• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want crossplay on PS4? Make your voices be heard.

Not true. There's some ps3/vita/mobile. Crossplay too.

Wipeout HD and need for speed rivals for example
which games are cross play with mobile?
I know and those are games that fits well for these.
RL and Minecraft too.
Sony should work a way to do it.
But for example I dont wait PC players on Dark Souls or Overwatch.
It works...for some games and for some genres, for others just don't.
ALL games fit well for cross play. If you don't want it most games probably let you turn it off

Toe-Knee

which games are cross play with mobile?
ALL games fit well for cross play. If you don't want it most games probably let you turn it off

Need for speed rivals has an app where you can control the police. Setup ambushes and control helicopters etc.

I think it works with both psn and xbox live depending which login you use.

I play mainly PS4/Switch/PC and even with $25 in my psn account I'm not feeling like buying ps+ for the $50 discount. Sony's customer service has been trash, and the lack of crossplay just shows how isolated they want to be in the market.

It's at the point where I'll buy exclusives and single player games with a steep discount but they turned me off going digital after being that way since launch, arrogant Sony is at it's finest lately, and I don't have a problem just going to PC for multiplayer games.

They need a good kick up their ass to get digital refunds going, fuckers don't even let you refund pre-orders that end up being delayed after the fact...

Need for speed rivals has an app where you can control the police. Setup ambushes and control helicopters etc.

I think it works with both psn and xbox live depending which login you use.

so it's just an app that interacts with the game, not an actual version of a game that's an app for mobile?

People here act like games like CoD, Destiny, BF and all huge multiplayer oriented games will become cross play.
This will never happen until MS, SONY and Ninty allow K/M support on consoles. Can not imagine the outcry when PC gamers devastate and obliterate every console gamer in any FPS or TPS game online.

inner-G

Banned
I don't want it.

It would take resources from Sony to constantly support, and I don't even play online or have PS+. I'd rather them focus on hardware and developing games, not making Xbox or other people's games work with their system.

CookTrain

People here act like games like CoD, Destiny, BF and all huge multiplayer oriented games will become cross play.
This will never happen until MS, SONY and Ninty allow K/M support on consoles. Can not imagine the outcry when PC gamers devastate and obliterate every console gamer in any FPS or TPS game online.

I mean, for the most part I agree with you. There would need to be controls for that kind of stuff. But it's not an all or nothing arrangement. You can still link all the platforms together and figure it out from there. For example, allow it in private matches to begin with while you work it out.

What's more. Gears 4 actually does have controllers and M+KB players in the same pools, so where there's a will, there's a way.

I don't want it.

It would take resources from Sony to constantly support, and I don't even play online or have PS+. I'd rather them focus on hardware and developing games, not make XBL work on their system.

Sony doesn't have to do anything extraneous as the platform has games that support crossplay between the PC (Mac?) and the Wii U (some chess game, I think). Sony would probably allow support w/ the Switch but not with Microsoft.

Anything but Microsoft.

Toe-Knee

so it's just an app that interacts with the game, not an actual version of a game that's an app for mobile?

Well I don't think the actual game would have been fair to have them playing against people on console control wise.

But they are playing together in real time.

Aim_Ed

Yaaas, I play on PC but I still wanna be able to play with my console friends. More power to y'all.

Don't quit until segregated online is a last gen ting.

Well I don't think the actual game would have been fair to have them playing against people on console control wise.

But they are playing together in real time.
so it's not an actual version of the game then; it's just an app that interacts with the game. the same happened with mass effect 3 back in the day. it's not exactly the same thing as cross play

NeonBlack

I don't want it.

It would take resources from Sony to constantly support, and I don't even play online or have PS+. I'd rather them focus on hardware and developing games, not making Xbox or other people's games work with their system.

You don't play online so this wouldn't affect you. You don't think there's a network infrastructure team?

Also, It would be up to developers to make the online work.

I don't want it. Especially if it requires an Xbox Live account/login.

Rocket League doesn't require Xbox Live.

These are very flimsy reasons.

You all getting conned by Microsoft is astonishing. Microsoft knew Sony doesnt want to work with them, they announced the Minecraft crossplay because their installed base is way smaller than Sony. Stop pretending for one second that you are actively doing what Microsoft wants you to do. They are a buisness and they caught on how the internet is all about witch hunts. They hoped this would happen, make Sony look like the bad guy when in reality, they are desperte for more players and you all are suckers. Unite the players? This movement was a genious move by Microsoft. If Trump can manipulate people, surely anyone or any company can.
Mate, the naïvety of some ITT is quite a sight and they've allowed themselves to be played like a fiddle by Microsoft.
Oh no! People are being manipulated in to fighting for their own self interests! Someone stop these madmen!

inner-G

Banned
You don't play online so this wouldn't affect you. You don't think there's a network infrastructure team?

