• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

cackhyena

someone want to perhaps discuss why this trailer released like 2 weeks before launch had swaying trees and shrubs and the game does not? seriously for how much GAF goes nuts about grass differences, why is no one else bothered by this? the swaying foliage goes a long way to making the world feel alive, probably more than just there being more grass!
It's one of those things I really don't care about unless it feels like it's wind actually affecting the foliage. Even then, I'm not stopping to admire it all very long. But most games that have this, it just looks like the trees, plants, whatever, are breathing, rather than being swayed by wind. Looks fake.

danowat

Banned

Glad they've cleared it up :)

This is curious as our initial attempts to get some like-for-like comparisons revealed no appreciable difference at all.

However, the more locations we visited, the more it became clear that PlayStation 4 does possess the advantage in terms of detail level - it's just that the extent of the boost varies on a per-location level. In our first set of clips, we took the road north and explored the mountainside, finding no appreciable difference. However, spawning a chopper and flying onto the Vinewood hills, we discover plenty of areas where the results of the screenshot comparisons are borne out.

Screenshots circulating the internet show that plant-life is more abundant on PS4, but the scale of the advantage varies depending on location and foliage density.

Yea I know what you mean, they can easily patch the second GPU in.

Goddamn, calm down guys. Check my post history, I'm not a troll and I'm not trying to say the XBone is stronger or as strong as the PS4. It's just that it looks like a big difference, one that we haven't seen in multiplats so far. And in what looks like a not so resource-hungry game (yeah the game is huge but it's a revamped version of the last gen game, not a new engine, built from the ground up, etc).

If they're going to try and con people by using cutscenes as proof, they could at least make sure this doesn't happen:

gtav9ueho.png

Gotta crush them blacks.

EDIT: Oh, it's fake. Well good thing.

Still, looking at other comparison pics, I still see a greater increase of contrast on the XB1 that makes things "pop". Mainly in the shadows of the trees.

Gurish

Damn thread grew into a monster since the last time i was here, anyone can summarize the differences?
Better grass and a lens flare effect and a little more stable FPS on PS4? anything I've missed?

-griffy-

Banned
Edit** The video is from a very early mission...so small SPOILER if you're worried.

A couple (smaller) grabs from the video.

hufsts.gif

rvctvn.gif

Edit* This Video..that I posted above.

I also check out the pool, tile textures, go inside the house.

Edit 2** Argh, come on guys...let's talk about textures, and res, and DOF and stuffs..lol

http://youtu.be/PplF3Fc7q-w
They really did put a lot of work in that I think many people are overlooking. Stuff like parallax mapping that many console games simply haven't used, even on current consoles. I think people are really not remembering just how poor some of the texture work was in the last gen version. So higher res textures AND extensive use of parallax mapping on many materials is a considerable upgrade that should get more attention.

Ecto1

Neo Member
It's just that it looks like a big difference, one that we haven't seen in multiplats so far. And in what looks like a not so resource-hungry game (yeah the game is huge but it's a revamped version of the last gen game, not a new engine, built from the ground up, etc).

Yeah, its not like some games have ran at lower resolutions or frame rates on either console. After all, the only noticeable difference is a few missing shrubs?

All I'm saying is that it could be worse... Id take a clearer image quality or more stable fps over having more grass any day. Its good that the game was optimized for each system, then again, there's only so much you can optimize a cross gen port. It would be interesting to see what the next GTA looks like, if its built from the ground up for next gen.

Again, I'm not saying the Xbox version is bad, I'm saying its better that it was well optimized to meet its target resolution and frame rate with such little sacrifice as just some grass.

Wilgar

Banned
Anyone hesitating between PS4 and XB1 and basing their choice on the number of blades of grass should have their head examined. (I know a lot of the posts are jokes, but still)

There is no choice, if you have both consoles, you must choose XB1 because...

Suspend/Resume

The end.

Ecto1

Neo Member
They really did put a lot of work in that I think many people are overlooking. Stuff like parallax mapping that many console games simply haven't used, even on current consoles. I think people are really not remembering just how poor some of the texture work was in the last gen version. So higher res textures AND extensive use of parallax mapping on many materials is a considerable upgrade that should get more attention.

I agree. Its had a lot of work put into it. It was a great looking game on last gen and it has had a lot of love put into it now.

goonergaz

Anyone hesitating between PS4 and XB1 and basing their choice on the number of blades of grass should have their head examined. (I know a lot of the posts are jokes, but still)

Suspend/Resume

The end.

PS4 - remote play - check mate?

Derpcrawler

Lol, I am having a good laugh reading YouTube comments on video about grass in GTA5 from DF. I am not sure if people are dicking around or are really write what they think.

had it not been for fuck box 720p...ps4 version would have run at 1080p 60 fps..fuck parity clause..cheap gpu with 8 rops and ddr3 ram..fuck box 720p

Hey dicksucker Infamous looks a generation ahead of GTA5 and ran at 1080p 45 fps...this would have run at 4k on PS4..GTA5 looks like shit because of lame parity clause..dicksucker MGS runs at 1080p 60fps on PS4

would have run at 1080p 60fps without parity clause..PS4 has a powerful hw unlike fuck box one 720p..that pairty clause will cease since MS will be shutting down fuck box division :)

dickhead monkey..suck box one has cheap GPU with 8 rops and a super slow ddr3 ram at 68g/s .the hw is roughly 60% as powerful as PS4's and the ram is 1/3 the speed as GDDR5 ...motherfucking monkey

Good god. Even the most heated console war threads on Gaf compared to that are like War and Piece.

Haha Xbudz got a shoutout

Even though he wasn't the one who provided screenshots. I did XO screenshots and someone else did PS4 ones. Where are my 5mins of internet fame?

SgtCobra

Suspend/Resume

The end.
Please tell me you're joking.

Mr Moose

Lol, I am having a good laugh reading YouTube comments on video about grass in GTA5 from DF. I am not sure if people are dicking around or are really write what they think.

Good god. Even the most heated console war threads on Gaf compared to that are like War and Piece.

Even though he wasn't the one who provided screenshots. I did XO screenshots and someone else did PS4 ones. Where are my 5mins of internet fame?

Strange that you only selected the PS4 fanboy comments.

Derpcrawler

Strange that you only selected the PS4 fanboy comments.

They are all in the top since Xbox fanboys are getting downvoted. Strange that you trying to read between the lines where there is nothing. I guess branding your avatar with corporate symbol speaks for itself.

SgtCobra

No, are you joking?
No.
So, people should buy the XB1 version because suspend/resume? Okay, got it #gamechanger
I could understand that someone would prefer the controller or something like that but this? Poor PS4 owners having to start up the console and waiting for the game to load, the horror...

goonergaz

No.
So, people should buy the XB1 version because suspend/resume? Okay, got it #gamechanger
I could understand that someone would prefer the controller or something like that but this? Poor PS4 owners having to start up the console and waiting for the game to load, the horror...

Not like the feature isn't coming to the PS4 (Soony)

Personally Remote play is a much better feature, why pause when you can play in the bath - oo-er misses!

iMax

Oh god my sides. People think the parity clause relates to performance?!

NickFire

'Please people continue to buy xbone version, don't stop your love'

I'm constantly feeling like that is their new theme, and that's really watering down my view of the head to heads. If they want to try to make everyone happy for a wider audience that's their prerogative, but letting that desire creep into technical comparisons just isn't right.

Seriously EG, if you don't think anyone should decide that better graphics should warrant choosing one over the other, why bother comparing them?

d9b

Banned

Suspend/Resume

The end.

Comes into DF GTA V thread, shits all over everybody for discussing differences between two GTA V versions on two consoles.

Talks about Suspend/ Resume.

The End indeed.

slow clap.gif

Yeah, its not like some games have ran at lower resolutions or frame rates on either console. After all, the only noticeable difference is a few missing shrubs?

All I'm saying is that it could be worse... Id take a clearer image quality or more stable fps over having more grass any day. Its good that the game was optimized for each system, then again, there's only so much you can optimize a cross gen port. It would be interesting to see what the next GTA looks like, if its built from the ground up for next gen.

Again, I'm not saying the Xbox version is bad, I'm saying its better that it was well optimized to meet its target resolution and frame rate with such little sacrifice as just some grass.
Now that DF has a video to show all is clear. I thought it was like that everywhere, it seems it's just at a few spots here and there, and the difference isn't huge. The game is even at 1080p on both, so I guess the difference is very small after all. :)

ttech10

No.

Don't you know? It's better to ride a bicycle in the winter than to drive a diesel truck because the bicycle you can just hop on and go. Don't pay attention to what benefits you have once the truck is started, what matters is which gets you going quicker.

But yea, suspend/resume really has nothing to do with what this thread is about.

Suspend/Resume

The end.

This whole grassgate thing has provided GAF with many memorable meltdowns. Can't wait for GTA6.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Suspend/Resume

The end.
I'm sorry you got banned for this, because it's obviously a joke post.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Maybe because I'm probably older than alot of people on gaf. I honestly couldn't careless what my friends do. I'll buy the best looking or performing game every time.

I got the PS3 version for just about any single multi platform game because I liked the system better even though I also owned a 360 and could have played the best looking/performing game many times. When you're playing the game, those visual differences between PS3/ 360 or PS4/Xbox One don't matter because you (usually) don't have the other version to compare it with.

It's fun though that the PS4 is now the better performing console. Now the shoe is on the other foot for Xbox fans.

p3tran

Banned
someone want to perhaps discuss why this trailer released like 2 weeks before launch had swaying trees and shrubs and the game does not? seriously for how much GAF goes nuts about grass differences, why is no one else bothered by this? the swaying foliage goes a long way to making the world feel alive, probably more than just there being more grass!

nope! nobody wants a discussion on that!
you can pretty much understand what the hot topic is, so plz do not deviate!
especially insignificant stuff like an official video showing things that have gone missing. (you might wanna use this link instead)

Cavalier

Banned
No.

I'm way too spoiled by the standby/resume feature to wait minutes after minutes for GTA5 to load every time I want to resume playing it.

People should buy the PS4 version if they want more grass. #gamechanger

I'm way too spoiled by the standby/resume feature to wait minutes after minutes for GTA5 to load every time I want to resume playing it.

People should buy the PS4 version if they want more grass. #gamechanger
Great! Be sure to echo these comments in every DF thread from here on out!

Top Bottom