• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs DriveClub

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This so much. I don't get why the open world for racing is be-all, end-all. I like just loading up a track and fucking racing.

Burnout 3 >>>>>>> Burnout Paradise.

People that prefer Paradise over 3 always confused me. 3 is arguably the best arcade racer ever, ESPECIALLY at the time of its release. One of the few game that absolutely blew me away.

nib95

Banned
A few people have mentioned that the press shots were misleading and akin to being from a different game, but I am absolutely confident they will be able to be replicated in the games photo mode. They look like gameplay shots with added super sampling, depth of field, and image affects (e.g. grain, colour changes etc), par for the course with Photo Mode.

Examples.

driveclub-1.jpg

ibuD7xqVInkGEa.jpg

dcscreen41398764444-1398780216.jpg

iboqeO5r5mErVQ.jpg

dc061320149.jpg

image_driveclub-26472-2662_0004.jpg

1410289209-mercedes-amg-gt-1.jpg

iffRQeozzPS83.jpg

Also, some other random shots I thought looked good.

driveclub_20141006133608-jpg.18242

DriveClub-Review-461314-23.jpg

driveclub_20141006133120-jpg.18245

driveclub_20141008190954-jpg.18398

driveclub_20141008193019-jpg.18399

driveclub_20141008193027-jpg.18400

driveclub-89677-8060266.jpg

driveclub_20141008213412-jpg.18402

uofb.jpg

image-jpg.517342

driveclub2014itbof58djy.jpg

qofb.jpg

Synth

People that prefer Paradise over 3 always confused me. 3 is arguably the best arcade racer ever, ESPECIALLY at the time of its release. One of the few game that absolutely blew me away.

Definitely arguable... like, I'd argue that best arcade racer would be a game where the key selling point isn't crashing into shit. :p

GameSeeker

A few people have mentioned that the press shots were misleading and akin to being from a different game, but I am absolutely confident they will be able to be replicated in the games photo mode. They look like gameplay shots with added super sampling, depth of field, and image affects (e.g. grain, colour changes etc), par for the course with Photo Mode.

Yes, I think you will be proven correct. Once the Photo Mode & Replay patch arrives, all those accusations of "bullshots" and "downsampled" videos will completely disappear. The quality of Photo Mode and the replays will match the marketing materials Evolution has released for DriveClub.

Synth

To be fair though... a lot of photomodes actually do look like a completely different game. GT5 routinely put out shots in photomode that I think still look better than literally everything on the current consoles.

Close your eyes. Now imagine a console 10 times more powerful than the PS3. There is no way GT 5 can ever look better than Driveclub. It is impossible.

DC destroys GT5 graphics of course, it's just so many screen look so bad while it looks so good in motion, it boggles my mind.

meanspartan

I couldn't get into Paradise at all, from the moment I loaded it up and it wanted me to pick up missions GTA style I was like "uhhhh....can't I just race like Burnout 3?" (which was the last one I had played at that point).

I don't want open world in my racing games. Stop it.

garyBig

I couldn't get into Paradise at all, from the moment I loaded it up and it wanted me to pick up missions GTA style I was like "uhhhh....can't I just race like Burnout 3?" (which was the last one I had played at that point).

Yeah, the great thing about the original Burnout games was that they were so focused on what they were good at and wanted to achieve. Paradise, to me, didn't feel like Burnout at all since it tried to be every racer,and thus ended up being just any racer.
Still a nice game, but not to be mistaken for the real thing. (Man this world needs a new true Burnout so badly, or another Hot Pursuit for that matter)

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I'm disappointed with how DC looks due to what I had seen on GAF and elsewhere (the pics comparing the game and bullshots at the bottom of p 9 support this), but that's on me for believing it. I'll put some more time in it today, but I'm leaning towards leaving it until replays and weather are patched in at the very least.

Glad I am not the only one. I was a bit taken back in the first race when you boot up the game, because the pre-release footage looked phenomenal.

the jaggies and color palette do hurt the game a bit, imo. i am hoping we get a patch that beefs up the visuals a bit to what we saw prior to release.

i bought this on the way home from work and played the first few races. it looks really nice. not sure what all the nonsense is about. it's a really great looking game. and the lighting is phenomenal.

garyBig

Glad I am not the only one. I was a bit taken back in the first race when you boot up the game, because the pre-release footage looked phenomenal.

the jaggies and color palette do hurt the game a bit, imo. i am hoping we get a patch that beefs up the visuals a bit to what we saw prior to release.

IQ is killing it. Far too blurry to fully appreciate the visuals in my opinion. It's like a bearded Mona Lisa covered in vaseline. Lighting can be phenomenal, but it's a shame the game is such an inconsistent beauty. Like, night races look hideously jaggiefesty whereas dawn and dusk are simply breathtaking. Really strange.
Anyway I should probably change rooms for this game and play it in a sitting room environment (meaning higher-quality tv, but most of all a greater distance from the screen). IQ flaws should stand out a lot less than right now (5 feet away from 37")

Edit: Oh and didn't they want to do something about the power lines? If they really improved on them, I can't imagine what they must have looked like before because they suffer real bad pixelisation.

