• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

Kneefoil

Huh... I was never interested in these games, but I had imagined that they were making loads of money with them. Colour me surprised.

They promised more marvel female representation later this year though :(

Black Widow and Gamora is an awful selection

I should probably get falcon since he's the last guy I'm missing before its too late

battleground was a cool playset

Tevren

Wonder if this opens the door for Star Wars and/or Marvel to join Lego Dimensions?

Speaking of, anyone have any data on how that is doing relative to other Toys-to-life brands? Really enjoy the humor in that, as well as the actual building of the figures.

Riposte

Disney seem like just the worst people to partner with when it comes to videogames. And own both Star Wars and Marvel.

SpotAnime

Wow. I would have thought they would support the existing consumer base with software updates and new figures this year.

That's sudden. Wonder what's next for Johnny V?

Well, at least I have my Judy Hopps, Nick Wilde, and Rocket Raccoon figures. I was hoping it'd last until KH3 though, so I could finally get Sora/KH!Donald/KH!Goofy and the not-stupidly-exclusive Keyblade Mickey tho.

Jb

Yikes. I feel bad for the bunch of studios who worked on this and the people who got paid thanks to that franchise.
I wonder if WB is happy with how Lego Dimensions is doing.

BiggNife

Dude is super talented and charming. Someone is going to sweep him up soon. Wouldn't surprise me if it's Sony.

It's just a bummer because it seemed like after years of promoting sub-par stuff, he was finally the spokesman for something he genuinely loved and was super passionate about. It sucks to have a job like that taken away from you.

maxcriden

Was there ever an indication the games were a Skylanders size hit or that the figures were as popular as Skylanders or amiibo? Genuinely curious, not meaning to kick them while they're down and I sincerely hope any vocationally affected by this will land on their feet and then some.

brau

Only good Disney game i can think of right of the top of my head is Aladdin from SNES... I am sure there are others, but that one comes up immediately.

jph139

Damn, and it was starting to look interesting too, with the kart racer and fighting game type thing. Not to mention how nice the figures are.

For me it was always "hmm, cool... I'm ALMOST interested!" I feel like there were a lot of people in that bracket of cool, but not cool enough.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think this leaves Activision as the only major player in the genre (yes, Amiibo, but that's a somewhat different business model).

Technically Warner hasn't left, but they haven't announced any intention of launching a new game this year, or even launching something that's not an expansion pack at some mysterious date in the future.

emb

Had to re-read the title a couple times, seems bizarre. That's a shame, by everything I've heard Infinity was good.

This is surprising. Infinity seemed to do well, and they were prepairing to build on 3.0 with expansions and cut down on further iterations.

Perhaps the cost on their end was too great to sustain. Curious to see how Activision, Nintendo, and Lego will fare moving forward.

JSevere

FUCK

heart goes out to all those people at Disney Interactive Studios and Avalanche Software who are gonna be out of jobs soon

this is really a surprise, I thought Infinity 3.0 was doing pretty well for them. I hope the last batch of figures are something special.

Kouriozan

That's really surprising for me, didn't know it was selling so bad.
Suck for people who bought the past games and was waiting for the sequels.

Sandfox

I remember a discussion about this on GAF last month so this isn't too surprising to me.

Hopefully this means the end of Skylanders and LEGO Dimensions too.

There are people(including kids) who love those games in addition to the people who are probably losing their jobs over this so that's kinda a messed up opinion to have.

It is time for Nintendo to immediately unleash the Pokemon amiibo line before the fad passes
I wouldn't really consider amiibo to be the same as these toy to life figures.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not a surprise. I thought it was pretty well known that this game struggled to ever really gain traction.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This is so weird
They were selling many figured with 3.0 and they already confirmed that they were planning many new playsets for this year after the Marvel one

With skylander struggling too this could cheers nintendo approach of not tiyng the collectible figures to a specific videogame (looking at their amiibo income)

Alucrid

Banned
you gotta think the adam boyes -> john vignocchi connection was helpful in getting some of the old lucas arts games out. wonder how hard it'll be now.

Top Bottom