• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs DriveClub

This line here...

...is just total bullshit. This pervading mentality that open world automatically means better. No, it doesn't. Especially not in a racing game.

I would really like to hear the writer extrapolate on this point. Quite frankly it sounds ridiculous to me. He should have just used the term "corridor racer."

I said worst af this gen. Which it is mostly because it's mixed with very low res textures. It just ends up solid colors at a short distance.

That first track is worse than others. it was not a good track to lead with.

That's what i said, right? Af? No, you said worst aliassing. It's not. I'm playing Wolfenstein now and it's faar worse (goty by the way thus far).

They should have used a different track for the free demo, for sure.
And the textures aren't that great, but i can understand that for a big part. You'll never be upclose with these textures and you'll be passing them at high speed. The game, and most racing games, are made with that in mind.
But, when it comes to AA solitions, i have to say i expected better. Even though it looks acceptable for this gen imo.

Is there a way they could patch in a better solution or is it really hard for a game like this?

KidJr

I feel some people are being really really harsh on this game. Its clear man, sacrifices had to be made, pretty early on they would have set a target that wanted to achieve and to come as close as they did (even with years extra development) have done awesome. I mean there are some noticable jaggies but people are going on like this game has no AA what so ever and we've been fed a blurry mess.

Me personally I would have done things a little differently but man, you've got take hats off to what they HAVE done.

KKRT00

WOW! I thought this type of stuff would have been left behind in the last gen.

idTXHbFUrapTK.jpg

To be fair, that's just a practical reality of the hardware used, and the underlying priorities. Depending on the situation, you'll see that in any of the best looking games. That's a real reflection, not just a Screen-Space reflection, so unless the hardware can handle running a scene several times over, you need a lower resolution framebuffer for it.

Its not real reflection, it is cubemap, so basically a texture and its quality depends solely on texture resolution used for a cubemap coverage.
Reflection technique used since forever.

I though they would increase resolution over the time, but it seems they didnt.
WEBM from the old trailer: [full screen it]
http://a.pomf.se/dwtyek.webm

FeiRR

Banned
Haha, thats honest. Any chance that it's still readable somewhere online?

I really hope it isn't (and it wasn't in English). In gaming media there's always a lot of pressure on reviewers. It wasn't until I switched to a PC software magazine when I learnt how to write proper, reliable reviews with no outside pressure. I can't even imagine what's happening in online portals where ads generate income and publishers play a major part in it.

cyen

They should have used a different track for the free demo, for sure.
And the textures aren't that great, but i can understand that for a big part. You'll never be upclose with these textures and you'll be passing them at high speed. The game, and most racing games, are made with that in mind.
But, when it comes to AA solitions, i have to say i expected better. Even though it looks acceptable for this gen imo.

Is there a way they could patch in a better solution or is it really hard for a game like this?

I think they should have went with a more traditional AA solution like MSAA.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Burnout 3 is probably the best arcade racer out there. And the game isn't open world.

F-zero and Wipeout would be total shit if they would be open world as well.

Linearity in arcade racers can't be called old-fashioned. Skill-based racing and memorizing the map is what makes an aracde racer fun for me.

If I want to play an open world racing game, I'll boot up GTA V.

various sega arcade raers, Fzero, trackmania are million times better if we are talking arcade racers not car combat games BO2 had better racing than Bo3.

I agree with the complaint about open world it's not needed for games.

I think they should have went with a more traditional AA solution like MSAA.
Is that possible? Does that work good on a game like this? I'm asking people who know. The weird thing is that a lot of the first party games look really good in iq on PS4.
The DF article is very positive. Im glad there were able to get the game running well and looking great.
Yep, i also think they have a better understanding of what evolution wanted to do with the game, instead of other sites who just wanted it to be a game it is not.

I think the most damaging thing to the the IQ is the poor AF, and the washed out colors, compared to the B roll footage and earlier trailer.

Of course they are, how can a low res embedded gif properly represent the way a game actually looks?