Pop

That's terribly compressed but you can still see the aliasing. Just goes to show you that 1920x1080 really isn't enough pixels to render those trees. Not with cheap AA. Lots of aliasing there. It's probably better in motion but those screens look really rough.

Playing the game before 100% downloaded probably didn't help.

Shaneus

Same. And DC reviewing badly because of a lack of it is a goddamned crime.

The aliasing I'll agree with, but the colour palette is spot-on. I can't believe it's taken this long for a console racer to get it right (aside from GT5, which was actually pretty good as well... and PGR4). I blame the Forza and NFS series' for the excessive colour saturation.

MDSLKTR

This open world criteria in racing games is fucking retarded
Was this used as a negative for forza 5 last year? I didn't check any review for it but something tells me I should.
Edit: strictly talking about the same websites that found DC lack off open world (lol fuck off) a negative.

Gestault

Was this used as a negative for forza 5 last year? I didn't check any review for it but something tells me I should.
Edit: strictly talking about the same websites that found DC lack off open world (lol fuck off) a negative.

Actually, it did. I thought I remembered some at the time (and I'm basically now just skimming through the lower score write-ups on Metacritic), but yeah, a lot of places commented on how just being track races made it feel flat for them, at least in terms of variety. Including Giant Bomb:

"Forza Motorsport 5 becomes a game that is outstanding in specific, limited situations, but overall, it's kind of a drag."

freddy

Banned
I feel like the answer is something super dumb. Like "We've noticed that when playing at normal living room distances there is no discernible differences between AF levels" or something like that. It's obvious that they're capable, since several games do use it.

Well to be fair, in a racing game no one is going to see this unless they slow down and look for it. I don't agree with the hype saying it was the greatest thing since sliced bread though, because it's obviously not.

Teletraan1

Banned
A point to point/circuit racer is what it its. These fucking open world comments prevalent during the release of this game are telling. I am sure when their shit metacritic scores shape the next racer coming out into Fisher Price my first open world game they can turn around and complain about it being too formulaic or samey. I can just imagine having to go to a strip club with Wario to see some big mushroom kingdom titties before I can get to a match of Mario Kart if these games writers had their way.

Loving the people posting shots of them parked with the camera backwards and sideways along the track picking out shitbag textures you will never notice while racing. I doubt a lot of work is done on how the game looks while parked sideways the wrong way on a closed circuit. They probably don't include AF in this because of the motion blur slathered all over everything while driving or because of the normal magic reasons I will never know because I am not an engine programmer.

DC destroys GT5 graphics of course, it's just so many screen look so bad while it looks so good in motion, it boggles my mind.

It's not really that perplexing. The graphical high point is the realistic lighting and weather and how they react to the environments which can only be truly appreciated in motion

Jamesways

A point to point/circuit racer is what it its. These fucking open world comments prevalent during the release of this game are telling. I am sure when their shit metacritic scores shape the next racer coming out into Fisher Price my first open world game they can turn around and complain about it being too formulaic or samey. I can just imagine having to go to a strip club with Wario to see some big mushroom kingdom titties before I can get to a match of Mario Kart if these games writers had their way.

Loving the people posting shots of them parked with the camera backwards and sideways along the track picking out shitbag textures you will never notice while racing. I doubt a lot of work is done on how the game looks while parked sideways the wrong way on a closed circuit. They probably don't include AF in this because of the motion blur slathered all over everything while driving or because of the normal magic reasons I will never know because I am not an engine programmer.

Hahaha!! Damn!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

I'm a Revenge fan personally, but I did think that Paradise ruined the series.

Definitely arguable... like, I'd argue that best arcade racer would be a game where the key selling point isn't crashing into shit. :p
To be fair, it's more making other people crash into shit haha

Though the increased benefit to the 'combat' element is why I prefer Burnout 2. BO3 is an awesome and super polished and fast game, but I always felt it was even more arcade-y and combative than the series originally was. BO2 is a much more focused racing game where the crashing is either more of a visual reward or a separate mode. BO2 still the best traffic racing game around IMO. Best traffic racing sense of speed too. BO3 has a fastest speed but I think BO2 with some of its traffic areas and such the overall design/feel of the games is just so on-the-edge at times.

It's funny, when BO2 released there was so much NFS HP2 vs BO2 debate, and yet all this time later, I still think they're probably two of the two 3 or at least top 5 arcade racers around -- BO2 for sense of traffic racing speed and HP2 for its third-person 'torque' camera and visual torque feedback.

