• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Xbox One backwards compatibility

This is... very strange. It shouldn't be a huge deal to support output higher than 1080p, especially since it's already rendering at this resolution should it?

Perhaps it has something to do with the eSRAM, perhaps they need it to speed up the graphics, but higher resolution as 720p hardly fit in.

Mass Effect:

As it stands, during both exploration and combat sequences, the game runs upwards of 30 per cent slower on Xbox One [/I]with a deviation ranging between 5-10fps at any random point. What was already a sluggish experience on original hardware becomes nearly unplayable at points on Xbox One. During an explosive encounter during the train sequence in the first mission, we encountered dips as low as 10fps. We suspect that forcing v-sync is to blame for the drop in performance, though CPU inefficiencies seen in many early Unreal Engine 3 titles may also be an issue. We'll be eager to see how the virtual machine evolves over the coming months and we can't wait until other Unreal Engine titles become available for testing, but for now, this is not the right way to experience the game.

TONDq.gif

Seanspeed

Banned
As expected. Software emulation is going to be a challenge for every game having different results. 5 to 10fps slower for Mass effect which already ran pretty bad in the citadel on 360 is just not even worth it just to say i can play it on XB1.

Throw in no enhancements like 4xMSAA like 360's OG Xbox emulation and its just pointless...and for what, how long is it going to take to say the limited amount of games all run at an 'acceptable' quality on XB1? Cause they probably aren't ever all going to run at full original speed just by the nature of how they are being played.
If even a good percentage become good quality experiences, it will not be 'pointless', c'mon.

For anyone who missed it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066097

Hmm.

I trust DF more, but it's interesting how both reached such wildly different conclusions.

*Load times are usually faster (little better to 2-3 times shorter)
*Textures are usually instant compared on XB1 to the usual Unreal 3 pop-in
*XB1 has no screen tearing due to V-Sync but the framerate appears slower because the game waits for the full frame to draw because of it.

Don't you think it just match what DF saying, you don't need to "trust" which one more.

Really now. I would expect continued refinement and improvements to come along as the emulation matures. Just like all other OS improvements.

Well, before they announced backwards compatibility the conventional wisdom was the Xbox One's CPU was simply not nearly fast enough to emulate the 360's. When MS promised "hundreds" of games by this holiday that threw some doubt on the matter. But after seeing the performance they are currently getting with the oldest 360 games it probably turns out we were right in the first place. Now their E3 announcement comes across as borderline irresponsible. Pinning our hopes and dreams on another bottle of "special sauce" is as foolish now as it has been since the Xbox One's specs first leaked.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Well lets hope performance can be improved once its released to the public. I expect over the next weeks or months for updates to roll out for us preview members. Maybe they can offer us some options before playing like enable v-sync.

I'm interested to see how newer games perform such as Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Gears 3, XCOM or Bioshock Infinite.

Why did Spencer even say that the Xbox 360 games run 'natively' on Xbox One? It was obvious from the get-go that it was emulation.

It's not emulation, it's virtualization.

Emulation translate old code to new hardware. Virtualization runs native code.

GutZ31

Any issues with frame rate and contrast, as well as resolution would have been no big deal; If this had been out a year ago.

I feel they missed their window of opportunity to really bring 360 gamers up, and back to the Xbox one.
Many have sold their consoles to move up, and usually that means games go as well.
Not everyone is a collector, and those that are tend to still have the system that runs them best.

This was a great move in my opinion, but just bad timing.

Xbox 360 had BC at launch, correct?
And so did the PS3.

At launch, it means the system is not barran, and you CAN play your old games on new hardware. almost 2 years after launch introducing BC? Nah, its a little late for most.

urbanOSU

Banned
Would microsofts approach to how their doing backwards compatibility on Xbox one have any effect on input lag ? Meaning , if they add let's say black ops 2, and they say you can play online against other 360 users , would this soulution, running inside in app as it appears to be cause any additional input lag ? I won't pretend to have any knowledge, just a general question since there is obviously emulation as well as scaling the image .

