• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Xbox One S

McHuj

In theory: Do you guys think, they could have gone even higher with the clockspeed, if they really wanted to?

Possibly, but it's all a trade off with noise and power consumption. Also the main memory BW hasn't changed so I doubt performance could be pushed that far.

goonergaz

I can't believe people are seriously contemplating spending a large chunk of money to upgrade to this, I guess it bodes well for Neo (and eventually Scorpio)

Bsigg12

I still find it funny that people didn't think it would be remade on a smaller process.

I can't believe people are seriously contemplating spending a large chunk of money to upgrade to this, I guess it bodes well for Neo (and eventually Scorpio)

$299 for a UHD Blu-ray player is cheap.

Loving Digital Foundry's videos lately, they put so much work into their articles/videos.

Xbox One S looks great, nice little boost when gaming too.

Kayant

TSMC fabbing is interesting. Guess we can deduce that Neo will likely be made by TSMC as well as the cost of Jaguar + GCN1.x die shrink could be a joint venture between Sony/MS.
iirc AMD produces the chips for them and Jaguar also used TSMC so not too surprising they are using TSMC. Zen will also been using TSMC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Will definitely get the new Xbox One S.

Gonna wait for the 500GB model though.

I already have a nice external HDD that is quite a bit faster than the internal and I very seriously doubt the 2TB HDD is faster.

shanew21

Remember that time a MS first party dev said the S had extra juice and would be used to make their game look/run better and then another MS exec said that wasn't true and they would be identical and you wouldn't be able to tell that the hardware was any different and then everyone started questioning if Polygon made up some details on top of their interview and other people insisted that Microsoft hadn't muddled their messaging at E3 and now it turns out the S does have extra GPU juice that makes games run better?

I remember that, good times.

This is actually pretty cool though, well played to them for improving performance across the board without causing any problems.
MS basically said "don't buy it for a performance increase" which is true. This is a very incidental increase for the vast majority of people. The last thing MS wanted was to say "it's more powerful too!" and everybody rushes to buy it and is disappointed with a 5 fps gain.

Wow... that's gonna be annoying as fuck if there ends up being any significant improvement on any XB1 titles I've bought considering the regular technical and performance issues encountered in them. No way could I justify paying for an XB1 again though, so I suppose I'm sol regardless.

Oh well... just hope digital foundry will continue to highlight games running on older hardware rather than just going XB1 S only in future to make XB1 look better in head to heads so the majority of us can get an accurate picture of what our games will be running like.

Chris1

$299 for a 4k blu ray is a really good deal

I reckon you'd lose less money upgrading from XB1 to XB1 S, then to Scorpio than you will from XB1 to Scorpio. XB1 isn't gonna be worth jack shit come next year, if you're getting Scorpio eventually it might be worthwhile upgrading now while it's still got some value.

I won't be upgrading though but there's good reasons to do so I feel.

shanew21

I reckon you'd lose less money upgrading from XB1 to XB1 S, then to Scorpio than you will from XB1 to Scorpio. XB1 isn't gonna be worth jack shit come next year, if you're getting Scorpio eventually it might be worthwhile upgrading now while it's still got some value.

Xbox One moves to my bedroom when Scorpio arrives.

goonergaz

I thought about it, but £200 isn't worth it IMHO - in fact I'd want at least Neo type upgrade for £200

Paz

MS basically said "don't buy it for a performance increase" which is true. This is a very incidental increase for the vast majority of people. The last thing MS wanted was to say "it's more powerful too!" and everybody rushes to buy it and is disappointed with a 5 fps gain.

Actually they said it would have "literally no impact" (Albert Penello) on the performance of games, which I guess is true given the modern dictionary description of the world literally.

You don't have to defend a massive corporation being idiots btw, it's OK to just say they were idiots and move on.

And the beginning of the end of my console support days has begun.

Way to drive me to go full PC MS/Sony! At least it will save me money in the long run.

RowdyReverb

Remember that time a MS first party dev said the S had extra juice and would be used to make their game look/run better and then another MS exec said that wasn't true and they would be identical and you wouldn't be able to tell that the hardware was any different and then everyone started questioning if Polygon made up some details on top of their interview and other people insisted that Microsoft hadn't muddled their messaging at E3 and now it turns out the S does have extra GPU juice that makes games run better?

I remember that, good times.

This is actually pretty cool though, well played to them for improving performance across the board without causing any problems.
I think it was reasonable to temper expectations rather than play up the marginal benefit in performance over the OG hardware

Why bother overclocking anything at all, then?

Albert Penello said:
I know some fans have asked for new audio functionality including bitstream support and we're evaluating that as a possible feature in a future update.

Do it! It's a vital part of a UHD Blu Ray player.

Why bother overclocking anything at all, then?

They literally covered this in the article.

The article linked in the OP said:
We also used this opportunity to increase the GPU frequency from 853 MHz to 914 MHz. By making this change, developers creating HDR titles do not have to incur any performance hit. ...

Digital Foundry: In a world where most games use HDR internally anyway before tonemapping, what is the need for extra power?

Albert Penello: The extra performance is needed to render real-time non-HDR versions of the game for GameDVR, streaming and screenshots.

Hanmik

so it is a bit faster.. but also a bit noisier..

is the Xbox One OG very noisy? or do people not hear it..?

Lucifon

To be honest once you trade in the original console along with a controller or two you're not paying much to upgrade (assuming you go for the 500gb version again).

Ahh, missed that part.

In their testing even locked 30fps games like Rise of the Tomb Raider showed gains in maintaining that 30fps and less tearing. Fallout 4 showed absolutely nothing.
You could have the most powerful console ever and fallout 4 would still run the same.

so it is a bit faster.. but also a bit noisier..

is the Xbox One OG very noisy? or do people not hear it..?

The Xbox One is almost silent, the results showed the Xbox One S makes a little more noise but still way less than the PS4. As Richard says in the video the larger the fan the slower it needs to rotate and the lower the noise levels.

I only have two complaints about my PS4, the noise it makes on most games and the controller battery life, hopefully the Neo will solve both these.

Top Bottom