• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

Vroadstar

Too right mate, I am that salty I've reported any comparison videos, burnt my xbox one, and purchased a PS4!

I agree you're on a roll why even stop or you'll lose.....dat momentum, dat foliage, dat burnt xbox one and dat new shiny PS4 hurray! Btw, what color is your PS4, green?

It depends on the time of day and if it's bright and sunny or overcast. I was little worried about the PS4 version having muted colors compared to the last gen versions. Or even the XB1 version. I liked that GTAV had a candy colored look. But as i said it depends on how the sun is shining.

Watch this comparison video for PS4 and Xbox 360 and see how it changes between the two as the video goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFLU5mmiXXM

EDIT-

What's up with this?

http://wccftech.com/gta-v-ps4-xbox-one-1080p-video-screenshot-comparison/#ixzz3JW8sqpxc

They did not calibrate the PS4 gamma (default game setting is too high) + "pop". Joke article.

shandy706

Which version?

X1 (all my stuff will be that until the PC version drops)
Couldn't pass up only paying $17.

No one gives a shit about this in a thread focused on technology driving the games. We get it - You will always like the xbox one version irrespective of whether the game looks better, worse or the same on the platform. Now this thread will hopefully get back to talking about technical differences between the platforms.

I agree completely with your first line.

The next line of your post is 100% off base. If the performance sucked I'd have been pissed. Especially going digital with my GS credit. You should be quoting the guy I quoted.

I simply addressed the fact that no one can tell anyone what they should like (because that was what HE WAS DOING). I would like the PC/X1/PS4/Vita/DS version if I bought it for any of them, and it ran well (and if they all existed..lol). I'm not stuck up a single piece of hardware's butt, so back away from that thought.

I fully support the thread only being about technical things, unlike the person I quoted. Check your reading comprehension.

Don't drag me into some stupid category with the crowd that thinks only one thing is viable.

On topic, has anyone dove really deep in the ocean? How is the performance there? I dipped my toes for a second and freaked out when a shark showed up. LOL That stuff looks DEEP, and there appears to be a ton going on underwater. Lots of detail.

Mr Moose

It depends on the time of day and if it's bright and sunny or overcast. I was little worried about the PS4 version having muted colors compared to the last gen versions. Or even the XB1 version. I liked that GTAV had a candy colored look. But as i said it depends on how the sun is shining.

Watch this comparison video for PS4 and Xbox 360 and see how it changes between the two as the video goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFLU5mmiXXM

EDIT-

What's up with this?

http://wccftech.com/gta-v-ps4-xbox-one-1080p-video-screenshot-comparison/#ixzz3JW8sqpxc

Thanks to GamingBolt, we have a 1080p direct-feed head-to-head video and screenshot comparison that shows how the remastered version of Rokstar’s best-selling video game looks like while running on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles.

They can't even make their own video?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They did not calibrate the PS4 gamma (default game setting is too high) + "pop". Joke article.

If they're going to try and con people by using cutscenes as proof, they could at least make sure this doesn't happen:

gtav9ueho.png

Perhaps it's just me (posts saying it is just me expecting incoming) but this doesn't look "ungrassy" in your videos...

I don't think anyone would argue that the X1 version is "ungrassy", the foliage looks great and is a huge improvement over the last-gen versions. It's just that PS4 version has even more.

shandy706

^Yep

What the fck is wrong with the XboxOne picture

I don't know what's going on there. Either I have some kind of miracle X1/TV, or something is wrong with these setups.

My gifs all come out darker than my videos look...yet even in my gifs (and when I play) there is no crushed blacks. You can see all the detail in dark areas/shadows and my range of blacks/greys is there. Of course I went through optimizing my TV for each input too.

Shrug.

c0de

I don't think anyone would argue that the X1 version is "ungrassy", the foliage looks great and is a huge improvement over the last-gen versions. It's just that PS4 version has even more.

What I wonder is how much more, let's say in this case as it seems pretty dense. Especially it looks more dense than some comparisons show us on Xbone in different scenes which made some people say Xbone couldn't handle so much grass because of pixel fill rate while in this case it can.
Either way, DF better hurry :)

-griffy-

Banned

It looks like their entire basis for comparison is the compressed footage from Gamingbolt that clearly suffers from a crushed contrast/gamma curve on the XBO side likely due to incorrect RGB settings. The footage/screenshots does not demonstrate better detail and lighting on XBO. It demonstrates crushed blacks and blown out whites, and the increased color saturation associated with a strong contrast curve.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Crushed blacks. The quality of the video and both sites is in question though.All I'm saying is if they're going to use cutscenes and not in game footage to prove the XB1 version is 'the best version' then you'd think they'd at least try to hide stuff like this.

Mahonay

Banned

^Yep

I don't know what's going on there. Either I have some kind of miracle X1/TV, or something is wrong with these setups.

My gifs all come out darker than my videos look...yet even in my gifs (and when I play) there is no crushed blacks. You can see all the detail in dark areas/shadows and my range of blacks/greys is there. Of course I went through optimizing my TV for each input too.

Shrug.

Wow!

The contrast is way to high. Looks almost black&white.

