• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diy tooth filling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNelson

Banned
Yes it is, just remove the tooth and have one missing
It isn't always that simple. Once a tooth is gone bone loss will occur if an implant isn't placed shortly after. Also depending on the person that new opening can cause the surrounding teeth to shift and fuck with your bite.

Call every dentist in a radius around you that you can and see if any of them are doing any free work days soon. All the ones around me do that once or twice a year where it's first-come, first-serve and they do one service with no charge (I think it's a tax write-off for them, so why not from their perspective).

This is advice to everyone. You can get as little as a cleaning or get something like a root canal done.

Kadin

My brother lost every one of his upper teeth despite most of them not having physical damage because he let an infection eat at the base of his jaw. And waited until he couldn't physically handle the pain anymore.

This shit is serious OP just go to the damn dentist.
Did he have any issues with his heart because that's one of the first places a nasty infection like that can travel to (endocarditis)? I hope not.

I used to be the same way when I had my first major cavity and since reading about all the shit that can happen, I get in there at the first sign of anything being off.

I just put super glue over my bread filling. don't listen to these people. it's safe. I don't notice anything different, I just wanted to test it out. Obviously don't lick the glue.. just smell it first and apply.

giphy.gif

Eggiem

I think it may have broken off due to me clenching my teeth a lot.

Im broke as fuck right now and i was quoted $400 just to fix it. Anyone here ever fill in a tooth before?

I had a similar problem. One tiny edge of my incisor tooth has magically disappeared over night. Things like this are completely free (covered by health insurance) in Germany.

Edit: Ohh, a piece of filling! Yeah, 400$ is way too expensive for something like this. I payed 80€ for my white composite filling. ;/

Definitely going to recommend going the "temp fix" products posted, as well as the dental school route.

But getting more quotes wouldn't hurt. I had a tooth filled a couple years ago and they used some sort of filling that was far more expensive and my insurance wouldn't cover - they did this without even asking me, and I wasn't aware there were choices in terms of fillings since I've (thankfully) had virtually no dental issues.

My brother lost every one of his upper teeth despite most of them not having physical damage because he let an infection eat at the base of his jaw. And waited until he couldn't physically handle the pain anymore.

This shit is serious OP just go to the damn dentist.

Hes pretty dumb, both dentists and GP simply give antibiotics fight tooth infections. takes about 1 day for pain to reduce and 3 days for swelling to drop with amoxicillin/penicillin

Codeblue

Hes pretty dumb, both dentists and GP simply give antibiotics fight tooth infections

Antibiotics do not resolve tooth infections. They relieve associate pain and hinder growth for a couple of weeks, but the only way to get rid of a tooth infection is to pull the tooth or get a root canal.

HeySeuss

Don't use superglue man. Use that 2 part epoxy. That's more similar to what dentists use you just gotta make sure you bite down before it cures so you don't have any irregularities.

400 USD to fix a filling? Wow... I thought they were pricey in Canada....

Did you tell them you have no insurance? Maybe they can give you a break

Labrys

Maybe see if they can do a payment plan? I'd say that'd be a better long-term solution than potentially making it worse.

Zok310

Banned
Umm, go to a professional dude. Gum infection will ruin your life if you diy and cause an infection. That shit feels like a fucking worm is slowly eating your brain.

Strimei

Jesus Christ, don't do it yourself.

A half-assed filling will just make things worse. I had a dentist do a poor job and my tooth eventually fractured, and that's with just regular filling materials. Super Glue? That's insane.

Re: Having a tooth pulled - if you ever intend to be on a Medicaid dental plan, they do not (or, at least, my experience is that they do not) cover reparative dental work on any quadrant of the mouth which has had a tooth other than a wisdom tooth extracted. If you've had a tooth extracted in a quadrant, unless you get an implant to replace it, all they'll cover is extractions until you have a partial denture put in on that side.

Also, they won't cover any reparative work on a tooth opposite an extracted tooth. And if you have the opposing tooth extracted, then that entire quadrant only qualifies for extractions / eventually a partial denture as well.

So, basically, if you have it pulled, and you are (or ever may be) on Medicaid, I hope you're ready for dentures in the near future.

bardia

People here acting outraged that the filling is $400, don't realize that fillings are priced based on how many surfaces it covers (there are 5 surfaces to your teeth). If the filling is 5 surfaces, $400 for the filling and an exam is reasonable. If you're paying $400 for a one surface filling then go find a different dentist.

source: I'm a dentist

People here acting outraged that the filling is $400, don't realize that fillings are priced based on how many surfaces it covers (there are 5 surfaces to your teeth). If the filling is 5 surfaces, $400 for the filling and an exam is reasonable. If you're paying $400 for a one surface filling then go find a different dentist.

source: I'm a dentist

how much would it cost to knock out my teeth and give me miley cyrus teeth? ballpark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom