• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Videocast #7: Hands-On with Nintendo Switch

The Hermit

On their Zelda analysis video they said it's obvious devs are optimizing the games for the handheld first and then their choice is to call it a day and ship it or spend the remaining time before launch polishing the docked mode. I predict a lot of devs just call it quits after optimizing for undocked and ship a game that is identical on the tv.

I raised this question a while ago. Optimizing two times the same game is not something any dev will enjoy. So they either focus on the handheld or the docked mode.

That's why I think Nintendo should allow devs to make docked games only. That way it can use the full (and already limited) potential of the system.

Mario Kart 2 player split-screen 60fps in handheld mode sounds pretty great, that should be a good laugh when visiting mates or when going on long journeys with the girlfriend.

CrisKre

Depending on how the switch does they might not release anything after that, with the threat of mobile looming and being squeezed out of the core gaming market. Japan(and elsewhere) has a huge appetite for Nintendo franchises, but the hardware itself both handheld and console is cooling off every generation.

Who knows what they decide to do next.

I'm not trying to troll about nintendo, i am actually legit scared for one less player in the market place depending on how this thing does, that's why i dont get Nintendo's moves when they know what is riding on their success

People need to relax, take a deep breath and see a bit more long term and contextually. We are judging a system that hasn't released yet, by games that are far from finished development wise.

So, this is what the switch will end year 1 with so far:

A new Zelda game
A (remixed) Mario Kart game
A new Splatoon
A new 3D Mario
A new franchise that shows immense promise in Arms

And quite possibly:

A new (3rd version) of Pokemon
A (remixed) Smash Bros.

Now, by my standards that's impressive, and tells me nintendo really wants this thing to take off.

Also, lets all keep in mind Nintendo is very unique in how it anounces things for better or worse, and what we know so far is simply launch details, if that... it seems to me many of us are missing the forest for the tree.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
People need to relax, take a deep breath and see a bit more long term and contextually. We are judging a system that hasn't released yet, by games that are far from finished development wise.

A new Zelda game
A new Splatoon
A new 3D Mario

And quite possibly:

A (remixed) Smash Bros.

Now, by my standards that's impressive, and tells me nintendo really wants this thing to take off.

Also, lets all keep in mind Nintendo is very unique in how it anounces things for better or worse, and what we know do far is simply launch details, if that... it sends to me many of us are missing the forest for the tree.

You're forgetting Xenoblade 2. Probably more that'll pop up closer to release, like smaller titles to bridge the gaps and such

Hearing about the trouble it has docked is disappointing :/

I'm not that interested in handheld mode so what I'm getting is another console that is seemingly around Wii U strength, I'm still getting it for Zelda but I wish they'd at least have a bit more power in it. Weren't people saying this would be like 2x wii u undocked and 4x wii u docked according to clock speeds? What happened to that?

CrayToes

Why are Nintendo pretending this is a home console? It's a luxury handheld that can display on your TV. What a marketing blunder.

CrisKre

You're forgetting Xenoblade 2
I am if I trully believe it will come out in 2017 ;P

I just listed heavy hitters. Its literally 3 years worth of releases on any other nintendo hi ome console if you think about it.

We could also include Fire Emblem Warriors for example, but it's a smaller title.

DF obviously looks at this through the lens of performance, other hands-on have been more organic/holistic, talking about how fun the games are, how the controllers feel and work, and how the system looks, they have been almost all really positive

CrisKre

The theory that makes the most sense with many of the games that are 720p docked seems to be that developers are optimizing the lower spec handheld experience first and at the last stretch of development address docked performance. Seems logical.

I wouldn't be too worried about Splatoon 2, or Mario Odyssey and so forth just yet.

I would though, be concerned about Bomberman R and Skylanders since crunch to make launch may have developers bypass optimization all together.

Hearing about the trouble it has docked is disappointing :/

I'm not that interested in handheld mode so what I'm getting is another console that is seemingly around Wii U strength, I'm still getting it for Zelda but I wish they'd at least have a bit more power in it. Weren't people saying this would be like 2x wii u undocked and 4x wii u docked according to clock speeds? What happened to that?

Its a bit too soon to be concerned about that. If anything, Mario Kart 8 Remixed should have you reassured. Launch games are never a good metric for performance, ever.

Nerazar

Even Disgaea 5 sub 1080p.

