• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Xbox One S

LordOfChaos

Digital Foundry: Is the support of UHD Blu-ray solely a software thing, or does Xbox One S ship with a more modern BD drive?

Everything we know about PS4 Neo
What's different in Sony's mid-generation 4K upgrade.
Everything we know about PS4 Neo
Albert Penello: Great question. I have seen people online believe that you can do a 'firmware' upgrade to our existing BD drive to support 4K, but that's not true. In addition to DSP firmware updates, the drive in the Xbox One S also includes a new optical pickup to support three-layer UHD Blu-ray format discs. Plus HDMI 2.0 video output with HDCP 2.2 copy protection is also a BD-UHD certification requirement, both of which are included in Xbox One S and weren't implemented on the other Xbox One consoles.

There you go. Who was that guy here that kept insisting the originals supported it? Jeff?

Flintty

Welp. Guess we'll be seeing firesales on the old models soon. Nobody wants that thing when there's a upgraded model with better performance.

The increase is good and all but marginal to the average consumer - I can't imagine people trading their old console in their droves. I'd like an S but will stick with my fatty for now. I was thinking of getting the S for my daughter for her birthday but the price crash of the fat will make it very appealing. It's still capable and it's not like it wont run future games. In all honesty I'm more tempted by the S because it looks so nice, rather than performance. If I had a 4k TV however...

Lucifon

What a crazy gaming time we live in. Now we'll need Digital Foundry to benchmark games on the One and One S. And Neo and normal PS4. And then Scorpio next year.

Tyaren

Wait a sec...!! Does that mean that games that ran on XB One and PS4 both at pretty unstable 30fps, like The Witcher 3, will now run 30fps smoothely on XB One with this stealth update? Better than PS4? The upcoming Final Fantasy XV might also greatly profit from this!

Asd202

This got me thinking about Neo and Scorpio. So should we expect improvents to older games in framerates even without a patch?

Duxxy3

The increase is good and all but marginal to the average consumer - I can't imagine people trading their old console in their droves. I'd like an S but will stick with my fatty for now. I was thinking of getting the S for my daughter for her birthday but the price crash of the fat will make it very appealing. It's still capable and it's not like it wont run future games. In all honesty I'm more tempted by the S because it looks so nice, rather than performance. If I had a 4k TV however...

I think the more competitive people are going to run out to get it. Even if it's just a 2 or 3fps difference.

KainXVIII

So its really a bit louder than fatty.

knipselr7lw8.png

Flintty

I think the more competitive people are going to run out to get it. Even if it's just a 2 or 3fps difference.

Oh yeah, not disputing that techys and competitive gamers will take that increase but I disagree that 'nobody' will want an X1 OG. I'm not knocking the S, I'd love one but it's not justifiable just yet, for me at least :)

Caayn

So a .440 difference now, instead of .530.

Free boost is always a welcoming one.
Exactly the free boost is welcome. And to me as a surprise. I didn't believe the "higher gpu clock" rumor some claimed before launch. In the end it'll help with frame rate stability. It won't get the system closer to the PS4.

wapplew

Interesting to see how the market react, the unspoken rule of no power improvement for revision is broken with one S, Neo, Scorpio etc.

Interesting

Xbox One S as
'the cheap, small, quiet console that plays the "non-scorpio" versions of games with slightly less frame drops'
looks like a much more viable option now.

for people who are fine with "current gen" IQ and 1080p resolutions, who want to add an Xbox to their repertoire to catch up on the exclusives, that is...

Well it's not like 1080p was standard on many Xbox One titles. Rendering resolution is the same, but framerates might improve in some titles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting to see how the market react, the unspoken rule of no power improvement for revision is broken with one S, Neo, Scorpio etc.

The average person will not know, or notice. The power users/hardcore will sell their OG's and get the S model. Sales will very slightly increase, MAU trends will remain the same (if it is measured in individual accounts and they don't group individual systems in with that). ;)

Now I really am contemplating trading in my day one console for the S. Fuck!

Quick, someone talk me out of it!!
But I thought people didn't care about mid gen spec boosts? Just look at the first ps neo threads on neogaf. Like I said before people trade in their old launch consoles for the slim just because they look better and are smaller, imagine a spec boost!

get it!

Solrac

not enough with the neo/scopio version that even slim is faster than the original model, to be honest i dont see the reason to buy a console at launch

Xyphie

TSMC fabbing is interesting. Guess we can deduce that Neo will likely be made by TSMC as well as the cost of Jaguar + GCN1.x die shrink could be a joint venture between Sony/MS.

Daffy Duck

not enough with the neo/scopio version that even slim is faster than the original model, to be honest i dont see the reason to buy a console at launch

Tell me about it, and that will only be more true going forwards I feel.

Throw in how totally lacklustre this gen has been in the most part too, and I'm sat here thinking why exactly did I buy both right at the start.

Paz

Remember that time a MS first party dev said the S had extra juice and would be used to make their game look/run better and then another MS exec said that wasn't true and they would be identical and you wouldn't be able to tell that the hardware was any different and then everyone started questioning if Polygon made up some details on top of their interview and other people insisted that Microsoft hadn't muddled their messaging at E3 and now it turns out the S does have extra GPU juice that makes games run better?

I remember that, good times.

This is actually pretty cool though, well played to them for improving performance across the board without causing any problems.

Top Bottom