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If even a good percentage become good quality experiences, it will not be 'pointless', c'mon.

Your right. I guess i overreacted. Even though i thought 360's OG Xbox support was shitty, i still find it invaluable today as my OG Xbox is now broke, and i can only play the more popular games on that. Not being able to play DOA2U at all would truly be a shame.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yeah as in not via cloud streaming! Was pretty obvious what he meant imo.

No offense meant, but doing that is obviously twisting the meaning of "running an application natively". Using an emulator to run a game locally, instead of streaming it from a server, is not "running it natively". If it were a native application, the game wouldn't need an intermediary layer between itself and the hardware to "translate" the game into something the Xbox One can read (which is exactly what emulation does).

If this is another case of marketing changing established concepts to suit its needs, just like it did with "exclusive", then so be it. But let's not fool ourselves: emulated game do not run natively.

Native means it's running on the hardware, which it is.

No. "Native" means that it is written to run directly on the hardware. These games are emulated: they need another program that bridges their coding and the hardware, since they otherwise wouldn't "click" with each other. It's the difference between "software backwards compatibility" (i.e. an emulator) and "hardware backwards compatibility" (i.e. actual hardware from a previous console inside the newer box, as early model PS3s used to have).

rokkerkory

Well, before they announced backwards compatibility the conventional wisdom was the Xbox One's CPU was simply not nearly fast enough to emulate the 360's. When MS promised "hundreds" of games by this holiday that threw some doubt on the matter. But after seeing the performance they are currently getting with the oldest 360 games it probably turns out we were right in the first place. Now their E3 announcement comes across as borderline irresponsible. Pinning our hopes and dreams on another bottle of "special sauce" is as foolish now as it has been since the Xbox One's specs first leaked.

I see, I see. Do tell us more how you feel about the X1?

In the main X1 BC thread, many folks are having positive experience with most games in the preview program. They have some months to better the experience before it goes public. Like all things s/w, I expect it to improve but you seem to tie this back to other things for some reason.

Mivey

If this is another case of marketing changing established concepts to suit its needs, just like it did with "exclusive", then so be it. But let's not fool ourselves: emulated game do not run natively.
As long as the visualization works, that is a purely academic differentiation that has no bearing on any consumer-facing discussion.

But I guess this is more about feeling good about ones favored platform, then having interesting technical discussions.

thedan001

However MS does with bc, I'd take it over lame PSnow streaming on PS4

apples to oranges, I know but still I applaud them for tackling this head-on

yay for competition

Seanspeed

Banned
'Our' hopes and dreams? This is concern trolling at its finest.

sinnergy

As expected. Software emulation is going to be a challenge for every game having different results. 5 to 10fps slower for Mass effect which already ran pretty bad in the citadel on 360 is just not even worth it just to say i can play it on XB1.

Throw in no enhancements like 4xMSAA like 360's OG Xbox emulation and its just pointless...and for what, how long is it going to take to say the limited amount of games all run at an 'acceptable' quality on XB1? Cause they probably aren't ever all going to run at full original speed just by the nature of how they are being played.

It's emulator enhancements.. emulation hardware so they need to fix that.

Vormund

Well reading through the article it seems obvious that they have to turn off V-Sync on games that didn't have it to begin with. It would have been interesting if that was an option in the emulated 360 guide.

Shin-Ra

How does Mass Effect play on a real 360 with a faster HDD hacked in?

edit: in the DF comparison is ME 360 playing from DVD or the HDD?

Pooya

Maybe wait until it releases then to make ridiculous comments. If anything looks like without vsync Mass Effect could match the original, the original is a huge mess on 360, impressive? Rolling my eyes at some posts, lol. so dramatic.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's not emulation, it's virtualization.

Emulation translate old code to new hardware. Virtualization runs native code.

If the original code wasn't designed for the Xbox One hardware, it's still not running natively. It's a misleading use of the word no matter how you slice it.

knerl

Native means it's running on the hardware, which it is.

Without a virtual machine. Running on a virtual machine isn't native. The code is still unchanged, but it still has to run through a virtual machine that with a high certainty isn't running the native code as effectively as the real machine.

I am still baffled why they choose Mass Effect to show off the BC feature. It performed horribly back then and still does now. Something like Halo 3 or Gears would have been a better choice.

GutZ31

However MS does with bc, I'd take it over lame PSnow streaming on PS4

apples to oranges, I know but still I applaud them for tackling this head-on

yay for competition

I don't think anyone can argue that.
PSNow may work, but its not BC.
It is a subscription service for people that don't own any games, but still want to play them.
Also don't have to own a sony console to play them anymore it seems.

BC would have been awesome to have early on in the launch window of these consoles, but as sales have outpaced the need for it, I see no reason to focus on it now.

I won't say its bad to do it now, just late in my opinion.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well reading through the article it seems obvious that they have to turn off V-Sync on games that didn't have it to begin with. It would have been interesting if that was an option in the emulated 360 guide.
DF assumes that this is the source of the performance problems, but I don't think that is a completely safe assumption, either. May well be that they'd still run worse, but with tearing on top of it.

leeh

If the original code wasn't designed for the Xbox One hardware, it's still not running natively. It's a misleading use of the word no matter how you slice it.
Like I said above, the games run natively in the OS. The OS has been changed to run within the X1.

One of the developers posted on the X1 reddit, saying they've had to do little to no changes to support each of the games.

No offense meant, but doing that is obviously twisting the meaning of "running an application natively". Using an emulator to run a game locally, instead of streaming it from a server, is not "running it natively". If it were a native application, the game wouldn't need an intermediary layer between itself and the hardware to "translate" the game into something the Xbox One can read (which is exactly what emulation does).

No. "Native" means that it is written to run directly on the hardware. These games are emulated: they need another program that bridges their coding and the hardware, since they otherwise wouldn't "click" with each other. It's the difference between "software backwards compatibility" (i.e. an emulator) and "hardware backwards compatibility" (i.e. actual hardware from a previous console inside the newer box, as early model PS3s used to have).

There is no emulation.

Emulation translates hardware calls on the emulated system with software calls on the host system. It goes through an adapter and does not have direct access to the hardware.

Virtualization has direct access to the hardware. These games are running native code.

Yes, it is running natively. You cannot make up your own definition to suit your desires. A native game is one that is written for a specific platform. A software platform is still a platform. Microsoft virtualized the 360 OS. The games were made to run on the 360 OS. Therefore it is running natively per the definition.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's emulator enhancements.. emulation hardware so they need to fix that.

Which depends on the code for every individual game how they actually perform. As it says in the article, there is concern the further you get from direct x9's basic framework and closer to the metal in 360 code.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Like I said above, the games run natively in the OS. The OS has been changed to run within the X1.

One of the developers posted on the X1 reddit, saying they've had to do little to no changes to support each of the games.

If it ran natively, it wouldn't have required any changes at all and any Xbox 360 game would have worked.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DF assumes that this is the source of the performance problems, but I don't think that is a completely safe assumption, either. May well be that they'd still run worse, but with tearing on top of it.
I assumed it was part of the problem but I don't believe it's the only source of issues.

leeh

If it ran natively, it wouldn't have required any changes at all and any Xbox 360 game would have worked.
Well if you've got a 360 game which is practically written in assembly, and its doing things slightly different to the last game, your going to need to add more logic within the virtualisation layer.

The games are still running natively, its just the layer between the 360 OS / X1 hardware doing the work.

It's what I get from it. It wouldn't be native if they ran like:
Game > X1 OS/Hardware
But its:
Game > 360 OS > X1 OS/Hardware

Toski

Why split hairs on something in beta? If the game is running on the hardware without any outside support its as good as native, even if it is virtualized or emulated.

EGM1966

Pretty impressive. As expected results vary by game so caution is advised on a title by title basis but an decent effort and hopefully majority of games are near flawless.

Top Bottom