• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs DriveClub

JaggedSac

Forza Horizon 2 is the one that's on the minds now. Games journalists apparently have the memories of fucking peas, and so their only frame of reference is a racing game that released within the past month.

That's the only explanation for this rampant, coordinated batch of high octane fucking stupidity coming out of these sites regarding DriveClub and open world racers.

And they're also so fucking devoid of brain cells that they're also incapable of recognizing there is nothing inherently new or next-gen about open world games. Fucking christ.

I wouldn't say FH is the only one. Several of the previously closed course arcade style racers have gone open world such as Need for Speed and Burnout(rest its soul). Regardless, that certainly is a dumb thing to want from every arcade racer from here on out.

kyser73

Nope, I watched that gamebomb video

oh here we go, how DARE someone question driveclub

Just for your info buddy, these are other peoples opinion on the game, not mine, so your argument is null and void!

and just FYI just go in the destiny thread and see how PSN is ruining peoples enjoyment of the game

if you are going to quote have the balls to put it into context

I am not saying the game is shit, EG said when you corner, The Anti-Fun police arrive

Gamebomb said the AI is stuck and knocks you out of the way

if you are saying they are lying then fine, but take it up with them, not me

he quoted my MS quote without giving it context after 5 pages of people complaining about PSN being shit for the last month, but he decided not to tell people that

trying to make me look a turd

So all you're doing is repeating what other people have said, rather than offering your own opinion?

What are you, a parrot? A mynah bird? Some kind of opinion chameleon?

Have an idea of your own or don't bother.

Tak3n

Banned
shelly-marsh.jpg

I was answering a question as to whether you'd played it or not, I found a quote that said 'that's why I went with xbox one' which was enough to tell me your ragging on the game via GB (as you were previously) and that you hadn't played the game.

The context was right there, you just decided to lose it (hint: it wasn't the part about PSN and Destiny)

not once did I rage on the game

it was said the game looked great, but gameplay is not (backed up by many review sites, but disputed by others)

all I said was I wish games concentrated more on gameplay, less on graphics...

that is it, simple as that

Mikey Jr.

I like how these guys noted at the end that they enjoyed the game more than the reviewer did haha. Good write up and looking forward to playing on Friday!

Yeah, game reviewers seem kinda divided. Giant Bomb gave it a 2/5, but gametrailers gave it a 8.6.

Guess its one of those things you have to play.

Amir0x

Banned
I wouldn't say FH is the only one. Several of the previously closed course arcade style racers have gone open world such as Need for Speed and Burnout(rest its soul). Regardless, that certainly is a dumb thing to want from every arcade racer from here on out.

These motherfuckers don't remember that shit. They keep using open world as a reference for feeling "new" or "next gen" enough, and Burnout and Need for Speed had that sort of shit prior to this generation. And open world racers have been around forever.

These guys can only recall Forza Horizon 2, because it's the only explanation for their inability to piece together even the most basic comprehension about what has gone on in this genre for fucking thirty years.

Seanspeed

Banned
Doesn't mean you have to use it as a con in a review. It's beyond stupid.
Telling reviewers how they have to think is beyond stupid.

I enjoy platforming in mario platformers. BUT I don't want to walk around for 5 minutes until I reached the actual stage, because that's wasting my time.
So you've never played Mario 64, I'm guessing? ;)

You want to race a certain track. Instead of just driving that certain track, you are effectively forced to drive around for 5 minutes until you actually found that certain track because lol open world. Sounds silly, doesn't it?
No, it doesn't. Not to mention that many open world games feature a form of fast travel.

Some people genuinely do enjoy the act of driving around, as much as that may surprise you. There's a reason that open world driving games are becoming more popular. People actually do like this part of it.

Let's put that into the next Gran Turismo. Instead of actually driving in a race, you are forced to get there first. By flying a plane, driving a regular car. Maybe even changing clothes. Because that's not totally silly.
I've always wanted an open-world sim racer, actually. I think Forza Horizon was based on the pleas of Forza Motorsport fans for an 'open world' Forza game(or a freeroam map within Forza Motorsport), except they messed up and dumbed down the physics. Many people enjoy it still, obviously, but its not quite what I was hoping for.

But anyways, like I mentioned earlier, people will treat sim racers and arcade racers with different expectations. Closed-track racing in sims is exactly what is expected.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In gameplay terms, the lack of open world exploration and use of fixed tracks may seem a little behind the times
No, damn it. I hate this opinion.

