknowledge that the PS4 will improve the longer that devs have to work on with it, but then they forgot to mention that a current PC will be outdated in a year. So even then the PS4 will still be behind PCs.

Stitch

Gold Member

its simple really...

atNvAkW.gif

I love satire

omonimo

Banned
If you're on a budget, no PC in the next 5 years will beat the PS4's price/performance ratio. I have a 680 but will be glad to buy a PS4 for amazing exclusive games.
Most of the 'normal' people I imagine we don't notice this... but I'm surprised how much expensive are the new graphic tech. It's almost absurd.

dino1980

Durante: Do you know how the situation are and will be with the two following things for Unreal engine 4?

Do the PC version of Unreal engine 4 have real-time global illumination?
And will games made for PS4 with Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination be pausible to port to PC and instead use real-time global illumination?

faridmon

Isn't a bit early to do that kind of face off when the actual console is out and the Engine can further be developed? Or is there some sort finality to the actual engine which be of use for this kind feature?

Durante

its simple really...
Yes, it's really simple. Until now, PC gaming was totally mainstream, but with the new consoles this will stop, obviously because the new consoles will instantly define the mainstream as they'll sell tens of millions at launch. Also PC gamers are incredibly worried about the health of their platform, because recent developments (i.e. more "AAA" games than ever getting ported, dead genres and mid-sized development being revitalized by the success of crowdfunding on the platform, being the birthplace of new genres and distribution models, and both major publishers as well as indie developers praising its opportunities) indicate an imminent threat. No wonder those basement-dwelling PC extremists are going crazy!

Do the PC version of Unreal engine 4 have real-time global illumination?
And will games made for PS4 with Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination be pausible to port to PC and instead use real-time global illumination?
This was discussed previously in the thread. It seems very unlikely that any single game would be developed to support both, they are too different in principle.

Did that infiltrator demo use SVOGI? That's the real questions, because it looked like Final Fantasy The Spirits Within...who cares about SVOGI, if UE4 games look that good on PC?!

Lighting seemed pretty muted in the demo. Very consistant but showed nothing startling, so I kind of doubt it. But really, I agree with you. That demo completely blew away the original Elemental demo. As an aesthetic piece, it was a little bit lackluster.

omonimo

Banned
Early adopter tax. Same with any high-technology good.
You means should be optimized with the time passed? I really hope so, because I know someone here could to differ, but 8 GB of GDDR 5 & 176 GB of main bandwith isn't so low standard in my opinion.

Isn't a bit early to do that kind of face off when the actual console is out and the Engine can further be developed? Or is there some sort finality to the actual engine which be of use for this kind feature?

It's a bit early, but it's still a nice discussion to have.

Yes, it's really simple. Until now, PC gaming was totally mainstream, but with the new consoles this will stop, obviously because the new consoles will instantly define the mainstream as they'll sell tens of millions at launch. Also PC gamers are incredibly worried about the health of their platform, because recent developments (i.e. more "AAA" games than ever getting ported, dead genres and mid-sized development being revitalized by the success of crowdfunding on the platform, being the birthplace of new genres and distribution models, and both major publishers as well as indie developers praising its opportunities) indicate an imminent threat. No wonder those PC extremists are going crazy!

He's either trolling or he's deluded. Either way, no point wasting your time replying to him.

You means should be optimized with the time passed? I really hope so, because I know someone here could to differ, but 8 GB of GDDR 5 & 176 GB of main bandwith isn't so low standard in my opinion.

Oh, you meant computationally expensive. Yeah, optimisation might reduce its computational cost, but in 2-3 years newer cards should have plenty of spare power to tackle it.

Lighting seemed pretty muted in the demo. Very consistant but showed nothing startling, so I kind of doubt it. But really, I agree with you. That demo completely blew away the original Elemental demo. As an aesthetic piece, it was a little bit lackluster.

Good :D Who needs SVOGI if UE4 games can look that good on PC? I'd rather max it out and run it at 60 FPS

Low!! Man, you need to stop listening to PC evangelists. I can guarantee you that PCs won't even smell 8GB of GDDR5 RAM for at least 4-6 years, PS4 is simply on another level to what is expected of PC. We've had many devs espouse the benefits of 8GB GDDR5 RAM and how it will revolutionise gaming, how many have you heard say the same about the nvidia Titan? Exactly.

Oh. My.

I would also not cast SVOGI as absurd in terms of performance.

Seems reasonable to me that real time indirect lighting that is accurate (color bleed, glossy reflections) would be expensive in terms of performance.

Low!! Man, you need to stop listening to PC evangelists. I can guarantee you that PCs won't even smell 8GB of GDDR5 RAM for at least 4-6 years, PS4 is simply on another level to what is expected of PC. We've had many devs espouse the benefits of 8GB GDDR5 RAM and how it will revolutionise gaming, how many have you heard say the same about the nvidia Titan? Exactly.

?!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sure, I guess they get a better deal then.

Do you know how a publisher pays for it in comparison then? Is it a flat fee for a dev to use the engine? A per game basis?

I thought that 25% was pretty fucking disgusting to be honest, though I'm sure many will disagree.
You should actually do some research before getting all hot and bothered.

