• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Xbox One S

shanew21

Very nice.

No point in me getting one with the Scorpio coming next year though.
The only reason to buy this is if you don't have an Xbox One already or want a 4K Blu-Ray player, which is still a good number of people. It also probably costs them way less to produce.

Voho

So could this pave the way to greater increases with Scorpio? Like, with console ports that don't reach their target fps?

t hicks

Banned
so it is a bit faster.. but also a bit noisier..

is the Xbox One OG very noisy? or do people not hear it..?

mines pretty silent until I launch a 360 game, then the fan kicks up kinda loud until the game is loaded, after that its back to normal
thats pretty much the only time I ever even hear the fan

shanew21

So could this pave the way to greater increases with Scorpio? Like, with console ports that don't reach their target fps?
Yes. I would imagine games with resolution scaling or unlocked FPS will run WAY better on the Scorpio. Halo 5, for example, will probably run at 1080p locked, or they may give it an update so it can hit a 4K buffer.

Caayn

As for noise. I don't notice a noteworthy difference in produced sound when I compare the XB1 with the XB1 S.
Do they?, they must be hard of hearing because (at least mine is) the PS4 makes a heck of a racket.
I think it's kinda like a lottery. Mine is audible but not to a annoying degree, except for silent scenes then it's annoying. The sound it produces is easily drowned by the game audio.

That said the PS4 design is prone to be louder than the XB1.

shanew21

Or you like nice shiny new things and you have the disposable income?

Not everyone needs a reason to buy something new they want.
That's fine too. Just saying it would likely be somewhat of a waste of money in that case. If you've got the money to blow though, why not?

Lucifon

two hundred pounds

the same price as a XBO

£130ish for the original xbox one 500gb trade in, then £18 a pop per controller (I've got a spare one I no longer need). £250 for the XB1 S. So just over 100 to upgrade a 3 year old machine to a brand new one which is smaller and slightly faster. That doesn't really sound too rough considering the cost of replacing other tech. Not sure if I'll go for it yet but this has certainly made me consider it.

AP90

I thought about it, but £200 isn't worth it IMHO - in fact I'd want at least Neo type upgrade for £200

For people who have a 4k tv and even more so for people who have HDR.. The 200 difference to get a uhd bluray player with 4k streaming capabilites is worth it vs purchasing a 400 dollar uhd player

I did it because of the portability (no external PSU to bring when I game at my brothers or friends house), lower power usage and the fact that I will be getting a 4k tv later this year.

Edit: And as mentioned above.. Having a newer unit is also another plus.

Vashetti

Banned
Power consumption for Blu-ray playback is a really nice decrease.

There's no need for it to be consuming +~60w for Blu-ray playback when standalone players can do it with 5-15w.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Holy shit it actually has a slight boost.
I'm excited for Hitman, I always get 2-3 fps drops near the ocean in Sapienza.

Link83

Any mention if the black crush and gamma curve issues have been resolved?
Hoping with the HDR support it's finally been fixed.

Caayn

Any mention if the black crush and gamma curve issues have been resolved?
Hoping with the HDR support it's finally been fixed.
Gamma curve is still broken when using full-RGB.

Also 4K + 30bits and 36bits combined with full-RGB is totally broken.

so it is a bit faster.. but also a bit noisier..

is the Xbox One OG very noisy? or do people not hear it..?

I've never noticed a single noise from the XB1 and I've had my sit on my desk behind my monitor. PS4 on the other hand, comparatively, is loud as hell.

zoozilla

So in the performance video when they showed Alan Wake it looked like there wasn't as much black crush?

That could be a pretty big improvement, no?

CROSS POSTING:

Still reading... but - OH SHIT!