There's been a ton of HQ direct feed gameplay around for ages, it just seems like some people didn't bother to watch it. The game looks as good as better than it did in any of those videos.
Oh, I know, I'm really just saying that whenever a Gif was posted, it was followed by 'OMG, HOLY SHIIT' It seemed kind of funny watching people spam Gifs when videos are readily available, not to mention it ruined many of my devices chances of running the thread.

Gestault

Its not real reflection, it is cubemap, so basically a texture and its quality depends solely on texture resolution used for a cubemap coverage.

I really hope that's not the case, because the official promotion language specified that it didn't:

Screen space reflections (SSR) are being used together with real time dynamic light probes to render vehicle lighting and reflections more accurately, as opposed to using outdated pre-baked cubes.

(That's not to say it isn't, but it would mean the were making shoddy claims)

XGoldenboyX

Thats actually real time reflection. Just that the resolution buffer is low. Quite normal!

pixelbox

THIS!

What the hell?
Should every racing game be open-world now, just to get better review scores by certain gaming sites?
I don't want an open-world in my racing games.

What's next?
Bad Gran Turismo 7 reviews, because it isn't open-world?

Fuck that!

See the problem is the bigger you make your levels (in general) the more your level design will lack. Where's the crafted scenarios that pushes certain gameplay choices? If you can do "everything", then what's the point? Where's the design?

Realistic lighting = washed out colours. The hits keep coming lol.

I am not sure why anyone would say anything negative about this games use of colors. It definitely is great in that department.
the graphics look like there in a different level here.

At the same time, that is most obviously not a real version of the game. If anything, that is some like.... perfect IQ 0 pop in 100% shadow distance version of the game.

adelante

Edit: Also, the player's avatar is a vampire.

Loll well at least you can see the reflection of his hand, but yeah missing off-viewport information results in the rest of his body not showing up as SSR. I think the the reflection of the environment is a localised cube map though.

KKRT00

I really hope that's not the case, because the official promotion language specified that it didn't:

(That's not to say it isn't, but it would mean the were making shoddy claims)

Nah, if it would be completely dynamic body of a driver who is opening the door would be reflected in the windshield.

It could be dynamic in a way that its generated on the fly as You move through environments to avoid streaming, but how knows.

----
Thats actually real time reflection. Just that the resolution buffer is low. Quite normal!
This resolution is normal to You? I mean sure, games use half and sometimes even quarter res for reflections, but this is at 240p or lower levels.

Synth

Unless I'm missing something they aren't full open world and they're not really racing games in the sense of Gran Tourismo, F1, Forza (main series), Project Gotham, etc.

if you're looking for a game focused on the act of driving you are majority looking at an experience involving tracks/roads and that remains the main focus (even including stuff like NFS and Burnout Paradise which provide multiple open roads/tracks but are not true open world).

I guess that's true. The Need for Speed games aren't really full open-world. They're more open-road, with segments that connect with each other. They're still definitely not circuit racers though, and I'd place them closer to FH2 than I would to FM/GT.. after all FH1 was basically the same thing, and the level of freedom has simply increased in the sequel.

I wouldn't bring Project Gotham into this really either, as Need for Speed's been more open since Underground 2, and Project Gotham (and even Forza) has never been in its league saleswise.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Burnout 3 is probably the best arcade racer out there. And the game isn't open world.

F-zero and Wipeout would be total shit if they would be open world as well.

Linearity in arcade racers can't be called old-fashioned. Skill-based racing and memorizing the map is what makes an aracde racer fun for me.

If I want to play an open world racing game, I'll boot up GTA V.

I can only wish that Driveclub will be as good as those games. You are naming the very top of the class of arcade racing there. Wipeout HD was godlike by all accounts and rates at like 85%. And that game was $20.

just use the search "best looking" "driveclub"

anyone find some some uncompressed shots yet?

I know you weren't talking to me directly, but seeing as you used my quote as an example, I'd like to say that I still think it's the best looking racer I've ever seen. Not sure why my opinion would be changed....

