• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

Xun

I am shocked.

Shocked.

Disney has never liked gaming that much, so whilst it probably wasn't doing too badly this isn't at all surprising to me.

Well, I did not see that coming, but admittedly I wasn't paying too much attention to DI3.0's sales.

I assume that by "game publishing," he just means physical retail products, right? Mobile still intact?

BiggNife

killroy87

Woah, that's unexpected. I bet we don't see much more LEGO Dimensions, either. If that game has been selling well, WB has been pretty quiet about it.

SerTapTap

Did it? That seems to have lost a lot of steam and appeal as well. Toys to life seems kind of over

After Smash (which didn't even have a great use for them IMO) they kinda ran out of compelling lines. The AC amiibo festival line seems to have sold terribly, they were regularly 50% off or more (which is a far more compelling price point IMO)

Zebei

Shit this means prices will skyrocket won't they?

Looks like I need to get a Stitch figure ASAP instead of just waiting.

Tapejara

What does this mean about their catalog of Star Wars/LucasArts titles? The PS4 versions of those Star Wars PS2 games have Disney listed as the publisher; does this kill any chances of future re-releases?

No reason to cancel the game. Just get rid of the toys. They are too expensive. Let you download characters through DLC at a cheaper price.

Chastten

Banned
Not that hard to believe. Won't be long before Skylanders is cancelled as well, I guess. All figures combined (including Lego Dimenions and amiibo) have less than half the shelf space in toy stores as they had 2 years ago, and there's pretty much constant promotions going on. This bubble is over.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Marvel vs Capcom 4 is oficially dead now? :(

Disney never developed or was the publisher of those games. They can still license their IPs to other publishers or devs. We are still getting EA Star Wars games and co. Its just not worth it anymore for Disney themselves.

After Smash (which didn't even have a great use for them IMO) they kinda ran out of compelling lines. The AC amiibo festival line seems to have sold terribly, they were regularly 50% off or more (which is a far more compelling price point IMO)
Yeah that's mainly what I was basing my observation on. The AC line has been deeply discounted everywhere, and there doesn't seem to be a lot new on the horizon

Xater

Not too long ago I was shocked to see all those Infinity figures and games in a bargain bin. I guess now I know why.

Quick of topic: But if they are going to begin to license out the stuff like the EA/Star Wars deal then maybe they should license out Pirates of the Caribbean to the Black Flag team at Ubisoft... I know, It'll never happen but a man can dream!

kenta

Has no PEINS
Bummed for Johnny V, but on the bright side now I can re-follow him on Twitter :p

He'll land on his feet for sure, though, he seemed to have gotten really good at being a public face

Completely unexpected

What does this mean about their catalog of Star Wars/LucasArts titles? The PS4 versions of those Star Wars PS2 games have Disney listed as the publisher; does this kill any chances of future re-releases?

Think its too early to tell right now.

Anth0ny

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I thought this shit did well?

now get out of the mobile marvel fighting game publishing and give it to capcom already

braves01

Banned

There hasn't even been a Pokemon amiibo game yet. Sun and Moon will push figures. The AC line was tied to a shitty game, and kicks and the llamas are incredibly niche.

Ecto311

About a month ago I was at gamestop and this employee told me they sold a shitload of amiibo and dimensions figures but almost never sold infinity stuff. I thought he was full of shit. Plus target and other stores doing tons of sales on the figures kinda fits if this is true.

In my house we play more infinity than dimensions and amiibo games put together. Granted we don't play them a ton but we still own a ton of them and buy all the new games when they come out.

BiggNife

Marvel vs Capcom 4 is oficially dead now? :(

This has nothing to do with MvC4. They're still licensing their products to other publishers (see the EA star wars deal), just no longer publishing/developing games themselves.

MvC4 still has a snowball's chance in hell of being made within the next 5 years, though.

Top Bottom