• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

I'm loving how stable the frame rate looks. That was my main fear after how the PS3 performed. Can't wait to pick it up this afternoon!

JavaMind

Banned
DF is having a weird behaviour from last face-offs. It is weird to show xone version first since most of Europe own ps4 and not xone.

Hanmik

I parked the bus there and completed a mission then a driver spawned in it. You could do it on 360

I posted the link to show that the Xbox One version looks good.. nothing about the bus.. lol.. to me it looks sharp and good. Much better than I remember the PS3 version.

omonimo

Banned
That's true, but that game doesn't have the most lively city
Unity a lively city, well... the AI it's very simplistic from what we see. Still, I want to see another developer work in something of similar before to understand how much cpu are limiting here. Lately, I have great problems to understand why suddenly ubisoft is became the new landmark in this territory when they have the horrible habit to release such buggy products far away to be optimized at the best. Imho.

Respawn

Banned
I doubt that will be case here.
Considering the X1 version is pretty solid in terms of performance and 1080p, there shouldn't be much difference between both versions, not much left to improve since the PS4 version is also aiming for 30fps and assets should be identical across both platforms.
PS4 is now aiming? Lol looks like some folks are taking that mess called unity to seriously.

Others have reported this and I see it as well, there seems to be something funky going on with the gamma curve. I tried fixing this with the in-game brightness settings, even though my TV is well calibrated, but no luck. Game is either washed out or too dark. My RGB settings are correct. PS4 version here. I also did see some drops/judder while driving, but could not replicate it again afterwards.

DOF effect might be a bit much.

Overall this seems to be an amazing remaster. Fixed stereo sound as well. And not hearing the PS3 drive go nuts nonstop is a huge plus for me.

But please look into the gamma, R*!

mike4001_

DF is having a weird behaviour from last face-offs. It is weird to show xone version first since most of Europe own ps4 and not xone.

Doesn't look like it was their choice.

If they could they would have given us the X1 vs. PS4 face-off we are all interested in :)

omonimo

Banned
Others have reported this and I see it as well, there seems to be something funky going on with the gamma curve. I tried fixing this with the in-game brightness settings, even though my TV is well calibrated, but no luck. Game is either washed out or too dark. My RGB settings are correct. PS4 version here. I also did see some drops/judder while driving, but could not replicate it again afterwards.

Overall this seems to be an amazing remaster. Fixed stereo sound as well. And not hearing the PS3 drive go nuts nonstop is a huge plus for me.

Is it RGB setting on full? I don't know if sony has fixed it but auto on my ps4 is like limited RGB from awhile. I need to force setting to full RGB for the full gamma.

From the main thread

Here some PS4 vs X1 screenshots
B2rcWIpCMAAzlu5.jpg

B2rbzbWCAAEint9.jpg

PS4 has more Grass

I played the PS4 version last night (updated, etc) and the frame rate seemed very solid; I didn't notice any judder. That doesn't involve a ton of explosions and so forth, but speeding through the city at various times of days was very smooth as far as I could tell.

shandy706

Confirms that the X1 copy runs as well as I thought.

Very glad to see that it does. It was nice escaping last gen framerates with GTA.

Hurley

Same, mainly when zipping through los santos around that big construction building, I don't know if it's frame drops or judder.

RyudBoy

So I take it this was a stealth parity release? From every comparison I've seen so far (and first hand experience with the XB1 version) there's no reason to believe there is anything different between the two, which is quite shocking. I totally expected the PS4 version to look better, but that just isn't the case here. Everything from resolution to textures and shadows look the same. Maybe some in-depth analysis will show that the PS4 version runs better performance-wise under heavy load, but from messing around on XB1, I haven't encounter any major dips to suggest that.

So I take it this was a stealth parity release? From every comparison I've seen so far (and first hand experience with the XB1 version) there's no reason to believe there is anything different between the two, which is quite shocking. I totally expected the PS4 version to look better, but that just isn't the case here. Everything from resolution to textures and shadows look the same. Maybe some in-depth analysis will show that the PS4 version runs better performance-wise under heavy load, but from messing around on XB1, I haven't encounter any major dips to suggest that.

If the shots above are genuine, no parity.

Mr Moose

Wait, did they add the PS4 version to the face-off already?

Hurley

Look a few posts up from yours.

JavaMind

Banned

Look the grass a few posts before yours...

omonimo

Banned
Looks like the xbox 360 version to me!!!
Grass on 360 still it's even more subtle than the xone shot. To be honest I doubt even it exists a single area with dense grass in the ps360 version.
P.S. mmm ground texture are really horrible in the xbone version, give me some doubt.

Cavalier

Banned
That was a waste of time to read.

Judging from ps4 and X1 screens, there isn't much difference between the 2. (Grass doesn't affect gameplay)

So it's worth picking up on XB1? Will probably get it after I refund MCC

Will any of my progress from the PS3 version follow through? Guessing not

Chris1

Grass looks stupid on xbox one if those pics are legit, why have what will look like random patches of grass?

Personally would rather it was 900p with grass everywhere instead of in patches.

Mr Moose

So it's worth picking up on XB1? Will probably get it after I refund MCC

Will any of my progress from the PS3 version follow through? Guessing not

If you've played it this year on PS3, then it should do (apparently a bug if you haven't played in a while your stuff doesn't transfer over).

system11

It's like EG and Sony are suddenly bad friends at the moment. I'm starting to think the conspiracy theorists over there might not be entirely crazy.

Grass looks stupid on xbox one if those pics are legit, why have what will look like random patches of grass?

Personally would rather it was 900p with grass everywhere instead of in patches.

I think they are not legit. Floor texture is too bad and I remember a very similar pic from a last gen comparison...

edit: Guess I was wrong, map seems to prove it is legit.

Derpyduck

Banned
Played the first mission on PS4. Looks kind of bad to me.
First mission on PS4(Franklin doing a repo job) exhibited a lot of framerate issues to me, but it could have just been this odd judder that the reviewer mentions in the XB1 version. It's nowhere near as bad as on 360. The thing that bothers me most is pop-in occurring almost immediately in front of me. I saw it mainly on foliage. But I had turned off DoF, so perhaps that contributed.

Top Bottom