• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Too bad that the AA isn't particularly brilliant. There is a lot of shimmering. (Playing the PS4 version)

ryushe

Looks good. Didn't watch the entire video in the link, but I'm honestly surprised it kept a locked 30 the entire time of my watching. Worth the double dip for that alone.

GTA V might have been the reason why I finally caved and bought a PS4 but if the Xbox One version is pretty much identical, or even better, my wallet has just been saved.

Indeed. Wild accusations thrown around without even a shred of evidence to back them up. It really is quite annoying. Is your opinion the same with the writer's? You win. Does the writer have a different opinion? Accuse them of bias, you win. Sigh.

Anyway, it's cool that Rockstar managed a 1080p resolution on both consoles and managed to update the visuals too, but I think that given the last-gen roots the game they should have maybe strived to achieve a 60 fps framerate. The game looks undeniably good but 60 fps doesn't quite seem outside the realm of possibility.

I think with the Jaguar CPU's , 60FPS open-world games are out of the question on console's this gen or they'd have to find some crazy optimization with GPGPU .

JON4495

I noticed when playing golf online the framerate gets really bad for some reason. When my friend waa hitting the ball it was like a slideshow.

Tycho_b

Pretty sure DF have mentioned a few times before having to buy other versions themselves...

Yeah... In the same time mother site is working on the review... I find it a bit strange but let's see. It would be ironical to have a weaker console perform better.

Looks like MS plan to catch up with PS4 on performance of key games this year (Diablo, Destiny, GTA) worked. Sony gave the f...ks, they could ensure their version outperforms the other, but didn't. MS did and I guess they will score some sales.

Seanspeed

Banned
Figures. Gotta hit that 1080 mark no matter what, eh?
Sometimes games just have aliasing issues that wont go away. I can play Alien Isolation at 2160p and still has the persistent aliasing issues present while playing at 1080p.

I don't know if that's the case here, but I wouldn't rule it out. We'll be able to find out in January, at least....

theWB27

Yeah... In the same time mother site is working on the review... I find it a bit strange but let's see. It would be ironical to have a weaker console perform better.

Looks like MS plan to catch up with PS4 on performance of key games this year (Diablo, Destiny, GTA) worked. Sony gave the f...ks, they could ensure their version outperforms the other, but didn't. MS did and I guess they will score some sales.

There's a reason Microsoft's the one who has to make their version runs as good and Sony doesn't.

ekim

Ditto.

The black crush is developer-dependent?

I thought it was seen in everything. I even see it in the HDMi passthrough.

Oh then you might have to change your RGB settings to limited output if you are using a TV and not a pc monitor. The ever appearing crushed blacks stem from the upscaler which also added a sharpen effect when the X1 released.

danowat

Banned
To put things into perspective, the mentioned judder appeared like 2-3 times in my 2 hour session yesterday for about 3-5 seconds.

I've only put an hour or so into it, but I noticed no judder at all, I remember the last gen had issues streaming the data, I would imagine the engine isn't a massive departure from the old one, so I wonder if the streaming issues are still present.

The external HDD is well known to increase load times, I wonder if it also helps streamed data as well.

Or I am barking up the wrong tree here.

vesvci

Banned
Oh then you might have to change your RGB settings to limited output if you are using a TV and not a pc monitor. The ever appearing crushed blacks stem from the upscaler which also added a sharpen effect when the X1 released.

Yea, TV. Hmm, I'm gonna look into this. Thx.

FXAA sucks, but sounds great otherwise. People saying it's no upgrade are crazy.

And of course the game has jaggies. It's only 1080p and an open world game with very delicate geometry and a bright color palette. I really don't know what some were expecting.

Vein

Banned
From the acticle.

"gameplay is mostly locked at 30fps with just minor fluctuations beneath its target. Curiously, despite a consistent update, judder can manifest a little during gameplay - a curious effect."

Hehe. Judder is inherent to 30FPS itself. Sometimes I really wish these guys would clarify things more. Line really makes no sense. As if 30FPS is somehow this clean even framerate where everything is buttery smooth lol.

They must be talking about massive dips here. I can barely even play a game with free camera at 30FPS anymore.

c0de

Sounds like a solid performance to me. Judder is bad but if it is like Ekim says it's not that much of a problem. Good port, Rockstar!

psn

Do you notice a lot of frame rate drops, or is it rare?
Played the tutorial and the first mission, frames went down once, and it wasn't a taxing situation, might be the "judder" they were talking about. But my game is not downloaded 100% atm.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Do you notice a lot of frame rate drops, or is it rare?

Didn't notice any, and I am usually quite sensitive to that. The apparent lack of motion blur might make the game feel less smooth than other 30fps titles, though.

Can someone explain what is judder?

In theory when you play a 30fps game on a 60hz screen you should be getting a new frame every other time the screen updates. Judder happens when you get two new frames in a row which usually means the second new frame will be displayed three times before the frame pacing gets back on track. That irregularity is the judder Digital Foundry is talking about.

Bastardo

Eurogamer.de already reviewed the PS4 version. They said:

http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/2014-11-17-gta-v-test-ps4-und-xbox-one
"Diese Dimensionen, diese Kombination aus unglaublicher Fernsicht und Details aus der Nähe liefert bisher kein anderes Spiel, schon gar nicht mit den hier sehr stabilen 30 Frames in 1080p (PS4 getestet, sollte die One-Version anders laufen, wird Digital Foundry uns das in Kürze verraten). "
This translates to:
"These dimensions, these combinations of wide view distance and details in the vicinity are not yet implemented in any other game, especially not with the very stable 30 fps in 1080p. (Tested was PS4 version. Digital Foundry will elucidate soon, whether the XB1 version differs in this aspect."

In other words: FPS-wise the PS4 should also deliver stable 30fps.

Huh.

Maybe the frame drops people talked about on PS4 is actually this judder.

I remember Destiny Alpha had it pretty bad but was still technically a solid 30. Hopefully its something R* patches.

FranXico

Right. Thank you guys.

I'll let the game finish installing itself from disc and also patch it before launching then, to avoid any issues.

Top Bottom