A racing game doesn't need to be open world. I'm really growing sick of this trend.

Tak3n

Banned
So all you're doing is repeating what other people have said, rather than offering your own opinion?

What are you, a parrot? A mynah bird? Some kind of opinion chameleon?

Have an idea of your own or don't bother.

I did, you just chose not to quote that one

not once did I rage on the game

it was said the game looked great, but gameplay is not (backed up by many review sites, but disputed by others)

all I said was I wish games concentrated more on gameplay, less on graphics...

that is it, simple as that

Developers goal was immersive game which is possible only when everything are great especially graphics otherwise it won't be immersive other than just fun racer breaking the immersion which they can get from Graphics like they are driving in those real worlds.

Drifters

Burnout Paradise, Forza Horizon 1/2
-

Hoping the PS+ version is out soonish tho. I really want to try this game as it looks gorgeous.
Haven't followed Forza since I had my 360. Open world meaning a large sandbox to drive around in like NFS Most Wanted et al? *Shrug*

Forza Horizon 2 is the one that's on the minds now. Games journalists apparently have the memories of fucking peas, and so their only frame of reference is a racing game that released within the past month.

That's the only explanation for this rampant, coordinated batch of high octane fucking stupidity coming out of these sites regarding DriveClub and open world racers.

And they're also so fucking devoid of the ability to rub two brain cells together that they're also incapable of recognizing there is nothing inherently new or next-gen about open world games. This shit is genuinely infuriating at this point.

Amir0x; Someone should give you a medal or hire you at Sony. :) The voice of reason in an otherwise salty world apparently.

GTA V - that's the best one currently available.
I meant same genre.

NfS Most Wanted old and new, Hot Pursuit and Rivals. The Crew (soon but many played the beta).
Ahhh yes. That seems odd given the context of the game since it is about A to Z tracks based on how it is region based. Really seems odd that it would count against them for developing something that looks insanely good and looks like a ton of fun to play.

Synth

I enjoy platforming in mario platformers. BUT I don't want to walk around for 5 minutes until I reached the actual stage, because that's wasting my time.

You want to race a certain track. Instead of just driving that certain track, you are effectively forced to drive around for 5 minutes until you actually found that certain track because lol open world. Sounds silly, doesn't it?

Let's put that into the next Gran Turismo. Instead of actually driving in a race, you are forced to get there first. By flying a plane, driving a regular car. Maybe even changing clothes. Because that's not totally silly.

Outside of transitioning between road trips, Horizon doesn't really force you to drive everywhere either. You can just fast travel to where you need to be. It's not inherently a problem to open-world game, only a possible design choice.

You could make and open-world racer set in Ridge City, and still have the core game be essentially unchanged if you wanted.

Burnout 3 is probably the best arcade racer out there. And the game isn't open world.

F-zero and Wipeout would be total shit if they would be open world as well.

Linearity in arcade racers can't be called old-fashioned. Skill-based racing and memorizing the map is what makes an aracde racer fun for me.

If I want to play an open world racing game, I'll boot up GTA V.

Daytona USA actually... but I get your point. :p

I do think referring to closed circuit arcade racers can be called old-fashioned though. I don't believe it's necessarily a negative, but once trends move away from a given style and few games continue to adhere to it, I would say "old-fashioned" is a correct description. For example, I'd say Street Fighter 4, and Killer Instinct 2013 are old-fashioned in terms of their single player content, when compared to the stuff Netherrealm and ArcSys are doing. That doesn't prevent me preferring the former two though.

It kinda does. Most of the time, an open world means sacrifices in frame rates, which are very important in arcade racers. Can you imagine F-Zero GX being open world @ 30fps? The only 60fps open world racing game i know of is Burnout Paradise. But Forza had to do this sacrifice. Its not worth it IMO.

Open world is more useful when you explore and racing games aren't exploration games if you can't get out of the car.

You can definitely explore even when forced to remain in the car. The car is simply your player avatar in the game.. it makes little difference if that is swapped with a slower human character. Most of the same buildings would still remain inaccessible.

Not that this discussion matters a whole lot when we're talking about a 30fps circuit racer. It's running in a similar fashion to FH2, so framerate isn't really an argument against open-world racers here.

JaggedSac

These motherfuckers don't remember that shit. They keep using open world as a reference for feeling "new" or "next gen" enough, and Burnout and Need for Speed had that sort of shit prior to this generation. And open world racers have been around forever.