It's a little inconsistent graphically, but DC at it's best is still the best looking racer ever, imo.

The lack of AF does make the textures look quite soft and muddy.
Once you are in motion it's not really a big deal, and you can easily spot an upcoming corner from a fair distance, so you can pick your line and take the corner well, so jaggies or whatever doesn't seem to be a problem - or at least for me.
The lack of AF is very disappointing though. I usually pump it to 16X when I'm on pc.

Yeah this is what i thought the game would look like. It looks good. But not this good.

Its still the best looking racing game on any console, but you expect more from sony, since they always seem to deliver in blowing away people expectations when it comes to graphics.

I know you weren't talking to me directly, but seeing as you used my quote as an example, I'd like to say that I still think it's the best looking racer I've ever seen. Not sure why my opinion would be changed....

It's a little inconsistent graphically, but DC at it's best is still the best looking racer ever, imo.

Spot on for me. Not perfect, but even with it's flaws it's still miles ahead of anything else I've seen.

EGM1966

I guess that's true. The Need for Speed games aren't really full open-world. They're more open-road, with segments that connect with each other. They're still definitely not circuit racers though, and I'd place them closer to FH2 than I would to FM/GT.. after all FH1 was basically the same thing, and the level of freedom has simply increased in the sequel.

I wouldn't bring Project Gotham into this really either, as Need for Speed's been more open since Underground 2, and Project Gotham (and even Forza) has never been in its league saleswise.

True. My point is more this there seems to be a weird and I'd argue hard to justify desire by a few sites to somehow raise the issue of not being open world being some kind of negative for this game which is nonsense.

I doubt Driveclub is perfect (and I'm waiting for the delayed Plus version to test it out) and in fact overall the DF article is very positive as I read it but that one little bit just stands out because it ties to other reviews and is just silly. It's not what the game is nor does it need to be nor is it suddenly "behind the times" for racing games to not be open world or semi-open world. It's just doesn't make sense at all.

Reading reviews issues with aggressive AI, penalty system, etc. all make sense to be brought up but that point is moot. It's like criticizing TLOU for not being open world or GTA for not being focused and linear and narrative driven: you're literally judging based on inappropriate criteria for that particular game.

Feels like a love or hate it game which is kind of what I expected, but good to hear it looks amazing (also as expected). Hopefully the PS+ version is up soon.

Shin-Ra

Developers need to take image quality more seriously, especially if they're making a densely detailed game like this. No anisotropic filtering and the cocktail of AA solutions they've used just don't cut it.

Great write up by DF although that comment about being open world is excruciatingly frustrating and I really hope devs don't abandon REAL FUCKING RACING TRACKS in favour of open world design.

There is no worse genre for open world than racing games. Aimless garbage, driving around without purpose. Are we racing or driving here. People complain about GT menus then praise spending 10 minutes driving to your next event. It's like the worst part of GTA made into a game.

Now, back to the tech talk, what's with the lack of AF? Obviously lots of PS games do it without issue so why are some games completely botched.

jett

D-Member
Washed out colours?

Are we playing the same game?

ixcu9JK6DjGUQ.jpg

Well, compared to Evo's color-graded trailers and bullshots...

driveclub-jp-l04jpg-57cb4b.jpg

driveclub-jp-l01jpg-57cb4a.jpg

The game does not look like this at all. I'm simply talking about the color palette. I don't think it's at all unbelievable that someone would consider the retail game to look washed out in comparison.

impact

Banned
You gotta wonder what the hell is going on with AF on these consoles. It hardly costs anything for 16x on PC, why are so many console games ignoring it? We need Cerny in here to give us answers.

jett

D-Member
You gotta wonder what the hell is going on with AF on these consoles. It hardly costs anything for 16x on PC, why are so many console games ignoring it? We need Cerny in here to give us answers.

Honestly, I don't even know why do PC games even give you the option to change AF anymore, it should be at 16x by default. It costs nothing.

Top Bottom