It would take resources at sony to keep cross-platform stuff working, instead of using those resources on developing things I want/use like playstations and first-party games, so yes it would.

They shouldn't sink money into enabling cross-platform play on games that are already better played elsewhere

It would take resources at sony to keep cross-platform stuff working, instead of using those resources on developing things I want/use like playstations and first-party games, so yes it would.

They shouldn't sink money into enabling cross-platform play on games that are already better played elsewhere

They literally have to do nothing but ok it. The technical stuff is handled by the devs.

I agree the best would destroy but I used to get a lot of grief/called a hacker because I played Titanfall 1 with a controller on pc which had auto aim. I would easily get high on the scoreboard in most games so it isn't impossible for controller players to keep up with the same assists that are available now on consoles.

tkalamba

I commend Sony on their decision... They are absolutely right.. Sony has a job to protect its userbase. It comes down to the grey area of online liabilities, and as a company and a platform they must protect their own. This is the correct decision.. no matter how many butt hurt fans say otherwise.. Sony way to go!!

So you are implying other services dont protect their users? If anything, wasn't Sony the one who suffered a data breach? If we judge this historically, Sony have demonstrated they haven't done a good job in the past to do so yet it doesn't seem to be a concern for the other parties in the discussions.

Hell the highest vulnerablitly would probably come from the PC side of things, and Sony already does crossplay in limited capacities with PC, so this is a non-issue.

I agree the best would destroy but I used to get a lot of grief/called a hacker because I played Titanfall 1 with a controller on pc which had auto aim. I would easily get high on the scoreboard in most games so it isn't impossible for controller players to keep up with the same assists that are available now on consoles.
i think most games that are cross play have an option to turn it off

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely a lame decision as it just causes niche games to die faster when the community is split thin across platforms.

Also sucks for things like Tekken 7 where the PC version is superior but the player base will be largest on PS4 (not that we could play with them much lately with all the online issues the PS4 port has.

I get why they do it as they're dominating the console market so console gamers on their system don't have to worry about having enough people to play with in the vast majority of games. Just sucks for smaller titles that do have limited communities and for people on other platforms where the base is smaller.

klaushm

They'd have to have people testing for network stability and stuff as well as security/glitches with different types of connections, no?

It's on the developers, not them.

Also, even if it was on their hand to handle all server side, why wasn't it the excuse they used? Why didn't they told that instead of "think about the children"?

Saying they are not committed to some incompatibility in network policies would be a thousand times better than what they did.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Consider this: it's not just about increasing population for low-population games, it also increases the availabile population for niche playlists in popular games.

inner-G

Banned
You just said that you don't even have PS+, so why do you care how they spend my money on network stuff?

It's all just revenue for them. They don't have to spend all the PS+ money on the network (I'm sure they don't) they use their revenue for all sorts of things like developing games and systems.

The Artisan said:
the burden is on the developers and the for most part the developers have said it's easy
Third-party developers don't know what all Sony monitors or does internally, so I have little faith that they can speak definitively on the issue. It's not a PC environment.

Third-party developers don't know what all Sony monitors or does internally, so I have little faith that they can speak definitively on the issue. It's not a PC environment.
third party devs have already made this a reality and it's been ok'd by sony. Rocket League debuted as a console exclusive on Ps4 with PC cross play as a highlighted feature, same with Street Fighter 5 which sony treated as a 1st party game

Rocket League developer knows all about psn they already have ps4 pc crossplay

I'm curious. How many of you who are demanding cross play are willing to speak with your wallet? If you have a PS4, are you willing to sell it and buy an Xbox One over this? I feel like if you understand that this is a business decision and that companies aren't your friends or doing you any favors, then why do you expect Sony to give you this functionality at the expense of their business? That seems like a crazy expectation.

The only way to combat that is to hit their business and that means giving money to the competition. Microsoft's DRM policies changed when pre-orders were low and everyone was pre-ordering the competition. That was a direct impact on their business financially and as a result it changed. So I think unless you're willing to speak with your wallet, and convince others to join with you to hit their bottom line, Sony has no real incentive to give in when they have the upper hand and you're still willing to give them money regardless. It's just noise to them at that point that will blow over.

I'm not saying do it now, but will you do it soon if it becomes clear that they aren't listening? Support the competition is how this is going to get changed in my view. You have to show them that they are actually losing because of this choice.