These guys can only recall Forza Horizon 2, because it's the only explanation for their inability to piece together even the most basic comprehension about what has gone on in this genre for fucking thirty years.

What was the most recent closed course arcade racer? Ridge Racer? I don't play a lot of racing games so I honestly don't know. Just trying to see where the game space is. Much like for a while people didn't give a shit about arena shooters and probably scored games poorly if that was all they were. They seem to be making a comeback though.

florin3k3

This line here...

...is just total bullshit. This pervading mentality that open world automatically means better. No, it doesn't. Especially not in a racing game.

I read it more like "yeah, we know reviewers are saying open world is more next gen but we like this regardless"
Along those lines

Low anisotropic filtering is expected, but FXAA? Why? I'd preffer no anti-aliasing than FXAA. Has this game been nothing but bad news lately?

Tak3n

Banned
Developers goal was immersive game which is possible only when everything are great especially graphics otherwise it won't be immersive other than just fun racer breaking the immersion which they can get from Graphics like they are driving in those real worlds.

how is the immersion in 3rd person, I can not remember where I read it but someone said bumper or cockpit view is excellent, but behind the car feels off

kyser73

I did, you just chose not to quote that one

What, this:

You know what, it is about time we all move past these silliness over how good it looks

So you can sit there and go 'wow' but the game is not very good! I would of much rather they spent more resources on making the game play better

Wouldn't you?

Gameplay should always be king, it is a shame we seem to moving further and further from that!

Sensi Soccer anyone!

Repeating received opinion isn't having an idea or an opinion of your own.

You haven't played the game, so all you're doing is telling us what someone else thinks. Well done.

Also - it's 'would have' or 'would've', not 'would of'.

IcyEyes

You know what, it is about time we all move past these silliness over how good it looks

So you can sit there and go 'wow' but the game is not very good! I would of much rather they spent more resources on making the game play better

Wouldn't you?

Gameplay should always be king, it is a shame we seem to moving further and further from that!

Sensi Soccer anyone!

If you play this game you will understand it delivers a very, very good gameplay.
Don't let the shepherd guide you !

Ps we are really off topic.

Amir0x

Banned

A racing game doesn't need to be open world. I'm really growing sick of this trend.

Review, Carmageddon (1997):

It's fair to say that as a racing game, Carmageddon is breaking all sorts of new ground. Featuring the ability to run over pedestrians while you race around an expansive open world, other corridor racers feel positively stale compared to the in-your-face next-gen freedom of such a progressive racing game. Other racing games will forever after feel inherently inferior and, as a rule, will always be marked down for not meeting my own pathetic standards for what I feel is acceptable within the genre. If you do not include these items on the checklist, please don't even bother sending a game to me to review.

Drifters

Funny, cuz all these defensive reactions like his are the ones I tend to see as 'salty'.

Can you fault a goat simulator for being "too open world" ? Serious question; I feel like Digital Foundry should investigate that next. To your point though, a driving game like Driveclub is what it is and quite frankly, it is a big step forward in game design and experience.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Review, Carmageddon (1997):

It's fair to say that as a racing game, Carmageddon is breaking all sorts of new ground. Featuring the ability to run over pedestrians while you race around an expansive open world, other corridor racers feel positively stale compared to the in-your-face next-gen freedom of such a progressive racing game. Other racing games will forever after feel inherently inferior and, as a rule, will always be marked down for not meeting my own pathetic standards for what I feel is acceptable within the genre. If you do not include these items on the checklist, please don't even bother sending a game to me to review.
Heh, funny. I actually kind of liked that game back then but it was always a terrible racing game.

Amir0x

Banned
Funny, cuz all these defensive reactions like his are the ones I tend to see as 'salty'.

I've explained my positions in such extensive detail in the various DC topics at this point that it's frankly no surprise that you're coming to the defense of these half-assed pathetic journalistic standards. Much like the reviews , previews and technical overviews that are getting this scorn, you lack the ability to critically analyze anything at length.

Synth

Driveclub is what it is and quite frankly, it is a big step forward in game design and experience.

I'm going to admit that I've yet to play Driveclub (stuck waiting until the 10th), but could you detail what you think makes this the case? Because I'm struggling to see it personally.

Well they seem to get the idea behind the game a bit better than a lot of other reviews.