RooMHM

Because Titan never was presented as a revolution to begin with?

dino1980

This was discussed previously in the thread. It seems very unlikely that any single game would be developed to support both, they are too different in principle.

Ok,so its not like todays games where you can slap on Tessellation with a dx11-card on a console-port. Little bit bummed if this is the case, was really looking forward to see realtime global illumination in most of the games.

Ok,so its not like todays games where you can slap on Tessellation with a dx11-card on a console-port. Little bit bummed if this is the case, was really looking forward to see realtime global illumination in most of the games.

I imagine it'd be like PhysX, something that takes a little more effort on the developer's end. Though it should hopefully prove more common.

Implementing real GI would essentially mean rebalancing the lighting in every single scene in the game if I'm not mistaken, I'd say it's pretty unlikely anyone will bother sadly.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm pretty sure it wasn't - you have the list of features used in that demo on geforce.com, and it says it's using their new IES profiles for lighting, which is the previously mentioned combination of static and dynamic GI. IMO, the new demo just shows how much of a resource hog that lighting was, with not enough visual impact, because everyone and their mother is blown away by how much better the new demo looks.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't - you have the list of features used in that demo on geforce.com, and it says it's using their new IES profiles for lighting, which is the previously mentioned combination of static and dynamic GI. IMO, the new demo just shows how much of a resource hog that lighting was, with not enough visual impact, because everyone and their mother is blown away by how much better the new demo looks.

Now that's amazing!! Now I am excited about UE4 again!

sTeLioSco

Banned
Yes, it's really simple. Until now, PC gaming was totally mainstream, but with the new consoles this will stop, obviously because the new consoles will instantly define the mainstream as they'll sell tens of millions at launch. Also PC gamers are incredibly worried about the health of their platform, because recent developments (i.e. more "AAA" games than ever getting ported, dead genres and mid-sized development being revitalized by the success of crowdfunding on the platform, being the birthplace of new genres and distribution models, and both major publishers as well as indie developers praising its opportunities) indicate an imminent threat. No wonder those basement-dwelling PC extremists are going crazy!

Tell me a big budget pc exclusive that isn't a mmo or ftp....

studios like From software don't even bother to put some effort on their pc ports and expect those that buy their games to fix them. such great market.

hope you are lucky so you can get to fix Dark souls 2 at-least.....
just recompile your game

Coolwhip

Banned

No, this can't be real.

studios like From software don't even bother to put some effort on their pc ports and expect those that buy their games to fix them. such great market.

just recompile your game

iyRMcvx71aU6P.gif

just recompile your game

They released a game identical to its console counterparts. The beauty of the PC platform is freedom, and people like Durante are able to fix a game so that it meets the higher standards many have. If anything you highlighted one of the greatest assets to PC gaming, its community. Fixes, mods, dedicated servers, indie games... the PC community will ensure that the platform continues to thrive.

Triple U

Banned
This is wrong, but I have a feeling it's pointless to have this discussion, so thanks for saving me the time looking those threads up for you. =D
LOL wtf is this. If you have a retort, post it. You're not doing me any favors pal. Especially not by dangling supposed info in my face.

If you think they have to go through a "testing regime" for the ALUs by "feeding MADDs" to it once they have an entire GPU on their hands to see if it can "do these three flops within the clock at an acceptable rate" then I really have nothing more to say to you.

So can you point out any particular deficiencies regarding threads in Windows that lead to the massive overheads you describe and which are not easily circumvented at the application level in a game setting? Or does your knowledge only extend to throwing around buzzwords?
I oversimplified by saying card and thats my bad but if you to, we get into it. During the design phase of a shader core, the alus are extensively tested for their throughput and relative consistency. No ALU is the same, nor are they measured the same but a MADD operation is by far the most common arithmetic chosen .

As far as good ole windows goes, my knowledge doesn't go past my studies which were all centered around Vista. How much of this is still true two OS' later is beyond me but AFIK Windows is using RR for scheduling. To put it basically it gives a timestamp to a process based on a certain weight, and will interrupt that process if a) the time runs out or b) something with priority takes precedence. I don't know what you're thinking, but yes, most kernel functions(invisible to the likes of task manager or whatever) take priority over anything extra you may have running and no its not "easily circumvented at the application level" especially not in a "game setting". Its a fundamental "flaw" I guess to performance but its required for an commercial OS for obvious reasons. Depending on your hardware you might not even notice but still. Its one of many trade-offs you have to make in a "PC" vs a specific slap together of chips.

The best performance efficient algorithm in my eyes, is "first come, first served". The most common in parallel performance oriented devices, like super computers . I can't say if any previous generation consoles use it but due to Tim Lottes post about PS4 requesting a real-time OS, imma guess its not used.

This is just a little bit of my gripes but maybe you can glimpse the point. I hope.

Did you seriously just try to tell Durante he doesn't know what he's talking about....

Fucking lol.

I wonder how many of the console gamers in this thread actually know what SVOGI stands for.
Yeah I did. Again, the name Durante doesnt mean a damned thing to me. Its not particualy insulting but please drop the shtick like im arguing with some Carmack type techgod.

Him going on about how "he could code some, probably singled threaded, Cuda program and get close to theo max performance" didn't inspire too much confidence.

Top Bottom