As we discussed, we did make some refinements for 4K support and to fit in the new chassis. We also used this opportunity to increase the GPU frequency from 853 MHz to 914 MHz. By making this change, developers creating HDR titles do not have to incur any performance hit. We also decided to make the extra six per cent available to all titles. So some games (ones that utilise dynamic resolution and/or unlocked framerates) may see a very minor performance improvement. Our testing internally has shown this to be pretty minor, and is only measurable on certain games, so we didn't want to make it a “selling point” for the new console.

Halo 5 improvement? THNX

EDIT:

Albert Penello: Beyond what we announced at E3, there is nothing new I can talk about now. But you should expect to see a number of media apps and games announced shortly. In addition, I know some fans have asked for new audio functionality including bitstream support and we're evaluating that as a possible feature in a future update.

OMG OMG OMG GOD IS REAL

PLEASE ATMOS BITSTREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! ! or just give us DIRECT BISTREAM YEAH? :D :D :D :D :D:D:D:D:D:D

Albert Penello and the tech fellows.
What a time some years ago... then he just disappeared after PR work.

Lol tech fellows. If forgotten about that

MS and Xbox One have come a long way. Good job MS

$300 - 400 for a couple of extra frames when a significant upgrade is coming in about a year?

Nobody is asking you to upgrade. This makes the Xbox brand a lot more appealing

goonergaz

£130ish for the original xbox one 500gb trade in, then £18 a pop per controller (I've got a spare one I no longer need). £250 for the XB1 S. So just over 100 to upgrade a 3 year old machine to a brand new one which is smaller and slightly faster. That doesn't really sound too rough considering the cost of replacing other tech. Not sure if I'll go for it yet but this has certainly made me consider it.

sorry, where are you getting that deal please? game do a £200 trade in and you need 3 games...also I think the cheapest slim is £300 isn't it?

edit - ok £250 from gameseek, I'd still like to know who is giving you £130 for XBO trade in

AP90

Since the overclock is so small I wonder if they could increase in xbone as well?

Stability and added heat could be an issue on the xbone og as every chip handles things differently depending on where you are on the silicon wafer.

They could afford the bump in clocks around release due to the good cooling design that they had implemented.

Chris1

No, see the first post.

Oops :p

3-4dB difference doesn't seem like much when it's whisper quiet at 42-44dB, I'm not good with tech sound levels, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be an actual noticeable difference in person? or am I wrong?

Hawk269

In theory: Do you guys think, they could have gone even higher with the clockspeed, if they really wanted to?
Easily. They have the thermal to go higher but I don't think that was the intent of the S. This boost is down to the new die size and it.was probably needed for HDR and the side effect is in some cases slight frame rate bump in some games. Nothing more.

GavinUK86

It's nice that some games get a couple frames boost but it's not a big enough improvement for me to splash on a new console.

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
So this means PS4 Vanilla titles should get a 13% GPU boost on NEO as well. I though Sony would downclock the cpu and gpu and disable the CUs for compatibitly, but it looks like downclocking the gpu is not necessary. 13% is quite good, only bad thing is that most PS4 titles are bottlenecked by the cpu anyways...

madmackem

sorry, where are you getting that deal please? game do a £200 trade in and you need 3 games...also I think the cheapest slim is £300 isn't it?

edit - ok £250 from gameseek
Think he means small hdd versions, I think I might jump on this when the 500g launches with trade in of old one seems worth it for another 12 month warranty if nothing else.

goonergaz

So this means PS4 Vanilla titles should get a 13% GPU boost on NEO as well. I though Sony would downclock the cpu and gpu and disable the CUs for compatibitly, but it looks like downclocking the gpu is not necessary. 13% is quite good, only bad thing is that most PS4 titles are bottlenecked by the cpu anyways...

yeah, nice to think this really

Xenoflare

It's actually FinFET, they actually did it

I wonder if titles like FF15 will see benefits with the slightly improved GPU

AP90

I'd be curious to see if they keep a similar form factor with the PS4 neo and do a slight design change for the cooling to make quieter.. Don't think they will releae a slim (but who knows!)

Top Bottom