• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diy tooth filling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to a professional, for the love of god. In extreme cases an untreated cavity could lead to infection and even death. Don't be stupid.

Calabi

They sell stuff for this at department stores like Walmart, but it's a TEMPORARY fix until you can get into the dentist. It's like putty, you squeeze it into the tooth and it hardens in a few minutes.

fe790517-0bed-4c8e-a849-fa36ad2376fd_1.37f2ee27e1c2c0f29139ac6cc5406701.jpeg

Edit: Also it's only like $3

Yeah I used something like this when I had to wait for a filling.

See if the dentist will pull it instead of fixing it, if you can't afford to fix it. I had a broken tooth and they gave me the option to pull it for like $20. I opted to get it fixed but at least the option was there.

Probably unlikely, but if you live near the border of Mexico, you can get a tooth filling for WAY less. I can't quote you for obvious reasons, but I'd be surprised if it were more than 80 dollars.

I had one tooth and the filling kept falling out. Finally got it crowned but just go to your local walgreens/krogers/store and buy this
450.jpg

Its temporary but itll hold you over.

Eila

Why the heck is a dental filling $400 for god's sake. That's a week's worth of minimum wage.
Cost of visiting a doctor is just ridiculous in the US.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
for the love of god don't fuck around with your teeth. There's nothing you could do that would improve your situation in anyway.

there's a good chance you'll get it infected and then you're really in trouble.

edit: also $400 is an absolute disgrace. nobody should be forced to make these sort of choices.

MrNelson

Banned
See if the dentist will pull it instead of fixing it, if you can't afford to fix it. I had a broken tooth and they gave me the option to pull it for like $20. I opted to get it fixed but at least the option was there.
If they do that though it will lead to bone loss, and then the rest of their teeth shifting thanks to the added space. Considering they'll have a hard time paying for a filling I highly doubt they'll be able to afford an implant to replace it.

Eila

Probably unlikely, but if you live near the border of Mexico, you can get a tooth filling for WAY less. I can't quote you for obvious reasons, but I'd be surprised if it were more than 80 dollars.

I had two done recently and they were about 35 dollars each. And that's with a good doctor, I could have gone cheaper. Not near the border though, so they can probably gouge the price a bit to medical tourists.

StoopKid

For the last few days ive had a pain in one of my molars and ive noticed there is a piece of filling missing. I think it may have broken off due to me clenching my teeth a lot.

Im broke as fuck right now and i was quoted $400 just to fix it. Anyone here ever fill in a tooth before? I was thinking of slowly dropping super glue in the hope until it filled in.

Is there another substance i can use to cover it up?

giphy.gif

Dishwalla

Banned
lol jesus. DIY tooth filling is something that should never be attempted, or even thought of as a possibility. There is no way it doesn't turn out badly.

Mendrox

For the last few days ive had a pain in one of my molars and ive noticed there is a piece of filling missing. I think it may have broken off due to me clenching my teeth a lot.

Im broke as fuck right now and i was quoted $400 just to fix it. Anyone here ever fill in a tooth before? I was thinking of slowly dropping super glue in the hope until it filled in.

Is there another substance i can use to cover it up?

New toothes are more expensive. Don't do that shit or you will pay later for that.

Just to give you an estimation. I live in Germany and I get two new toothes in the next few months. Will cost me about 7000€ altogether...in Germany. :)

Your teeths are one of the most important things that you have, don't abuse them and always care them or you will pay for that.

Skyzard

Banned
Lmao.

Tooth pain makes people do crazy things, I know.

Risk of serious infection OP, get it done properly.

Good luck dude, student dentist is probably the better way to go.

Damn the US medical system is fucked. Cost me $85AUD for an X-ray and filling last month.

New toothes are more expensive. Don't do that shit or you will pay later for that.

Just to give you an estimation. I live in Germany and I get two new toothes in the next few months. Will cost me about 7000€ altogether...in Germany. :)

Your teeths are one of the most important things that you have, don't abuse them and always care them or you will pay for that.

Just a heads up, the plural for tooth is teeth. "Toothes" and "teeths" aren't used.

I had two done recently and they were about 35 dollars each. And that's with a good doctor, I could have gone cheaper. Not near the border though, so they can probably gouge the price a bit to medical tourists.

They could "gouge" it much more than that and still be a deal.

dc3k

This happened to me once. I had this awful pain in my tooth for weeks, and couldn't afford to go to the dentist. I happened to be remodelling my bathroom at the time so I asked the contractor if he had any leftover caulk from the spa install that I could borrow for a minute. About 45 minutes later (I fucked up by not using a mirror the first try) and I was good as new. You should try that.

Zoe

Why the heck is a dental filling $400 for god's sake. That's a week's worth of minimum wage.
Cost of visiting a doctor is just ridiculous in the US.
It's more than just a filling if it's costing him $400.

Kthulhu

don't be an idiot. go to the dentist before you get an infection that costs even more money to fix.

Fucking this.

My friend had a cavity for two years and had constant jaw pain and headaches. Hi finally went to the dentist and they found he had an infection that was halfway to his eye.

He didnt realize that a tooth infection can kill you and freaked out when he found out.

Mega

Banned
WTF? You have pain in the tooth and you're thinking of refilling it? You can't do that! A dentist needs to see what's going on in there with x-rays, clean it (you probably have bacteria and a new cavity), and refill it properly. Sealing up an infection will probably make it worse and spread an infection that could get deadly... although the pain would get so unbearable you'd probably run to an emergency room before that.

Daedardus

Just go with the dentist option OP. I had a festering cavity in one of my molars once, eventually my tooth broke off and the infection broke loose, making me sick for a few days until the dentist could see me. Only option was to get the tooth pulled. Granted, it didn't cost as much as a filling, but now there's a space between my teeth and an implant will cost me €1000.

Fucking this.

My friend had a cavity for two years and had constant jaw pain and headaches. Hi finally went to the dentist and they found he had an infection that was halfway to his eye.

He didnt realize that a tooth infection can kill you and freaked out when he found out.
My brother lost every one of his upper teeth despite most of them not having physical damage because he let an infection eat at the base of his jaw. And waited until he couldn't physically handle the pain anymore.

This shit is serious OP just go to the damn dentist.

Triz

I had a buddy just get completely shitfaced and take a screwdriver and a hammer to his tooth. Broke 20 year old dentistry. He knocked the tooth out right in front of me and I couldn't believe what I was witnessing.

Go to the damn dentist. They have payment plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom