• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs DriveClub

Nafai1123

Banned
You gotta wonder what the hell is going on with AF on these consoles. It hardly costs anything for 16x on PC, why are so many console games ignoring it? We need Cerny in here to give us answers.

I feel like the answer is something super dumb. Like "We've noticed that when playing at normal living room distances there is no discernible differences between AF levels" or something like that. It's obvious that they're capable, since several games do use it.

BouncyFrag

I'm disappointed with how DC looks due to what I had seen on GAF and elsewhere (the pics comparing the game and bullshots at the bottom of p 9 support this), but that's on me for believing it. I'll put some more time in it today, but I'm leaning towards leaving it until replays and weather are patched in at the very least.

I don't know about you guys, but I've heard from reliable sources that the graphics in DriveClub cause depression. Specifically, seasonal affective disorder.

When will somebody from Sony or Evo address this?

impact

Banned
I feel like the answer is something super dumb. Like "We've noticed that when playing at normal living room distances there is no discernible differences between AF levels" or something like that. It's obvious that they're capable, since several games do use it.

While that sounds like some dumpster trash these PR teams would try to feed us, I feel it has to be something deeper than that.

Don't we have a guy from Digital Foundry here on GAF? Investigate for us please. Sick of these blurry textures ruining great looking games.

El_Chino

Great write up by DF although that comment about being open world is excruciatingly frustrating and I really hope devs don't abandon REAL FUCKING RACING TRACKS in favour of open world design.

There is no worse genre for open world than racing games. Aimless garbage, driving around without purpose. Are we racing or driving here. People complain about GT menus then praise spending 10 minutes driving to your next event. It's like the worst part of GTA made into a game.

Now, back to the tech talk, what's with the lack of AF? Obviously lots of PS games do it without issue so why are some games completely botched.
Um, why not both? Open world driving is fun as hell if you do right which games have.

Synth

Not when you take IQ out of the comparison (which is an area any PC game is instantly suprior at)

Yea, but why would you? Do people often take IQ out of the equation when referring to the Xbox One in comparison to PS4? Would a game be considered the best graphics by dropping to 480p to throw a few more effects in?

Projects Cars isn't a wildly inferior looking game simply with better IQ, it looks good even if it were running at 1080p with similar AA to Driveclub. When you remove these IQ limitations, I'd say it simply looks better at that point.

AFAIK AF costs bandwitdh. Something that's generally abundant on PCs but not on the APU+Unified Memory consoles.

Watching the gameryde videos yesterday i immediately noticed something was different/off. The game looked grainy during daytime, colours looked a bit different/worse and the textures weren`t as good as pre release footage. Especially the background mountains and rocks didn`t look as impressive as shown before.

I think its pretty clear what we was shown before wasn`t the final PS4 version we can buy now. It was the dev build with all the options turned up to the max.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Forza Horizon 2 is the one that's on the minds now. Games journalists apparently have the memories of fucking peas, and so their only frame of reference is a racing game that released within the past month.

That's the only explanation for this rampant, coordinated batch of high octane fucking stupidity coming out of these sites regarding DriveClub and open world racers.

And they're also so fucking devoid of the ability to rub two brain cells together that they're also incapable of recognizing there is nothing inherently new or next-gen about open world games. This shit is genuinely infuriating at this point.

Yes, irritating...

Yea, but why would you? Do people often take IQ out of the equation when referring to the Xbox One in comparison to PS4?

Neither of those have variable hardware.

Projects Cars isn't a wildly inferior looking game simply with better IQ, it looks good even if it were running at 1080p with similar AA to Driveclub. When you remove these IQ limitations, I'd say it simply looks better at that point.

It's not "wildly inferior", just inferior.

AF, reflections, car models, number of cars on screen, VR support, framerate etc than sure.

You're something, alright.

Well, compared to Evo's color-graded trailers and bullshots...

driveclub-jp-l04jpg-57cb4b.jpg

driveclub-jp-l01jpg-57cb4a.jpg

The game does not look like this at all. I'm simply talking about the color palette. I don't think it's at all unbelievable that someone would consider the retail game to look washed out in comparison.

Exactly my point. Thanks.

TEH-CJ

Banned
It's not breaking any new ground, but it IS reviving a type of racer that is all but dead in the industry. And it's not like that type of racer died because it was shit or something. These were amongst the best type of racers that ever came out, the pure skill-based no-frill arcade/simcade racers. The question I have is if it's actually good at accomplishing the goals within this barely alive subcategory of racers. For my money, it absolutely does. But, crucially, you don't have to think it does, because it's a legitimate opinion to think it's not that great. It's perfectly appropriate to believe it failed at its goals, which are strictly defined and therefore easy to criticize if there are legitimate issues.

What is not OK is to bring in all sorts of random bullshit, talking about how racers should be, because as a reviewer you're incapable of remembering games that released longer than a month ago, because you have expectations you're inappropriately foisting on a game that has completely different goals, or because you have some daft ideas about open world or upgrades somehow being equivalent of "next gen" or "quality."

Each approach has strengths and weaknesses, and each approach can be done well or poorly. DID DriveClub handle its specific approach to racing poorly? If so, how? When you come from that perspective, criticism can begin to be on the right foot. It does me absolutely no good to read about how much you wish it was open world, because if I wanted a fucking open world racer, I'd play a fucking open world racer. I love Forza Horizon 2, it just came out. Play that shit. This is a different type of racer with different goals. Does it accomplish them well? That is what I want to read.

I am king of negativity. I love hearing people criticize shit, because it means they're wielding a highly effective tool as a consumer. But this shit we've had in like a zillion reviews/previews/articles at this point? It has got to stop. It's embarrassing.

Spot on. Awesome post.

benzy

Well, compared to Evo's color-graded trailers and bullshots...

driveclub-jp-l04jpg-57cb4b.jpg

driveclub-jp-l01jpg-57cb4a.jpg

The game does not look like this at all. I'm simply talking about the color palette. I don't think it's at all unbelievable that someone would consider the retail game to look washed out in comparison.

Those bullshots are way too oversaturated with high contrast, to the point where black levels lose detail. Not to mention the gradient filters they were obviously bullshots and not something you should expect in the final game; people knew what to expect from the colors since the very first gameplay footage Evo showed. There was nothing misleading if people actually watched the various gameplay videos the devs posted throughout the game's development.

The final color palette is fine though and doesn't look washed out at all. I'm really glad the colors aren't oversaturated like those bullshots, the game already has plenty of color.

fvgieb.jpg

qzqlio.jpg

Synth

I get that they don't have variable hardware, but I don't see that being a very important point. Either IQ is important to the graphics, or it isn't... and the general opinion seems to be that it is. A PC having variable hardware is what allowed stuff like Half-Life 2, Crysis, The Witcher 2 and the like to happen, it's not a reason to disqualify them (or force the console versions to be the comparison point). If we were talking about a PS3/360 game with PC level IQ, then I would agree that it's not enough to make the game graphically superior... but that's not the case here.

As KKRT00 mentioned, there's more than just AA or resolution that Project Cars is benefitting from in regards to IQ. Stuff like reflections, textures and AF causes it to look better in numerous ways... ways that'll likely be compromised heavily in the console ports.

I think the two areas Drive Club destroys any other racing game in are the dynamic lighting and track detail. The love and care that went into modelling those landscapes is outstanding. I really love the pre-race shots of the environment. Just saw the demo of some freaking train yard full of little details that you will never notice while racing. edit: Also forgot those clouds... Those fucking clouds man. And the weather system also looks much better than what Project Cars does (Whenever it may arrive...)

The other area it greatly excels in is the handling of the cars, but of course that's not really part of this thread. Controller response is really good for 30fps though.

rashbeep

Banned

Car models are certainly something I'd give to PCars at this point. But I just bought Driveclub (caved in) so I'll have a better idea once I see the game on my screen.

coastel

I get that they don't have variable hardware, but I don't see that being a very important point. Either IQ is important to the graphics, or it isn't... and the general opinion seems to be that it is. A PC having variable hardware is what allowed stuff like Half-Life 2, Crysis, The Witcher 2 and the like to happen, it's not a reason to disqualify them (or force the console versions to be the comparison point). If we were talking about a PS3/360 game with PC level IQ, then I would agree that it's not enough to make the game graphically superior... but that's not the case here.

As KKRT00 mentioned, there's more than just AA or resolution that Project Cars is benefitting from in regards to IQ. Stuff like reflections, textures and AF causes it to look better in numerous ways... ways that'll likely be compromised heavily in the console ports.

There's more to it than just that as well. Did you bother reading what drive club is doing? Yes less cars but wth has that got to do with the look of a game. I know why its better because its on your chosen platform. If this was multi plat you would not be saying project cars looks better.

-griffy-

Banned
You gotta wonder what the hell is going on with AF on these consoles. It hardly costs anything for 16x on PC, why are so many console games ignoring it? We need Cerny in here to give us answers.

This isn't really a thing unique to these new consoles though. It's been a recurring missing feature in console games for the last three generations, long past the point it has been essentially a "free" effect on PC.

Synth

There's more to it than just that as well. Did you bother reading what drive club is doing? Yes less cars but wth has that got to do with the look of a game. I know why its better because its on your chosen platform. If this was multi plat you would not be saying project cars looks better.