CookTrain

I'm curious. How many of you who are demanding cross play are willing to speak with your wallet? If you have a PS4, are you willing to sell it and buy an Xbox One over this? I feel like if you understand that this is a business decision and that companies aren't your friends or doing you any favors, then why do you expect Sony to give you this functionality at the expense of their business? That seems like a crazy expectation. The only way to combat that is to hit their business and that means giving money to the competition. Microsoft's DRM policies changed when pre-orders were low and everyone was pre-ordering the competition. That was a direct impact on their business financially and as a result it changed. So I think unless you're willing to speak with your wallet, and convince others to join with you to hit their bottom line, Sony has no real incentive to give in when they have the upper hand and you're still willing to give them money regardless. It's just noise to them at that point that will blow over. I'm not saying do it now, but will you do it soon if it becomes clear that they aren't listening? Support the competition is how this is going to get changed in my view. You have to show them that they are actually losing because of this choice.

I've said from the beginning, once the Minecraft update starts percolating through Youtube and kids see just what they're missing out on... I really predict this is exactly the kind of thing we'll start seeing.

Obviously got no proof for that one, but I'm more than happy to wait and see and I'll eat my crow if it's a dud.

Nephtes

I'm curious. How many of you who are demanding cross play are willing to speak with your wallet? If you have a PS4, are you willing to sell it and buy an Xbox One over this? I feel like if you understand that this is a business decision and that companies aren't your friends or doing you any favors, then why do you expect Sony to give you this functionality at the expense of their business? That seems like a crazy expectation. The only way to combat that is to hit their business and that means giving money to the competition. Microsoft's DRM policies changed when pre-orders were low and everyone was pre-ordering the competition. That was a direct impact on their business financially and as a result it changed. So I think unless you're willing to speak with your wallet, and convince others to join with you to hit their bottom line, Sony has no real incentive to give in when they have the upper hand and you're still willing to give them money regardless. It's just noise to them at that point that will blow over. I'm not saying do it now, but will you do it soon if it becomes clear that they aren't listening? Support the competition is how this is going to get changed in my view. You have to show them that they are actually losing because of this choice.

I have a PS4...
I'm already speaking with my wallet and have been since the beginning of this generation when it was clear to me Sony's network still sucks compared to Live.

I don't buy 3rd party titles on my PS4... I get them on XOne.
I send dusty pictures of my PS4 to Sony execs demanding more consumer friendly business practices like cross play...and better network infrastructure.

What if I don't give a fuck about the whole crossplay thing and think this is completely blown out of proportion, childish and laughable, and it's Sonys right to not support it and anybody who thinks differently should just sell his PS4 or not buy one? Any petitions for that?

I've said from the beginning, once the Minecraft update starts percolating through Youtube and kids see just what they're missing out on... I really predict this is exactly the kind of thing we'll start seeing.

Obviously got no proof for that one, but I'm more than happy to wait and see and I'll eat my crow if it's a dud.

I think they will just resort to iOS/Android versions and move on and it'll be barely a blip on Sony's radar as a result. I'd love to be proven wrong because that would mean Sony might have to cave, but I don't see it happening at the moment. It'll be fascinating to see what the fallout is though.

CookTrain

What if I don't give a fuck about the whole crossplay thing and think this is completely blown out of proportion and it's Sonys right to not support it and anybody who thinks differently should just sell his PS4 or not buy one? Any petitions for that?
Sure, go for it. Get one started. No-one is stopping you. :)

What if I don't give a fuck about the whole crossplay thing and think this is completely blown out of proportion, childish and laughable, and it's Sonys right to not support it and anybody who thinks differently should just sell his PS4 or not buy one? Any petitions for that?

No. You should start one.

klaushm

I'm curious. How many of you who are demanding cross play are willing to speak with your wallet? If you have a PS4, are you willing to sell it and buy an Xbox One over this? I feel like if you understand that this is a business decision and that companies aren't your friends or doing you any favors, then why do you expect Sony to give you this functionality at the expense of their business? That seems like a crazy expectation.

The only way to combat that is to hit their business and that means giving money to the competition. Microsoft's DRM policies changed when pre-orders were low and everyone was pre-ordering the competition. That was a direct impact on their business financially and as a result it changed. So I think unless you're willing to speak with your wallet, and convince others to join with you to hit their bottom line, Sony has no real incentive to give in when they have the upper hand and you're still willing to give them money regardless. It's just noise to them at that point that will blow over.

I'm not saying do it now, but will you do it soon if it becomes clear that they aren't listening? Support the competition is how this is going to get changed in my view. You have to show them that they are actually losing because of this choice.