Holy black crush,
If that's representative of the actual picture and not affected by how it was captured;

A lot of this is due to the gamma for the XB1's HDMI. It is not the standard 2.2. What you get instead is the now lovingly called "pop", and crushed blacks. Not sure how this gets fixed,

shandy706

If that's representative of the actual picture and not affected by how it was captured;

This is due to the gamma for the XB1's HDMI. It is not the standard 2.2. What you get instead is the now lovingly called "pop", and crushed blacks. Not sure how this gets fixed,

My video captures, gifs, gameplay, etc...don't look like that though.

That's why I'm confused. Not a single shadow yet (a few hours in), even at night, looks like that when I play. I can see all the details even in an enclosed parking garage in the middle of the night. That's with my Aquos optimized for the best image (used tech/video forum to do so) and the default GTA V brightness settings.

Some of my games DO have crushed blacks though...so I'm in no way dismissing it. GTA V just doesn't look like that on my TV.

Mahonay

Banned
My video captures, gifs, gameplay, etc...don't look like that though.

That's why I'm confused. Not a single shadow yet (a few hours in), even at night, looks like that when I play. I can see all the details even in an enclosed parking garage in the middle of the night. That's with my Aquos optimized for the best image (used tech/video forum to do so) and the default GTA V brightness settings.

Some of my games DO have crushed blacks though...so I'm in no way dismissing it. GTA V just doesn't look like that on my TV.
Good. Hopefully that image is totally wrong then. I can't imagine it looks as bad as that screen cap.

Derpyduck

Banned
With all this talk of grass, it's probably the worst part of the PS4 version. When you're stationary it looks nice, when you're driving through it, it's just awful. It pops in right in front of you, or at best off in the distance it's just a blobby color on the ground until you get closer. I love how it looks when I'm walking, but despise the effect of it popping in while I drive through it.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the Ferris Wheel and Roller Coaster give off less color at night? In the 360 version when you take off from the commercial airport you can see it clear as day, but in the new version it's hard to make them out. It all looks much nicer up close, so they're probably just being more subtle with the lighting. The city at night looks amazing from a fighter jet, and the best part is the cars on the highways are there at a distance and can be blown up, whereas in the older versions often the cars were just lights that would disappear once you got closer.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
More foam on xbox one - superior version confirmed. Also when you take in account the superior controller...

I don't get the superior controller talk. DS4 easily matches it, plus includes a fantastic touch pad that in GTA's case, Improves the experience.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

A lot of this is due to the gamma for the XB1's HDMI. It is not the standard 2.2. What you get instead is the now lovingly called "pop", and crushed blacks. Not sure how this gets fixed,

It's not representative of it at all. It's kind of like that NBA Live screen some dude put up in the CoD crushed blacks thread I created. It's poorly captured.

Donos

hanmik is on fire.

Grass difference is not really that big for me. A little dissapointed that the 30 fps doesn't seem that smooth/locked for some people. I had no problems playing it for PS3 but hoped that the NG versions would run better.

shandy706

Edit** This video is from a very early mission...so small SPOILER if you're worried.

I made a video looking at the textures and some of the details they put into the current-gen build.

They really did go all out.

The video isn't the greatest quality ever when moving, so turn the res up, but I purposely stop to admire things.

http://youtu.be/PplF3Fc7q-w

Also excuse my jumping around like an idiot on the roof. I didn't see that first window, lol.

:)

BigDug13

I'm just pleased that everyone gets to enjoy pretty much a framerate stable performance and that Rockstar made all the appropriate cuts to each version to ensure their target performance numbers. No more struggling with mid to low 20's framerates.

The XBO will have graphical cuts from the PS4 version, we have known this since day one with these systems. There is nothing new here in regards to that. Rockstar didn't give XBO owners a 900p product, they delivered a 1080p product with solid framerates. That should make XBO pleased, regardless of some missing grass. "1080p > extra grass" if those were the two options they were left with.

shandy706

Edit** The video is from a very early mission...so small SPOILER if you're worried.

A couple (smaller) grabs from the video.

hufsts.gif

rvctvn.gif

Edit* This Video..that I posted above.

I also check out the pool, tile textures, go inside the house.

Edit 2** Argh, come on guys...let's talk about textures, and res, and DOF and stuffs..lol

http://youtu.be/PplF3Fc7q-w

Mastperf

Edit** The video is from a very early mission...so small SPOILER if you're worried.

A couple (smaller) grabs from the video.

hufsts.gif

rvctvn.gif

Edit* This Video..that I posted above.

I also check out the pool, tile textures, go inside the house.

Edit 2** Argh, come on guys...let's talk about textures, and res, and DOF and stuffs..lol
Looks great. I'm sure seeing it in person at 1080p really shows how much of an upgrade it is over last gen.

xion4360

someone want to perhaps discuss why this trailer released like 2 weeks before launch had swaying trees and shrubs and the game does not? seriously for how much GAF goes nuts about grass differences, why is no one else bothered by this? the swaying foliage goes a long way to making the world feel alive, probably more than just there being more grass!

BigDug13

someone want to perhaps discuss why this trailer released like 2 weeks before launch had swaying trees and shrubs and the game does not? seriously for how much GAF goes nuts about grass differences, why is no one else bothered by this? the swaying foliage goes a long way to making the world feel alive, probably more than just there being more grass!

Because the trailer for the "next gen remaster" of GTAV was also including the PC platform?

Top Bottom