I didn't actually mention the car count. I would say it affects the look of the game though. If something like Dead Rising 3 was pushing 5 zombies on screen at a time, I'd consider its graphics to be far worse than they are in its current implementation.

I read a LOT about what Driveclub is doing... but I don't consider the technical implementations of the graphics to be more important than how it actually looks to me on screen. If a faked effect looks comparable to a true implementation, then I don't really care about it. I'm playing the game, not developing it.

Also, I have a PS4 actually. Have had it nearly a year now, and it was bought mostly for Driveclub. The only reason I haven't played it myself yet, is because I'm in the UK so it's not out yet. You assume too much. :p

UberTag

This open world criteria in racing games is fucking retarded
Which game are we blaming for this? I'm blaming Burnout Paradise because Test Drive Unlimited didn't get enough traction sales-wise. So this is Criterion's fault... and Playground jumped on board to effectively slash the throats (and Metacritic prospects) of any future proper Gran Turismos, mainline Forzas, <insert Codemasters racing game franchise here>... and, of course, Drive Club.

Because, evidently, none of those games are considered good enough any more because they're not "open world".

chopstik

Banned
Controller response feels zippy and consistent throughout, carefully avoiding the heavy feel present on some 30fps racing games. Indeed, performance is rock solid with DriveClub delivering a locked 30fps with no frame drops or frame-time anomalies whatsoever - a huge upgrade from the variable frame-rates seen in the work-in-progress 2013 builds. Instead, differences in handling come down to the properties of individual cars, with some feeling weightier to drive than others. The use of camera and object blur also helps to keep panning movements smooth, which is usually an area where 30fps titles tend to feel lacklustre. The effect works in tandem with depth of field, adding an extra layer of intensity when racing, simulating the distress felt by the driver during hard hitting collisions, or the sensation of speed when flying past locations at over 150mph.

this part is legit. this is why the game is just a blast to play.

coastel

I meant the cars as you quoted some one who mentioned them and its personal opinion. Project cars does not look as good apart from the obvious iq imo and if drive club had PC iq advantage I think pretty much every one would maybe agree to. Also it's the same old PC gaf crapping on a console game Im getting to the point where im not gonna bother responding to them as there trolls or have an agenda and yea Im.from uk have to wait till friday as well :(. Hoping its decent but if not will have project cars to fall back on to when its out.

Synth

I meant the cars as you quoted some one who mentioned them and its personal opinion. Project cars does not look as good apart from the obvious iq imo and if drive club had PC iq advantage I think pretty much every one would maybe agree to. Also it's the same old PC gaf crapping on a console game Im getting to the point where im not gonna bother responding to them as there trolls or have an agenda and yea Im.from uk have to wait till friday as well :(. Hoping its decent but if not will have project cars to fall back on to when its out.

If Driveclub had a PC version with higher quality textures, 16xAF, bullshot level AA, 60fps and so on... then yea, you definitely wouldn't be hearing me saying I think Project Cars looks better. I've previously made the same statement about Mario Kart 8 in comparison to Sonic Racing Transformed. On console, MK8 wins easily and if it had a PC version, it would handily beat Sonic there too. The thing is though, it doesn't have a PC version, and I think the PC version of Sonic Transformed looks nicer than the only version of MK8 that exists.

I don't want my posts to come across as some "PC Master Race" bs, because in general I prefer to play games on consoles, unless the performance factor is important enough to the game itself (such as both Sonic Generations and Sonic Transformed). I'm just saying I think Project Cars PC looks better overall to me, and that I'd count IQ as part of a game's graphics.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
This line here...

...is just total bullshit. This pervading mentality that open world automatically means better. No, it doesn't. Especially not in a racing game.

Can't be said enough. I'm really tired of this narrative... Open world is the worst thing to happen to the racing genre imho.

Those bullshots are way too oversaturated with high contrast, to the point where black levels lose detail. Not to mention the gradient filters they were obviously bullshots and not something you should expect in the final game; people knew what to expect from the colors since the very first gameplay footage Evo showed. There was nothing misleading if people actually watched the various gameplay videos the devs posted throughout the game's development.

The final color palette is fine though and doesn't look washed out at all. I'm really glad the colors aren't oversaturated like those bullshots, the game already has plenty of color.

qzqlio.jpg

Honestly that pic looks like shit, i can post a pic of gt5 and it would looks better, it's amazing cause when i watch the gamersyde video it looks like 2 different games. just a example of what i'm talking about

JllGe.jpg

now in motion it's a different story. DC destroys GT5 of course.

coastel

If Driveclub had a PC version with higher quality textures, 16xAF, bullshot level AA, 60fps and so on... then yea, you definitely wouldn't be hearing me saying I think Project Cars looks better. I've previously made the same statement about Mario Kart 8 in comparison to Sonic Racing Transformed. On console, MK8 wins easily and if it had a PC version, it would handily beat Sonic there too. The thing is though, it doesn't have a PC version, and I think the PC version of Sonic Transformed looks nicer than the only version of MK8 that exists.