I don't agree with everything you said, but I can't get back the money already spent on my PS4.

That said, I think I'll go with Switch. My last Nintendo console was SNES, I never played Zelda, and only played Super Mario World, of any Mario entries. I couldn't be less influenced by their exclusives. I will give it a try, because I don't want an Xbox.

I'm with PlayStation since PS1.

For those that somehow thinks this move would "cost" Sony, consider that something like 2/3 of PS4 owners don't even subscribe to PS+, with a game like Minecraft it may get some of them to subscribe to play with their friends on other platforms and make Sony $$$

njs15

Id love for someone to list 3, no, TWO reasons why crossplay is a bad thing from a CONSUMER viewpoint. Fuck your business perspective.

People are acting like crossplay (in the long term including huge third-party titles, not just with Minecraft), is a huge win for every consumer - but that's ignoring the fact that most gamers already in the ecosystem have preferences.

For me, personally, I've invested and spent thousands on the PS4 ecosystem. Because of that, and because I want Sony and its studios to continue the type of production they've shown throughout the PS4 era, I want Sony as a business to be healthy. As a consumer of PS4 games, mostly, it's in my best interest for Sony to not make choices that could negatively impact business. It's just like buying a stock.

There are certainly advantages to universal cross-play, sure - higher player pools, connecting with friends etc. - but I feel like a lot of people are focusing on hypothetical benefits (everybody in my office wants to play Game X after work!) as opposed to real-world scenarios here. Personally, approaching 30, most of my friends from the 360 era have just quit gaming. I've made new friends on PSN. I'm also fine playing against (or with) random people from matchmaking. It's just really not that big of a factor for a lot of people.

The thing is, though, universal cross-play has massive ramifications for the industry. Doesn't anyone find it a bit suspicious that Microsoft is banging the cross-play drum just as we're approaching a holiday season where they're set to launch a new console that will, according to them, give you the best experience for all multi-platform releases? Wouldn't you want to be able to boast, as Microsoft, that you can deliver the best experience *and* you don't have to abandon your friends? Buying an X1X would be, for many, a no brainer. Microsoft isn't doing this because it wants to make you happy, it's just as much a business strategy as Sony's denial of crossplay.

Nephtes

Would it be a good idea to start petitioning Bungie and Blizzard to enable CrossPlay between PC and Xbox for Destiny 2 and Overwatch?

More things need to go CrossPlay and leave the PS4 version out to light a fire under Sony's ass to make this happen.

CookTrain

Would it be a good idea to start petitioning Bungie and Blizzard to enable CrossPlay between PC and Xbox for Destiny 2 and Overwatch?

More things need to go CrossPlay and leave the PS4 version out to light a fire under Sony's ass to make this happen.

I don't know about leaving anyone out, but I definitely think as much noise as possible to any dev that'll listen about crossplay is only a good thing.

tkalamba

I actually recall somewhere that Blizzard is keeping an eye on how things play out regarding crossplay between consoles. They dont want to do it with PC due to keyboard + mouse advantages.

People are acting like crossplay (in the long term including huge third-party titles, not just with Minecraft), is a huge win for every consumer - but that's ignoring the fact that most gamers already in the ecosystem have preferences.

For me, personally, I've invested and spent thousands on the PS4 ecosystem. Because of that, and because I want Sony and its studios to continue the type of production they've shown throughout the PS4 era, I want Sony as a business to be healthy. As a consumer of PS4 games, mostly, it's in my best interest for Sony to not make choices that could negatively impact business. It's just like buying a stock.

There are certainly advantages to universal cross-play, sure - higher player pools, connecting with friends etc. - but I feel like a lot of people are focusing on hypothetical benefits (everybody in my office wants to play Game X after work!) as opposed to real-world scenarios here. Personally, approaching 30, most of my friends from the 360 era have just quit gaming. I've made new friends on PSN. I'm also fine playing against (or with) random people from matchmaking. It's just really not that big of a factor for a lot of people.

The thing is, though, universal cross-play has massive ramifications for the industry. Doesn't anyone find it a bit suspicious that Microsoft is banging the cross-play drum just as we're approaching a holiday season where they're set to launch a new console that will, according to them, give you the best experience for all multi-platform releases? Wouldn't you want to be able to boast, as Microsoft, that you can deliver the best experience *and* you don't have to abandon your friends? Buying an X1X would be, for many, a no brainer. Microsoft isn't doing this because it wants to make you happy, it's just as much a business strategy as Sony's denial of crossplay.

And that's exactly what breeds the best competition. Don't you want Sony to have the opportunity to say the same next holiday season and bring you some shiny new hardware.

Top Bottom