Sorry but this console is a tech mess.

I like how the bashing moved from "SD" to "subHD" to "subFHD" and next to "sub4k". That's a pretty neat Nintendoomed timeline there ;)

But yeah, the game should have that resolution fixed at launch.

Rodin

I think the video was good in how it was brutally honest based on what they experienced, but i can't help but wondering why they didn't ask themselves a few legitimate questions about the "oddest" things they found.

Let's take Splatoon 2 as an example. I think it has better lighting and shaders than the first one, but it's not really a night and day difference. So looking at what other similar looking games are doing, like Mario Kart (which is running in 1080p... and may i say, it probably looks better), i'm wondering why it's still a 720p game like the first one. It just doesn't make sense to me. So isn't it possible that some of these builds weren't running properly or were unfinished on the "docked side", and were just using portable clocks on the big screen? They said themselves that the games were unfinished (if it wasn't obvious), this would explain why Splatoon 2 was 720p for example, and would also possibly answer their own question about undocked performances of the game. Then if Splatoon 2 comes out, looks only a bit better than the first one and still runs at 720p it'll be only right to be very disappointed and criticize it, but Nintendo is pushing a new concept here, so when we see stuff that doesn't really make sense we should at least consider different possibilities. We shouldn't just treat it like "oh this Wii U game is 720p 30fps and that's it".

I also don't think that a bunch of Wii U ports and sequels clearly based on the predecessor are going to tell us what the system is capable of. Mario Odyssey is a different thing, and in fact it's the most impressive game being a 60fps open world game with better lighting, shaders and details in general than its linear predecessor on the Wii U, but at the event they showed what they showed i guess.

Mario Odyssey being 720p at 30fps when docked
Mario is 60fps.

III-V

Why are Nintendo pretending this is a home console? It's a luxury handheld that can display on your TV. What a marketing blunder.

I think they do not want people thinking they will be playing 'handheld' style games, when it will play traditional console games, an do it on the go.

LoveCake

They specifically said MK8 was 1080p 60fps. Mario Odyssey is still in development.

You are correct, I got mixed up, I should have put Splatoon 2 (here in the video at 11:12 mark) I have now corrected.

I still dont get who will buy this thing other than the usual hardcore nintendo crowd.

Are they going to buy though?

Is wanting to play MK8 with a few extra tracks and Splatoon with some extra weapons and maps or Zelda BotW on the go enough to warrant the cost, when buying Zelda BotW for £40 on their WiiU and playing the house would maybe suffice?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is bad to me. I want a new home console. Frankly Nintendo is marketing it as a home console that you can take with you. That it's so lackluster docked is a real issue. This gen I also have a 4K TV instead of a 1080p TV so 720p games are totally not ok.

This is bad to me. I want a new home console. Frankly Nintendo is marketing it as a home console that you can take with you. That it's so lackluster docked is a real issue. This gen I also have a 4K TV instead of a 1080p TV so 720p games are totally not ok.

I've just accepted at this point I'm not going to play on the TV most of the time. Hopefully at some point they release a Switch Pro they can run games at 1080p more consistently.

.J.

Banned

A new Zelda game
A new Splatoon
A new 3D Mario

And quite possibly:

A (remixed) Smash Bros.

Also, lets all keep in mind Nintendo is very unique in how it anounces things for better or worse, and what we know so far is simply launch details, if that... it seems to me many of us are missing the forest for the tree.

I'm sorry, but I don't really see "immense promise" anywhere in Arms. It will be a gimmick game that will most likely be a one off. MAYBE it'll have a sequel that performs adequately, but I doubt it. It's a proof of concept game, but looks forgettable.

Really, the only thing driving its sales will be the otherwise limited launch library.

It's the same environment that gives things like Rabbids Land and Red Steel a chance.

crimilde

Banned

I'm in the same boat. Not planning on taking it with me on my 30min commutes to work so its main use would be as a home console. Guess I'll just wait for an eventual revision.

I'm also leaning towards playing it as a handheld most of the time. Seen in that light, it's pricing and power is about the same or maybe better than what we would have gotten from a Vita 2. I can make peace with that.

CrayToes

I think they do not want people thinking they will be playing 'handheld' style games, when it will play traditional console games, an do it on the go.

The new Zelda launching day 1 on the console should easily be enough to indicate that to people.