Almost never played any BO since BO3 or NFS since HP2... just sort of lost interest in the changing car or world design.

NHale

The aliasing I'll agree with, but the colour palette is spot-on. I can't believe it's taken this long for a console racer to get it right (aside from GT5, which was actually pretty good as well... and PGR4). I blame the Forza and NFS series' for the excessive colour saturation.

Exactly. While I agree the India tracks don't look right because it looks jaggy, muddy and bland (maybe realistic?) the 2nd race in the game in Chile completely shows how good the good palette and lighting engine are. The change of lighting in those 3 laps with colors changing naturally from sunset to night it's incredible.

In fact if anyone complains Driveclub isn't colorful, I automatically know they either didn't play the 2nd race or only have the free PS+ version.

Nyx

People that prefer 3 over 2 always confused me. 2 is arguably the best arcade racer ever, ESPECIALLY at the time of its release. One of the few game that absolutely blew me away

Sorry, had to.

Too bad i don't give a shit about photomodes... I want to play the game, not watch a photo of the game that doesn't resemble the game.
The game is great. But i. Thought the iQ would be even better.

ZoddGutts

They have a point. If it's not open world, it should be 60fps, no excuses. Shame they weren't able to hit that framerate.

goonergaz

I didn't play 3 much but I loved Paradise. The thing was you could just chillax with some mates online, drive around doing the gates/stunts/jumps whatever and a few races.

Nothing has come close since, all the NFS games just seem to lack something for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They have a point. If it's not open world, it should be 60fps, no excuses. Shame they weren't able to hit that framerate.

why is open world an excuse? You could make an open world game 60fps if it was so important.

There have been plenty of great 30fps non-open world racing games over the years. My personal favourite ever console racer was 30fps.

As many people have said before, and many people will simply ignore

Honey Bunny

I don't understand how you can find 30fps inexcusable in one arcade racer but acceptable in another. You're still fundamentally playing the same thing, one just lets you drive around forever without quitting to a menu. If it affects gameplay so much so as to be inexcusable in one, it should in the other too.

Shaneus

In fact if anyone complains Driveclub isn't colorful, I automatically know they either didn't play the 2nd race or only have the free PS+ version.
Doubtful on that second point ;) Which is a shame, because India is the least dynamic locale of them all, but it's the one in the demo. I only hope people play with the time of day enough to experience what a difference it makes.

lol

The cars should wink at you because we need soul and charisma in a fucking driving game. Evo dropped the ball on that one. :|
Bravo!

My point is – when did having an open world became an expectation for racing titles? What makes people think that is a desirable feature for every title in the genre?

Totally agree.
Allthough I really enjoyed Horizon 2, but it wasn't the open world that made it so great for me.
Of course you can screw around more and add some nice gimmicks to an open world, but after a couple of hours I really only wanted to do those championships and it became annoying to always have to do a 10km road trip to start racing.

p3tran

Banned
My point is – when did having an open world became an expectation for racing titles? What makes people think that is a desirable feature for every title in the genre?
hmm dont know... lets see...
even pgr offered cities and you could plan your route, horizon 1 again on 360, the biggest burnout was open road too,paradise. then of course you have tdu's, and contemporary nfs rivals is open road, and you also got horizon 2 just now, which is pushing the open road envelope even further, by being pretty much open world.

Totally agree.
Allthough I really enjoyed Horizon 2, but it wasn't the open world that made it so great for me.
Of course you can screw around more and add some nice gimmicks to an open world, but after a couple of hours I really only wanted to do those championships and it became annoying to always have to do a 10km road trip to start racing.
well, surprize-surprize, just hit pause, navigate to the menu where you have every event available at the click of the button, should you want to do that.

Oh well, as they clearly know what they are talking about and obviously understand how easy it is to achieve, maybe Sony should employ them to make the follow up. Because you know, no excuses and all that.

Fact is this game doesn't seem to be suffering from the lack of 60FPS, it still belts along at a rate of knots and is super responsive. Couple that with a lighting engine unseen in a driving game before and I'm more than happy with the finished article.

Krilekk

Banned
THIS!

What the hell?
Should every racing game be open-world now, just to get better review scores by certain gaming sites?
I don't want an open-world in my racing games.

What's next?
Bad Gran Turismo 7 reviews, because it isn't open-world?

Fuck that!

Yes. But isn't Driveclub open world? I remember them saying they are actually rendering 15 km in either direction. So technically it is an open world game, just with traditional blocked tracks.

Yes. But isn't Driveclub open world? I remember them saying they are actually rendering 15 km in either direction. So technically it is an open world game, just with traditional blocked tracks.

Yeah they are certainly rendering a lot of area, I would almost laugh if they just came out with some DLC that just opened up the whole world to drive where you want. Can't see it happening but if they are rendering that much why not let us just go for a drink around it.

Top Bottom