I don't want my posts to come across as some "PC Master Race" bs, because in general I prefer to play games on consoles, unless the performance factor is important enough to the game itself (such as both Sonic Generations and Sonic Transformed). I'm just saying I think Project Cars PC looks better overall to me, and that I'd count IQ as part of a game's graphics.

I didn't mean you when I said it and yea sonic racing.last gen genuinely impressed me but after plating new gen the imperfections stick out alot probably why you have the opinion of pcars as your used to great IQ and yes you do count that but mainly when IQ is good enough (from what I have seen ill know better friday) then you look at the rest to. Its only my opinion so take it as you will.

Listen, the game looks amazing on shrooms. I'm surprised that isn't part of the analysis.
I mean, have any of you really seen Driveclub.............?

GameSeeker

The key to compare apples to apples. Console racers to console racers. PC racers to PC racers. DriveClub looks better (from a purely graphical perspective) than any of it's console competition: Project Cars, FM5, FH2, or The Crew.

Now, yes, on the PC, Project Cars looks awesome, but that's because it can take advantage of very expensive and powerful PC hardware.. As you point out, if DriveClub had a PC version it would run at 60fps, support 4K rendering, any type of AA you wanted, etc. and it would look better than Project Cars.

The good news is that both console owners and PC owners will have great looking racers to play this fall.

UnrealEck

I watched the DF Forza video and now the DriveClub video and I think Forza looks better. I was surprised by how it looked for a game running on the lesser powered hardware. It looks like DC has better collisions and physics though.

coastel

The key to compare apples to apples. Console racers to console racers. PC racers to PC racers. DriveClub looks better (from a purely graphical perspective) than any of it's console competition: Project Cars, FM5, FH2, or The Crew.

Now, yes, on the PC, Project Cars looks awesome, but that's because it can take advantage of very expensive and powerful PC hardware.. As you point out, if DriveClub had a PC version it would run at 60fps, support 4K rendering, any type of AA you wanted, etc. and it would look better than Project Cars.

The good news is that both console owners and PC owners will have great looking racers to play this fall.

Amen to that last bit as at the moment ps4 has no
driving
games.

benzy

Honestly that pic looks like shit, i can post a pic of gt5 and it would looks better, it's amazing cause when i watch the gamersyde video it looks like 2 different games. just a example of what i'm talking about

So what happened to it being washed out looking in one of your previous comments, that's supposedly damaging to the graphics? lol I gave you a picture with color and now it's being compared to an non-native res GT5 pic... You want a pic that looks better than that GT5 image?

zljgts.jpg

boeso

Honestly that pic looks like shit, i can post a pic of gt5 and it would looks better.

Close your eyes. Now imagine a console 10 times more powerful than the PS3. There is no way GT 5 can ever look better than Driveclub. It is impossible.

Synth

I think the key is probably not to bother directly comparing them at all really, as apples to apples simply never really exists. Forza 5 and Projects Cars on console are 60fps, Forza Horizon 2 and The Crew are open-world... any sim racer typically gets saddled with bland real-world circuits rather than having the freedom of being set in any exotic location the devs can dream up, and so on. If I were forced to compare all the console offerings however, than right now (prior to actually having played it myself) I'd say that Driveclub is the best looking out of all the console racers, but I wouldn't really say there's anything that would be an apples to apples comparison against it.

Wynnebeck

Banned

JllGe.jpg

now in motion it's a different story. DC destroys GT5 of course.

LOL HAHAHAHA Ok now I know you are trolling now! You know the reason why those trees look so good right?

Corine

Personally I think Halo on orig Xbox looks graphically more impressive than Quake 1 at whatever resolution and AF you crank it to.

Not really sure I get the point of comparing games 5 years apart. I think the new Wolfenstein looks better graphically than Doom 1. Doesn't change the fact that IQ plays a huge role in graphics.

BeeDog

The game looks like a jaggy mess in screenshots; I truly hope the upcoming photo mode supersamples the image like the modes in GT5/6/FM5/FH2. Still, the game looks infinitely better while playing it yourself; goddamn at some of the stages/lighting conditions.

impact

Banned
This so much. I don't get why the open world for racing is be-all, end-all. I like just loading up a track and fucking racing.

Burnout 3 >>>>>>> Burnout Paradise.

and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rivals >>> MW2012

Open world ruins racing games.

admartian

Good stuff. Love how that they've mentioned that fps is locked down TIGHT. Not that I've noticed anything.

Also interestingly, people someplace have resorted to calling them "Digital Farce" - a term I find as laughable (and sad) as "M$".

Top Bottom