Again, Switch really is Wii U 2.0. It essentially just doubles down on the original Wii U concept, except you can actually take the thing anywhere you go, rather than only being able to do off-tv play. The joycon controllers do little to change the equation either since the mainstream interest in motion controls died years ago.

nynt9

A new Zelda game
A new Splatoon
A new 3D Mario

And quite possibly:

A (remixed) Smash Bros.

Giant Bomb (who are fighting game fans) said that Arms is pretty shallow and after their time with it they didn't see any reason to return to it. Several other impressions say "neat but that's all" about it. I'd say "immense promise" is overstated.

With their online policies, I really can't say that they seem to want it to take off. That policy is really horrendous. The launch titles are also quite underwhelming beyond Zelda, and I can't see anyone who is not an enthusiast and a dedicated Nintendo fan buying this at launch. So for the first few months, the system probably won't take off.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I will wait until they port Ni No Kuni 2, Final Fantasy XV and VII: Remake and Draqon Quest XI to Switch.

I get DQXI considering SE already announced it, but NNK and FF15 and FF7R is pretty much super unlikely...

I think even DQ11 may have to get downgraded

All these issues would have been fixed if they just made a seperate 350 console and 199 handheld with 1 library of games. Switch is really a master of none.

13ruce

Banned
They should market it as a handheld you can dock to your tv way better that way.

For me it's a dream console come true all Nintendo ip's on one system saves me a bit of money and space.
Was getting tired of getting 2 nintendo machines.

I can see them releasing a smaller switch go only sku in a few years wich will play all games also.

All these issues would have been fixed if they just made a seperate 350 console and 199 handheld with 1 library of games. Switch is really a master of none.
Yes. They could have worked out a combined eco system ans something like Pro-Slim scenario where developers can easily target different hardware profiles.

JakR

I'm also leaning towards playing it as a handheld most of the time. Seen in that light, it's pricing and power is about the same or maybe better than what we would have gotten from a Vita 2. I can make peace with that.

But Nintendo marketing put it as a home console first and my question is why. Maybe one reason is to protect somehow the 3DS/handheld market and second maybe they hope to get more acceptance for a 300€/$ piece of hardware and can sell the games for a higher average price in general.

But looking at the Switch from a persoective of handheld seems to make that piece a lot more sense and desirable.

Vana

Neo Member
Digital Foundry's impressions on the Nintendo Switch: (they played it at the London and German events respectively)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0lyvgeJJw0

Partial summary: (for those that cannot watch the video right away)

- impressed with its industrial design and it is a step up over past Nintendo consoles
- However, they feel it is like the Wii U 2.0. The visuals of most of the games they played at the event resemble "those of the Wii U generation".
- if the Switch was not a "tremendous portable" they think it would be a disaster to release it. (they claim a lot of the games they played are lower than 1080p)
- their opinion, very little evolution in what the games are offering.
- Docked view performance is less impressive than they thought it would be:
Claim ports of games with simplistic graphics like Bomberman and Disgaea 5 looked awful at the event because they are less than 1080p and
Bomberman was also 30 FPS.

I don't understand why the dock is that much underclock then...

dan2026

I'm almost starting to think Nintendo should of just made a new handheld and not a handheld/console hybrid.

It sounds like a great handheld but will look like an absolute mess connected to a tv.

720p home games in 2016 is a hell of thing.

Rncewind

Pretty much these

also many people are real reaching with the its a home console to go or its primalrly a handheld. Seems like the 3ds gonna get support at least until end of 2017 with exclusive SMT games and alike with no switch version

All the games on the switch are Console Esque, you gonna not play arms while you traveling on the plane. They revealed a real underpowred console with a wiiu + feature

I'm almost starting to think Nintendo should of just made a new handheld and not a handheld/console hybrid.

It sounds like a great handheld but will look like an absolute mess connected to a tv.

the only thing the has a handheld impression is the power tbh. this thing comes off like a 90 % wiiu replacement and maybe some 3ds partnership ports for goodwill

MDave

Hehe, my expectations about it being a lightly modified TX1, if it all modified seem to be right. As that is about 2x the 360 in performance. Nintendo are going to make quite the margin in profit on each unit sold. At least they have plenty of room to lower it if it flops and still make a profit. They probably won't though.

Top Bottom