I'm kinda puzzled about the AA solutions. Isn't there a better way? I can live with the minimal jaggies, but i would rather see them even less aparent and i thought it could be possible in this game.. The game looks super-stunning and very realistic because of the excellent lighting. In these cases of brilliantly detailed cars jaggies become extra unimmersive. That's a shame.

Can't wait to see what Evolution can do with this engine next. Lord.

This was just there first go with the PS4. Same with all of WWS so far. Been killing it.

2nd generation of engines will be even more polished and great looking. Going to be insane to see what these guys can come up with 2-3 years from now.

I wonder if this be brought up when Project Cars releases lol.

I can almost guarantee it will not.

Raist

Banned

Well, they say "may seem", and I think their quick comment about how DC should be viewed for what it is is a very good one.

But yes, the whole "next gen is all about dat open world racing mang" is really stupid, especially since the genre has been around for ages.

IcyEyes

the lack of open world exploration and use of fixed tracks may seem a little behind the times

This is pretty unbelievable ... Now we have complains for a game that is not what they want it to be ?

It's a racing game with tracks, I don't know if these people understand this.

Can you fault a goat simulator for being "too open world" ? Serious question; I feel like Digital Foundry should investigate that next. To your point though, a driving game like Driveclub is what it is and quite frankly, it is a big step forward in game design and experience.

I don't see it.

R_Deckard

DriveClub is not exactly trying to replicate real world racing, though.

And by the way, the *actual* article has plenty of talk about graphics for those interested.....

er yes it is, road racing as that happens in 4 and 2 wheeled environments.

Must admit the article has too much "gameplay" comments for a technical article.

This open-word or bust scenario is getting really old! is != to better game.

SoM for example had such a diverse map size and side missions I got confused which where story or side missions from time to time, nothing wrong with a game having a strong story or limited aspect if that is its aim.

thelastword

Banned
The game is still work in progress though. I think as it is now, it looks great. It's definitely the most detailed racer out there with the best vistas. I'm thinking, that Evo might have held off on implementing a more effective AA solution or perhaps the final pass of AA due to the weather patch incoming. It's obvious that adding dynamic weather and it's effects will put an additional load on the graphical pipeline, maybe they have tested it and decided to stay their hand a bit. in essence,why go for uber anti-aliasing if it's going to make your game drop frames when the dynamic weather patch drops. Just my 2 cents.

c0de

Huh? A DF thread without technical discussion? Well, they mention pop-ins which were clearly visible in videos posted but the game is a rock solid 30 fps which is amazing going by the detail. Still they spotted some "tricks" by devs to free up GPU time but overall a truly next-gen racing game.

FeD.nL

This is pretty unbelievable ... Now we have complains for a game that is not what they want it to be ?

It's a racing game with tracks, I don't know if these people understand this.

It's insane really, it really seems that reviewers these days review products on what they don't have and not the product itself. But ah well anything for the clicks.

crazyprac

I've explained my positions in such extensive detail in the various DC topics at this point that it's frankly no surprise that you're coming to the defense of these half-assed pathetic journalistic standards. Much like the reviews , previews and technical overviews that are getting this scorn, you lack the ability to critically analyze anything at length.

Gawd damn shots fired. But you're on point.

Telling reviewers how they have to think is beyond stupid
Wrong! Putting personal likings like this in a review is stupid. It's like the Football Manager review by IGN years ago. Giving the game a lower score because you don't like the genre is beyond stupid.

What's next?
Bad Street Fighter review because it doesn't have Fatalities?
Bad Super Mario review because it doesn't have a level creator like LittleBigPlanet?

It makes zero sense.

Nyx

I don't see it.

''Here's a car, a closed track and your friend(s), go race, within seconds after clicking ''race'' in the menu''

For me that is a breath of fresh air inbetween all the racinggames that make you customize everything, buy better parts, and/or have an open world.

Synth

er yes it is, road racing as that happens in 4 and 2 wheeled environments.

When you put it like that though, then you're basically claiming that Ridge Racer and Daytona USA are trying to replicate real-world racing though.... which they're quite obviously not.

FeiRR

Banned
Next year FIFA goes open world and between the matches you have to spend hours in the airports, getting through security and waiting for connecting flights. This will be awesome.

It's insane really, it really seems that reviewers these days review products on what they don't have and not the product itself. But ah well anything for the clicks.
I have bad news for you. I worked in gaming press in the 1990s and it was already a common practice. I still feel ashamed because I wrote a review of Command & Conquer based on just a few levels. It was published alright.

Top Bottom